Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
gently caress me Vikings is good. Almost done with season 3 (started just before the holidays) and I can't stop watching. That huge battle near the end of s3 was just bonkers. So many crossbows!

Also I might be in love with Lagertha.

Edit: Oh my god the spike wheel. This is some Game of Thrones level poo poo, I love this show.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Catching up on the thread and looking for new stuff to watch, thanks for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Falling Water rec's. Both look interesting, I'll check 'em out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

There was also an edgy comic book version of Mad Max Wacky Races a year ago but it never went viral in the way that Woke Flintstones and Tennessee Williams Snagglepuss did.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

precision posted:

And from what I'm given to understand, the B&B reunion/reboot/continuation/whatever didn't even do that well. :(

EL BROMANCE posted:

Less forgot, and more struggles to do it as he’s gotten older. I thought the revival was great, and riffing on MTV shows was a great idea from both a business point of view, and to show how things have changed.

Beavis sounded like Dale Gribble at times, but I liked it. B&B's riff of the 16 and Pregnant segment where the girl fails her math exam was one of my all-time favorite B&B moments, actually.

Butthead (imitating the teacher): "I know you're not very good at math, but that means you didn't pass."
Beavis: (sings) "I'm comin' hoooooooome..."

e- Also from B&B/16 and Pregnant, "I bet this guy growls on the PA at his job at the restaurant." (Growls) "WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL....KRAMER PARTY OF THREE YOUR TABLE IS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREADYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY."

Looking up clips on YouTube, "Let's see how these things turn out" referring to Farrah Abraham's implants was...interestingly foreshadowing.

nate fisher posted:

That’s the episode with Bunk and McNulty doing police work in that apartment, and it’s just them going ‘gently caress’ and ‘motherfucker’ the whole time.

Jesus Christ The Wire holds the gently caress up.

Yep. Five straight minutes of f-bombs.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 5, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cbs-all-access-amazon-prime-channel-1202654346/

CBS is doing the sane thing and letting you sub to All Access though Amazon channels. Price is still the same so value proposition doesn't change much, but it's much better infrastructure which should be better quality. It's also one fewer login to manage.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bull3964 posted:

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cbs-all-access-amazon-prime-channel-1202654346/

CBS is doing the sane thing and letting you sub to All Access though Amazon channels. Price is still the same so value proposition doesn't change much, but it's much better infrastructure which should be better quality. It's also one fewer login to manage.

Man, I signed up for the one month trial with ads so I could watch No Activity (which is really strong, BTW) and holy poo poo, gently caress the CBS All Access app.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Wire has some painfully bad scenes like the whole chess game metaphor and when Omar is testifying in court about how guns and briefcases are equivalent and the crowd is all shocked. McNulty's accent also sucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No Activity is so good I'm mad they shunted it off to die on All Access.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mu Zeta posted:

The Wire has some painfully bad scenes like the whole chess game metaphor and when Omar is testifying in court about how guns and briefcases are equivalent and the crowd is all shocked. McNulty's accent also sucks.

The chess game metaphor didn't seem so bad to the younger version of me back in 2002. That said it stood out really bad during my recent season 1 rewatch.

Moving on to the docks in the next week. I haven't watched The Wire since it original aired, so I am curious if it will hold up as my top show of all-time. There is a lot more competition for that spot now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The chess game metaphor is exactly the kind of thing someone who's smart, but uneducated would come up with. It totally fits the character.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm sad there isn't a 60 Days In thread.

There's a woman lawyer this season who said that prisoners have it too easy and had both her shirt pulled down by the inmates and had a nervous breakdown on the first couple days. Good thing she gets to take a break and call her family, unlike the people that are in there for real.

Another participant is a cop and he's already realizing how hosed up jail is and has said "maybe I won't be arresting for minor poo poo I usually do anymore, this place is hell."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kiernan Shipka is Sabrina in the Riverdale spin-off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

oh wow that is spot on casting

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm sad there isn't a 60 Days In thread.

There's a woman lawyer this season who said that prisoners have it too easy and had both her shirt pulled down by the inmates and had a nervous breakdown on the first couple days. Good thing she gets to take a break and call her family, unlike the people that are in there for real.

Another participant is a cop and he's already realizing how hosed up jail is and has said "maybe I won't be arresting for minor poo poo I usually do anymore, this place is hell."

I never heard of the show before and it sounds like a terrible idea.

quote:

Robert Holcomb, a teacher living in Philadelphia, spent a month in solitary confinement during his five-week stay in jail for tampering with a security camera.

quote:

Their goal is to obtain evidence of questionable or illegal activities within the jail that might be missed by the correctional officers and surveillance systems.

I'm sure that dude witnessed a lot of crime in his solitary cell.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
{Lost} I was worried about thread necromancy but its in archives now anyway so was there ever an in-universe explanation of how a plane that took off from Sydney en route to Los Angeles and ended up in the Sunda Trench and nobody seemed to even regard it as peculiar? Even for a plane that's an unlikely place to end up with seemingly nobody noticing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

{Lost} I was worried about thread necromancy but its in archives now anyway so was there ever an in-universe explanation of how a plane that took off from Sydney en route to Los Angeles and ended up in the Sunda Trench and nobody seemed to even regard it as peculiar? Even for a plane that's an unlikely place to end up with seemingly nobody noticing.

I wanna say that came up in the show and there was an explanation but I can't recall specifics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I recall at one point they said they wouldn't find the plane because they were looking in the wrong place.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, in the first episode when they find the pilot. They're a thousand miles off course because their radio went out and they turned back to Fiji.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

holy poo poo

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hakkesshu posted:

The chess game metaphor is exactly the kind of thing someone who's smart, but uneducated would come up with. It totally fits the character.

I think it's been overused to a great degree since then. I feel like I've seen so much 'chess as a metaphor' scenes since that show and I don't think it was a particularly new idea to begin with. But the scene works because it's a metaphor that the other characters understand. He's demonstrating it to the other characters in the scene, it's not like he's talking directly to the audience. We just get it by proxy. It's like later on when they have the McDonalds conversation.

Also as for Dan Harmon, it's a little more than 'My boss was mean to me'. Ganz pretty much says that he abused his power with her by praising her writing because he wanted to gently caress her, and then turning on her and what she had written when she didn't reciprocate. That is far more insidious than 'Oh my boss is a dick'.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Based on a positive review from Sepinwall I started watching British show The End of the F**king World, which came out internationally on Netflix yesterday, and drat y'all this is some really really good poo poo. Very dark comedy - kinda like even more sociopathic teenage versions of the leads in You're the Worst go on the run. Check it out.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Escobarbarian posted:

Based on a positive review from Sepinwall I started watching British show The End of the F**king World, which came out internationally on Netflix yesterday, and drat y'all this is some really really good poo poo. Very dark comedy - kinda like even more sociopathic teenage versions of the leads in You're the Worst go on the run. Check it out.

Hah, I just finished the first episode, also thanks to Sepinwall's recommendation. It's really good so far.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s like Wes Anderson but for sociopaths.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

theflyingexecutive posted:

It’s like Wes Anderson but for sociopaths.

Oh yeah it totally is Moonrise Kingdom x You're The Worst.

Also I just finished it. Fantastic little show, I really hope there is no season 2. Also someone could probably edit it down to movie length and it would still work fine.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I wasn't that into Riverdale, but if they actually commit to this, like with the magic and everything, I will watch every single episode.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, in the first episode when they find the pilot. They're a thousand miles off course because their radio went out and they turned back to Fiji.

Yeah but even so the trench they were found in was faaaaar away from Fiji. Like it's 1500 miles from Fiji to mainland Australia and nearly 2000 to Sydney itself. It's another 2500 miles from Sydney to Bali, which is where I think the "plane" was located. It'd be like if JFK Junior's plane was found in the waters off Los Angeles instead of Martha's Vineyard and nobody says a thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The island and jacob pushes them there obviously

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah but even so the trench they were found in was faaaaar away from Fiji. Like it's 1500 miles from Fiji to mainland Australia and nearly 2000 to Sydney itself. It's another 2500 miles from Sydney to Bali, which is where I think the "plane" was located. It'd be like if JFK Junior's plane was found in the waters off Los Angeles instead of Martha's Vineyard and nobody says a thing.

It's a bad show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And when you stop to think about it, you shouldn't get polar bears in tropical regions

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rarity posted:

And when you stop to think about it, you shouldn't get polar bears in tropical regions

That poor smoke monster was taken from his herd at a very young age.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Didn't the island move locations? So its theoretically possible that the island was in a place that made sense and then moved?

Lost was dumb.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't they show that the polar bears were brought to the island by Dharma?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They were kept in captivity by Dharma but I can't remember if they brought them there or if them being there was part of what they were investigating about the island.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like JJ Abrams is all about the set up but can't do a payoff

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
maybe it's just me, but i thought lost was a pretty good show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
also i don't recall this being posted in here

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/936263553404882945

:allears:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

It's a pretty good show so long as you don't mind that the explanation for why weird things happen on a magic island is because it's a magic island.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

precision posted:

Yep it was great despite any issues I have with how it finished.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What issues did you have about how it finished?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unfortunately I believe they've said Good Omens isn't airing until next year.