Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Guy Mann posted:

It's a pretty good show so long as you don't mind that the explanation for why weird things happen on a magic island is because it's a magic island.

I don't think the magic island is the issue. There's plenty of shows I enjoy who have similar explanations or resolutions. I think its a question of what the show sells. Lost spent years selling a complicated web of conspiracy and mystery as its primary selling point and the reason to watch the show (and even obsess over it) and when you do that you're going to face some tough scrutiny when you finally provide the answers. Some people were satisfied with what they got, others weren't.

I mean, Lost did a thing where they spent like years promoting a series of numbers, questioning what their deeper meaning was, and going so far as to place them in other tv shows and mediums to expand the excitement and if I'm remembering correctly it turned out to just be a serial number.

I think its kind of hard to argue that Lost wasn't "dumb" a lot of the time, especially with payoffs. That doesn't mean it wasn't a compelling character piece. Or that if you avoid getting too invested in the mysteries and watching it now miss the years long poo poo show of hype around the mysteries you can enjoy it for that character stuff. But the show is definitely dumb at a lot of points, especially its conspiracy and mystery stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zoolander 2049 looking pretty good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Hopefully this adaptation won't get hosed over in its second season like American Gods did :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is just a mini.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

STAC Goat posted:

if I'm remembering correctly it turned out to just be a serial number.

They eventually revealed a numbered list of people and the six numbers were the six most important characters in the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, was that that weird lighthouse and magic telescope thing? That least season is really a blur for me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Why did the foot statue in season 1 only have 4 toes?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was some kind of Egyptian half animal god with four toes or something.

Which is probably a better example of Lost's "that makes sense but it wasn't worth X years of hype to hear" question/answer problem.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

And when you stop to think about it, you shouldn't get polar bears in tropical regions
Motherfucker, we got like 5 of them in the Gold Coast.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
those are just albino koalas

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

those are just albino koalas

I'd rather be attacked by a Polar Bear, least i'd be dead and not sliced up and covered in Koala piss.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve been rewatching Frisky Dingo for the first time in years. I didn’t realize Taquil I’d voiced by Killer Mike. That’s awesome, Killer Mike is the man.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve been rewatching Frisky Dingo for the first time in years. I didn’t realize Taquil I’d voiced by Killer Mike. That’s awesome, Killer Mike is the man.

Wasn't there someone else kind of famous that voiced a character, but was never credited because if they credited him then they would have to pay him the minimum amount for a SAG member, which they couldn't afford?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jerry Van Dyke died.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Looks better than that promo shot of Tennant and Sheen. All I can see from Tennant is Geddy Lee:

swickles posted:

Wasn't there someone else kind of famous that voiced a character, but was never credited because if they credited him then they would have to pay him the minimum amount for a SAG member, which they couldn't afford?

The big example of this that comes to mind is the first Metal Gear Solid, in which everyone but David Hayter (who wasn't SAG) had to be credited under a pseudonym because they couldn't afford guild rates.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 7, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Hopefully this adaptation won't get hosed over in its second season like American Gods did :smith:

Bryan Fuller was insane, the costs for American Gods were skyhigh as all hell and unlike Game of Thrones the eyes watching it weren't enough to justify even more money being thrown at the second season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Looks better than that promo shot of Tennant and Sheen. All I can see from Tennant is Geddy Lee:

oh gently caress now i can't unsee it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More bad American Gods S2 news, Gillian Anderson has stated that she will not be returning.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

More bad American Gods S2 news, Gillian Anderson has stated that she will not be returning.

I'm out....

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

At this point I figure it's an open question as to whether or not a second season actually gets made.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Crash and burn, huh goons?

Fuller, you stink.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd still follow Emily Browning down a rabbit hole, i'll probably watch it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It sucks that American Gods is currently self-destructing, but I don't know what Bryan Fuller was expecting when he asked for a larger budget. The show was insanely expensive to make as-is and the current budget wasn't enough for him?

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable. They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just making it an animated series but American networks are deathly afraid of making animated dramas for some reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I read the same about Kristen Chenoweth.

HorseRenoir posted:

It sucks that American Gods is currently self-destructing, but I don't know what Bryan Fuller was expecting when he asked for a larger budget. The show was insanely expensive to make as-is and the current budget wasn't enough for him?

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable. They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble by just making it an animated series but American networks are deathly afraid of making animated dramas for some reason.

Netflix seems to bankroll plenty of shitawful animated shows, so they probably would have backed it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Wouldn't it take too long to make a high quality animated show? given that it takes about 2 or 3 years to make one 90 minute movie

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Timby posted:

At this point I figure it's an open question as to whether or not a second season actually gets made.

I mean, you could probably recast Anderson's part given the nebulous nature of the character (thought it would probably be a noticeable step down), but there's no replacing Chenoweth in that role. And at a certain point you worry about having to contort the story so much when the guy for whom the whole thing is a passion project isn't there anymore.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Started watching Vikings, does the lead actor get better? I've watched 4 eps so far and he's just....:shrug: It's not stopping me from watching the show because the setting is cool and it's well produced but he just doesn't seem to have much range at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

At least with her character its easy to replace her with a different actress :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

Started watching Vikings, does the lead actor get better? I've watched 4 eps so far and he's just....:shrug: It's not stopping me from watching the show because the setting is cool and it's well produced but he just doesn't seem to have much range at all.

You'll be eating those words later on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

HorseRenoir posted:

A live-action adaptation of American Gods is straight-up unworkable.

Nah. It's easily filmable and it's filmable on the shows first season budget.

Bryan Fuller, it's time to admit, is just not a good show runner.

A creative genius, yes, but that's not what a show runner is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yes. I didn't really love the show until season 2. I went back to see some season 1 episodes a while ago and it's really low budget compared to what the show is now. The actor steps up in later seasons.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Nah. It's easily filmable and it's filmable on the shows first season budget.

Bryan Fuller, it's time to admit, is just not a good show runner.

A creative genius, yes, but that's not what a show runner is.

He should pull a Tim Schafer and crowdfund his next project so all the fans who defend him as being unfairly yanked around by the studios can pull a 180 as soon as its their money on the line.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I was just watching some random Star Wars universe videos on Youtube and I got a serious itch to explore the tv universe.

I was never a prequel/Anakin fan, so I was initially thinking of skipping The Clone Wars, but after reading some "best episodes" lists it seems like the show didn't always follow Anakin and Obi-Wan around all the time but rather had episodes where they would focus almost solely on new/minor characters or villains.

I've always thought a live action anthology show set in the Star Wars universe (kind of like a live action tv version of the old Star Wars Tales from books. ) that just brings in the greatest working writers and allows them to write single episodes and a maybe some multi-episode arcs within the Star Wars universe would be just awesome. So I'd be open to hearing about those types of episodes from The Clone Wars series.

I'm very interested in checking out Rebels and wanted to hear some thoughts on how that show turned out now that it only has a few episodes left before it ends. I'm curious what kind of show it was general? Episodic or serial drama? I'm really more of serial drama fan. Also like to hear about which episodes/arcs are essential, and which are skipable, etc.

EDIT: To add in Star Wars anthology style episode interests

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 7, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

So I was just watching some random Star Wars universe videos on Youtube and I got a serious itch to explore the tv universe. I was never a prequel fan, so I think I'm gonna skip The Clone Wars. But I'm interested in checking out Rebels and wanted to hear some thoughts on how that show turned out now that it only has a few episodes left before it ends.

I'm curious what kind of show it was general? Episodic or serial drama? I'm really more of serial drama fan. Also like to hear about which episodes/arcs are essential, and which are skipable, etc.

it's mostly serial, I'd help to watch Clone Wars, even if it's just the key episodes. There are some carryover characters.

Rebels is early rebellion, Very Jedi/force heavy. It's great, first season animation is a bit chunky, but it's characters are awesome, including the droids.

Lots of space battles. Stormtroopers, The ship that saves the day in Rogue One gets it's first appearance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Shockingly, the Clone Wars show actually makes Anakin into a great character, so don't let that stop you. Clone Wars is also very easy to watch because the stories come in 1-3 episode min-arcs that work as stand-alones in an anthology way, but all connect to the larger narrative. It really is a remarkable show from a storytelling perspective.

Rebels is pure garbage. It's incredibly derivative and brings nothing new to the table. It's characters are highly unlikeable and constantly make very stupid choices.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jar Jar is also pretty funny on Clone Wars

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

feedmyleg posted:

Rebels is pure garbage. It's incredibly derivative and brings nothing new to the table. It's characters are highly unlikeable and constantly make very stupid choices.

I've never watched a Star Wars cartoon in my life aside from the Nelvana one in the holiday special but I still know of Rebels just because even by Star Wars EU standards a laser slingshot is incredibly silly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

I read the same about Kristen Chenoweth.

Neither of them want to continue without Fuller, afaik.

Star Wars Rebels looks like it's made of Lego but Clone Wars looked pretty decent (because George Lucas ploughed a bunch of money into it).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Veronica Mars started airing on UPN 13 years ago. gently caress. UPN doesn't even exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

-Blackadder- posted:

I've always thought a live action anthology show set in the Star Wars universe (kind of like a live action tv version of the old Star Wars Tales from books. ) that just brings in the greatest working writers and allows them to write single episodes and a maybe some multi-episode arcs within the Star Wars universe would be just awesome. So I'd be open to hearing about those types of episodes from The Clone Wars series.

Lucas was preparing a live action Star Wars before he sold it to Disney. Legend goes that 50 scripts had been written (including one by Simon Pegg), but Lucas was just waiting for it to become more cost effective for the ambition of the series to be film.

Disney put the kibosh on it however, and is now planning their own Star Wars TV series.