Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

People HATED Okada to start, and not in the good way, in the Rocky Maivia way. The Rainmaker looked terrible as well.

I've only ever seen Okada's debut through like videos recapping Okada and Tana's rivalry and Jay seemed to come across a bit better than he did at least. Hopefully like Okada he'll have figured out his gimmick by the next big show and put on a better performance.

Jay's the first guy back from excursion who was a young lion when I started watching so I really want to support him because I liked him quite a bit when he was doing opening matches. But his return hasn't really been a hit yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Jay's look and gimmick is a little forced for sure. But Okada's whole schtick when he returned was a LOT forced. I'm willing to give it more time because dude is really talented and this last week I saw sparks of great promo potential. Not all there, but I think he can get there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

He should cut his hair

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Rewatching the jay white tanahashi match right now and it's really not a bad match at all. Jay just doesn't really have his character down yet.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's way to early to give up on Jay or to call for an immediate gimmick change but Tana going over was still the right call as he's just not at that level rn.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Thauros posted:

It's way to early to give up on Jay or to call for an immediate gimmick change but Tana going over was still the right call as he's just not at that level rn.

Absolutely, and even if jay had everything figured out I still don't think he should have gone over tanahashi.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Put Jay in LIJ.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Not even like to change his gimmick, it looked like his hair was getting in the way while he was wrestling

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The_Rob posted:

Yeah the early rainmaker looks like poo poo.

It was so bad lol. And now it kicks rear end

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I think White/Tana would've played a lot better if they didn't have to follow the insane juniors match. The crowd treated it like a cooldown, which didn't help him at all.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jay White’s gimmick seems too Kenny The Cleaner for me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I thought, even with how short it was, Whites match against Kitamura was great. He's got the talent, just needs to get the character right.

Kitamura is, of course, the greatest Large Adult Son.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Kawato is better. :colbert:

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Anderson posted:

Put Jay in LIJ.

Never, I really enjoy LIJ's status as the only faction that doesn't have like a dozen members, half of whom I forget about constantly

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
oh yeah I just remembered henare got something besides young lion gear

it's a really weird caveman diaper but good for him

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Jenny Angel posted:

Never, I really enjoy LIJ's status as the only faction that doesn't have like a dozen members, half of whom I forget about constantly

Counterpoint: He wouldn't be the first Jay to be in LIJ :shrug:.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's weird that LIJ doesn't really have a designated "eat the pins" geek in their faction. I guess BUSHI fills that role, but still.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Benne posted:

It's weird that LIJ doesn't really have a designated "eat the pins" geek in their faction. I guess BUSHI fills that role, but still.

I felt so bad for BUSHI not getting a spot in WK 12

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

They kicked out Naito??

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think part of it is that I don't buy that it's who Jay White is. Kenny Omega as a Destiny cosplaying, DX worshipping, Final Fantasy weeb, I buy. Cody as a cocky prick who thinks he's a bigger star than he is, I buy. Jay White as edgelord 'Switchblade', comes of as an act.

I heard Colt Cabana's interview with Jay White that was recorded after he found out about the Switchblade character, but before he made his debut. It sounds like he didn't have much input into the character. I'm hoping he either grows into it, or makes it his own(like Omega did with The Cleaner gimmick), because it's really not working for him at any level.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

People HATED Okada to start, and not in the good way, in the Rocky Maivia way. The Rainmaker looked terrible as well.

Exactly, and people didn't buy Okada beating Tanahashi for the title at all. But by the end of Okada's first reign, he was over and we're off to the races.

I said before in my incorrect predictions that White's gotten no favors so far since his return. His debut gets overshadowed by Jericho, he and Tana proceed to do nearly nothing since neither's in the Tag League, Tana's being held together with duct tape and prayers so he can't go like he's used to, if it wasn't for that last fact no one would have been calling for White to win the IC belt at all. Beating Kenny for the US belt at New Beginning is probably the best thing for White since it gives him a secondary title to run with for a bit and establish himself, plus now that Kenny did the work in establishing the US belt he can head back towards the heavy belt and if they ever pull the trigger on doing something with the Bullet Club.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

Exactly, and people didn't buy Okada beating Tanahashi for the title at all. But by the end of Okada's first reign, he was over and we're off to the races.

I said before in my incorrect predictions that White's gotten no favors so far since his return. His debut gets overshadowed by Jericho, he and Tana proceed to do nearly nothing since neither's in the Tag League, Tana's being held together with duct tape and prayers so he can't go like he's used to, if it wasn't for that last fact no one would have been calling for White to win the IC belt at all. Beating Kenny for the US belt at New Beginning is probably the best thing for White since it gives him a secondary title to run with for a bit and establish himself, plus now that Kenny did the work in establishing the US belt he can head back towards the heavy belt and if they ever pull the trigger on doing something with the Bullet Club.

This, but for more mercenary reasons; get the useless dog's rear end title off of Omega and onto useless dog's rear end Jay White so he can gently caress off to triple tags and feuds with old guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

This was my first time watching NJPW and I'm all in. An absolutely incredible show.

Better than The Ultimate Challenge? Surely you jest!

But seriously, I'd love to hear your (and any other total noobs) first impressions, who your standouts and faves ended up being, so on

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
What New Years Dash matches do people recommend catching? I'm just now sitting down to watch it

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Dangerous Person posted:

What New Years Dash matches do people recommend catching? I'm just now sitting down to watch it

Elite vs R3K/Cheeseburger has some fun comedy; would watch the end of Bullet Club v. Ibushi and Friends cuz angles; main event has some good work and an awesome angle to close the show.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dangerous Person posted:

They are mostly tags. Almost exclusively so, aside from Jay White squashing a young lion, (muscle vampire). The main is good, if you need a little catharsis for Naito, and a little surprise at the end. The Jericho attack, in case you are not wise to it yet Also the four man tag with the Bullet Club versus Ibushi and company.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Thank you wrestle friends

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Takuan posted:

I heard Colt Cabana's interview with Jay White that was recorded after he found out about the Switchblade character, but before he made his debut. It sounds like he didn't have much input into the character. I'm hoping he either grows into it, or makes it his own(like Omega did with The Cleaner gimmick), because it's really not working for him at any level.

Is assassin gimmick Gedo's "incest angle"?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
holy poo poo that pop when kenny comes out at NYD.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can't just go up against the Ace, ok? You gotta earn that shot!!
I get see impression that Tanahashi never backs down from a challenger, no matter how undeserving. See also: Gunn, Billy. :v:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The question of rear end vs Ace needed answering.:colbert:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I hope that Cody's success in the indies and Jericho getting lots of buzz, respect, and sick $$$ for his NJPW match encourages more WWE guys to head to ROH or NJPW. Let the Ryders and Zigglers of the world get a shot at being better utilized while not necessarily traveling on the crazy WWE schedule. I'd be particularly excited to see Ryder use social media, streaming and youtube vids to showcase Japanese culture, and particularly Japanese wrestling culture. I feel like that's a niche that isn't really being filled right now and it's a good way to draw attention from the international audience.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

It's because they're four insanely cool and strong men and one perfectly adequate BUSHI. They don't need any of that dead weight

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NowonSA posted:

I hope that Cody's success in the indies and Jericho getting lots of buzz, respect, and sick $$$ for his NJPW match encourages more WWE guys to head to ROH or NJPW. Let the Ryders and Zigglers of the world get a shot at being better utilized while not necessarily traveling on the crazy WWE schedule. I'd be particularly excited to see Ryder use social media, streaming and youtube vids to showcase Japanese culture, and particularly Japanese wrestling culture. I feel like that's a niche that isn't really being filled right now and it's a good way to draw attention from the international audience.

I hope Ziggler and Ryder do not wrestle for NJPW.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I hope they both wrestle for Big Japan.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Send Ziggler to AAA and give him Jarrett's tortilla throwing gimmick. Alcoholism can go either way tbh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How often does New Japan run shows? I'm interested in following them more, but I'm a dumb American so WWE already takes up too damned much of my free time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Endless Mike posted:

How often does New Japan run shows? I'm interested in following them more, but I'm a dumb American so WWE already takes up too damned much of my free time.

It probably averages out to about one big show per month, with lesser house show type events in the lead up to each show. The exceptions are tournaments which can run more days than not for a week to a month, and multiple night medium shows with big matches spread across each night like the upcoming New Beginning. The tournaments are largely skippable aside from matches you're interested in, though there can be a lot of those in the G1 Climax, the big summer heavyweight tournament which has been absolutely stacked for the past few years. You can safely skip a lot of the lower card for most shows too, unless you're really into it or have a lot of spare time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endless Mike posted:

They run 1 or 2 major shows per month, but NJPW World will have several house shows too. This month there are two semi major New Beginning shows at the end of the month but most importantly the Fantasticamania tour with CMLL is this month. You can get away with just watching one show per month if you want to be boring and let your consumption of fascism dictate your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fantasticamania is a great series of shows as it's a great mix of Lucha/New Japan and you get see Okada do Lucha which is super fun and makes me wish Okada would go do some CMLL