Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

Did you submit the jump list button add-on too? The temporary version doesn't want to talk to the submitted salr plug in.

Not yet; I've been more focused on getting the main extension up to snuff (last work I was doing was on the imgur uploader, which was broken/disabled in the chrome SALR for a good bit). I can give you a temporary zip for the browser action button extension with the change to make it talk to the a.m.o salr-chrome for now:

e: It looks like there are some formatting issues, so it's not quite ready for a signed release anyway. Plus it's eventually going to get merged into the main extension.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I love you Astral! You even intergrated the option I miss with Chrome SALR most: the &newpost option for the forum navigator bar jump button! 2018 starts drat amazing!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Decius posted:

I love you Astral! You even intergrated the option I miss with Chrome SALR most: the &newpost option for the forum navigator bar jump button! 2018 starts drat amazing!

Credit where credit is due, Serfer did the important step on the newpost thing; I just set it up as an option in case people wanted the mysterious chrome behavior of it for some reason. Future versions of the addon will default to settings more closely mirroring what people are used to on the Firefox side, so that option for example would be on by default.

I've been trying to set up the changes so they can be easily integrated into chrome salr, too, so chrome users will benefit as well and so there aren't two horribly diverging codebases.

e: as a progress report, imgur uploading is almost finished & I've got the smilie pane working. Live preview isn't broken for me but I am testing with Nightly so it's entirely possible something was fixed in a later Firefox version.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

astral posted:

Could you check and let me know what your third party cookie settings in Firefox are?

And if it still happens if you disable quick reply in the Control options section.

These will help debug it; thanks.

I'll have to reinstall it later this week to check again and let you know. Uninstalled for now because the forums became unusable (couldn't quote in any form, quick posting functions did nothing but give forum errors, and Boogeyman blasting at full audio every time I'd go to a thread and have to manually mute it every time.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Hm. Enabling the "single post view" button in salr redux pushes the AM/PM on the post time to the next line, which adds a blank area below every post. Maybe add an option to switch them back to plain text links without the "button" formatting?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I don't dislike the new Chrome-SALR quick reply but I think I prefer the Firefox version... but that might just be me hating change.

That said, is the emoticon-panel busted for anyone else? Or do you just have to wait for a while for it to load the current emoticon set?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tesseraction posted:

I don't dislike the new Chrome-SALR quick reply but I think I prefer the Firefox version... but that might just be me hating change.

That said, is the emoticon-panel busted for anyone else? Or do you just have to wait for a while for it to load the current emoticon set?

Known issue in already mentioned in the SALR thread.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ohhh, right. Yeah I should really have looked there first.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Tesseraction posted:

FWIW this looks like the problem I get when using Firefox over VNC with GPU acceleration enabled (although in this case just restarting Firefox within VNC solves the issue). Could have been a driver issue in your case?

Sorry for the delayed reply, I did try disabling gpu acceleration but made no difference. What seemed to of caused it was when I upgraded from windows 7 to 10, the theme i used seemed to have flagged itself as using an accessibility theme. Creating a new theme with the exact same settings and using that one completely fixed the problem.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Knormal posted:

It might be a hardware thing that only Firefox is (currently) triggering. Hardware issues can be weird like that, where Firefox is making a function call in a way that nothing else is so it's hitting a bad spot in RAM or something. If Firefox had a problem with Nvidia cards it'd be a pretty big issue and you'd probably hear about it here. Disabling hardware acceleration is more of a workaround since you shouldn't need to on a modern mainstream chipset. Also the standard question, are you on the latest Nvidia drivers?

What kind of streaming media saver? Is it trying to do live video capture?

Well 2 days in and still haven't had it reoccur. I agree that there might be something underlying here (flaky mobo?) or maybe it's just the combination.

Running an Asus Z170A and a Evga 1080ti SC Black.

I am running Videodownload helper as the plugin.

I might disable/remove it and re-enable HW acceleration and see if it makes a difference.

I actually ordered a nicer mobo that was just on sale this past week and I might install it anyhow.

e: And yes, running the latest drivers now but as part of trouble shooting I probably ran 3-4 different ones.

ee: Removed the add-on, re-activated HW acceleration and had the error again within 5 minutes. So it's probably not the add-on but 99.9% related to FF

eee: Trying Chrome w/hardware acceleration enabled to see if it happens. So far, it hasn't. :shrug:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 2, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

m2pt5 posted:

Hm. Enabling the "single post view" button in salr redux pushes the AM/PM on the post time to the next line, which adds a blank area below every post. Maybe add an option to switch them back to plain text links without the "button" formatting?

Will have to see if the chrome version touches the CSS there, and if so it just needs to be a bit wider; on Legacy SALR I had adjusted the CSS to extend the width of the left side of posts to compensate for longer post times.

A temporary workaround is you can use 24hr time on the forums.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 2, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fuzz posted:

I'll have to reinstall it later this week to check again and let you know. Uninstalled for now because the forums became unusable (couldn't quote in any form, quick posting functions did nothing but give forum errors, and Boogeyman blasting at full audio every time I'd go to a thread and have to manually mute it every time.)

I was able to reproduce this problem by disabling third-party cookies ("Never" setting). I've worked around the boogeyman-playing part as step one (the extension was doing something very naughty), but as things currently stand, with third-party cookies disabled quick reply still won't work. Shouldn't be too complicated a fix. As a workaround, you can temporarily change that setting to "From Visited", or manually add an exception to always accept cookies from the forums' domain if you want.

~95% done on the imgur upload thing, too.

e: Boogeyman update, so far I've been able to remove the boogeyman that played on every page load with third-party cookies disabled, just need to track down the last few that only seem to play once or on specific events. As I find the boogeymen, I'm also fixing them so quick reply will function even with third-party cookies disabled starting with Firefox 59.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 3, 2018

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

astral posted:

Could you check and let me know what your third party cookie settings in Firefox are?

And if it still happens if you disable quick reply in the Control options section.

These will help debug it; thanks.

Disabling quick reply fixed this problem, third party cookie settings are always accept, keep until expiry.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Is there an addon for Quantum that will add an "Open in current tab" option to the context menu for links, or at least for links with a 'target' attribute? (If not, would it be possible/practical to make one?)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

m2pt5 posted:

Is there an addon for Quantum that will add an "Open in current tab" option to the context menu for links, or at least for links with a 'target' attribute? (If not, would it be possible/practical to make one?)

I've found two addons that might work for you.

One is this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/target-_blank-toggler/

The other is a Chrome addon. I have no idea if it will work in Firefox, plus you need the "Chrome Store Foxified" addon to install it, but here it is anyway:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/death-to-blank/gneobebnilffgkejpfhlgkmpkipgbcno?hl=en

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So it seems Adguard is choosing to not block anti-adblock scripts that come with paywalls (e.g. please turn off your browser or buy a subscription), due to the fact that they're based in the EU and a German court apparently ruled that getting around a paywall is theft.

My attempt at going back to uBlock Origin lasted approximately 48 hours. Their element picker/zapper seems to have no counter to elements that include randomized strings with every refresh. Obviously a lot of people use uBO so I thought I'd ask around how you fuckers deal with this sort of thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

So it seems Adguard is choosing to not block anti-adblock scripts that come with paywalls (e.g. please turn off your browser or buy a subscription), due to the fact that they're based in the EU and a German court apparently ruled that getting around a paywall is theft.

My attempt at going back to uBlock Origin lasted approximately 48 hours. Their element picker/zapper seems to have no counter to elements that include randomized strings with every refresh. Obviously a lot of people use uBO so I thought I'd ask around how you fuckers deal with this sort of thing.

Did you try any of the annoyances lists under third-party filters in the settings? Adguard's and Fanboy's annoyances lists are there.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

For most cases an attribute selector works. Ex:

twitter.com##[id^="stream-item-who_to_follow_entry-"]
twitter.com##[id^="stream-item-recap_entry-"]

If you have a specific example I can give a more specific answer.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Generally I avoid sites that do that poo poo altogether, and thankfully it has yet to block anything I want to see or read all that badly. I sure wouldn't mind if uBO started getting better about it, but it hasn't yet annoyed me enough to look into a way around it. Kinda the same with every lovely news site having autoplaying video these days, it's irritating but hasn't affected me quite often enough for me to look into dealing with it.

I enjoyed the way it was just a few years ago, where everything was tidily blocked by hosts files and browser extensions to the point where you would go a while forgetting that websites had ads altogether.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
With some websites that annoy me enough, i look where they load the video from and block the entire domain. With uBlock I was never successful at just blocking the video player, no matter how wide the net I cast.

Samples:
code:
cnetmedia-a.akamaihd.net
vidtech.cbsinteractive.com
fastly.bloomberg.tv
cdn-mobapi.bloomberg.com/wssmobile
cnn-f.akamaihd.net
cnnios-f.akamaihd.net
Some that I collected over time. Honestly probably the entire akamai domain, subdomain and domains that contain the word akamai should be blocked, but there are some things, sometimes that one may want from them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

With some websites that annoy me enough, i look where they load the video from and block the entire domain. With uBlock I was never successful at just blocking the video player, no matter how wide the net I cast.

Samples:
code:
cnetmedia-a.akamaihd.net
vidtech.cbsinteractive.com
fastly.bloomberg.tv
cdn-mobapi.bloomberg.com/wssmobile
cnn-f.akamaihd.net
cnnios-f.akamaihd.net
Some that I collected over time. Honestly probably the entire akamai domain, subdomain and domains that contain the word akamai should be blocked, but there are some things, sometimes that one may want from them.

akamai is a huge CDN, so no don't block everything with the word akamai

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

astral posted:

akamai is a huge CDN, so no don't block everything with the word akamai

Oh, I know they're big and everyone and their mother is using them. It is simply just a debate that I'm having with myself. I should do it once and see what breaks. If after browsing for a day or two the crap that I care about seems to be mostly fine, I would just leave it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Is tab handling somehow different in 57? I keep getting double-closes like a tab is being displayed but secretly not there anymore, and center click to close one tab is refreshing the bar. Also a lot of tabs that refuse to move when I drag them left and right to sort things out.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I've updated the Something Awful Formatting Improvements extension, it has some new features:

Media options
  • Click to zoom
    Click to zoom media that is larger than the available space. Possible options: Zoom to top, Zoom to clicked position, and Off.
  • Play videos on hover
    Only play videos when the mouse is placed over them. Useful for keeping your laptop cool. Possible options: On and Off.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Read posted:

If you have a specific example I can give a more specific answer.

Inoreader has a space for an advertisement at the top of their RSS feed panel if you don't have a premium subscription. It produces a randomized ID as part of it's code. The advertisement is blocked, but the empty space for it offsetting the content is still there. It seems like I've somehow made it go away for now. If it comes back I'll be back here and whining again.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So the DownThemAll guy is still having issues getting a "Lite" version of the extension out in order to work with 57+. All I use of that extension is the ability to download a bunch of files linked from or displayed on a page. Is there any other 57+ extension that can handle that? Maybe a Chrome equivalent.

I know part of what the DTA guy is about is making sure multipart download and resume works, but since I'm not on dialup I don't particularly care about that part.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Well that's impressively stupid. It's trivial for something that wants to be a paywall to do the right thing and not serve content to people that didn't pay. Anything else is either broken or it's putting up a fake "paywall" in response to ad blocking.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fishmech posted:

So the DownThemAll guy is still having issues getting a "Lite" version of the extension out in order to work with 57+. All I use of that extension is the ability to download a bunch of files linked from or displayed on a page. Is there any other 57+ extension that can handle that? Maybe a Chrome equivalent.

I know part of what the DTA guy is about is making sure multipart download and resume works, but since I'm not on dialup I don't particularly care about that part.

I don’t do it much but I use SnapLinks for this

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's the best way to download Youtube videos from Firefox ESR 52 nowadays? I was using an ad-free addon that just added a download dropdown button but it stopped working a couple of weeks ago, and the project page and its GitHub don't exist anymore :ohdear:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dylan16807 posted:

Well that's impressively stupid. It's trivial for something that wants to be a paywall to do the right thing and not serve content to people that didn't pay. Anything else is either broken or it's putting up a fake "paywall" in response to ad blocking.

Here's their post about it. It basically comes down to not wanting to even be opened up to a lawsuit at a time when the German newspaper giant is suing browser extensions that defeat their "pay us to adblock-detecting disappear" message. Both of their lawsuits were not successful, but at the end of the day the developers of the extensions had to make a defense in court and that costs money Adguard isn't interesting in having to invest.

What they SHOULD do is allow people to manually add scripts to the browser extension, but they want that to be part of the system-wide utility they sell that funds the free extension, so oh well.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 6, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Milkman posted:

I don’t do it much but I use SnapLinks for this

SnapLinks doesn't work for this at all, it just opens tabs for me and it still is missing all the configuration options its old pre-electrolysis version had. (Snap Links is also preventing right click from working on Google Maps for me, so I'd really like a solution for that that isn't just disabling it when using Google Maps).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 6, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orcane posted:

What's the best way to download Youtube videos

use youtube-dl because browser extensions are a lousy way to download youtube videos

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nalin posted:

One is this:

The other is a Chrome addon. I have no idea if it will work in Firefox, plus you need the "Chrome Store Foxified" addon to install it, but here it is anyway:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/death-to-blank/gneobebnilffgkejpfhlgkmpkipgbcno?hl=en

I do have Chrome Store Foxified, but I've never had much luck with it.

The second one doesn't seem to work at all (it has a config that can't be auto-converted) but the first, while not ideal, should be adequate until something better comes around.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

It's currently not possible to add things to the Firefox interface, only move or hide things that are already there. They're supposed to restore the ability to add elements at some point. The "open link in" add-on is the one thing I still really miss.

Nalin posted:

One is this:
That looks good, but

Ehhhhh.....
Is that something necessary to scan the page and find the links with a target attribute with the way Firefox handles security? Because that sounds hella suspicious for what that add-on's doing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm pretty sure that's just because it's injecting content scripts into all HTTP(S) pages. I skimmed over the source and didn't see it doing anything strange.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Knormal posted:

It's currently not possible to add things to the Firefox interface, only move or hide things that are already there. They're supposed to restore the ability to add elements at some point. The "open link in" add-on is the one thing I still really miss.

That looks good, but

Ehhhhh.....
Is that something necessary to scan the page and find the links with a target attribute with the way Firefox handles security? Because that sounds hella suspicious for what that add-on's doing.

The extension scans every page to find links, therefore it is accessing the data of every website you visit.

By looking at the functions used, the permissions system can say that the extension is reading data and injecting scripts. It cannot say what it is doing with that data or what the scripts do.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Klyith posted:

use youtube-dl because browser extensions are a lousy way to download youtube videos

What is it about browser extensions that makes them lousy? Is it just a poorly supported field, or are there difficult technical limitations?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

What is it about browser extensions that makes them lousy? Is it just a poorly supported field, or are there difficult technical limitations?

They're all really bad, especially compared to ytdl.

e: and ytdl has tons of good functionality added, like ability to download entire playlists/channels, twitch streams, etc.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I just wanna let everyone know about https://github.com/Izheil/Firefox-57-full-dark-theme-with-scrollbars

It's userChrome/userContent css files that make Firefox 'darker' (like with context menu backgrounds and such) and adds rather nicely working multirow tabs if you're someone like me who's been really missing Tab Mix Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Something Awful Formatting Improvements is now available on addons.mozilla.org. Be sure to remove the old one first.

I also wrote a propper readme for it:

quote:

SAFI adds additional preferences to control how forum posts are formatted on the Something Awful forums.

Media Options
  • Replace image thumbnails
    Turn image thumbnails into regular images so you don't have to click on them to make them larger. Possible options: On and Off.
  • Limit media height
    Prevent images and videos from being taller than the height of the browser viewport. Possible options: On and Off.
  • Click to zoom
    Click to zoom media that is larger than the available space. Possible options: Zoom to top, Zoom to clicked position and Off.
  • Play videos on hover
    Only play videos when the mouse is placed over them. Useful for keeping your laptop cool. Possible options: On and Off.

Page Options
  • Limit page width
    Limit the width of the forums to a reasonable width. Possible options: 70-100 characters and Off.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 6, 2018