Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zoran posted:

Ursula is strong. Enjoy your hellgrind.

Hellgrind is putting it lightly, Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ursula's not bad if you unlock her fourth row and then stop .

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

voltcatfish posted:

Ursula's not bad if you unlock her fourth row and then stop .

There has never been a game with that high a jump. It’s impressive

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I'm using Urusula's merc missions to grind out new blades' abilities. She aiite.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ursula's missions are really good for grinding out Blade abilities, yeah. I just wish I had pulled her before the rear end-end of the game!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Ursula's missions are really good for grinding out Blade abilities, yeah. I just wish I had pulled her before the rear end-end of the game!

You dont really want her too early either as she requires one group out constantly which severly limits your merc mission options.

Edit: I honestly believe the missions were originally supposed to give you the number of stamps your mission rank is but somebody hosed with the values because thats the only explanation that makes any sense.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Barudak posted:

You dont really want her too early either as she requires one group out constantly which severly limits your merc mission options.

Edit: I honestly believe the missions were originally supposed to give you the number of stamps your mission rank is but somebody hosed with the values because thats the only explanation that makes any sense.

A lot of values feel like they were tweaked late.

For instance, gaining trust from all methods seems way too low. Or the thresholds are set way too high.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Superbosses should give like 4000 trust per kill imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game is grindy as gently caress and feels like a bog standard JRPG at many points.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
With rare blade's personal quests that start out in the world, do they need to be equipped in your party to trigger?

As an example (only chapter 4 or 5 so just in case): Approaching someone getting menaced in an alley leads to a cut scene with Perceval, would that have happened, or would the quest start marker have been there if he wasn't already in my party? Likewise heart-to-hearts that trigger or progress blade quests?

Game is still growing on me despite a few annoyances, but the more it grows on me, the more I long for an XC1 remaster.

Also... things like face slap to smashing the screen in a FF style combat transition really makes up for a lot of annoyances

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 6, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This game is grindy as gently caress and feels like a bog standard JRPG at many points.

I haven't done much grinding besides the subquests, I'm at chapter 6 and my my guys are all lvl 49 to 52. so far the bosses have been below me.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Amppelix posted:

Anyone know how exactly counterattacks work? And I mean those counterattacks that are listed on some blades' affinity trees as "counter attacks with X% damage". One of Poppi's flavor texts suggests it has to do with evading attacks which would make sense as QT is all about evasion.

IIRC it means the enemy will take damage when they miss an attack on that character. You should see some purple damage numbers pop up when that happens.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gravy Jones posted:

With rare blade's personal quests that start out in the world, do they need to be equipped in your party to trigger?

Yes.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Oh well, it's not like I don't have my phone and a notepad next to me at all times with this game already :rolleyes:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kinda bs that Dagas's affinity chart completely resets after his quest, and still requires another 7700 trust to max out. Also his field skills are trash, nopon wisdom but not fire mastery? Really?

Edit: Floren's last affinity node is lv 5 of Lavender Drive, but it's still showing ??? Even though I am very close to the endgame and have finished his quest. What the heck?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 6, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I don't ever recall having to grind to progress in the story

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I completed all of Ursula's side merc missions, for 99 of each stamp, and finished her quest. She ended all of that with about 2600 trust :laffo: this game is a loving joke sometimes!!!!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

bizarre deformity posted:

I completed all of Ursula's side merc missions, for 99 of each stamp, and finished her quest. She ended all of that with about 2600 trust :laffo: this game is a loving joke sometimes!!!!

lol loving owned

e: it's a shame this game doesn't have trophies. I'd love to see a wave of posts of despair as people try to grind out every single blade

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got a 4* bitball blade with 5/5 Orb Mastery and Slamdown last night, that's good right.

Still no Zenobia though :(

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I feel genuinely bad for anyone who hasn't rolled Zenobia, doing 100k damage topple attacks are hilarious and fun. I'm in Ch8 and once I finish up all the missables I'm gonna power through to the end of the game so I have access to the postgame bosses and accessory grinding spots, then I gotta decide who my postgame party is going to be. I know Tora/Poppi are broken as hell but I'm genuinely dreading playing Tiger Tiger in any lengthy capacity so I might just pass on him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm curious why come they didn't get Akira Toriyama to design a blade

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I got a 4* bitball blade with 5/5 Orb Mastery and Slamdown last night, that's good right.

Still no Zenobia though :(

Sup fellow non-Zenobia haver! I got yet another rare Blade in my quest for her: Agate! She's cute anyway...

I've been shoving all the wind-Boosters I've gotten my hands on down Zeke's throat and she still hasn't shown up. Bah. I want to see what the fuss is about!

Regarding Boosters, folks mentioned a way to get more is through Salvaging. What's the method for that, exactly? My usual Salvaging spot, the Mor Ardain docks, didn't get my any Boosters. Is there a particular kind of Cylinder or whatever that gives Boosters?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Silver Falcon posted:

Sup fellow non-Zenobia haver! I got yet another rare Blade in my quest for her: Agate! She's cute anyway...

I've been shoving all the wind-Boosters I've gotten my hands on down Zeke's throat and she still hasn't shown up. Bah. I want to see what the fuss is about!

Regarding Boosters, folks mentioned a way to get more is through Salvaging. What's the method for that, exactly? My usual Salvaging spot, the Mor Ardain docks, didn't get my any Boosters. Is there a particular kind of Cylinder or whatever that gives Boosters?

Boosters are from trading in the items. Do you not notice occasional "can't carry any more" when you're getting thousands of monies?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

destroying common blades also gets me a lot of boosters

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Do you only get 4* generics from legendary cores? I've opened probably 100 rare cores and never seen higher than a 3*

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I feel genuinely bad for anyone who hasn't rolled Zenobia, doing 100k damage topple attacks are hilarious and fun. I'm in Ch8 and once I finish up all the missables I'm gonna power through to the end of the game so I have access to the postgame bosses and accessory grinding spots, then I gotta decide who my postgame party is going to be. I know Tora/Poppi are broken as hell but I'm genuinely dreading playing Tiger Tiger in any lengthy capacity so I might just pass on him

I'm just going to say that if you use Rex as your attacker instead of Zeke, you're definitely doing it wrong. Unless, of course, you use both. Zeke's personality cannot be contained on the bench.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

I'm just going to say that if you use Rex as your attacker instead of Zeke, you're definitely doing it wrong. Unless, of course, you use both. Zeke's personality cannot be contained on the bench.

In the postgame I think it's theoretically possible to just have three attackers so long as everyone is running a critheal build. As hilarious as Zeke is and as much as I love him, his skills just take way too much time. If you're doing a smash combo, you barely have enough time to switch party members and get the next skill off, since your combo you theoretically want to use is Pandoria Zenobia and then a Spear user. Rex, on the other hand, can Topple, switch to Zenobia, use her axe attack that does 120% bonus damage to toppled enemies, and then launch, and that's even without his affinity skill that boosts topple duration. Rex is just blatantly the best character and I'm not totally sure if that matters for the superbosses but it might, I'm not there yet.

Right now I'm mid 60s and running Rex Nia Four, but Rex Four Zeke would be my upgrade of choice when I graduate out from a healer. Ultimate attacker team would be Rex Zeke Tora, but if I don't end up grinding out Poppi parts I might slap Nia back in and give her KOSMOS/Herald since she has the 2nd highest ether attack behind Rex. Also Zeke was the one who pulled Zenobia so I can switch her between him and Rex which feels real nice

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silver Falcon posted:

Agate is great and her quest is really good (just use a guide so you don't go insane). Early in her quest you find out she's terrified of bugs and I noticed when using her that she reacts appropriately when you fight them in the world as well :allears:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't ever recall having to grind to progress in the story

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

bizarre deformity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Grinding ain't just for levels and it ain't scoped strictly to the main story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You are the "Get all the celestial weapon" type of person, aren't you?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

Boosters are from trading in the items. Do you not notice occasional "can't carry any more" when you're getting thousands of monies?

I have not quite gotten the hang of the trading for treasures thing. What I was doing was Salvaging in the Mor Ardain docks and then selling the treasures in whatever region I wanted to build up Development with. I poked around and it seemed to me that the treasure sets are particular to each region, and probably can only be salvaged in that region? If that's not the case then I am a dumb rear end.

IcePhoenix posted:

Agate is great and her quest is really good (just use a guide so you don't go insane). Early in her quest you find out she's terrified of bugs and I noticed when using her that she reacts appropriately when you fight them in the world as well :allears:

Yeah, she's good. I'm doing her quest now, because I like Blade quests. I just wish Zenobia would come home. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I have not quite gotten the hang of the trading for treasures thing. What I was doing was Salvaging in the Mor Ardain docks and then selling the treasures in whatever region I wanted to build up Development with. I poked around and it seemed to me that the treasure sets are particular to each region, and probably can only be salvaged in that region? If that's not the case then I am a dumb rear end.

Oh christ, no you don't sell the parts individually. You go to the guy with the Scale over his head and you trade in specific parts. Farming with gold cylinders give you items and like 38k each time. Like easily 500k in 20 minutes.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The way to build up development in a given region is to salvage and turn in sets in that same region. Or just do it in one region, because once you get one to five stars you can buy gold cylinders there for the same amount as their sell price. And selling raises dev points anywhere, so you can get Mor Ardain to 5 stars, then buy 99 gold cylinders, sell them elsewhere, and repeat to cheese it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
To whom should I give Herald to

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nia.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Is there any way to tell what level my other party members' specials are at?

Like I'd like to know if someone's got a 2 or 3 in the bag before i try and initiate a blade combo. It sucks to watch stage 2's meter run out :(.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

As far as I can tell, no, outside of the indicators you get when blade comboing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tae posted:

Oh christ, no you don't sell the parts individually. You go to the guy with the Scale over his head and you trade in specific parts. Farming with gold cylinders give you items and like 38k each time. Like easily 500k in 20 minutes.

Oh... Yeah I figured that's how it worked but I could rarely get very many of the sets so I would just sell whatever I couldn't make a set of.

Zoran posted:

The way to build up development in a given region is to salvage and turn in sets in that same region. Or just do it in one region, because once you get one to five stars you can buy gold cylinders there for the same amount as their sell price. And selling raises dev points anywhere, so you can get Mor Ardain to 5 stars, then buy 99 gold cylinders, sell them elsewhere, and repeat to cheese it.

I didn't think of doing this either. In fact I have two regions at 5*!

Anyway, that's helpful, thanks everyone!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh... Yeah I figured that's how it worked but I could rarely get very many of the sets so I would just sell whatever I couldn't make a set of.

Buy like 10 golden cylinders. Farm at the old factory salvage spot, possibly with a salvage mastery blade equipped. You will get 38k parts and more than enough boosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

To whom should I give Herald to

Zeke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v08PIDx9nA