Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Toady posted:

man, Mann is so much more listenable than the ATP guys
I'm a fan from back in YLNT days but Siracusa is an excellent foil for him if you think he's too smarty pants on certain subjects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol my friend got his battery replacement at an authorized servicer and they hosed it up so he has to go to the fruit stand to get the unit replaced

im pretty sure it's actually impossible to fully reassemble and seal up the phones after you've opened them, there's always something they couldn't pack back into the chassis properly or they didn't glue it and the screen sticks out a bit. and of course the waterproof seals are ruined forever even if you do manage to stuff it all back in properly

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The ATP guys sound like any other nerd, so what's the big deal

Gruber sounds ok but it's hard to listen to 30 minutes of talking about carbonated water bottles

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

THC posted:

lol my friend got his battery replacement at an authorized servicer and they hosed it up so he has to go to the fruit stand to get the unit replaced

im pretty sure it's actually impossible to fully reassemble and seal up the phones after you've opened them, there's always something they couldn't pack back into the chassis properly or they didn't glue it and the screen sticks out a bit. and of course the waterproof seals are ruined forever even if you do manage to stuff it all back in properly

this uh, this strikes me as untrue

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Gruber sounds ok but it's hard to listen to 30 minutes of talking about carbonated water bottles

marco dominates the conversations and talks about his own apps or clickbait blogger opinions like "x has declined since steve jobs died" in an annoying lecturely tone. siracusa at least tries to have carefully considered positions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

siracusa and casey can't/won't talk specifics about what they do since they have real jobs which leaves marco to talk about his apps that he makes. he's also the only one that actually buys new hardware frequently, so he usually has things to talk about. from his latest tweets, it sounds like he'll be pretty positive on the next one.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this uh, this strikes me as untrue

which part

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i have to write a thing in latex because academia. is mactex still the thing to download or did something better come up in the like 10 years since i had to use it last

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if it is just the one-off just use overleaf and save yourself installing twelve billion packages (also use overleaf if it is not a one-off, but in that case probably install latex and use the git integration to escape the browser when convenient)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if it is just the one-off just use overleaf and save yourself installing twelve billion packages (also use overleaf if it is not a one-off, but in that case probably install latex and use the git integration to escape the browser when convenient)

Or sharelatex

really just don't bother installing latex

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Or sharelatex

really just don't bother installing latex

how good is it? id like to move into latex for the modern age, but im kinda anxious about sharelatex and what was the other one, oversomething? overleaf?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think they merged

it’s really good, much better than fighting all the legacy of latex

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I think they merged

it’s really good, much better than fighting all the legacy of latex

checking now and thats indeed the case. overleaf bought sharelatex, and both dev teams are now working to get a new product out on overleaf.com that will be sharelatex editor + overleaf ecosystem, whatever the hell is the latter

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i use texmaker it works good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i use texmaker it works good

i used tex studio but im curious to see how more modern tools work out, especially since i used sharelatex until they went online

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I wouldn’t go as far to call any latex solution modern

just less arcane

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I wouldn’t go as far to call any latex solution modern

just less arcane

i don't think ive ever had an "arcane" moment with latex, after i had done first couple of projects. usually just me forgetting about some things it does or does not

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
latex is kinda like apple in that it sucks until you try the competition now that i think of it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
latex documents stopped being hard to build when latexmk mostly solved the “how many times do I have to run what tools in what order” problem, and modern engines made it support unicode and opentype instead of the weird old proprietary encodings and fonts

unless you want to do anything that isn’t trivially supported by an existing package, in which case :rip: but that’s a fundamental problem that won’t be fixed by getting a web service to run latexmk for you

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Soricidus posted:

latex documents stopped being hard to build when latexmk mostly solved the “how many times do I have to run what tools in what order” problem, and modern engines made it support unicode and opentype instead of the weird old proprietary encodings and fonts

unless you want to do anything that isn’t trivially supported by an existing package, in which case :rip: but that’s a fundamental problem that won’t be fixed by getting a web service to run latexmk for you

lol i can literally do biological sequence alignment right in latex what kind of package do you lack

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

really pretty latex documents remain pretty tricky because you end up leveraging more and more complex aspects of the thing (and every latex abstraction is incredibly flawed). tikz is notably a gateway drug

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really pretty latex documents remain pretty tricky because you end up leveraging more and more complex aspects of the thing (and every latex abstraction is incredibly flawed). tikz is notably a gateway drug

yeah one day wasted on tikz was enough. now any time I want to do a complex diagram I crack open an actual drawing program and get it to spit out an image to include.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Toady posted:

man, Mann is so much more listenable than the ATP guys

i've put off listening to this because i think i'm slightly racist against anyone named 'merlin'

they're fine but occasionally listening to casey talk you get the feeling that just as much information would have been conveyed listening to dead air. idk. then again i am listening to an apple podcast hosted by the guy who makes the app i'm listening to it on so it's not as if i'm not utterly ridiculous as well

can anyone recommend some good informative pods? i've reduced my intake since i started trying to make my way through this audiobook of the power broker, which is good as hell albeit likely to take me literal months to finish. nice thing about caro's writing style tho is that you can take a nap at the beginning of a point he's making and when you wake up he'll still be explaining exactly how wide the roads on long island were going to be or someth

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 6, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

i've put off listening to this because i think i'm slightly racist against anyone named 'merlin'

they're fine but occasionally listening to casey talk you get the feeling that just as much information would have been conveyed listening to dead air. idk. then again i am listening to an apple podcast hosted by the guy who makes the app i'm listening to it on so it's not as if i'm not utterly ridiculous as well

can anyone recommend some good informative pods? i've reduced my intake since i started trying to make my way through this audiobook of the power broker, which is good as hell albeit likely to take me literal months to finish. nice thing about caro's writing style tho is that you can take a nap at the beginning of a point he's making and when you wake up he'll still be explaining exactly how wide the roads on long island were going to be or someth

informative in general or about Apple?
above Avalon is probably the most thoughtful about Apple strategy, and Max Power Users is alright

otherwise, I like Stuff you should know, freakonomics radio, dan Carlin’s history, planet money, Dana Gould’s podcast,
Joe Rogan, and the DLC podcast, and a bunch others which are even worse

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

informative in general or about Apple?
above Avalon is probably the most thoughtful about Apple strategy, and Max Power Users is alright

otherwise, I like Stuff you should know, freakonomics radio, dan Carlin’s history, planet money, Dana Gould’s podcast,
Joe Rogan, and the DLC podcast, and a bunch others which are even worse

eh both, but i feel tapped out on apple poo poo just from atp. will give those a look x

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
One of my MacBook (butterfly) keys was a little sticky, so I followed this informative and insightful guide to try to fix it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

As a result, now 10+ keys are far more stuck than the one that was sticking, including a completely unusable space bar :downs:

After reading other people’s experiences with this, anyone have any tips for how to avoid a lovely repair experience? Sounds like I’m gonna walk into the Apple Store appointment I have on Monday, have someone paw at the keys and say “yeah it’s out of warranty and needs the entire top to be replaced.” Aside from that taking it out of commission for longer than I’d like, it also apparently costs 400-700 dollars :/

I could try removing the keys on my own to clean but a) if any of them break its difficult to get replacements, b) I watched a MacBook Pro w/same keys very delicately remove a space bar with proper technique and it broke 3+ clips, cheapest replacement space bar for butterfly I’ve found is 70 bucks

This laptop was very needs suiting before it was crippled by keys not being able to be pressed :smith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mr. Onslaught posted:

One of my MacBook (butterfly) keys was a little sticky, so I followed this informative and insightful guide to try to fix it:

As a result, now 10+ keys are far more stuck than the one that was sticking, including a completely unusable space bar :downs:

After reading other people’s experiences with this, anyone have any tips for how to avoid a lovely repair experience? Sounds like I’m gonna walk into the Apple Store appointment I have on Monday, have someone paw at the keys and say “yeah it’s out of warranty and needs the entire top to be replaced.” Aside from that taking it out of commission for longer than I’d like, it also apparently costs 400-700 dollars :/

I could try removing the keys on my own to clean but a) if any of them break its difficult to get replacements, b) I watched a MacBook Pro w/same keys very delicately remove a space bar with proper technique and it broke 3+ clips, cheapest replacement space bar for butterfly I’ve found is 70 bucks

This laptop was very needs suiting before it was crippled by keys not being able to be pressed :smith:

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’m in your boat actually, it’s the only reason I got AppleCare

I’ve resigned myself to pay 700 dollars because Tim’s Apple can’t figure out loving keyboards

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Onslaught posted:

this sounds stupid but is worth a try: there is enough space between the keys to slide in a piece of scotch tape. hold one end and slide the other end around under the messed up keys and see if it can pick out the crud. i've successfully used this to clean out some dust, but my keys were fine, i was just being proactive bc the most valuable company in the world apparently can't do basic qa testing

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
this may come as a surprise but itunes is still a piece of poo poo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

cool startup feel posted:

this may come as a surprise but itunes is still a piece of poo poo

anything apple-related to do with music is complete loving garbage on any platform

which is loving haha funny considering that's what brought them back to life

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

anything apple-related to do with music is complete loving garbage

strong opinions about the beatles itt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this sounds stupid but is worth a try: there is enough space between the keys to slide in a piece of scotch tape. hold one end and slide the other end around under the messed up keys and see if it can pick out the crud. i've successfully used this to clean out some dust, but my keys were fine, i was just being proactive bc the most valuable company in the world apparently can't do basic qa testing

this sounds like a great way to gum up your keys with adhesive

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

let me rephrase then

any software apple has made that is music related is pisstrash garbage for clowns at the clown circus

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
itunes crashed on my pc so i tried to restart it and the GUI never launched but the process gobbled up about a gig of ram until i killed it

it was easier to just stream Apple Music from my Apple iPhone 8+ to my Apple AirPlay receiver

Agile Vector posted:

they had a few good albums

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

this sounds like a great way to gum up your keys with adhesive

nah, scotch tape isn't super-sticky. just don't press the key down when the tape is inside and it's fine. dunno if it can snag something wedged in tight enough to make a key stop working tho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

i have to write a thing in latex because academia. is mactex still the thing to download or did something better come up in the like 10 years since i had to use it last

install classic Mac emulator and use OzTeX and Alpha as an editor

probably consume much less space and run a lot faster too

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

just broke down and ordered canned air for my MacBook Pro with touchbar(tm), Apple’s flagship portable computer

edit: I can tell Apple doesn’t give a poo poo about the touchbar because it’s the only Apple product that doesn’t get autocorrected to the proper case

iPhone iPad iPod Mac MacBook Apple TV tvOS watchOS macOS Magic Mouse

oh fucks sake really the magic mouse is in autocorrect and the touchbar isn’t

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

anything apple-related to do with music is complete loving garbage on any platform

which is loving haha funny considering that's what brought them back to life

the modern rap scene was built on GarageBand and Logic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
"faceid" autocorrects to "face i'd"
also, until recently apple's autocorrect couldn't handle "i" so...