Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Alright so fighting Morag for the second time got three orbs on her; Earth, Wind, and Fire. Start up a chain attack hit her with light from Rex, Wind from Nia, and Earth from Tora, but I didn't get an option to continue the Earth Orb looked shattered. What did I do wrong?

It says burst on it when shattered,so you didn't shatter it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Alright so fighting Morag for the second time got three orbs on her; Earth, Wind, and Fire. Start up a chain attack hit her with light from Rex, Wind from Nia, and Earth from Tora, but I didn't get an option to continue the Earth Orb looked shattered. What did I do wrong?

You didn't actually shatter the orb. Orbs have 3 hp each. Hitting an orb deals 1 damage, and hitting an orb with an opposing element deals 2 damage. If you want to guarantee a second round in your chain attack in the early game, you'll want to do something like have two water attacks against a fire orb in round 1.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thanks and ugh I had Nia and Rex equiped with Wind Blades.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eh, it wouldn't have mattered. Wind opposes ice, and earth opposes lightning.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just completed the plot race from Chapters 6-8 and man the game really ramped up the stupidity. I have a shitload of complaints about the long series of "not even my final form" scenes and overall plot nonsense, but here's a complaint highlight reel:

why the gently caress hasn't Jin just killed the Praetor already?

You'll find out the answer to this question at least pretty soon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

U-DO Burger posted:

Eh, it wouldn't have mattered. Wind opposes ice, and earth opposes lightning.

gently caress that's probably what has been messing me up, still need to learn the elements. Used to Wind opposing Earth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gently caress that's probably what has been messing me up, still need to learn the elements. Used to Wind opposing Earth.

hell, same. Took me forever to finally get those elements down. Look closely at the orbs during a chain attack. If an orb can be hit with an opposing element, it will radiate slightly. That should help

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
naturally, the three-textbox tutorial on chain attacks mentions none of this

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Man the hand holding on the combat people gave me a few pages back really, really paid off. The battle system makes 100% sense now and finally understanding how the branching seal arts work, what the spinning white orbs represent, and basically how to build all that up to a large chain attack finally "clicked".

What the hell is up with Monolith being absolute poo poo with explaining all of this in a way that's easy to follow? I don't know if it's the needlessly convoluted way the battle system is set up or the shortage of context in the tutorials but they really need to fix this for their next game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the first step is making it so you can actually access the tutorials at any time after you've seen them once.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Whew, I had to use a healer on Rex for the first time fighting against the set of merc battles. Dude was blowing up two of my characters with Magnum Edge or whatever. That was fun. I hope there are more fights like that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I think they were talking about how the tutorial doesn't explain which elements oppose which.

Also heard the Mor Ardain Daylight Field music for the first time and it's badass.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have yet to see a single Blade of Ice or Electric element, are those less common or have I just had an unlucky run?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I have yet to see a single Blade with Ice or Electric element, are those less common or have I just had an unlucky run?

Unlucky. Unless you used like 50 rare cores, your sample size is super small.

Also you get an Electric element through story and a sidequest.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Any suggestions on who to use Vess on?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

poe meater posted:

Any suggestions on who to use Vess on?

Basically anyone but Zeke, because he already has electricity.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Xarbala posted:

I have yet to see a single Blade of Ice or Electric element, are those less common or have I just had an unlucky run?

I think going by rare blades electric is the rarest element, ignoring light of which you can only have three/five if Poppi lets you double dip elements I don’t know

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tae posted:

Unlucky. Unless you used like 50 rare cores, your sample size is super small.

Also you get an Electric element through story and a sidequest.

Welp powered through with a bunch of common cores and I finally have something approaching elemental coverage. It'll do for now, also for some of those merc missions I mean to get out of the way.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Man the hand holding on the combat people gave me a few pages back really, really paid off. The battle system makes 100% sense now and finally understanding how the branching seal arts work, what the spinning white orbs represent, and basically how to build all that up to a large chain attack finally "clicked".

What the hell is up with Monolith being absolute poo poo with explaining all of this in a way that's easy to follow? I don't know if it's the needlessly convoluted way the battle system is set up or the shortage of context in the tutorials but they really need to fix this for their next game.

Seriously, it's annoying as hell because this is their third game with Nintendo and they haven't been able to explain the battle mechanics for poo poo in any of them. Which is a real shame because once they click they get really fun to play.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

I think going by rare blades electric is the rarest element, ignoring light of which you can only have three/five if Poppi lets you double dip elements I don’t know

You can only use the light core on QTπ

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IcePhoenix posted:

You can only use the light core on QTπ

Also, alpha can’t be fire, water, or dark; QT can’t be earth or electric.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is Finch the only hammer blade with an agility mod? Pretty much the perfect fit for Four, yeah?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I'm getting my rear end kicked by Lila, any tips? Everybody's level 31 but Rex just gets immediately rocked.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is king ken postgame only? I'm running around smashing his friends into oblivion but he's nowhere to be found.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Amppelix posted:

That's the fusion combo. You'll get big fancy slowdown and announcements (and mechanical bonuses) for inflicting various parts of the driver combo during a blade combo, including smash. The announcer will shout something like "Steam Bomb Smash!" But it's still not a status as smashing is the endpoint of the driver combo and instantly ends it. This gets announced too, as "Driver combo complete!"

Important note: These fusion combos have extra effects, with the most common being the hit does more damage and extends the elemental timer. You can keep an element's timer running forever if you driver combo the target enough, which is handy when you're waiting on an AI party member to swap blades or build to level 3 for their special.

Xarbala posted:

Oh I pulled Zenobia on Nia.

Huh.

I did the same thing early in the game and it's the only overdrive I used during my play through. Haven't regretted it because Zenobia murders poo poo and Rex made heavy use of her.

I know having a non-wind axe is better eventually for orb generation/breaking but it's by no means necessary (and only matters for driver combo spam while also making orbs, which isn't a concern in 99% of fights).

IcePhoenix posted:

Is king ken postgame only? I'm running around smashing his friends into oblivion but he's nowhere to be found.

You have to have the foggy weather effect too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

You have to have the foggy weather effect too.

It's very foggy. I have lots of calamari.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

IcePhoenix posted:

It's very foggy. I have lots of calamari.

He should be chilling on the giant pedastal under the town/castle in the middle of the lower level iirc

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Louisgod posted:

I'm getting my rear end kicked by Lila, any tips? Everybody's level 31 but Rex just gets immediately rocked.

Switch out your blades as soon as they charge up. Use all three arts, switch blade, pop combo when appropriate, repeat. For me, winning her fight meant comboing nonstop.

E: oh and don't forget whatever the + button chain is called, that took her bar down at least 1/3

Stelio Kontos fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 6, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Louisgod posted:

What kind of accessories are you using? An HP accossory could help Rex survive also have Rex fall back to let Tora build up aggro. If nothing else you can change the party leader to someone who won't immediately get rocked.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Louisgod posted:

she's got one nasty spike attack that's probably doing the one-shot but it's named; you can use roc's dodge art to evade it

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IcePhoenix posted:

He is. The only superboss present before you beat the game is the one the main quest has you run right past in chapter 7.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

How does Orb Master work exactly?

It seems to add an orb of any random element, not the element of the blade the skill is attached to.

So much weird, largely undocumented stuff in this game - how the hell is there not a strategy guide?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

"Yeah, I like people. I like myself, and I'm people" is the best line I've ever heard in any jrpg

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Duckula posted:

How does Orb Master work exactly?

It seems to add an orb of any random element, not the element of the blade the skill is attached to.

So much weird, largely undocumented stuff in this game - how the hell is there not a strategy guide?

It adds an orb of any element used by the party while the blade is out. So while it's out (assuming 100 percent chance if you have it leveled) and another party member does a level 1 fire special and a level 2 water follow up then it will add a fire and water orb. This should include the element of the blade it's attached to as well (using the blade with orb master's level 1/2 special should add an orb of that blades element)

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 6, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Anyway I beat the game.

Why does the post credits scene exist, it's loving awful.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

PSA: in general, the +cancel damage% (eyepatches), +crit damage% (headbands), and weapon attachment accessories are better than the generic +damage% accessories in spite of the lower apparent numbers. Each of the former three are independent multipliers, so they multiply rather than add to things like the damage-boosting aux cores and blade battle skills.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

got lucky and pulled Ursula for Nia, holy poo poo this bear is adorable and holy gently caress that skillset is nuts

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

got lucky and pulled Ursula for Nia, holy poo poo this bear is adorable and holy gently caress that skillset is nuts

Ursula is strong. Enjoy your hellgrind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Anyone know how exactly counterattacks work? And I mean those counterattacks that are listed on some blades' affinity trees as "counter attacks with X% damage". One of Poppi's flavor texts suggests it has to do with evading attacks which would make sense as QT is all about evasion.