Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Good Place Season 2: She forking hates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes, it is. Only the current season, however.

Worse still, only the most recent five episodes, which means to really catch up you have to go to NBC.com.

It's a weird system that makes no sense. Clearly a Bad Place design.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t understand how the train stopped Bad Janet’s scan, but hey, metaphysics.

It didn't stop it, she just didn't scan in that direction, since that's the edge of the neighborhood, she just scanned 180 degrees away from the tracks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
That makes perfect sense. Why else would have have specifically told them to hide under the train. :doh:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/930246803957657600
https://twitter.com/sghbro/status/949357486372478977

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CountFosco posted:

We've only seen bad Janets and good Janet. Perhaps by spending a lot of time with Mindy St Claire, Derek will continue to grow and become more "with it" but in a neutral way, becoming something like a "medium" Janet.

Show gonna end with everyone in the medium place.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Eh, it seems to me that the show will end with the bad place having fundamentally transformed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Can't you tell? I'm practically squealing like a birthday girl."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd be down for the Jaguars winning the Superbowl just so that can be thrown into Jason's face. Bonus points if instead Michael tells him that with all the reboots more than 100 years have passed on earth and he's actually missed several Jaguar Superbowl wins and Blake Bortles has been dead for 50 years.

If they make it to the good place I'd love a Bortles cameo there.

precision posted:

"Can't you tell? I'm practically squealing like a birthday girl."

I love Mark Evan Jackson, I listen to PFT's Spontaneanation podcast and he's on there fairly frequently and kills it every time. He's also basically a hometown guy for me since he came from Michigan and helps run the Detroit Creativity Project to promote improv in Detroit, and I live in SE Michigan.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

NowonSA posted:

I love Mark Evan Jackson, I listen to PFT's Spontaneanation podcast and he's on there fairly frequently and kills it every time. He's also basically a hometown guy for me since he came from Michigan and helps run the Detroit Creativity Project to promote improv in Detroit, and I live in SE Michigan.

I saw the Workjuice Improv show with MEJ (and PFT, and Hal Lublin and Mark Gagliardi and Janet Varney and a bunch of others) and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

On that note, PFT guest appearance when? You know it's gotta happen one day. Maybe he can be the Good Place equivalent of Sean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I highly doubt there even is a Good Place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

precision posted:

I highly doubt there even is a Good Place.

Nah, there has to be, the Medium Place and the existence of Good Janet don't make sense without it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arist posted:

Nah, there has to be, the Medium Place and the existence of Good Janet don't make sense without it

True, let me update: I highly doubt there are any humans in the Good Place. We're going to find out that all of humanity has ended up in some type of Bad place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

precision posted:

True, let me update: I highly doubt there are any humans in the Good Place. We're going to find out that all of humanity has ended up in some type of Bad place.

That would imply that Mindy St. Clair is somehow the actual best humanity has to offer

Not gonna say you're wrong but that's an interesting implication :v:

WingsOfSteel
Nov 13, 2007

Even Dr. Octopus can learn something from the Internet!

Gobbeldygook posted:

Absolutely this. I think he's going to try to hide them in other alt-Good Places, so now the group has to pretend to be demons in disguise.

pwn posted:

E09, 2018.01.04: Leap to Faith
E10, 2018.01.11: Best Self
E11, 2018.01.18: Rhonda, Diana, Jake, and Trent
E12, 2018.01.25: The Burrito
E13, 2018.02.01: Somewhere Else

Then the season’s over and it’s all olympics all the time for three weeks. Truly The Bad Placep

I think you may be on to something.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

What if the alt-Good Place actually works as intended because humans are knowingly torturing humans.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

CountFosco posted:

Eh, it seems to me that the show will end with the bad place having fundamentally transformed.

It would be cool if the bad place became a purgatory where you only have to stay long enough to truly understand why you didn't get into the good place immediately.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

CountFosco posted:

We'll probably look back on the unguarded Good Place janets and go, "ohhh."

Regy Rusty posted:

That would imply that Mindy St. Clair is somehow the actual best humanity has to offer

Not gonna say you're wrong but that's an interesting implication :v:

Maybe it was the change of heart and effectiveness?

WingsOfSteel posted:

I think you may be on to something.

Hiding them in the demon population and torturing the next group? That would be consistent with the original master plan.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, all four of them trying to fit in and trying to torture other people as little as possible seems like really good material to work with. I predict that they'll actually be too good at it without even trying since they all have negative or annoying traits that could really tick off certain people.

cptn_dr posted:

I saw the Workjuice Improv show with MEJ (and PFT, and Hal Lublin and Mark Gagliardi and Janet Varney and a bunch of others) and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

On that note, PFT guest appearance when? You know it's gotta happen one day. Maybe he can be the Good Place equivalent of Sean.

I think he's wasted if he's not on the bad place side of things, I think he could really make a meal out of being evil more than being on the good side. All the people you named are A+ imrovisers too.

Whenever he does show up I'm counting on it being just for one or two episodes, he just mentioned in the comedy bang bang best of the year wrap-up that he gets told like every time he does a guest spot that they love his character, oh they absolutely have to bring him back, and then he never hears from them again. He's also on the christmas episode of mission to zyxx, a funny improv podcast with ongoing continuity set in a sci-fi universe.

I'll take bajillion dollar properties being picked up and continuing over a PFT guest spot though. They've already got a whole season of it shot, I can't believe it's taken them this long to find a home for that at least.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would be cool if the bad place became a purgatory where you only have to stay long enough to truly understand why you didn't get into the good place immediately.

This could be a good arc for the show as a whole to cover, with that being the big change that happens in the series finale. You're in a fake good place until you realize what's wrong about how you lived you life, then as you become a more moral and ethical person you earn your way into the real good place. Meanwhile all the truly awful people get the conventional physical hell tortures.

The characters of the show could become the prototype for how that works, and I'd get a kick out of a montage of Michael running a new group of 4 people over literally the entire arc and plot beats of the show as a whole to show it in action, since it's worked once and both places agree to just put them through this very similar system across the board. We'll probably get something similar to this when we see Michael setting up new "good places" and I'm looking forward to that too.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 6, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

CPColin posted:

The latter, so we don't have an extra excuse to hear about how much people don't like Jason Mantzoukas.

About that.

I've got OPINIONS. About JASON MANTZOUKAS.

You're gonna HEAR THEM.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Derek is basically a rip-off of Hodor. I hope they get sued by HBO.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

cptn_dr posted:

Alternatively: he is the Good Place equivalent of Michael. But whereas Michael spent so much time pretending to be good, everything that PFT says and does seems vaguely ominous. So even though he is genuinely trying to be helpful, all of the characters are 100% convinced that he's secretly evil. :raise:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Generic American posted:

Alternatively: he is the Good Place equivalent of Michael. But whereas Michael spent so much time pretending to be good, everything that PFT says and does seems vaguely ominous. So even though he is genuinely trying to be helpful, all of the characters are 100% convinced that he's secretly evil. :raise:

Have they sent you a job offer as a writer yet? That sounds fantastic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if there's a Good Place neighborhood where all the tortured people are actors and it's made to look like the Bad Place, and the one real resident is someone who thinks it's all real because their only true fulfillment comes from helping people.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

NowonSA posted:

helps run the Detroit Creativity Project to promote improv in Detroit,

So he's perfectly cast as one of the most evil demons ever then.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I just caught the newest episode last night (hell of a way to come back from hiatus), and I'm not sure if this line was only in the extended version that Hulu airs, but Jason's defense of the Jags with "all they need is a defense... and an offense... and some rule changes!" is still loving cracking me up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Derek is basically a rip-off of Hodor. I hope they get sued by HBO.

Hodor is basically a ripoff of Pokemon. I hope they get sued by Nintendo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FELD1 posted:

I just caught the newest episode last night (hell of a way to come back from hiatus), and I'm not sure if this line was only in the extended version that Hulu airs, but Jason's defense of the Jags with "all they need is a defense... and an offense... and some rule changes!" is still loving cracking me up.

Yea that line was in the regular episode as well and it slayed me.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
MAXIMUM DEREK

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crysis is going in a really weird direction

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Did anyone catch what was on the thumbs down seal? Its looked like latin but couldn't get a good look at it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"et in arcadio derek"

(not really)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, all four of them trying to fit in and trying to torture other people as little as possible seems like really good material to work with. I predict that they'll actually be too good at it without even trying since they all have negative or annoying traits that could really tick off certain people.

I think he's wasted if he's not on the bad place side of things, I think he could really make a meal out of being evil more than being on the good side. All the people you named are A+ imrovisers too.

Whenever he does show up I'm counting on it being just for one or two episodes, he just mentioned in the comedy bang bang best of the year wrap-up that he gets told like every time he does a guest spot that they love his character, oh they absolutely have to bring him back, and then he never hears from them again. He's also on the christmas episode of mission to zyxx, a funny improv podcast with ongoing continuity set in a sci-fi universe.

I'll take bajillion dollar properties being picked up and continuing over a PFT guest spot though. They've already got a whole season of it shot, I can't believe it's taken them this long to find a home for that at least.

This could be a good arc for the show as a whole to cover, with that being the big change that happens in the series finale. You're in a fake good place until you realize what's wrong about how you lived you life, then as you become a more moral and ethical person you earn your way into the real good place. Meanwhile all the truly awful people get the conventional physical hell tortures.

The characters of the show could become the prototype for how that works, and I'd get a kick out of a montage of Michael running a new group of 4 people over literally the entire arc and plot beats of the show as a whole to show it in action, since it's worked once and both places agree to just put them through this very similar system across the board. We'll probably get something similar to this when we see Michael setting up new "good places" and I'm looking forward to that too.

PFT appears in-character as Cake Boss attempting contact on behalf of someone in the living World, possibly Pillboi trying to send Jason news of the Jaguars.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

fruit on the bottom posted:

PFT appears in-character as Cake Boss attempting contact on behalf of someone in the living World, possibly Pillboi trying to send Jason news of the Jaguars.

I like that idea. Have the messages be "one way" though, which is why no one believes in seances, they never hear back. The heartwarming moment comes when people realize that Jason has someone that cares about him so much he keeps doing seances to his lost best friend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

swickles posted:

Did anyone catch what was on the thumbs down seal? Its looked like latin but couldn't get a good look at it.

Irrisiones Infidelium Convivia

Eius Formido

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Regy Rusty posted:

Eius Formido

I joined the Latin speakers Discord :lol: Will report back.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Eius Formido

Something like "Mockeries feasts of the unbelievers" or "Roasts of the sinners"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Something like "Mockeries feasts of the unbelievers" or "Roasts of the sinners"

The Discorders have spoken. "It's bad Latin." " Word Salad"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

Why am I unsurprised that the kind of people who would frequent a Latin Speaker's discord would be humorless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

:shrug: I'm just going by what Google says:

irrisio: derision, mockery
infidelis: unfaithful, unbelieving, infidel
convivium: banquet, feast

• Locked thread