Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the toadie new york times posted:

By 2002, I was also starting to clash with the editors over our coverage of the Bush administration’s claims about pre-war intelligence on Iraq. My stories raising questions about the intelligence, particularly the administration’s claims of a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, were being cut, buried, or held out of the paper altogether.

One of the few stories I managed to get on the front page cast doubt on reports that an Iraqi intelligence officer had met with 9/11 plotter Mohamed Atta in Prague before the attacks on New York and Washington. But Doug Frantz, then the investigations editor in New York, felt that he had to sneak it onto Page 1. “Given the atmosphere among the senior editors at The Times, I was concerned that the story would not make it to page 1 on a day when everyone was convened around the table,” Frantz emailed me recently. “So I decided that it was too important to appear inside the paper and went ahead and offered it on a Sunday, a day when the senior editors weren’t often involved in the discussion.”

Then-Executive Editor Howell Raines was believed by many at the paper to prefer stories that supported the case for war. But Raines now says he was not pro-war, and that he did not object to putting my Prague story on the front page. “I never told anyone at any level on the Times that I wanted stories that supported the war,” he told me in an email.

Meanwhile, Judy Miller, an intense reporter who was based in New York but had sources at the highest levels of the Bush administration, was writing story after story that seemed to document the existence of Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction. Her stories were helping to set the political agenda in Washington.

Miller and I were friends — in fact, I was probably one of her closest friends in the Washington bureau at the time. In the year before 9/11, Miller worked on a remarkable series of stories about Al Qaeda that offered clear warnings about its new power and intent. In the months after 9/11, she and I both scrambled to document Al Qaeda’s role in the attacks and the counterterrorism response by the United States. We were both part of a team that won the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting for our coverage of terrorism and 9/11.

But in the months leading up to the March 2003 invasion of Iraq, while Miller and other Times reporters were landing a string of big stories that dazzled the editors, I was getting frustrated that so few of my sources in the intelligence community were willing to talk to me about what they thought of the Bush administration’s case for war. I kept hearing quiet complaints that the White House was pressuring CIA analysts to cook the books and deliver intelligence reports that followed the party line on Iraq. But when I pressed, few were willing to provide specifics. Intermediaries would sometimes tell me that they were receiving anguished calls from CIA analysts, but when I asked to talk to them, they refused.

After weeks of reporting in late 2002 and early 2003, I was able to get enough material to start writing stories that revealed that intelligence analysts were skeptical of the Bush administration’s evidence for going to war, particularly the administration’s assertions that there were links between Saddam’s regime and Al Qaeda.

But after I filed the first story, it sat in the Times computer system for days, then weeks, untouched by editors. I asked several editors about the story’s status, but no one knew.

Finally, the story ran, but it was badly cut and buried deep inside the paper. I wrote another one, and the same thing happened. I tried to write more, but I started to get the message. It seemed to me that the Times didn’t want these stories.

What angered me most was that while they were burying my skeptical stories, the editors were not only giving banner headlines to stories asserting that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, they were also demanding that I help match stories from other publications about Iraq’s purported WMD programs. I grew so sick of this that when the Washington Post reported that Iraq had turned over nerve gas to terrorists, I refused to try to match the story. One mid-level editor in the Washington bureau yelled at me for my refusal. He came to my desk carrying a golf club while berating me after I told him that the story was bullshit and I wasn’t going to make any calls on it.

As a small protest, I put a sign on my desk that said, “You furnish the pictures, I’ll furnish the war.” It was New York Journal publisher William Randolph Hearst’s supposed line to artist Frederic Remington, whom he had sent to Cuba to illustrate the “crisis” there before the Spanish-American War. I don’t think my editors even noticed the sign.

what even is the point of this newspaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
another article about the nytimes in the intercept today, about how their new publisher (sixth in his line of nytimes publishers), and how scott walker loves him for his bad reporting.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/29/new-ny-times-publisher-a-g-sulzberger-has-an-unusual-admirer-wisconsins-far-right-governor-scott-walker/

quote:

The Times article [written by the new publisher] portrays a conflict between the intellectual elites in Madison who “predictably oppose” Walker’s plans and the real Wisconsinites “away from Madison” who believe that “public workers needed to share in the sacrifice that their own families have been forced to make.” It quotes six people who worked in the private sector who supported Walker’s crackdown on public sector unions, and only two who didn’t like it.

...A poll at the time found that 57 percent of Wisconsinites overall supported the right of public unions to collectively bargain, while just 37 percent opposed it...

The piece originally described Hahn as “a union man from a union town” who nevertheless believed “something needs to be done … and quickly” about greedy public unions. However, after the UAW found no record of Hahn as a member, the Times ran a correction reading that while Hahn “described himself to a reporter as a ‘union guy,’ he now says that he has worked at unionized factories, but was not himself a union member.”

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
NYTimes could be the New Alderaan Times, saying we should support the empire's new weapon project because we need to keep an eye on those shifty people on Tattooine

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The succeeding New York Times: The Case for the Subway

quote:

The questions we are facing today are not so different from the ones our predecessors faced 100 years ago. Can the gap between rich and poor be closed, or is it destined to continue to widen? Can we put the future needs of a city and a nation above the narrow, present-day interests of a few? Can we use a portion of the monumental sums of wealth that we are generating to invest in an inclusive and competitive future? The answer to all of these questions is still rumbling beneath New York City.

GalacticAcid has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Jan 3, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

got any sevens posted:

are 100% of opeds garbage or just 99%?

I think 99% are bad but very occasionally you find one that good one

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

got any sevens posted:

NYTimes could be the New Alderaan Times, saying we should support the empire's new weapon project because we need to keep an eye on those shifty people on Tattooine

I think you just created a comedy thread, friend

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
here's a good nytimes op-ed.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol i forgot the nyt sat on the nsa wiretapping story for years and got bush re-elected

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Jan 3, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what even is the point of this newspaper
manufacturing consent

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

comedyblissoption posted:

manufacturing consent

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

manufacturing consent

that and hasbara

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

manufacturing consent

I've been slowly watching that through youtube, and I finally got the context of why Chomsky was misleadingly called a genocide denialist with regards Cambodia.

I also had no idea of the history of the East Timor thing, that was a little shocking with how bad it was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been slowly watching that through youtube, and I finally got the context of why Chomsky was misleadingly called a genocide denialist with regards Cambodia.

I also had no idea of the history of the East Timor thing, that was a little shocking with how bad it was.

just assume everything is as awful as possible and you'll be surprised a lot less often

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

got any sevens posted:

leftists think everything is a star war WATCH ANOTHER MOVIE COMMIES!!!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fallen Hamprince posted:

nytimes is head of the guards in princess bride

nytimes is deputy chief dwayne in die hard

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

New York Times is the Federal Network

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The New York Times is good news........

for Jeb!!!!!!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

for Jeb!!!!!!

i would like to know more

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got any sevens posted:

i would like to know more

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/616303020574441472?s=17

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

if you can think of all the prized, complete works of literature held within the Library of Babel, you'd get an idea of the kinds of stories that the New York Times likes to shelve

with that said, here's BLLjlljlflflllflfl Millenials, an op-ed by Davdord Mrookz

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
nytimes is Boris Grishnak in Goldeneye

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the worst take in a thread full of them

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shear Modulus posted:

for Jeb!!!!!!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/opinion/mitt-romney.html

i went to private mode before looking for this

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

pea pea poo poo ny times is a bad newspaper

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

this is bad news...

... for JEB!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/plante/status/949319656229220354

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Peas clap...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/dcwoodruff/stat...r%3D239%23pti19

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

that was a good game

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

He definitely seems to be the model for Republicans picking battles with the president though, in that he picks no battles with the president.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fallen Hamprince posted:

He definitely seems to be the model for Republicans picking battles with the president though, in that he picks no battles with the president.

And incidentally for Democrats as well.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i think for most aggressive whiner at the NYT, nothing can ever top jonathan weisman after people started unsubbing over bret stephens' first garbo climate change denial column therein

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/858427028797886466

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/858443088536252416

https://twitter.com/augustjpollak/status/858527828089950208

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The highly successful Washington Post:

Everybody should obviously move to where the jobs are, but these goddamn rural atoms are not moving because of "uncertainty." WTF?!? Maybe if we get rid of whatever remedial services they have in their tired, failing rural areas we can make them BEHAVE AS THEY SHOULD

e: and they are dying from opiate ODs by the shitload, meh, the President once said "maybe we should have an ad campaign" I'm sure we'll think of something

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Jan 6, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
there arent enough cheap apartments in the cities already to live off the lovely wages, and they want even more people moving to cities?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i think for most aggressive whiner at the NYT, nothing can ever top jonathan weisman after people started unsubbing over bret stephens' first garbo climate change denial column therein

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/858427028797886466

What a dumb poo poo this guy is. "It's all an opinion, maaaaaaan." gently caress off.