Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Night in the Woords:

Grapplejack posted:

Wait then what is the space cat?

Buddha/God/the Super-Ego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I do want to say (NitW spoiler again) it really is just flat out wrong to assume the elder god stuff is what make Mae mentally ill. Her symptoms are pretty common of certain disorders and you also have to remember the dreams are a new thing from when she gets back to town (I think all of her dialogue indicates she hasn't had those dreams before then) and the incident that made her run back home happened far outside the influence of the town. It is extremely unlikely they are trying to say her mental illness is caused by the elder gods under her town. However, the game is emphasizing how the town being set in an old mind set prevents her from getting the help she needs

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I felt like so much of the Persona 4 stories amount to be Be Your True Self But Coincidentally That's What Society Wanted You To Be In The First Place and i don't like it very much anymore.

Yukiko learns to like working at the inn.

Yosuke learns to like working at Junes and living in town.

Rise learns to like being an idol

it seems to say that conforming is good actually as long as you work out all your anxieties about it, none of them rebel against a single thing. At least the Night in the Woods characters recognize they're unhappy and will only be happy on their terms

Persona 4 is still a comforting game, I like it, maybe more than I should, but it's lost a lot of shine for me.

and god the killer twist is so dumb, it's a very boring antagonist imo, the lamest Foil for a character I've seen

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 6, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also I do want to say (NitW spoiler again) it really is just flat out wrong to assume the elder god stuff is what make Mae mentally ill.

today is the first i'm hearing of that theory and i'm gonna have to agree that it is a bad and wrong theory

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Wait then what is the space cat?

I always figured the Cat represented the uselessness of appealing to or relying on a higher power to extract you from your grief, because it really is all-seeing and all-knowing and thus doesn't care about you because, from its perspective, nothing matters. I thought it was really clever how it only speaks in the present-continuous tense; all of time and space is happening to it at once, and the only reason it even acknowledges Mae is because from its perspective the universe will end too quickly for it to stop giving a poo poo. Mae rejects its nihilism and the Black Goat's hunger because, from her perspective, things do matter, which is enough to get her through whatever little time she has in the world.

The Sky Cat's conversation is probably my favorite gaming moment of the year and "the hole in the center of everything" is one of my all-time favorite metaphors, it's so good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah saying that the Black Goat caused Mae's mental illness is a really lovely take on mental illness and really flies in the face of everything the game has to say about marginalized people. Mae is a broken person because life makes broken people and life is a struggle, not because you slept too close to an elder god for twenty years

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My theory is that Persona 3+4+5 were popular because they were dating sims and it turns out people like dating sims as long as you don't call them that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah saying that the Black Goat caused Mae's mental illness is a really lovely take on mental illness and really flies in the face of everything the game has to say about marginalized people. Mae is a broken person because life makes broken people and life is a struggle, not because you slept too close to an elder god for twenty years

one might even say that life is... bizarre :j:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

My theory is that Persona 3+4+5 were popular because they were dating sims and it turns out people like dating sims as long as you don't call them that.

My theory is people like the games because they're really good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

precision posted:

Life is Strange edging so close to a title drop is the funniest gag in the game imo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I like the games because they remind me of my youth as a Japanese teenager, always sacrificing myself to seal away gods of annihilation and being revived to compete in DANCE TOURNAMENTS.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think it's probably true that the "life sim" aspects of Persona 3 and 4 were what made them popular because it sure as hell wasn't the deep, rewarding combat system :j:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Not sure what the price was on the steam sale, but chrono.gg has Wuppo special edition for $4.50

I played it this year after it was revealed as the best rated unknown game or whatever, by some kind of algorithm, and it was adorable and a lot of fun! Definitely worth that price :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

the dating was easily the one of the worst parts of persona 5

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also the vast VAST majority of gamers don't give a poo poo if a games themes are problematic and in fact hate even the idea of thinking about things that way

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I must be misremembering then, I had thought during the conversation at the end the goat takes credit for it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Oxxidation posted:

the dating was easily the one of the worst parts of persona 5
this is true cause you couldn't date the best characters in the game, yusuke, goro and ryuji

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I must be misremembering then, I had thought during the conversation at the end the goat takes credit for it.

we never even find out what the goat is saying because as far as mae can tell it's just babbling gibberish, mae accuses it of inflicting her recent bad dreams and poor sleep but that only went on for, like, a week

also it turns out the dispossessed and aimless twentysomething literally cannot comprehend the temptations of the Capitalism God, get it, ya get it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

this is true cause you couldn't date the best characters in the game, yusuke, goro and ryuji

Yuuki not your type emm :v:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

the Black Goat is capitalism, and even if you don't think capitalism is actively malevolent, the game absolutely does

lol now this game's appeal makes more sense.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

glam rock hamhock posted:

Also the vast VAST majority of gamers don't give a poo poo if a games themes are problematic and in fact hate even the idea of thinking about things that way

there’s a lot of spoilers for games I intend to play flying around so idk what the hell you are talking about specifically here but this statement is accurate, at least

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's veer away from spoiler chat.

I got a metric fuckload of games during Steam/PSN sales and I'm looking at my library going 'I got nothing to play'.

Why am I like this.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I disagree with oxx's interpretation but that's mostly because I thought the game was more interesting as a character piece and the twist takes away from that imo. I still liked the game though.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Let's veer away from spoiler chat.

I got a metric fuckload of games during Steam/PSN sales and I'm looking at my library going 'I got nothing to play'.

Why am I like this.

Are you depressed? I get that sometimes. What you could try is putting a bunch of games that look interesting in a list and hit up an rng to pick one for you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Is there a General JRPG thread, or a "Tales of" series thread

It's been a long loving while since I played an JRPG, I picked Tales of Berseria just to see how it was like and I'm actually enjoying it, but a lot of the mechanics on it still confuse me and could use some help

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

frajaq posted:

Is there a General JRPG thread, or a "Tales of" series thread

It's been a long loving while since I played an JRPG, I picked Tales of Berseria just to see how it was like and I'm actually enjoying it, but a lot of the mechanics on it still confuse me and could use some help

RPG Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352

Tales of Threadia: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936349

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

FanaticalMilk posted:

Outside of Tokyo proper, but my two favorite sites were:

The Golden Pavilion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkaku-ji

The Great Buddha Hall: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C5%8Ddai-ji

Both of these were extremely impressive and the areas surrounding them are nice.

There's a place called Lion Cafe in Shibuya that has the best speaker setup I've ever seen in a cafe/restaurant:

http://wordpress.tokyotimes.org/shibuyas-old-and-unique-lion-cafe/

You may be interested in staying at a Ryokan (a japanese traditional inn and their equivalent to an American-style bed and breakfast). Otherwise, all of the hotels in Tokyo are very nice.

If you like fashion, there are a lot of nice shops and the Prada building in Aoyama is super cool, the glass is curved and makes the building look like it's made out of bubble wrap:

Also, look up some ramen places ahead of time as they are so many to choose from and it's easy to be overwhelmed with options.

I don't know what your financial situation is like but there are plenty of great restaurants in Tokyo. Of course, you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money to eat well but you can certainly have some exquisite meals if you're willing to throw down the cash.

I'd also say to remember that taxis are extremely expensive, like $150 for a 20 minute ride in some cases. However, I believe all of the trains eventually stop running at some point so you may find yourself in a position where a taxi is your only option. That being said, Tokyo is nice enough I'd feel safe sleeping on a park bench till the trains start back up (but maybe not in February).

But ultimately, just have a good time and don't be afraid to just wander around random side streets. The best part about going to Tokyo is how dense the city is, and I'm sure you'll stumble across something that's unique and will make a great story for when you come back.

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t ever really plan on staying out so late that trains wouldn’t run. My financial situation is okay but not loaded. I planned to have about 2000$ spending money with a little wiggle room.

I’ve planned on doing some more touristy things through some websites where I can purchase some tour stuff and then for the other couple days I figured I would wander around and look for some cool places to eat/look around. Was just wondering if there was some places I needed to visit. I plan on going to Shibuya as I was never there before.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thanks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

They're accessible JRPGs based on good core systems (SMTs turn system and fusion) stapled to an accessible simulation game which was itself probably novel for a lot of people.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/949440042891591680

CAPTURE HIM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the life is strange ending sucks because the moral basically just boils down to "you have to let your girlfriend die max" but chloe is like one of the three characters who are actually interesting and likable so why would i pick the town

also persona 4 is dumb because the resolution to kanji potentially being gay is everyone saying "well i guess he isn't totally gay actually, so it's fine" and then yosuke constantly screams about how gay people scare him in every scene he's in with kanji for the rest of time. i love the music and art stuff and general atmosphere for persona 4 but goddamn does the writing not hold up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if you chose the [ Life Is Strange Spoilers ] Bury Your Gays ending I don't wanna loving know you

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Grapplejack posted:

Are you depressed? I get that sometimes. What you could try is putting a bunch of games that look interesting in a list and hit up an rng to pick one for you.

Probably, but right now I'm blaming the heat (it's summer over here, which means 35C and 95% humidity) for not being able to focus on a game.

Maybe I should start another LP...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

if you chose the [ Life Is Strange Spoilers ] Bury Your Gays ending I don't wanna loving know you

stories aren't special just because they have lesbians

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been playing through dead rising since i picked it up last year on steam and i haven't done a full playthrough in uh. holy poo poo like eight years. anyway it's good

Oxxidation posted:

stories aren't special just because they have lesbians

counterpoint: having a story focus around a gay relationship that's the most interesting part of the story but going with the moral of actually you had to let go and let your girlfriend die the whole time is loving stupid

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Colonel posted:

the life is strange ending sucks because the moral basically just boils down to "you have to let your girlfriend die max" but chloe is like one of the three characters who are actually interesting and likable so why would i pick the town

also persona 4 is dumb because the resolution to kanji potentially being gay is everyone saying "well i guess he isn't totally gay actually, so it's fine" and then yosuke constantly screams about how gay people scare him in every scene he's in with kanji for the rest of time. i love the music and art stuff and general atmosphere for persona 4 but goddamn does the writing not hold up

Kanji realizes that gender roles are meaningless and it's up to him to decide what masculinity means to him, completing his arc. His entire concept of manhood is warped by TV cliches -- he adopts a biker motif because tough guys are bikers, even though he's actually fighting against the bikers. He projects his insecurities as being gay because he's a teenager and he's afraid and uncertain of his sexuality, on top of insecure about his "feminine" hobbies. That's the be-all, end-all of it. Yosuke makes some dumb gay panic jokes from time to time (because he too is an insecure teenager), but Kanji's whole "issue" has far less to do with sexuality and more to do with gender identity. He is, in fact, an inverse Naoto, and they are both grappling with the same issue from two differing perspectives.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 6, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Black Stones posted:

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t ever really plan on staying out so late that trains wouldn’t run. My financial situation is okay but not loaded. I planned to have about 2000$ spending money with a little wiggle room.

you can eat, go the places you think are cool, and buy all the stupid nerd poo poo you want on $2000 for one week. unless said "stupid nerd poo poo" includes idk ultra rare items like high-demand turbo grafx games or mint copy of a first-print okami. use tabelog to search for food; the mobile version kinda sucks though so if you have a laptop to keep at the hotel, i'd plan ahead with that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Kanji realizes that gender roles are meaningless and it's up to him to decide what masculinity means to him, completing his arc. His entire concept of manhood is warped by cliches -- he adopts a biker motif because tough guys are bikers, even though he's actually fighting against the bikers. He projects his insecurities as being gay because he's a teenager and he's afraid and uncertain of his sexuality, on top of insecure about his "feminine" hobbies. That's the be-all, end-all of it. Yosuke makes some dumb gay panic jokes from time to time, but Kanji's whole "issue" has far less to do with sexuality and more to do with gender identity. He is, in fact, an inverse Naoto, and they are both grappling with the same issue from two differing perspectives.

i don't loving care what the deep resolution to kanji's arc is when his every interaction with yosuke is still gay panic jokes and they do nothing to resolve the fact that yosuke's entire relationship with kanji is screaming about being scared of the gays. no matter what they're going for with kanji that poo poo loving cheapens it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i've been playing through dead rising since i picked it up last year on steam and i haven't done a full playthrough in uh. holy poo poo like eight years. anyway it's good

counterpoint: having a story focus around a gay relationship that's the most interesting part of the story but going with the moral of actually you had to let go and let your girlfriend die the whole time is loving stupid

the story is not remotely focused around the gay relationship, is the thing. the gay part isn't even mandatory!

life is strange kicks off with max caulfield, who is literally named after one of the most famous developmentally arrested characters in fiction, witnessing a horrible tragedy that stems in large part from her dragging her feet and refusing to reach out to someone she cared for, and the rest of the game goes on to show that one way or another, the consequences and regrets that stemmed from her mistake can never be fully undone or taken back

the fact that two girls might kiss doesn't change the calculus of this story one jot

• Locked thread