Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BUST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah sure, whatever Richard.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

BOO THAT MAN

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MLB N/V Offseason: Dick Lovelady Penetrates the Roster

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

Never seen anyone drop from an 80 to 20 that quickly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Has anyone been to an NPB game? I'm going to be in Japan during the season and will be around 4 stadiums who have home games. I definitely want to go, but curious if people would share their experience with getting tickets, etc.

The teams are the Giants, Tigers, Swallows, and Buffaloes.

Leaning towards going to a Swallows game because the stadium looks great and isn't a dome.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

gently caress Dick Lovelady Finds the Honey Hole would have been so much better

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Soria is still pitching?

Keep on chugging

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Soria is still pitching?

Keep on chugging

This season he had a 27.6 K%, an 8.6 BB%, and a hilariously minuscule 2.9 HR/FB% (that's a 0.16 HR/9 in his 56 IP) but had his second worst LOB% and ended up with a 3.70 ERA. His FIP and FIP/ERA- were decent though.

In summary: I'm suddenly intrigued to see how he does in Chicago next year.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 5, 2018

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Harlock posted:

Has anyone been to an NPB game? I'm going to be in Japan during the season and will be around 4 stadiums who have home games. I definitely want to go, but curious if people would share their experience with getting tickets, etc.

Leaning towards going to a Swallows game because the stadium looks great and isn't a dome.

I haven't but I hope you do a writeup with pics, because it's a total bucket list item.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

By posting in SAS baseball threads you are contractually obligated to attend a pro baseball game any time you are in a foreign country during their season. This goes double for Japan and Cuba.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I was already writing stories!

"The White Sox went down in order after Dick Lovelady came in the game. Dick rocked the White Sox on Wednesday, coming right at the 3-4-5 hitters with junk they hadn't seen before."

"The way he uses his hands is unbelievable." The Royals' Pitching Coach commented.

"It was something else." added Jose Abreu, who recoiled from Dicks' first offering

"You don't see balls doing that just anywhere. He knew what he had that game and was letting it all hang out."

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2018

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

bawfuls posted:

By posting in SAS baseball threads you are contractually obligated to attend a pro baseball game any time you are in a foreign country during their season. This goes double for Japan and Cuba.

I skipped a NL game with a St Louis die hard because it was pouring with rain. I'm a terrible baseball fan.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

I went in 2012 and 2013, both to see the Chunichi Dragons. I took the subway there and bought tickets at the box office. The woman who helped me didn't speak any English, and my Japanese is pretty bad. She still pointed to a map of the stadium that had various prices and i pointed and paid. I want to say i paid somewhere to the equivalent of $16 for "bleacher seats" out in the upper deck in right field (the Nagoya dome is basically two giant circles of seats in a lower and upper deck). Beer was reasonably priced, and I remember getting a burger + fries + beer for 1000 yen or so. The burger was small and didn't taste like a burger (taste wasn't bad, just... different), but I wasn't complaining.

Some things I remember:
- I went early and watched batting practice. If a ball was hit into the stands, fans threw the ball back. You aren't expected to keep it as a souvenir.
- The cheers for each player is unique, and insanely cool. You'll learn them all by the end of the game.
- Expect a lot of small ball. Fans go crazy over a well executed sacrifice bunt. Alternatively in the two games I went to I didn't see a single dinger.
- first game I went to went into extras. If there's no winner after 12, it ends in a tie.
- If you're going to game to where the Giants and Tigers are the opposing team, their fans will show up in horde like Red Sox fans.
- I saw Matt Murton.

Sadly I lost the photos in a hard drive crash otherwise I'd share some.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I haven't been to a baseball game since 2014. I bring shame upon the SAS baseball threads.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Harlock posted:

I went to a Chiba Lotte Marines game a couple of years ago. It was easy to get there via the train. There was a ticket service I found online that delivered to hotels, but as I recall, the charge seemed excessive, so I just bought tickets at the stadium. It was a little dicey getting tickets there because the guy in the booth apparently didn't speak any English. But he had a seating chart and I just pointed at where I wanted to sit. That stadium is a fair amount outside of Tokyo though and I imagine stadiums nearer Tokyo are probably more foreigner friendly.

All in all, it was one of the most entertaining baseball games I've ever been to. The crowd was really into it and they had distinct chants for each batter. There was also a good ratio of home vs away fans at the game, which kept the energy up throughout. It was also interesting to see the slightly different traditions. For example during the 7th inning stretch everyone blew up balloons and released them. Also, relievers came out of the bullpen in an actual car. I could scrounge up a few pictures if anyone actually cares.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize Soria was part of that. Man, he had a weird 2017 season but some of his peripherals make it look like he could have been a total monster.

Eh, he's 34 and they save $9M by getting rid of him. I'm more sad about losing Alexander

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WILL SOMEONE JUST PAY AN UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY TO A PITCHER ALREADY

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

bawfuls posted:

I'm going to Holland this summer and you better believe I'm going to try and catch some fuckin Honkbal

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

WILL SOMEONE JUST PAY AN UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY TO A PITCHER ALREADY

Careful of that monkey paw

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Steve112sms posted:

Also, relievers came out of the bullpen in an actual car.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Simon straight rakes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

Simon straight rakes.

he's no paste

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Today I learned about this player, and if he ever makes it to the majors, I hope it's on May 4.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Carlosologist posted:

gently caress Dick Lovelady Finds the Honey Hole would have been so much better

I agree.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Cubs offered Cobb 3/42, he rejected it. probably a smart move.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

R.D. Mangles posted:

he's no paste

Paste had no equal. I don't remember being allowed to play as his team (my brother was way older than me).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The most confusing ballot so far

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/949419896458235904

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Cubs offered Cobb 3/42, he rejected it. probably a smart move.

3/42 is such a hilarious underpay I don't get why the Cubs even bothered extending the offer. Cobb was fantastic in 2013-14 and despite being only a year off TJS he pitched 179 innings of quality baseball in 2017. Even back when the rumors were 4/60, I felt like that was the absolute floor Cobb would be willing to consider.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Sydin posted:

3/42 is such a hilarious underpay I don't get why the Cubs even bothered extending the offer. Cobb was fantastic in 2013-14 and despite being only a year off TJS he pitched 179 innings of quality baseball in 2017. Even back when the rumors were 4/60, I felt like that was the absolute floor Cobb would be willing to consider.

:agreed: I could even see him getting somewhere over $70m. Hell, Leake got what, $82-85m?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

Yeah that seems like a slap in the face.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

loving Santana is getting bounced in his first year and this makes me irrationally angry.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

loving Santana is getting bounced in his first year and this makes me irrationally angry.

nothing irrational about it imo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Im not saying Santana was Koufax.... but that's sort of how I look at Santana's career. Extremely good for several years and then broke and had to quit the game.

Koufax ages 25-30: 3 CYA, 1 CYA-3, 156 ERA+, 0.970 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 1632IP

Johan ages 24-29: 2 CYA, 2 CYA-3, 1 CYA-5, 1 CYA-7, 156 ERA+, 1.031 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, 1305 IP

Not that staying on the ballot for a dumb amount of years means hall worthy or anything, but it's kind of an interesting comparison.

And obviously, Koufax has the whole playoffs/WS thing.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 6, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

johan had a very weird career

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The thing that really seemed interesting to me was when we ran the comparison to his peak and Halladay’s peak after Halladay’s death. They were pretty similar in that they basically could both be considered the best pitcher in baseball at any given moment, but Santana’s shoulder exploded and that was it. Even after his first comeback he was Very Good until the No Hitter and he fell all the way apart.

Now he has an image of being a glass cannon at the end rather than a dominant pitcher for the better part of a decade. If he had like two more years of Very Good he’d probably be a lock. I mean, if dudes submitted full ballots.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Buried in this Jon Heyman article is the nugget that Cobb reportedly would be willing to sign a 4/70 deal.

V: Somebody loving pay the man already.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sign him and trade Bauer, Tribe!

Sydin posted:

N: Buried in this Jon Heyman article is the nugget that Cobb reportedly would be willing to sign a 4/70 deal.

V: Somebody loving pay the man already.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sign him and trade Bauer, Tribe!
Cleveland’s signature right now is having young, excellent cost-controlled starting pitching. I don’t see them spending a bunch of money to sign an older (29 vs 26) starter who is comparable to current Bauer, especially when Bauer still has potential to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Apparently the Jays have traded for Yangervis Solarte.... cool?

• Locked thread