Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
when are they going to make a button challenge rta viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Reporting in from AGDQ setup:

What's the LCD on the left for? I can see the one on the ground showing what it looks like with all four players on stream, so why the extra hideously stretched screen?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

One more day left everyone

Am I the only one who thinks posting here is an integral part of the gdq experience? I don't know how much enjoyment I'd even get out of it by myself after so many gdqs in the bank if not for my postin pals :h:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Am I the only one who thinks posting here is an integral part of the gdq experience? I don't know how much enjoyment I'd even get out of it by myself after so many gdqs in the bank if not for my postin pals :h:

I've skipped the SGDQ chat thread for the most part this year and I certainly didn't feel the event as much as the other ones.

GET HOYIP

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

beep by grandpa posted:

It's like having people around to watch the speed show but without the pain of actual human interaction

I love being speedy

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHEWuYNjXVI&t=3322s

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh for sure. There's no way I'd catch any of the dumb twitter drama happening without this thread. It's like a GDQ drama search engine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beep by grandpa posted:

SA is absolutely an important part of the GDQ experience for me. GDQ Twitch chat is too fast to read anything except one-word messages most of the time and also is populated by weird losers who trip over themselves to make sexist jokes at every opportunity. GDQ chat threads on SA are slow enough to read individual reactions but just as good at getting across the HOYP of the moment and doesn't have that other unpleasantness to deal with.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

Pakled posted:

SA is absolutely an important part of the GDQ experience for me. GDQ Twitch chat is too fast to read anything except one-word messages most of the time and also is populated by weird losers who trip over themselves to make sexist jokes at every opportunity. GDQ chat threads on SA are slow enough to read individual reactions but just as good at getting across the HOYP of the moment and doesn't have that other unpleasantness to deal with.

Yeah that sums it up pretty well. It's a fun old time

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I used to just lurk these threads but during SGDQ last year I finally participated and it made my GDQ a lot more fun. It also really helps when I think I'm about to skip a run because I don't see the appeal and someone indicates the run is going to be awesome, sometimes gets me to watch something I didn't think would be a big deal but it is.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I, too, agree that it's nice to discuss speed runs and things without being subjected to sexism every time someone isn't male.

Also :justpost:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Is blueglass going to be featured anywhere this year

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

chiefnewo posted:

What's the LCD on the left for? I can see the one on the ground showing what it looks like with all four players on stream, so why the extra hideously stretched screen?

I believe that's one of the stage monitors for tech crew and on-stage staff to watch. We were using it for testing so it wasn't fully set up.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

SGDQ thread was firing on all cylinders during Stiv's run if you want to relieve the memories - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825429&pagenumber=152&perpage=40#post474034019

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Another fun thing about the chat thread during the DK64 run was seeing the reactions of all the people who'd never played it as it slowly dawned on them just how big of an ungodly collectathon it was

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Lobster posted:

Btw if anybody remembers me as the person who dated a deer (if you don't remember it's a long story), I have a normal boyfriend now.

hooooiiiipppp

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've been watching these events for years now and I never thought to post about them, I haven't heard of any of the drama at these things before so that should be another fun angle to enjoy it from.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Dracula Factory posted:

I've been watching these events for years now and I never thought to post about them, I haven't heard of any of the drama at these things before so that should be another fun angle to enjoy it from.

it usually comes in pastebin format

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

Last time was surprisingly drama light iirc except for the poo poo surrounding the BOTW run

Was the MAGA hat thing last time too?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Worldshatter posted:

Last time was surprisingly drama light iirc except for the poo poo surrounding the BOTW run

That was AGDQ 2017, BOTW was SDGQ 2017.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Worldshatter posted:

Nope, that was agdq 2017, not sgdq 2017.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

Everything merges together in my head

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What was the BotW drama?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What was the BotW drama?

The big BOTW runners tried to dictate that no one would submit a BOTW run to last SGDQ because the game had just come out so they wanted to have some time to develop and polish the run before it got the big stage exposure of GDQ. A lesser known runner submitted a BOTW run anyway and it got accepted and the other runners got pissy about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamesdonequick/comments/63wi8x/to_sgdq_staff_regarding_zelda_botw

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What was the BotW drama?

The community for the game decided not to submit any runs until AGDQ 2018 so they could have more time to refine it, and the runner who got in did so anyway, and the community was upset because there were other runners with better times. Some people felt that anyone has a right to submit a run if they want, other disagreed.

edit: Beaten and I removed another detail because I don't recall well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Worldshatter posted:

There was also Dark Souls drama.

There's always Dark Souls drama.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wasn't there also something about the botw run using weird poo poo like amiibos or something

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wasn't there also something about the botw run using weird poo poo like amiibos or something

I think most people have accepted the Amiibo stuff is perfectly fine for Wii U based runs since it's built into the games.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In BOTW it's consider a different category if you use amiibo vs if you don't.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

This is kinda silly, but watching runs after the marathon feels kinda meh? There is something about watching them live.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

This is kinda silly, but watching runs after the marathon feels kinda meh? There is something about watching them live.

Agreedo

I was compiling a list of the "good" speedruns recommended here to check out later and I watched a few of em and just kinda gave up cause I couldn't excitedly run back here with a beep hot take, which bummed me out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pakled posted:

The big BOTW runners tried to dictate that no one would submit a BOTW run to last SGDQ because the game had just come out so they wanted to have some time to develop and polish the run before it got the big stage exposure of GDQ. A lesser known runner submitted a BOTW run anyway and it got accepted and the other runners got pissy about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamesdonequick/comments/63wi8x/to_sgdq_staff_regarding_zelda_botw

Huh, well, that's silly. Was kinda hoping something bigger, but oh well.

Hoip for this year's runs, can't wait for the shitposting tho

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pakled posted:

Also Orcastraw is a translady, which I'm sure didn't figure at all into reddit's dislike.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

SoftNum posted:

Also Orcastraw is a translady, which I'm sure didn't figure at all into reddit's dislike.

Yeah, that thread is aggravating to read on several levels.

I'm sure we'll be Drama-free this year!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/949754663263490049

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't really watch the last SGDQ or all *that* much of AGDQ 2017. Did the rules lighten up at all or is the place still horrifically strict and forced to be straight faced.

E: I have nothing against the event to be clear, I just found that over time it became less fun to watch because rules kept getting added and it felt like every time a runner joked or had fun they'd get slapped on the wrist and told that it wasn't okay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I thought people said runs were only fun to watch live?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
They're re-playing the previous agdq right now on twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I didn't really watch the last SGDQ or all *that* much of AGDQ 2017. Did the rules lighten up at all or is the place still horrifically strict and forced to be straight faced.

E: I have nothing against the event to be clear, I just found that over time it became less fun to watch because rules kept getting added and it felt like every time a runner joked or had fun they'd get slapped on the wrist and told that it wasn't okay.
As I put it in the FAQ in the other thread:

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

There's absolutely a lot of jokes and stuff going on. Just watch anything by Brossentia for ultimate counter-proof that jokes aren't allowed. Wolfquest is a good example and a run you absolutely should watch if you didn't see it during AGDQ 2017 anyway.

Hoping Enviro-Bear will be as ridiculous. Sadly it's at a time when I will definitely be asleep, so I'll have to catch it in the VODs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SoftNum posted:

Orcastraw became the WR holder in that category a month later (she's #2 now).

• Locked thread