Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Gregg and Angus were precious :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Audiences are still afraid of female characters who defy the concept of western traditional femininity, and that’s why Mae Borowski is the most important game character 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For one, she's a cat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What's a good game to play when you're ill?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Dr. Mario

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sakurazuka posted:

Trauma Center

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Pandemic

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I went to bed feeling fine last night, woke up this morning once again with a massive headache. :smith:

Someone kill me now. Please. I can't play video games like this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

RE4

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Rune Factory 4 is an excellent play-in-bed game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Taintrunner posted:

Who the gently caress is taint reaper anyways

ask not for whom the taint reaps

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's the games that made us ill......

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am pretty sure the sleep deprivation I incurred when playing XCOM2 on release contributed to my coming down with the flu that year. I could feel myself getting sicker as I played but I couldn't stop myself

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

More like XCOM... POO!!!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Taintrunner posted:

A good metaphor because just like Hotline Miami 2, John Wick 2 ends up being a colossal disappointment and you’re left wishing you could get your time back somehow

*nods and stares at you quietly while taking out a pencil*

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm still in the spooky world but I'm devastated that they put (rabbid) Yoshi as a teammate in Mario XCOM instead of Wario or Bowser

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
John Wick 2 was pretty okay but I felt like it lost sight of some of the finer points that made the original tick. The first film's got a lot going on under the hood that I didn't even realize until I saw the sequel. It's functionally more of the same, but oddly soulless.

I don't think the Hotline Miami guys ever forgot what the soul of their series was supposed to be, but I do think they misfired in trying to build off the original without just churning out the same game again. The fever dream remains, but the level design and player flexibility suffered.

So really, both sequels ended up having the opposite problem.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

You say this all the time and I honestly think you must have played a different game because the ending to Life is Strange is 100% dedicated to its main theme.
One of the game's fundamental themes for most of the game is not to be a wallflower and to be empathetic to other people. Max's whole arc is learning to care about people and to break out of her shell to help them as well to learn responsibility to deal with her problems and her powers. I can back myself up with multiple examples, one of the biggest being the whole Kate subplot, which is the best part of the game and illustrates the theme with the gameplay so well. Nathan and Victoria are also major examples, both are set up as shallow antagonists at first but are fleshed out and shown to be a lot more, Nathan for example is straight up mentally ill but can't get the help he desperately needs because his dad doesn't want to deal with possibly losing any face Max's time powers are an extension of her getting involved in the world around her and most of the game strongly hints that she was chosen for a purpose and that she needs to be responsible with the gift given to her. The whole alt-universe felt like a hard lesson in Max learning not to abuse her powers.

Ultimately the ending throws all that away and straight up states, "You were better off never getting involved and staying as a meek wallflower, caring about others only makes things worse.", which is a puerile and terrible message that comes completely out of left field. Even the ending where Chloe lives tries guilt tripping you by having everyone else die. I just picked that ending out of spite, because gently caress it Max and Chloe, as well as the game itself deserved better than the lovely ending DONTNOD wanted you to take.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I always figured Life is Strange's ending was just trying to say "magic won't fix your problems."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Really Pants posted:

I always figured Life is Strange's ending was just trying to say "magic won't fix your problems."
Thing is Max never asked for her powers, so it ends up being extremely cruel for no reason. It's not a case of "be careful what you wish for" at all.

It's obvious they changed the ending last minute though because they were a bunch of stuff in the other episodes hinting that Max was given her powers to stop the Prescott family.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GUI posted:

I can't be optimistic about that when most of them are still written by dudes (supposedly the recent LiS prequel isn't? I haven't played either of them) and it's only being done in AA/AAA games because by writing lesbians you get easy diversity brownie points and positive PR/word of mouth advertising by the usual websites. Same with leaving the female character's sexuality ambiguous since then you don't have to deal with men feeling gay because they're seeing their female character kiss a man. How convenient it is that all suddenly woke developers go for ~~hot lesbian babes~~ and don't bother with anything else because gay male protagonists would make the male audience, which is still the main target of the industry, feel icky for a variety of reasons. And that's ignoring the absolute lack of trans representation. I feel the same about the recent trend of more and more games having character creators/selection yet the box art and the majority of the promotional material still using the default (almost always) white male character. It's the same cynical tactic each time and people still rave at NuGAF, Polygon, Kotaku (Hot Anime Buttbabe Tracer likes women??? More proof that video games are art) and the like about the video game industry being progressive when it's just capitalism winning once again.

I've seen this opinion a lot and I just can't get behind it at all. Isn't representation still representation? I only ever seen objections from straight white males about it, while the LGBT community, and people of color, for example embraced and enjoyed the characters in Life is Strange, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Overwatch. Game developers can be better about hiring people with different writing backgrounds, but for now I feel like this is still a good start and we shouldn't discredit or dismiss games that make honest attempts at being inclusive.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the question is more how honest people feel those attempts are, but that also goes into the territory of assuming motivations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Accordion Man posted:

One of the game's fundamental themes for most of the game is not to be a wallflower and to be empathetic to other people. Max's whole arc is learning to care about people and to break out of her shell to help them as well to learn responsibility to deal with her problems and her powers. I can back myself up with multiple examples, one of the biggest being the whole Kate subplot, which is the best part of the game and illustrates the theme with the gameplay so well. Nathan and Victoria are also major examples, both are set up as shallow antagonists at first but are fleshed out and shown to be a lot more, Nathan for example is straight up mentally ill but can't get the help he desperately needs because his dad doesn't want to deal with possibly losing any face Max's time powers are an extension of her getting involved in the world around her and most of the game strongly hints that she was chosen for a purpose and that she needs to be responsible with the gift given to her. The whole alt-universe felt like a hard lesson in Max learning not to abuse her powers.

Ultimately the ending throws all that away and straight up states, "You were better off never getting involved and staying as a meek wallflower, caring about others only makes things worse.", which is a puerile and terrible message that comes completely out of left field. Even the ending where Chloe lives tries guilt tripping you by having everyone else die. I just picked that ending out of spite, because gently caress it Max and Chloe, as well as the game itself deserved better than the lovely ending DONTNOD wanted you to take.

Life is Strange is rich in a lot of narrative devices and empathy is a common theme, but this is not the central conflict of the game. The theme of Life is Strange is very simply, "How far would you go to save the life of someone you loved?" This is what drives the action of the story, defines Max's character arc, and is the question that gets answered at nearly every major plot point, with our journey starting at "doing nothing" and ending at "losing everything." Our inciting incident begins when Max sees her estranged best friend from childhood get shot in a bathroom and through some paranormal moment of "wish I could really take that back" is given the unexplained ability to reverse time. At the very beginning of the story, the situations where Max rescues Chloe are very low-risk to Max herself because she has godlike time powers and can instantly reverse the last dumb thing Chloe did. There are very few negative outcomes for what Max does, and it begins to feel like a superhero origin story. But from the halfway point of the series onward, the question becomes muddled with the increased burden of unforeseen consequences. Additional caveats get attached to that central theme, and Max's heroic journey becomes more like a psychological obsession. Would you save the life of someone you loved if it meant they'd become paralyzed? Would you save the life of someone you loved if they were slowly dying and begged to be euthanized? What about if you had absolutely everything you ever dreamed of, all the fame and popularity a high school teenager could want, but all they had to do was die? Would you save them then? In all these situations Max reaffirms her goal, but the weight of these decisions gradually cause her body and psyche to deteriorate. This finally culminates in the climactic scene at the lighthouse, where Max is facing down saving the life of the one person she loves the most versus the lives of an entire town. It's the ultimate test of how far Max is willing to go to fulfill her destiny, and unlike all previous plot points, this decision is placed squarely in the player's hands.

But while all this inner turmoil is going on, you also have the culmination of Chloe's own character arc as someone who transforms from a selfish and jaded punk to a protector and martyr for the sins of Arcadia Bay. By the end of the story Max and Chloe have completely flipped roles, with Max barely able to stand on her own due to the physical and psychological strain and Chloe carrying her into the fires of Mt. Doom. Chloe is so touched by all that Max has done that she offers herself as sacrifice, so that Max doesn't have to continue living in pain. So what I think the Bay vs. Bae decision really contextualizes is the highpoint of our two leads' character arcs, cast in direct opposition to each other. Max cannot save Chloe without at the same time preventing Chloe's own self-actualization, and Chloe cannot sacrifice herself without doing the same to Max. That final choice really comes down to whose story the game was to you, what character it was about, and how serious people really are when they say, "I'd do anything to bring that person back." The cruelty and unfairness of life doesn't come out of nowhere, but is well-established by the plot as the game repeatedly taunts Max with the consequences of what her powers cause.

Anyway nobody will read this but I think Life is Strange's ending is loving brilliant and YES I do want fries with that thank you.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 6, 2018

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's funny that even when games have strong female protagonists, they are unwilling to give them romantic subplots. I think as progressive as Horizon is in many ways, I think it falls in this trend of not giving it's main character any sexuality because there's this (unfortunately at least partially correct) idea that male gamers will feel really uncomfortable playing a character that has romantic feeling towards a dude, even if within the game it's a heterosexual relationship. I also feel that, as cool as it is to having Lesbian representation in game, that that's used to sort of cheat it at times. It lets you be progressive without asking the hetero male audience to play out a relationship with a guy. In Horizon it's weird because Alloy just seems really baffled with any pass made at her or any romance happening in any of the stories she stumbles across, and while part of it in the game is her just not having time for that poo poo, that excuse is pretty easy to dismiss when the developer wants to insert that stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The more you leave things open, the more the fan shipping community can get emotionally invested

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's funny that even when games have strong female protagonists, they are unwilling to give them romantic subplots. I think as progressive as Horizon is in many ways, I think it falls in this trend of not giving it's main character any sexuality because there's this (unfortunately at least partially correct) idea that male gamers will feel really uncomfortable playing a character that has romantic feeling towards a dude, even if within the game it's a heterosexual relationship. I also feel that, as cool as it is to having Lesbian representation in game, that that's used to sort of cheat it at times. It lets you be progressive without asking the hetero male audience to play out a relationship with a guy. In Horizon it's weird because Alloy just seems really baffled with any pass made at her or any romance happening in any of the stories she stumbles across, and while part of it in the game is her just not having time for that poo poo, that excuse is pretty easy to dismiss when the developer wants to insert that stuff.

I think in a past interview one of the HZD writers mentioned that they originally planned some romance paths but took them out because they didn't fit the theme and the scope of the game. I'm glad they did because it's way more entertaining for Aloy to be mostly oblivious or dismissive toward every NPC that has the hots for her.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh, speaking of romancing dudes in games reminded me of this:
https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/949193240770527233
http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Keiko_Erikawa

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

HLM is cool but it's a far far cry from the best twin stick shooter ever, it's a very different design

Nex machina

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Thing is Max never asked for her powers, so it ends up being extremely cruel for no reason.

that's magic realism for you, the supernatural happenings are capricious and based on the emotional landscape of the characters themselves

and no, she wasn't given her powers by native americans or to stop the prescotts or whatever, they were borne from her actualized desire to go back in time and undo her mistakes and do nothing but gradually make things worse because she needs to accept that what's been done can never be taken back

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sexpig by night posted:

Did Just Cause on PS4 ever fix the ungodly load times and poo poo like that, because I could use some mindless destruction but boy is that not worth the reinstall.

Jc3 wasn't fixed on any platform for anyone and never will be

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

For one, she's a cat.

Also, most female characters do not have N I G H T M A R E E Y E S

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

I said come in! posted:

I've seen this opinion a lot and I just can't get behind it at all. Isn't representation still representation? I only ever seen objections from straight white males about it, while the LGBT community, and people of color, for example embraced and enjoyed the characters in Life is Strange, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Overwatch. Game developers can be better about hiring people with different writing backgrounds, but for now I feel like this is still a good start and we shouldn't discredit or dismiss games that make honest attempts at being inclusive.

All my friends are LGBT pretty much and we talk about this all the time. There’s very much such a thing as fangless, sterile representation that’s made intentionally nonthreatening for the majority audience and while it’s still positive to have representation at all it really sucks that it’s so much less empowering than it could be.

”You did the bare minimum, now do better” isn’t an unreasonable request for developers

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Oxxidation posted:

do nothing but gradually make things worse because she needs to accept that what's been done can never be taken back
I feel like this bit here is a perfect reason to to just let the storm hit and turn the city into glass if you choose that path. You have made your awful hosed by time bed and now you will sleep in it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when will videogames represent me, a large wad of fat and hair with no arms or legs that rolls around in gutters for sustenance and posts video game opinions on the internet

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Cowcaster posted:

when will videogames represent me, a large wad of fat and hair with no arms or legs that rolls around in gutters for sustenance and posts video game opinions on the internet
That game exists and it's Inside (2016)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

INSIDE

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

And then when one of those sorts of stories isn't fluffy and void of conflict the internet also melts down, esp if it's not by a straight guy. Hellworld baby.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Locoroco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

I feel like this bit here is a perfect reason to to just let the storm hit and turn the city into glass if you choose that path. You have made your awful hosed by time bed and now you will sleep in it

pretty much, her choices have brought her to disaster either way and she either accepts the reluctance that led to chloe's death or the stubbornness that led to the town's destruction

imo the former ending is the unambiguously correct one but even dontnod said the second one was kind of undercooked in development

• Locked thread