Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A comics podcast I listen to, War Rocket Ajax, has a segment titled Every Story Ever, wherein they take submissions of stories from listeners and then place those stories on a list of every comic story ever written. I usually use their list to try and find new comics I wouldn't normally read, and it works pretty well. I then realized their list could be turned into a pretty good forum game.

What is Every Story Ever Roulette?

It's pretty simple. You enter the roulette by posting some variation of I'm in. That constitutes a :toxx: I then use random.org to pick a number between 1 and 679. Whatever that number is, it corresponds to a story on the ESE list (1 being the highest, "If This Be My Destiny!" from Amazing Spider-Man, and 679 being the lowest, DC's Identity Crisis). You read that story and post a trip report/review/whatever before 30 days have passed. Don't half-rear end the trip report/review, actually try and put some effort into it. It doesn't have to be the next great american novel or something, but try and list whether or not you liked the story, what specifically you did or didn't like, if you think the story is placed correctly, et cetera.

30 Days? That's way too short a timeframe.

It's usually not. Many of the stories listed are single issues, and most are at worst like six issues long. One of the stories is literally Garfield: Alone. Like, the storyline from the comic strip. We're talking like five minutes, charitably, to read.

However, if you get like, Pluto or Starman, since those are extremely long, the time frame will be extended out as needed or segmented so you only have to do monthly check-ins.

Do I get anything for it?

No it's just for fun.

Can I re-roll?

No. Kinda defeats the purpose of the game if you could. This is meant to expand your comics knowledge and force you to read something you otherwise wouldn't - hence the :toxx: stipulation for no actual gain. Also I'd personally like to read more comics criticism, it usually fascinates me. The only exception that allows for re-rolls is if you literally cannot find a way to read the story you're given, in which case you're allowed to request a re-roll. :siren: NOTE ADDED 1/12/2018: Because there are enough active rolls, dupe rolls - rolls of comics already on the list - are becoming more common. Therefore, specify when you request a roll if you're fine with a dupe, "dupes okay", or want to cover a unique story, "no dupes".

I don't know about this.

It's really not that pressure-inducing. As aforementioned, most of the stories on this list are 4 issues long or less. It will take you half an hour, usually, to read most of them. Also, the list is super top-heavy - out of 679 entries, the top like 550 are commonly accepted to be good stories. In other words, rolling a random die, you have a 3/4 chance of getting something good.

I want to read a really good/really bad one.

If you want to winnow it down further, post "Give me a good one." or "Give me a bad one." when you enter. If the former, I'll roll a random number from 1-550 instead. If the latter, I'll roll a random number from 600-679 instead.

Hey you should do this too.

You're right.

I got 49. Daredevil #284-290: The Man Without Mercy. That's from Ann Nocenti's run, apparently, a run I've barely heard of from a comic I don't usually read. Review soon.

Review Archive:

12. Gummy Joe: Jack Staff: Everything Used to Be Black and White
25. Lick! The! Whisk!: Daredevil: Born Again
57. Lick! The! Whisk!: Daredevil #284-290: The Man Without Mercy
59. Roth: Fantastic Four: Unthinkable
84. Inkspot: The Demon vol. 1 #1-8
114. Jerusalem: Starman (Robinson/Harris) Part One
173. Endless Mike: Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF: Part One, Dark Reign: FF Part Two, Solve Everything Part Three, Prime Elements Part Four, The Future Foundation Part Five, Three
174. enigmahfc: Superior Foes of Spider-Man
178. Otherkinsey Scale: Captain America #250, "Cap for President!"
179. Jordan7hm: The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: I Told You That Story So I Could Tell You This One/Spooky Stuff/Punch Dracula
181. Jerusalem: Flash vol. 2, #91
185. Archyduke: JLA Year One
188. Jerusalem: Superman and Batman: World's Funnest
212. CarlCX: JLA: Tower of Babel, #43-46
251. Random Stranger: Doomquest, Iron Man #149-150
279. Jordan7hm: Atomic Robo: Why Atomic Robo Hates Dr. Dinosaur
319. A Strange Aeon: Avengers: The Kang Dynasty
325. Archyduke: Superman: Secret Origin
330. Gaz-L: Fantastic Four #8
344. Senerio: We3
360. Gummy Joe: Animal Man #5: The Coyote Gospel
416. Jiru: Seaguy
419. bagrada: Batman #417-420: Ten Nights of the Beast
469. Zachack: Uncanny X-Men #101-103: Phoenix Rising/Leprechauns
482. Doctor Spaceman: Marvel Apes
499. Jiru: Garfield: Alone
524. Random Stranger: Superman’s Girlfriend, Lois Lane #106 "I am Curious (Black)!"
543. SMP: Batman/Daredevil King of New York
563. Random Stranger: Batman #598: Santa Klaus Is Coming to Town!
569. jng2058: Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #112: You'd Better Watch Out...
619. Random Stranger Punisher #52: Maternity War
623 jng2058: Justice (Alex Ross/Jim Kreuger)
641. Roth: Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Guilty Pleasures #1-12
656. CapnAndy: Spawn/WildC.A.T.S.: Devil Day Part One Part Two
661. bagrada: Green Lantern #54-55
664. Lick! The! Whisk!: Maximum Clonage
671. Cornwind Evil: Uncanny X-Men: Holy War, #423-424 Part One Part Two
673. Cornwind Evil: Kick-rear end Part One Part Two Part Three Coda

Reviews That Need To Be Done:

173. Endless Mike: Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF (in progress; issued 1/6/2018)
62. Escobarbarian: Captain America: Winter Soldier issued 1/6/2018
605. Dexie: Flash Rebirth (Geoff Johns run) issued 1/6/2018
387. Lightning Lord: Inhumans (Jenkins/Lee) issued 1/6/2018
67. Skwirl: Hawkeye #11, Pizza is My Business issued 1/6/2018
299. Sodomy Non Sapiens: Stormwatch (Warren Ellis/Tom Raney) issued 1/8/2018
648. Lightning Lord: Spider-Man: Reign issued 1/8/2018
218. hup: Alias vol. 1 issued 1/8/2018
386. Zeeman: Fear Itself issued 1/10/2018
355. Fritzler: The Mighty Thorcules (The Incredible Hercules #132-137) issued 1/10/2018
49. Jiru: Top Ten #1-12 issued 1/12/2018 (extended for a month; new end-date 3/12/2018)
27. Dias: Hitman issued 1/12/2018
82. Jordan7hm: Mister Miracle #3-4, "The Paranoid Pill" issued 1/12/2018
427. bagrada: Tales From the Bully Pulpit issued 1/13/2018
458. Conrad_Birdie: Legion of Monsters (Dennis Hopeless/Juan Doe) issued 1/14/2018
594. Little Mac: Miracleman (Gaiman/Buckingham) issued 1/14/2018
538. Lick! The! Whisk!: Spider-Man: Identity Crisis issued 1/22/2018
114. Jerusalem: Starman (Robinson/Harris) (in progress; issued 1/24/2018)
546. AllNewJonasSalk: Final Night issued 2/3/2018
191. Random Stranger: She-Hulk (Dan Slott/Juan Bobillo) issued 2/3/2018
655. Retro Futurist: Suicide Squad (New 52) issued 2/7/2018
694. Cornwind Evil: Identity Crisis issued 2/7/2018
530. Wapole Languray NYX issued 2/7/2018
252. enigmahfc: Captain Britain and MI-13: Vampire State issued 2/7/2018
328. jng2058: Iron Man: Armor Wars issued 2/7/2018
627. CarlCX: Ultimate X-Men #42 issued 2/7/2018
590. CapnAndy: OMAC vol.2 (John Byrne) issued 2/7/2018

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As a suggestion, I would also give a bit of leeway if something is difficult to find. Not everything is on Marvel Unlimited or Comixiology, for instance, and a LOT of DC's back catalog is pretty much impossible to get outside of back issues. Also you might want to wait until they release their Google Doc version since that is likely to be more consistently up to date.

Anyway, I'm in!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endless Mike posted:

As a suggestion, I would also give a bit of leeway if something is difficult to find. Not everything is on Marvel Unlimited or Comixiology, for instance, and a LOT of DC's back catalog is pretty much impossible to get outside of back issues. Also you might want to wait until they release their Google Doc version since that is likely to be more consistently up to date.

Anyway, I'm in!

Yeah I'm already finding it SUPER hard to secure this story from the Nocenti run. It's not on MU or Comixology as far as I can tell and that specific arc hasn't been collected in a trade yet.

As I mentioned before if you make a good-faith effort to find a story and you just can't, request a re-roll.

In any case...

You get 151. Hickman’s Fantastic Four/FF. Oh, my overall favorite single run of comics ever probably. You can request an extension on this; it's like 50 issues long iirc.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m in too. Agreed on the hard to find thing though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hit me!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What the hell.

I'm in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m in too. Agreed on the hard to find thing though.

I already had it in the OP but I bolded it just to be sure.

You get 235. Atomic Robo: Why Atomic Robo Hates Dr. Dinosaur, etc. Dunno what the "et cetera" is for, but as far as I can tell it's just one issue. It's also the first webcomic so far, so that's fun. A lot easier to find, too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You get 54. Captain America: Winter Soldier, one of the most influential single stories published in this century. Nice!

Dexie posted:

What the hell.

I'm in.

You get 511. Flash Rebirth. Oof, first outright bad comic given out so far. But also, in its way, as influential as Winter Soldier. Interesting two choices to be given in succession. (To be clear, this is the six issue Geoff Johns story, not the rebrand that came out last year.)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I like this idea, spin me something. I'm in.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I like this idea, spin me something. I'm in.

You get 271. Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. Never heard of it, but it's a Busiek joint so it's probably at least pretty good.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You get 271. Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. Never heard of it, but it's a Busiek joint so it's probably at least pretty good.

So is that a trade or if not collected, how do I find which issues?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A Strange Aeon posted:

So is that a trade or if not collected, how do I find which issues?

It is a trade, but it's apparently missing the first issue and annual from it. Here it is. More conveniently, apparently the entire arc is on MU so just read it there. Apparently it runs from Avengers vol.3 # 41-55 with Avengers Annual 2001 to be read after issue 43.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You get 151. Hickman’s Fantastic Four/FF. Oh, my overall favorite single run of comics ever probably. You can request an extension on this; it's like 50 issues long iirc.
I read it as it was coming out, and I loved it at the time, so I guess now is as good a time as ever to finally open those omnibu I have on my shelf! I'll let you know if I need an extension, but we'll see.

It is a trade, but it's apparently missing the first issue and annual from it. Here it is. More conveniently, apparently the entire arc is on MU so just read it there. Apparently it runs from Avengers vol.3 # 41-55 with Avengers Annual 2001 to be read after issue 43.
This is apparently out of print ($77 on Amazon), so yeah, MU is the best option here.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sure, I'm in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Slam that motherfucking button for me

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You get 395. Phoenix Rising/Leprechauns (Uncanny X-Men #101-103). This is all on MU, shouldn't be too difficult. Our first Claremont X-Men entry! Wonder if it holds up? (I'm guessing it doesn't).

Ed: I checked, and the list is specifically referencing those three issues, which basically kick off TDPS, not the storyline literally titled "Phoenix Rising".

Lightning Lord posted:

Sure, I'm in.

You get 328. Inhumans (Jenkins/Lee). All of those issues are on MU. The run that redefined Inhumans for the modern age!

Roth posted:

Slam that motherfucking button for me

Oofah doofah. You get 543. Anita Blake: Guilty Pleasures. (Just for clarification, this is the Marvel comic ANITA BLAKE, VAMPIRE HUNTER: GUILTY PLEASURES #1-12.) It's been collected in trades and you can buy both volumes used for less than five dollars total off Amazon, but if that's too rich for your blood let me know and I'll do a reroll. It really doesn't seem that hard to find for cheap, though.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 6, 2018

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm in, I'll give it a try.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What's an Anita Blake?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bagrada posted:

I'm in, I'll give it a try.

On tablet, so can't crop the image, but you got 562. Green Lantern #54 – 55

Just for reference, that's vol. 3 issues 54-55. Both issues are on comixology as far as I'm aware.

Roth posted:

What's an Anita Blake?

Apparently she's a character from a series of fiction books written by some stereotypical Vampire fantasy novelist that then got adopted into a bad licensed comic series, back when Marvel was doing that all the time in the mid-2000s (adopting fiction series into ongoing comics, I mean).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 6, 2018

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Come on, I am in too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jiru posted:

Come on, I am in too.

You got 5. Watchmen. Now, Watchmen is this really obscure limited event series in the mid eighties from some little known writer who, as far as I can tell, didn't write any other comics after this one.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I have read like 15 comics off the whole list in my life and I got a repeat :laugh:. I am a bit pressed for time (going overseas for work on the 23th) but I am not THAT bad off, so if you want, give me a reroll. If not, expect a trip report soon.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

On tablet, so can't crop the image, but you got 562. Green Lantern #54 – 55

Just for reference, that's vol. 3 issues 54-55. Both issues are on comixology as far as I'm aware.

Well that was easy to find, I just inherited a bin of comics the other day from my cousin after he moved out of state. It has 2 Green Lantern trades, one of which is Emerald Twilight/New Dawn. (48-55). Does it matter if I skip to 54 or read the whole trade before reporting? I havent read much GL, I'm pretty sure I've seen more of him in the funny panels thread than in actual comics, so I'm not sure if it would be better to have context or go in blind.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 6, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God, those two issues will be a *awful* on their own since they're culmination of the first Kyle Raynor arc. Given that the stories are ranked with whatever knowledge they have of the context, I say it's fair to read the whole trade since I'm sure they did before they read them. (I mean, no one can stop you, anyway.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This sounds like a blast, I'm in.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 6, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm in

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
gently caress it. Allons-y! (I'm in.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hoo boy I got a fun one apparently

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm in! I want to do a little more comics writing for fun this year to break up the dissertation slog.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

What's an Anita Blake?

The ongoing chronicles of a professional werewolf and vampire fucker.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm in (oh god please don't be an incredibly long or expensive run)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

You get 511. Flash Rebirth. Oof, first outright bad comic given out so far. But also, in its way, as influential as Winter Soldier. Interesting two choices to be given in succession. (To be clear, this is the six issue Geoff Johns story, not the rebrand that came out last year.)

Flash: Rebirth? Pft. Where am I ever going to find a copy of tha-...

...o-oh. :sigh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jiru posted:

I have read like 15 comics off the whole list in my life and I got a repeat :laugh:. I am a bit pressed for time (going overseas for work on the 23th) but I am not THAT bad off, so if you want, give me a reroll. If not, expect a trip report soon.

Since its literally one of the best and most famous comics ever made, that virtually everyone has read, I will grant an exception and reroll you. You have to accept this one though.

You got 352. Seaguy. A fun Vertigo title and one of the few Morrison comics I've never heard of! Fun. Its on Comixology.

Jerusalem posted:

This sounds like a blast, I'm in.

You got 157. Flash 91. I have literally no idea which volume that references and there's not an episode reference so I can't check, but I'm PRETTY sure its from volume 2, and considering that's a Waid comic it makes sense to be placed that high knowing Matt and Chris's tastes. Also,since golden age 91 is a fuckin' Hawkman comic and who wants to read a Hawkman comic? Either way its on Comixology.

You got 59. Hawkeye #11, Pizza is My Business. gently caress THATS A GOOD loving COMIC. You probably own it already but its like...everywhere if you haven't. MU, Comixology, the trades that you should own because Fraction Hawkeye is incredible, etc

Senerio posted:

gently caress it. Allons-y! (I'm in.)

You got 293. We3. Well this one's a loving bummer. Anyways, its all in Comixology.

Archyduke posted:

I'm in! I want to do a little more comics writing for fun this year to break up the dissertation slog.

You got 160. JLA Year One, which is all on Comixology.

SMP posted:

I'm in (oh god please don't be an incredibly long or expensive run)

You got 454. Batman/Daredevil King of New York. If you can't find a convenient way to obtain this, considering it's a crossover comic and therefore never reprinted ever, let me know. I'll grant a reroll, considering how much of a rights nightmare intercompany/Amalgam stuff is.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

You got 160. JLA Year One, which is all on Comixology.

Oh neat, I'm really fond of Barry Kitson, like Mark Waid more often than not, and have never heard of this. Looking forward to digging in.

SMP
May 5, 2009

You got 454. Batman/Daredevil King of New York. If you can't find a convenient way to obtain this, considering it's a crossover comic and therefore never reprinted ever, let me know. I'll grant a reroll, considering how much of a rights nightmare intercompany/Amalgam stuff is.

Hell yea these are my two favorite characters

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bagrada posted:

Well that was easy to find, I just inherited a bin of comics the other day from my cousin after he moved out of state. It has 2 Green Lantern trades, one of which is Emerald Twilight/New Dawn. (48-55). Does it matter if I skip to 54 or read the whole trade before reporting? I havent read much GL, I'm pretty sure I've seen more of him in the funny panels thread than in actual comics, so I'm not sure if it would be better to have context or go in blind.

I think you should definitely read the trade they appear in as long as you discuss the two issues specifically, especially if they end an arc. But I mean I'm not a GL guy either so I'm out of my depth on this one.

Basically I'd say to just do whatever you want as long as you read the issues you're assigned.if you decide to do a GL volume 3 read through in its entirety off the back of your assignment then well, uh, go with god I guess.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 7, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can read comics via Marvel Unlimited on a PC, right? I mean, I would assume you can, but the website just seems to reference mobile devices. I had a free trial of it years ago and didn't like how it worked, but I'm assuming they've upgraded it since then.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Desktop is an option for MU still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roth posted:

Desktop is an option for MU still

Cool--and I don't mind spending the 10 bucks for a month, but are there promo codes floating around that I'd be a fool not to try to track down?

• Locked thread