Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't played it, is that the twist at the end people talk about

Yup, and it's one of the funniest things i've ever witnessed in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nina posted:

It really comes down to just having decent writers who are capable of writing multidimensional characters to begin with

They should go all the way to hyperdimensional characters.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's already plenty of Nep games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Colonel posted:

man i've really dug some people's interpretations of arcade ganon by being bad at reading characters in fallout: new vegas when i was 16

Anyone else remember the "Confirmed Bachelor" discussion on these forums

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry if that's :thejoke:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

corn in the bible posted:

Jc3 wasn't fixed on any platform for anyone and never will be

God I try not to get overly bent out of shape about video games but man, Just Cause 3 gets my blood boiling a little.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anyone else remember the "Confirmed Bachelor" discussion on these forums

I remember people picking it without knowing what it meant and then getting mad

And lolling

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway it's funny to me that pokemon has now historically handled having a trans character better than mass effect andromeda if only because despite them being a really minor trainer in xy, they get more personality in their two lines of dialog than the character in andromeda gets in their entire spontaneous infodump

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

The Colonel posted:

anyway it's funny to me that pokemon has now historically handled having a trans character better than mass effect andromeda if only because despite them being a really minor trainer in xy, they get more personality in their two lines of dialog than the character in andromeda gets in their entire spontaneous infodump

At the same time though, DA: Inquisition has pretty much the only bit of tasteful trans representation I've seen in games. Because it doesn't even come up unless you play your character as being an rear end about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nina posted:

At the same time though, DA: Inquisition has pretty much the only bit of tasteful trans representation I've seen in games. Because it doesn't even come up unless you play your character as being an rear end about it.

I remember accidentally picking that dialogue option because it's just like "how long have you known" or something like that and I didn't even realize the character was trans so I had no idea what I was asking about

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nina posted:

There's a trans character in Horizon that's handled in a lowkey cool way, I thought.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember accidentally picking that dialogue option because it's just like "how long have you known" or something like that and I didn't even realize the character was trans so I had no idea what I was asking about

I gotta say Inquisition really has a problem with conveying what the dialogue choices are actually gonna be like coming from the mouth of your character

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

glam rock hamhock posted:

Possible minor effort post about NitW with spoiler incoming

Mae isn't hosed up because of the elder god living under the town. That's unrelated. The elder god is just sort of there and not doing anything. It talks to Mae but mainly to express that she doesn't like these people that keep coming to it and wants them to go away. NitW is at least partially a game about how the older generation desperately want to hold on to the glory days when things were better in their minds and the newer generation just want to burn everything down that came before them because it's weighing them down and preventing them from being able to live their own lives.

The Elder God is just kind of there and it's confused and aggravated people keep coming to it. The people in town that worship it keep sacrificing people they don't think are important to it in a hope that it will make things better but it doesn't. Things are going to poo poo. Any improvements the sacrifices are making is in their heads as can clearly be seen by the fact the town really is getting worse. the elder god doesn't even understand what's going on and what people want from it, nor does it have any interest in these things. The town is sacrificing the youth to it for no actual reason. It's a literal version of the themes where the older generation are destroying the lives of the younger generation for the sake of preserving something that they can't preserve.

That’s awesome I need to play this game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm trying to think of games with strong female villains

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

precision posted:

KOTOR2 is the only game that immediately pops into mind for me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JEYNE KASSYNDER

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

^^ dammit!

precision posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExeoT_jZHA

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Does Dead Cells have a non early access release date? The steam page says 8-12 months of early access, but no indication of when they was written, so..

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Someone apparently posted a brief promotional clip of that new Amazon MMO on reddit:

https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/702mv.mp4?token=1515270321-Z0XRSHlOZR1CsfEDdq8pDErC7QNN2BHRVdGWeAM0jqM%3D

it doesn't show much but as far as I know this is the first we've seen of the actual game

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
So bought Titanfall 2 right after launch sometime and played the multiplayer for 20ish hours.

Today I figured I'd try the singleplayer. Played from beginning to end in one sitting. What a [drat fine campaign! Might be one of my fav shooter campaigns now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Flavahbeast posted:

Someone apparently posted a brief promotional clip of that new Amazon MMO on reddit:

https://cf-b2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/702mv.mp4?token=1515270321-Z0XRSHlOZR1CsfEDdq8pDErC7QNN2BHRVdGWeAM0jqM%3D

it doesn't show much but as far as I know this is the first we've seen of the actual game

Tag yourself, I'm the single-digit framerate.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's funny that even when games have strong female protagonists, they are unwilling to give them romantic subplots. I think as progressive as Horizon is in many ways, I think it falls in this trend of not giving it's main character any sexuality because there's this (unfortunately at least partially correct) idea that male gamers will feel really uncomfortable playing a character that has romantic feeling towards a dude, even if within the game it's a heterosexual relationship. I also feel that, as cool as it is to having Lesbian representation in game, that that's used to sort of cheat it at times. It lets you be progressive without asking the hetero male audience to play out a relationship with a guy. In Horizon it's weird because Alloy just seems really baffled with any pass made at her or any romance happening in any of the stories she stumbles across, and while part of it in the game is her just not having time for that poo poo, that excuse is pretty easy to dismiss when the developer wants to insert that stuff.

Aloy being kind of weird about romance makes sense in the first game, but it would be disappointing if she never got a romantic interest in future titles. Making her bisexual seems like the easiest way to please everybody, but that also sort of makes the whole thing feel tawdry -- and if you made her gay, then you're sort of playing the risk of being seen as either pandering to males anyway or else alienating straight women or making Aloy into a lesbian stereotype, neither of which seem good either.

As a male gamer, I'd be happy if there were heteroromantic relationships available for Aloy to pursue and I think the talk that men are somehow made insecure by this is surely overblown -- and if it isn't, then it's more important than ever to include such a thing, because that sort of insecurity is stupid and should not be a major factor for determining a character's sexuality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm robosexual and want to romance a Thunderjaw.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the single-digit framerate.

I'm the token MMO list of features being read out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello, I hope everybody is having a good saturday.

I finished Strife: Veteran Edition last night, got the best ending. Too bad about the Proving Grounds map though. That area was just annoying as hell because I could never seem to figure out which switch changed what part of the map and I ended up having to follow a guide to retrace my steps to get to the part where I could make progress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oxx your readings of stuff are so complicated.

cheetah7071 posted:

Laugh yeah join the club, I thought they were just a dude with a higher voice until the game stopped to tell me and I felt dumb.
I also didn't realize that captain Kidd was a girl until she was pregnant in black flag, so maybe I'm just genderblind in games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

i'm hoping this is sarcasm because i'm not doing anything more than just reading into what's in the game itself

i am not BotL

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Romance in openworld games is always really bad. Or really any game where it's in a weird optional space disconnected from the rest of the writing and character interactions

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Motto posted:

Romance in openworld games is always really bad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

Lost Planet 3 is the only other game I can think of like that off the type of my head.

*Edit*

And I just remembered King's Quest too.

LP3 has a funny moment where the hot as hell obvious love interest scientist lady hits on space dad and he's just like, sorry, but I'm married. and they never bring it up again

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Grapplejack posted:

Laugh yeah join the club, I thought they were just a dude with a higher voice until the game stopped to tell me and I felt dumb.
I also didn't realize that captain Kidd was a girl until she was pregnant in black flag, so maybe I'm just genderblind in games

Did you completely miss the mission where she comes out to Kenway, not even in a subtle way, the mission who just happens to be called "Unmanned"

cause that's pretty drat blind.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Aloy being kind of weird about romance makes sense in the first game, but it would be disappointing if she never got a romantic interest in future titles. Making her bisexual seems like the easiest way to please everybody, but that also sort of makes the whole thing feel tawdry -- and if you made her gay, then you're sort of playing the risk of being seen as either pandering to males anyway or else alienating straight women or making Aloy into a lesbian stereotype, neither of which seem good either.

As a male gamer, I'd be happy if there were heteroromantic relationships available for Aloy to pursue and I think the talk that men are somehow made insecure by this is surely overblown -- and if it isn't, then it's more important than ever to include such a thing, because that sort of insecurity is stupid and should not be a major factor for determining a character's sexuality.

I was very glad there was no romance in Horizon because they are always terrible or a wish-fulfillment fantasy which I think wouldn't mesh very well with the rest of the game.

Not that things not being reasonable ever stopped gaming developers from shoving them in tho.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Eh, I think there are games with fine romance stuff as either part of the actual plot or at least a major side component with decent character bits like some of the HM games. And even what I said earlier isn't axiomatic, but it's weird when I'm playing something like persona 5 and literally every s.link with a girl contains an awkward romance hook that then barely changes like, 3 scenes afterwards.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

LP3 has a funny moment where the hot as hell obvious love interest scientist lady hits on space dad and he's just like, sorry, but I'm married. and they never bring it up again

Sounds like a pretty professional and adult way to handle it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think being able to pick your character's romance option is cool enough that I'm willing to put up with the lovely writing that inevitably follows

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

precision posted:

That's actually a hard question. Would they need to be the main villain or any kind? I can think of some that aren't the final boss.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Did you completely miss the mission where she comes out to Kenway, not even in a subtle way, the mission who just happens to be called "Unmanned"

cause that's pretty drat blind.

I went back and looked and I think I accidentally skipped the last cutscene in that mission, so that explains it :v:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Colonel posted:

Who’s the one in XY? Or are you talking about the daycare worker from one of the BW games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

Sounds like a pretty professional and adult way to handle it.

Yes! Lost Planet 3 starts off very good with fun characters. Sadly, by the end it's just you and a bunch of bad combat for hours and hours...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Scrap Dragon posted:

Who’s the one in XY? Or are you talking about the daycare worker from one of the BW games?

the original jp line is literally something like "i used to be a karate king. isn't modern medical science a wonder?" which is a bit more explicit about it but barring the name change from karate king to black belt in the us games, the us line just reads as them saying "i'm a woman now. it's pretty badass" which owns imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I guess that's some kind of victory

• Locked thread