Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Got matched into a Ranked game where the enemy team had 3 players.

In Overwatch that match would be cancelled. In Siege they had to play it until they surrendered and probably dropped an entire rank because lol it's in beta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Got matched into a Ranked game where the enemy team had 3 players.

In Overwatch that match would be cancelled. In Siege they had to play it until they surrendered and probably dropped an entire rank because lol it's in beta

I had that happen to me two days ago in a placement. Except I was on the team of 3. And we took it the full 9 rounds to only barely lose. It was both a huge ego boost and mega loving annoying

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CaptCommy posted:

I had that happen to me two days ago in a placement. Except I was on the team of 3. And we took it the full 9 rounds to only barely lose. It was both a huge ego boost and mega loving annoying

If you'd already been placed that loss would have dropped you an entire rank, because obviously you didn't belong in the one you were in after THAT embarrassing display.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Well, he would have been 33% of the reason the team lost instead of 20%. Seems fair to me. Numbers don't lie.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Donnerberg posted:

Well, he would have been 33% of the reason the team lost instead of 20%. Seems fair to me. Numbers don't lie.

So why do you drop a full rank instead of 20% of one?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

It's obviously because

Hey look over there! New hats!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I do like that piggum

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers
i wanted to say since there was a big discussion about all of the different editions and the cost of operators etc, i think that if you feel like you're going to be putting some serious time into the game already and have the disposable funds, this is definitely a game worth spending the money on the year 1,2,3 etc passes for. i've bought all 3 years so far, but only the year 3 one preemptively which i did because year 1 and 2 were legitimately some of the best post-launch support i've seen from a multiplayer game in a very long time. all of the operators are fun as gently caress!

like, they all add a lot to the game i feel with even some of the more "simple" operators such as Zofia (whom gets a grenade launcher a la Ash but gets impact/concussion grenades instead of breaching rounds) are some of the most fun i've had with the game. plus, some of the dlc ops are really, really good for people who are new to the game i feel such as Zofia or Buck (for attackers) and Frost (for defense) since they're easy to understand. Frost was the very first character i picked up and practiced with and it felt like learning how to properly position traps is a breeze when you learn with her, plus she's got decent guns among other things. i would not shy away from the yearly passes as long as you feel you have the money for them.

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Donnerberg posted:

It's obviously because

Hey look over there! New hats!

im such a sucker because both of these cosmetic sets are for mains of mine so i ended up buying IQ's immediately (using up all of my year 3 r6 bonus too) and it was a really loving hard choice considering i'm also playing valkyrie drat near at least once a match.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Blitz makes for a good foundation for a good scoreboard. By that I mean he's at the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvE0vwxukdc

Wooper fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2018

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
After getting stomped on for a bit I had a really good game

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wooper posted:

Blitz makes for a good foundation for a good scoreboard. By that I mean he's at the bottom.

take it back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TdmRq4EkgM

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm sorry but I have to talk about this post in the last thread:

keyframe posted:

Thank you!

gently caress rook. The armor does no loving difference whatsoever in firefights and I would much rather have someone playing bandit/mute/jaeger/doc over lovely rook but every newbie player just slam picks him and drops armor and is useless the rest of the round.

Say no to rook.

This is the dumbest and most wrong post in a thread full of wrong posts.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Every time I try to like this game it throws out some other poo poo at me. So I learn suppressors are bad. Great, I'm winning duels now. Except here comes a team of pubbies pushing outside and actually killing us in spawn. It's beyond frustrating trying to get a grasp of this game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like a really, really large part of this game is just knowing the exact map layouts so that you know why you'd want to blow up certain parts of it or barricade parts.

Also feels a bit lame learning that the camera spawns are always the same, if you run the map enough you know where to look each time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Protip: stop playing Casual.
The way people play in Casual and the way people play in Ranked is wildly different.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

The way people play in Casual and the way people play in Ranked is wildly different.

Is this like CS:GO where playing ranked is the only real way to play?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jack Trades posted:

Protip: Nah. Ranked is just as dumb and twice as try-hardy.

Casual is comedy Chanka fun times.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ranked people are sweatier and try harder but the really dumb/risky runout to spawn stuff I almost never see in ranked. Otoh you get a lot more people breaking poo poo all around you and explosions and bullshit peek angles and murderholes lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Casual is good for funtimes but also nobody plays the game seriously in Casual so you're not going to learn anything.
Other than getting the answer to the question "how quickly can a roaming defender die?"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Agoat posted:

Is this like CS:GO where playing ranked is the only real way to play?

Nah CS:GO has player count differences that make the modes play very different. Ranked and casual in R6 only have time differences. I've got something like a hundred hours into this game and I've only played a couple ranked matches, I feel they just go on to long.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Turn off secure area game modes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah CS:GO has player count differences that make the modes play very different. Ranked and casual in R6 only have time differences. I've got something like a hundred hours into this game and I've only played a couple ranked matches, I feel they just go on to long.

On the other hand, I actually find myself enjoying the shorter round timers. It means that the attackers actually do need to have a go at the objective at a relatively brisk pace and can't just keep playing peeking games forever. Delaying tactics with operators like Smoke or Echo also become quite a bit more viable. The rounds tend feel more focused with more of a proper escalation to them. But yeah, having to play one match point after another because the teams just keep evening the score can get kind of exhausting.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I love and hate this game. It's a really interesting shooter, the guns all feel pretty good, blowing up walls is fun.

But God drat I die a lot. The only time I get kills is when someone is completely not paying attention or I get extremely lucky and a stray bullet hits them in the head.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Jesus, do not pub this game. This might be the worst community I've ever seen for a game. Every solo queue ends up with either teamkilling, someone screaming at me for reinforcing a wall they may eventually plan to put a hole in for peeking then teamkilling me, hacking/glitching, or the other team teamkilling each other. No joke this is 100% of my solo queue results.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Jesus, do not pub this game. This might be the worst community I've ever seen for a game. Every solo queue ends up with either teamkilling, someone screaming at me for reinforcing a wall they may eventually plan to put a hole in for peeking then teamkilling me, hacking/glitching, or the other team teamkilling each other. No joke this is 100% of my solo queue results.

What platform and region?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Been playing solo since release and this happens very rarely. You’re exaggerating a bit no? People are the same in every game, there’s no one community that only attracts saints and nice people.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find ranked a bit better than casual as far as player behaviour is concerned. Still have the occasional 12 year old racist retard but far less than I was used to on casual

edit: I play solo exclusively.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

From my personal experience I feel like I'm being yelled at way WAY less in Siege than in Overwatch.
In fact one of the reason why I stopped playing Overwatch was because people were constantly unhappy about what character I was playing, which doesn't seem to happen much even in Ranked Siege.
At least not at the High Silver/Low Gold ranks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

From my personal experience I feel like I'm being yelled at way WAY less in Siege than in Overwatch.
In fact one of the reason why I stopped playing Overwatch was because people were constantly unhappy about what character I was playing, which doesn't seem to happen much even in Ranked Siege.

Yeah, the nice thing is that basically every operator is always useful above and beyond their gadgets just by their ability to shoot dudes dead. In Overwatch it's quite possible that you end up in a position where you can't do a drat thing just by virtue of your character (e.g. a Reaper jumps in your face while you're Ana or something). But in R6, you can always meaningfully contribute even if you're technically being countered. If you're Mute and get all your jammers toasted by Thatcher, you can still just shoot the fucker in the face no problem. A Mira who had her windows opened up by Twitch can still shoot about a billion bullets per second through the now-open murderhole. You're pretty much always a shootman first, and even a single kill brings your team 1/5th closer to victory.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Unless you play Tachanka people aren't going to give that much of a poo poo about your OP.

If you take Tachanka more than once people are going to start blocking you by selecting him and then switching to what they want at the last possible second.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Plane Jones posted:

Unless you play Tachanka people aren't going to give that much of a poo poo about your OP.

If you take Tachanka more than once people are going to start blocking you by selecting him and then switching to what they want at the last possible second.

So you take Castle :smug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo, Caveira is so fun. I was a bit wary about getting her because I'm a fairly mediocre roamer and she seems easy to overextend with, but so far I'm having a blast. The Luison is even better than I thought, you're super sneaky and fast at the same time, and the USAS probably has the best sound of any gun in the game and is legitimately pretty good on top of that.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Jack Trades posted:

Yea I picked this up last week and I was expecting to find the community worse than overwatch but it’s been far more chill. I have had a couple matches with team killers but overall my experience has been positive. I’ve been playing solo casual.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Out of any video game with Ranked Matchmaking, I'm confident in saying that Siege has the worst "elo hell".

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

my kinda ape posted:

I'm sorry but I have to talk about this post in the last thread:

This is the dumbest and most wrong post in a thread full of wrong posts.

That's a solid counterpoint you got there.

afkmacro posted:

Been playing solo since release and this happens very rarely. You’re exaggerating a bit no? People are the same in every game, there’s no one community that only attracts saints and nice people.

Yea I solo ranked all the time and don't remember being yelled at or tk'd in the last year. Usually playing with chill dudes who communicates. You can always hop on discord/mumble if you don't wanna solo queue.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 6, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

keyframe posted:

they're mad you said the armor is useless when every single operator you mentioned is absolutely more fun and engaging than rook.

hell even jager is less fire and forget of an ability. you can't even move the armor bag after deploying it lmao

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Sprechensiesexy posted:

So you take Castle :smug:

So, my friend likes Castle, and we were playing together last night. He picks Castle and we start playing and someone on our team says "gosh, I really hate to teamkill, but I just have to. I hate niggers" and TKs my friend. Ok that's neat, we play the match out, get to defend again, and my friend picks Castle again. Dude says "THAT'S A BAD IDEA" while giving no inkling as to WHY and then says "I can't TK again so I will just kill myself" and C4s himself.

Oh no we might have a minor tactical disadvantage because someone isn't playing the meta, better throw the match! Why are people like this?

EDIT: We won btw

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
toxic racist TKers are the exception from my experiences. i most certainly have experienced stints of terrible players in every gamemode from thunt to casual to solo ranked. but overall, if i hade to give a rough estimate after literal hundreds of hours playing this silly game, i would say that over 95% of my games have been filled with people either having fun picking wtfever ops or trying their best

and easily the majority of teams ive been on are willing to try and work as a team so long as one person isn't sperging on loadouts or strats to the point where it stops being experimental fun and you get the feeling this nerd is just trying to boost their stats that nobody cares about

fwiw castle and tachanka are in my top 5 most played defenders. more often than not people enjoy it when i pick them and i haven't been TK'd by random players for months.

maybe it has to do with being at a higher level putting you in games with other people that actually play regularly and aren't on a smurf/grief TK account idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

keyframe posted:

Yea I solo ranked all the time and don't remember being yelled at or tk'd in the last year. Usually playing with chill dudes who communicates. You can always hop on discord/mumble if you don't wanna solo queue.

There were constant TKs and anger tantrums when I started a few weeks ago.

Casual became more chill later, so I'm guessing it's a matchmaking thing, and the entry tier is where all the idiots live.

Every now and then I see some dumb dumb shoot teammates and the hostage only to get autokicked by battleye, but it's nothing like the free for all when I first got the game.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 6, 2018