Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
She might not have known about its solar charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blackchamber posted:

Well after she wears the dogs battery down in metalhead... why doesn't she throw her coat over it so it cant re-charge in the sun while she makes her escape?

The dogs have an emergency 5% battery that is withheld unless the drone senses physical contact to ensure it can safely recharge in the sun

If she'd put her coat over it she would've been immediately killed

I made this up but it's also true

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Astrofig posted:

End of life care in general could be an interesting thing to explore; I read an article a few years back about these prototype Japanese healthcare robots which were designed to assist nurses with things like monitoring vitals, dispensing medication, even lifting, moving and transferring patients. What if Nursebot 3000 has a glitchy server and doesn't get a heart monitor signal for a few critical seconds? Suddenly it thinks the patient is flatlining and begins crash protocols on a comfortably-resting person. OOPS! Now they're dead, and whose fault is it?

Yeah I agree there's a lot to explore in this area. The Nursebot 3000 series (now with customizable accents and hotter bodies!) could very well make fewer mistakes than their human counterparts but as with self-driving cars any accident will raise questions.

I think physician-assisted suicide is going to become more prevalent going forward. That's another subject that seems right up Black Mirror's alley.

But let's not kid ourselves. The holy grail is the fully-functional and socially-acceptable companion robot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-1MlkxyqI

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Xealot posted:

I'm kind of surprised BM hasn't made an episode that's basically Total Recall. False memory, the life un-lived, and self-deception as therapy all feel like this show's jam. Wait, have they done this episode?

Callister and Playtest seem to be partly a comment on fantasy/escaping reallty, which relates to unlived lives and self-deception.

BSam posted:

You might enjoy the film Marjorie Prime which deals with a tech solution for dealing with dementia, it felt a lot like a Black Mirror episode when I saw it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Prime

Cool, this looks great, thanks for the heads-up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Android Blues posted:

Here's how the dog got destroyed, start to finish:

- Fell off a cliff while inside a spinning car that ricocheted off the cliff wall several times. This damages its arm and makes it unable to climb or use its gun. If it could do either, it would have killed Bella easily while she was hiding in the tree.
- Bella exhausts its battery by pestering it with sweets in what is honestly a pretty superhuman feat of endurance, patience and quick thinking. Even though she has no flechettes in her and she makes it a fair distance away, it's still able to track her when it recharges.
- Bella throws paint on it to obscure its vision. It can still track her by sound.
- Bella finds a shotgun, something that would be rare if this takes place in Britain, and manages to shoot it point blank, reload, and shoot again while it's stabbing her in the leg with a knife.

That's an astonishing amount of work, trauma, and good luck to take care of one of these things. If it wasn't for the car wreck at the start of the episode she would just have been summarily shot in the head moments after her friends or whenever the dog caught up to her later.

I'm willing to bet more than a few people would have hit a dogbot with a car, dropped poo poo on it, ambushed it, etc. Humans are alpha animals for a reason.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

No Wave posted:

Everything the dog does reads as totally automated. I would be stunned if this episode was directed with an operator in mind (writing doesn't matter).

FWIW, I was picturing the "operator" as more of a sysadmin controlling all of them. The individual dogs are self-piloting, but some guy next to a server room has some dotted map with 1000 of the fuckers. One of the dots blips out, and that's as visceral as that guy's experience is of everything that's happened.

Clearly, they didn't do that, so that reading comes from nowhere.

socketwrencher posted:

Callister and Playtest seem to be partly a comment on fantasy/escaping reallty, which relates to unlived lives and self-deception.

Sure. Complete History of You is also in that area, the character obsessing over memories instead of living his life. I thought Callister was going to be about these ideas at first...sad sack CTO lives this escapist fantasy life while his actual life unravels. But then it swerved into the actual point of the episode, which was not that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

withak posted:

Last shot of Metalhead should have been a fat nerd in a generic cubicle somewhere spilling a Big Gulp on his Xbox controller in anger as the drone dog feed on his screen goes dark.

This but there's 2 fat nerds competing to see who can get more kills, for this week's episode of Bother Guts!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Is there even anyone who liked Playtest? It's just a stack of 50 twists, each one nullifying the last and some of which repeat themselves. Instead of being a "What are the social ramifications if this tech works as intended?" story like the rest of the show, it's just about stuff going unpredictably and meaninglessly haywire.

I liked the ending part of it, once he went through the final door in the ‘game’ and started losing it at what was going on. That and the whole ‘called mom’ on the final report got to me unexpectedly.

On my first watch-through of Playtest I was pretty ‘meh’ but once his brain started shutting down or whatever, I was left feeling pretty :smith:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
heard a theory that the uss callister ending of them escaping to eve online and getting blasted by jesse pinkman is literally a universe cross of black mirror and breaking bad, and that jesse spends his post-heisenberg days blasting fools as king of space.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The showrunners have said that they will never reuse one actor for multiple roles (except the girlfriend from Playtest because Oops) so with Jesse Plemons as Robert Daly your theory is GARBAGE sir

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Fututor Magnus posted:

heard a theory that the uss callister ending of them escaping to eve online and getting blasted by jesse pinkman is literally a universe cross of black mirror and breaking bad, and that jesse spends his post-heisenberg days blasting fools as king of space.

this is canon now imo

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The showrunners have said that they will never reuse one actor for multiple roles

Umm, what about flight attendant from Nosedive aka Uhura-expy from USS Callister?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Same character, obviously.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

WampaLord posted:

Umm, what about flight attendant from Nosedive aka Uhura-expy from USS Callister?

gently caress dude, I didn't even come close to catching that one. There is only one explanation

No Wave posted:

Same character, obviously.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That pain doctor in Black Museum was also in The Entire History of You. Inconsequential part, but it's a thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

WampaLord posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn had a much better story idea of "what if drones, but too much" than Metalhead.

Because HZD at least did some loving worldbuilding to tell us why the robots were created and why they rebelled.

In the case of Metalhead, I don't think they "rebelled". I think, in keeping with Black Mirror's themes, the dog bots are working exactly as intended.

The dogs are just an absolute form of the idea that it's right to respond to theft of private property with force. You steal something, and you are 100% going to get hunted down and shot in the face. It's a "deterrent."

Revealing the initial MacGuffin to be teddy bears does a lot of work, but saliently to this reading, it makes you think "that's a really stupid thing to kill people over".

As for worldbuilding, it doesn't really matter why the world's like it is, but I like the idea that the robots didn't actually cause it. They're just incidentally dangerous because they were designed for a time when you could get things without having to break into a warehouse, which was awful but avoidable before, but because they haven't changed and the entire context around them has, they're suddenly something you'll run into as part of the process of trying to get a teddy bear.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

In the case of Metalhead, I don't think they "rebelled". I think, in keeping with Black Mirror's themes, the dog bots are working exactly as intended.

The dogs are just an absolute form of the idea that it's right to respond to theft of private property with force. You steal something, and you are 100% going to get hunted down and shot in the face. It's a "deterrent."

Revealing the initial MacGuffin to be teddy bears does a lot of work, but saliently to this reading, it makes you think "that's a really stupid thing to kill people over".

As for worldbuilding, it doesn't really matter why the world's like it is, but I like the idea that the robots didn't actually cause it. They're just incidentally dangerous because they were designed for a time when you could get things without having to break into a warehouse, which was awful but avoidable before, but because they haven't changed and the entire context around them has, they're suddenly something you'll run into as part of the process of trying to get a teddy bear.
this implies that the dogs are security bots. It doesn't really seem that way given that they seem to have broken into houses ready for them (dead dude on bed with shotgun). Seems more like some sort of calamity than, uh, excessive enforcement of property laws.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Funny, my thought was "this is a really stupid thing to die for"

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

To be fair they do say they're not solely there for the macguffin at the start, they're planning to pick up other supplies like batteries and medicine and that while they're at it iirc

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TomViolence posted:

To be fair they do say they're not solely there for the macguffin at the start, they're planning to pick up other supplies like batteries and medicine and that while they're at it iirc

Yeah but this is a short movie made for Netflix and the director chose to focus in on those bears for a reason.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Doltos posted:

Yeah but this is a short movie made for Netflix and the director chose to focus in on those bears for a reason.

I liked Metalhead a lot but the teddy bears felt like a cheap attempt at a twist ending.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
So a stool pigeon guinea pig ratted someone out, like a weasel.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Fututor Magnus posted:

Also, Black Mirror and Jurassic Park shared universe confirmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9mMeWcgoM&t=10s

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I feel like Black Mirror is set in a universe where people don't possess common sense. Gee, if there's a crash or bug while I play this game, it'll put me in a coma? Okay, let's mass market it! Put the consciousness of another person in my head? Okay, that sounds fine.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Put the consciousness of another person in my head? Okay, that sounds fine.

His wife/partner (unclear if they ever got married) had been in a coma for years, and this dude comes along and goes "she'll be able to talk to you again and feel it when you hug your son and have a brand new lease on life"

I can't think of many people who would turn that offer down.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The creep makes it clear that his partner would hear and see everything he did at all times. How is that not a turn off, even if he missed her?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

nickmeister posted:

The creep makes it clear that his partner would hear and see everything he did at all times. How is that not a turn off, even if he missed her?

I don't think he was making rational decisions at the time.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nickmeister posted:

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I don't think he was making rational decisions at the time.

Also, remember that she basically instantly agreed to it through her Coma-Box-Yes-No contraption.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Sorry, it just pulls me out of it a bit. I just feel like people in BM think on a fundamentally different wavelength than people in real life do. Who would think it's a good idea to censor their child's vision 24/7? Who would want to play a game that leaves you in a coma when you can't pick up your doo-dad that lets you pause the game? If memories can be affected by memory and emotion, why would they be used as legal evidence?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nickmeister posted:

Who would think it's a good idea to censor their child's vision 24/7?

A whole shitload of parents.

Hell, the fundie crowd would eat that poo poo up. "You mean it can block Harry Potter and other Satanic influences? Put that in my kid's head right now!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You could probably go to any mall in America and poll new moms and most of them would say they would love to block their children from seeing scary things.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was hoping Ark Angel would have gone in the direction of having the daughter go through life with censored vision for years until adulthood, turning her into some kind of lunatic.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

nickmeister posted:

If memories can be affected by memory and emotion, why would they be used as legal evidence?

Isn't this the problem with all Witness Statements? All the machine does is help them remember the event clearer, so if anything it's better than just relying on an unassisted version.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

nickmeister posted:

If memories can be affected by memory and emotion, why would they be used as legal evidence?

Well, she is an insurance auditor, so nothing is used as legal evidence.

nickmeister posted:

I was hoping Ark Angel would have gone in the direction of having the daughter go through life with censored vision for years until adulthood, turning her into some kind of lunatic.

Yeah, I half expected the mom to forget to turn off the censoring when she packed away the control tablet.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nickmeister posted:

People literally use polygraph tests as legal evidence unless I'm wildly mistaken.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

21 Muns posted:

People literally use polygraph tests as legal evidence unless I'm wildly mistaken.

You are, polygraphs are not admissible evidence in court cases.

However, they are used for security clearance interviews.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

nickmeister posted:

She did kinda end up being hosed in the head

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WampaLord posted:

You are, polygraphs are not admissible evidence in court cases.

However, they are used for security clearance interviews.

And it's loving useless. I had to redo mine because the guy said I was too good at lying and the control questions didn't register. I ended up just thinking about a bunch of random poo poo after the lie control question to cause a bunch of activity to show up.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WampaLord posted:

The second she took a perfectly cropped image of her food to share it felt perfectly real to me and it never stopped after that.

Nosedive is the only episode of this show that I've seen spark a ton of real life arguments among my friends. Hell, it literally came up again last month when we were talking about season 4 coming out soon.

I think part of the reason that it's so divisive is that it's incredibly direct in its messaging. It's good, funny, entertaining, and well written so I'm not going to call it clumsy, but it's not subtle at all (even for this show) in trying to Say Things. And given that the two most reasonable and genuinely happy people in the entire episode are the "loser" brother and the untouchable truck driver, it's not just social media that it's criticizing. You don't have to agree with the episode's message to enjoy it, but I think you have to at least be open to hearing what it's saying. Maybe it's just my particular group of friends, but the people I know who hate it all had really visceral reactions to that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

nickmeister posted:

Sorry, it just pulls me out of it a bit. I just feel like people in BM think on a fundamentally different wavelength than people in real life do. Who would think it's a good idea to censor their child's vision 24/7? Who would want to play a game that leaves you in a coma when you can't pick up your doo-dad that lets you pause the game? If memories can be affected by memory and emotion, why would they be used as legal evidence?

Yeah this always gets me with Black Mirror. You need a big suspension of disbelief to get to the point of some of these episodes. Society needs to ultra-breakdown in their mindsets about other people in order for it to be possible to not have a massive lawsuit the second Arkangel's technology hits market.

People in the BM universe just blindly accept tech that destroys their lives and other peoples lives while committing heinous existential acts on digital consciousnesses. It's like Metalhead is set at the end of the BM universe and the reason why the woman does so many dumb choices is because she's representative of society blindly accepting dumb tech advances that ultimately destroy them.