Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Haha, what part of "I love this free bed they gave me, click on my affiliate link to save 10%!!!" did you not think was a scam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Always did think that the articles over the Leesa were a little too gushing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know they roll up the foam mattresses at IKEA for delivery; are those (in queen) small enough when packed up to be brought home in a standard sedan or do they not roll up that small? I'd like to be able to pick one up first thing tomorrow without having to rent a truck if I can.

I scammed myself super-hard on a sleepnumber thing two years ago and as of last night I've had enough of the thing either leaking or just being generally uncomfortable. I've never tried a foam or latex mattress (leaning towards latex, I hate being too warm in bed and I'm a fat bastard).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I got the Tuft and Needle a couple years ago before they had competitors and it's awesome. The queen size shipped right to my doorstep and was rolled tight enough to fit through every door and tight corner it needed to while still in the box.

E: oh I've already told this thread about it, why did I think I was in GiP current events

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ciaphas posted:

I know they roll up the foam mattresses at IKEA for delivery; are those (in queen) small enough when packed up to be brought home in a standard sedan or do they not roll up that small? I'd like to be able to pick one up first thing tomorrow without having to rent a truck if I can.

I scammed myself super-hard on a sleepnumber thing two years ago and as of last night I've had enough of the thing either leaking or just being generally uncomfortable. I've never tried a foam or latex mattress (leaning towards latex, I hate being too warm in bed and I'm a fat bastard).

If it's a bed in a box product (e.g., Tuft & Needle, Casper, Leesa, etc.) then it will be vacuum sealed in a small box and will fit anywhere. If it's just tightly rolled, then it might be ok? Ikea mattresses tend to be on the thin side, so you'll *probably* be alright.

Sleep Number is a definite love-it-or-hate it product. Latex is hella expensive if it's good, and will generally be quite firm, since latex has very little give on its own. I have personally had a lot of success showing ex-sleep number folks to all foam options, though they seem to be less than impressed with inexpensive options. I would caution you to consider a higher density foam (try not to dip much below 4 lbs density, if possible) given your weight. In my experience, lower density foam does not support a heavier individual very well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm getting a purple mattress when taxes come in, is the white powder gonna kill me/make me trip balls?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Leal posted:

I'm getting a purple mattress when taxes come in, is the white powder gonna kill me/make me trip balls?

Probably not, but don't huff/inject it into your veins.

I honestly have never noticed any of the white powder so I think its a tad overblown, plus while I'm here I'll talk about my experience with the mattress.

Owned it for about a month now, a little hard to get used to since I was always on pretty lovely rental beds before. But after sleeping at my parents on holidays I literally miss my bed now which I never had that feeling before. So definitely keeping it and not returning it.

It's decently soft, with a good bed sheet and pretty supple with good give that to me feels like I'm almost half floating, part of it might be the bed frame but the mattress is no slouch either. I'm 6' ish and about 170 lbs if you wanted to know my body type.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are you a side sleeper? I've been looking at reviews and there seems to be a persistent complaint from side sleepers. Both for a Purple mattress and a Tuft and Needle mattress.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I have a Brooklyn Bedding full size, default firmness, and it's great.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
I bought a Leesa a few months ago. My wife finds it too firm but I like it ok. It's good at not transferring motion. It seems better than the similarly priced spring mattresses we tried.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Leal posted:

Are you a side sleeper? I've been looking at reviews and there seems to be a persistent complaint from side sleepers. Both for a Purple mattress and a Tuft and Needle mattress.

Side sleepers seem to get ignored by a lot of the mattress companies. Seems like a lot of the bed in a box places are made for back sleepers. I've been looking into Brooklyn Bedding or SleeponLatex.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TLG James posted:

Side sleepers seem to get ignored by a lot of the mattress companies. Seems like a lot of the bed in a box places are made for back sleepers. I've been looking into Brooklyn Bedding or SleeponLatex.

As a bed salesguy, generally we recommend going on the softer side for side sleepers--whether foam or traditional or hybrid. Essentially, the weight distribution of side sleepers puts a lot of compression on a relatively small area. Pressure relief is very important for that reason, to minimize discomfort (and/or circulation issues) in shoulders and hips.

You don't see much accommodation towards side sleepers from beds in a box, as they are generally all foam; they're often some variation of firm. They tend towards firm because common knowledge is that firm is always better (this is patently untrue btw).

Purple seems like it would be ok, as would some of the better Leesa mattresses. I think Casper is trying to design something more accommodating for side sleepers, but their company has done some mega shifty bullshit with regards to how they conduct business. Aside from T&N having a garbage product, and Casper being an underhanded company, I don't have a lot of feelings concerning other online only companies.

tim0mit posted:

I bought a Leesa a few months ago. My wife finds it too firm but I like it ok. It's good at not transferring motion. It seems better than the similarly priced spring mattresses we tried.

All foam is always very good at reducing motion transfer. Chances are that the coil based units you were looking at had some measure of connected coils, which is butts at preventing motion transfer. Literally any all foam product will be good at isolating each person's movement by virtue of the way it is constructed.

Connected coils are the worst for this.
Individually wrapped coils are pretty OK at this.
Foam is the best, with some foams being better than others.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Synastren posted:

Aside from T&N having a garbage product,

I'll admit I haven't been following this thread as closely as I should be, but why is this so? I had T&N on my short list along with Purple.

I am very curious about this because I always sleep on my side and have broad shoulders so a firm mattress is very uncomfortable.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm a side sleeper but also have a lot of chunked memory foam pillows for that reason

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Like I keep trying to sleep on my back but I swear, I can end up drop dead tired, on a night off so I'm staying up as late as possible and only sleeping cause I'm nodding off in the chair. Then I lay on my back, pop in my earplugs, close my eyes and....

And....

Then I flip over to my side and instantly clock out. My body just refuses to sleep when I'm on my back, if I ever go to surgery I'm gonna have to tell the anesthetist to keep me on my side otherwise I'm gonna wake up mid surgery.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm a side sleeper but also have a lot of chunked memory foam pillows for that reason

I have a memory foam pillow under a buckwheat pillow. It is the most comfortable situation I've ever had as a side sleeper.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

These are filled with diced up bits of the foam, they're super firm yet shapable unlike the solid ones. Four of them and two really nice xfirm huge down pillows for my head and it's like sleeping in a body mold.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Leal posted:

Like I keep trying to sleep on my back but I swear, I can end up drop dead tired, on a night off so I'm staying up as late as possible and only sleeping cause I'm nodding off in the chair. Then I lay on my back, pop in my earplugs, close my eyes and....

And....

Then I flip over to my side and instantly clock out. My body just refuses to sleep when I'm on my back, if I ever go to surgery I'm gonna have to tell the anesthetist to keep me on my side otherwise I'm gonna wake up mid surgery.

This is me lol. I'm almost 40, and I could be on drugs or drunk as all hell, and if I lay on my back, I would just lay there until infinity - sleep is completely impossible. I lay on my side and I'm out like a light. I was actually in the hospital for a few days once and I had to figure out how to fix the stupid bed to go as flat as possible so that I wasn't all jacked up and bent in half on my stomach. The entire idea of sleeping on your back just boggles me to this day. I know I said it before in this thread. So sorry if I'm repeating, but I'm just glad there is another like me.

I have been looking everywhere for those TOTALLY AWESOME looking box pillows! I have never seen one and still can't find one. A pillow that comes about 1.5/2 inches high and is bolstered around the edges into a box ... Sign me up!!

I still can't say enough for us side and stomach sleepers that you should buy the cheapest acceptable very firm (probably foam) mattress of any type and save a thousand dollars on a king-size, and then spend all your money on the topper. My mattress is a reasonably close-to-the-worst-but-not-poo poo foam deal, and then I spent like $500 on a 3-inch topper, and I sleep like a baby, and I'm not the best sleeper and I have two dogs that do their best to wake me up at the worst times.

I've never heard about bed-bugs though lol. I'm not stuck-up or rich or any of that, but maybe it's regional??

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Unload My Head posted:

I mean a food-grade white powder is going to just be corn starch 100% of the time, right?

Gee, hope I don’t get sued for saying so but my guess is diatomaceous earth. Does touching the powder dry out skin big time?

DoggPickle posted:

I've never heard about bed-bugs though lol. I'm not stuck-up or rich or any of that, but maybe it's regional??

Bedbugs are regional, preferring big cities because there are lots of tasty people in them, but it’s a growing issue due to travel. And rich or poor it doesn’t matter because bedbugs have nothing to do with filth the way roaches and flies do (they also don’t transmit disease, thank God). If you do any traveling look over a bedbug guide and take a few minutes to inspect the room, especially mattress seams. An infestation can be pretty obvious if you know what to look for. Once they’re in, they’re in, and about the only thing that can kill them off is extreme heat or cold. Oh, and treating the room with food-grade diatomaceous earth because that stuff slices up exoskeletons real good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I've had two Tuft and Needle twins we pushed together as a king (Black Friday it was cheap, cheap, cheap) for a couple months now. Could not be happier. Back, side, stomach all great. Put them on some cosco boxes and frame. Have no complaints at all and I sleep so much better.

topher2915
Jul 15, 2004
I used a king purple with the adjustable frame for about a month in December. My wife and I are both side sleepers only, we both hated it. All the reviews we read had it about medium firmness, but it seemed much harder than that. My shoulders hurt at the joint every morning from being too "compressed", for lack of a better term.

Also had the purple pillow, it sucked for similar reasons. Both pillow and mattress did sleep noticeably cooler.

I went to a medium on the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora, their top of the line. I am sleeping like a rock in it, through I am still considering going with their "soft" version, as each of their beds has three options. The mattress is a hybrid with individual pocket coils on the bottom and a couple different layers and types of foam up top. It transfers more motion than the purple, and may be slightly warmer in the summer months (though it does mention a lot of cooling technology) but regardless it is a hell of a lot better than the purple.

No issues with the return form purple, they set it all up quickly and zero hassle.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Unload My Head posted:

I'll admit I haven't been following this thread as closely as I should be, but why is this so? I had T&N on my short list along with Purple.

I am very curious about this because I always sleep on my side and have broad shoulders so a firm mattress is very uncomfortable.
I got one recently, and it's fine? It is pretty firm. But I also have broad shoulders and sleep on my side and I haven't really had a problem with it.

As far as sex goes, if it doesn't have enough "bounce" for you, well, you can always gently caress somewhere more exciting.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Yo I don't really want to shill out, but the Firm has a baller sale going on beds in a box.

tulo (the biab we got to compete directly with Tuft & Needle, Leesa, etc.) is half off-ish through almost the rest of February. If you were looking for a cheap queen/king mattress of decent quality that you want to try in a store, this is a stupid good time to do it. It follows the King for Queen/Queen for Twin pricing to the letter.

I feel not so bad about shilling out here because we make basically no money on those sales, so go nuts. :v:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm about to bite the bullet and do it, I'm leaning towards a Tuft & Needle mattress with a Zinus Quick Snap 18" platform. I'm a fat, mostly-side sometimes-back sleeper who likes a firm mattress and sleeps hot, and based on the reviews I've read (primarily Wirecutter), it seems like a good way to go. Are the people in this thread who bought them still pretty happy with them? And how is the breathability?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am also a fat side sleeper and I really love my Tuft & Needle and would absolutely get one again.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

I think I'm about to bite the bullet and do it, I'm leaning towards a Tuft & Needle mattress with a Zinus Quick Snap 18" platform. I'm a fat, mostly-side sometimes-back sleeper who likes a firm mattress and sleeps hot, and based on the reviews I've read (primarily Wirecutter), it seems like a good way to go. Are the people in this thread who bought them still pretty happy with them? And how is the breathability?

Same, actually.
My main concern is that the mattress will get really hot during the summer when I already have difficulty sleeping due to how hot it gets. I will be buying soon so let me know how it goes.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
All the Tuft and Needle fans, are you buying the original mattress or the Mint model?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been looking at getting a new mattress recently, as I finally got well-paying work and am moving into a new place. I spent several hours yesterday going around to places and trying out mattresses -- unfortunately, most retail locations offer mattresses in the $3 to $7 thousand range, which is both well outside what I can afford and very likely overpriced.

The mattress I liked the most was the Serta iComfort, in particular the firmness of the foam combined with the excellent cooling properties. A queen ran something like $3500 in-store, but looking online I see that these mattresses run 1k to 2.5k, which is more within what I can pay. I was looking at the GhostBed Luxe earlier today before realizing that there's something like a hundred other mattress brands selling poo poo online. I'm slightly overwhelmed by all the variety of options I have now and am not sure where to start looking.

I sleep very hot, particularly in the summer (coming up), and am willing to pay for a mattress that can effectively mitigate this. Other than the Serta and the GhostBed Luxe, what other options do I have on this front?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm currently using a queen mattress-in-a-box that I think was a bit over $100 when I bought it around 2 years ago. I imagine it will probably give out after another year or so, but I'll probably buy the same thing again because it's pretty convenient being able to buy a mattress in like 5 minutes and in a pinch it's nice that (because it's only 8" thick I think) I can fold it in half and it fits in my hatchback.

I'm much less picky about mattresses, pillows, etc. than most people seem to be, though. I think for some reason my parents each require like 3 pillows, each of different specific hardnesses, which means that on occasion when I end up travelling somewhere with them they end up borrowing all the extra pillows from my hotel room in a valiant but fruitless attempt to search for the exact permutation they require.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 21, 2018

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've been looking at getting a new mattress recently, as I finally got well-paying work and am moving into a new place. I spent several hours yesterday going around to places and trying out mattresses -- unfortunately, most retail locations offer mattresses in the $3 to $7 thousand range, which is both well outside what I can afford and very likely overpriced.

The mattress I liked the most was the Serta iComfort, in particular the firmness of the foam combined with the excellent cooling properties. A queen ran something like $3500 in-store, but looking online I see that these mattresses run 1k to 2.5k, which is more within what I can pay. I was looking at the GhostBed Luxe earlier today before realizing that there's something like a hundred other mattress brands selling poo poo online. I'm slightly overwhelmed by all the variety of options I have now and am not sure where to start looking.

I sleep very hot, particularly in the summer (coming up), and am willing to pay for a mattress that can effectively mitigate this. Other than the Serta and the GhostBed Luxe, what other options do I have on this front?

Something to keep in mind is most of these companies have some variant of 90 day free trial. So don't be afraid of trying them out and just returning it if it doesn't work for you.

How the returns works for Purple (the mattress I bought) is they have a local charity that picks it up or they pay for a company to take it from you, so you don't have to deal with packaging it. Still a full refund unless you financed it in which case you pay any interest on the loan.

I still like my purple mattress, and I sometimes switch between back and side sleeping, but am mostly on my back. My body type is 181 cm and 170 lbs. Haven't owned it through a summer yet (got it in November) but so far its going okay.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After spending the entire loving weekend reading up on mattresses I decided to go with the Purple mattress (got the 3" layer on their new version). The grid system means better air circulation and significantly less heat retained... right?

It all seems very goofy and I'm not convinced it'll work out but I suppose that's what the trial period is for. At least now I should have something to sleep on when I move into my new place that won't be "the floor".

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

SKULL.GIF posted:

Where the gently caress are you shopping that you're finding iComforts for that price? Those have very specific guidelines from Serta for pricing purposes. The most expensive iComfort we sell is roughly 2.5k, so I have no idea what you were looking at there.

Purple seems to be the best bed in a box product, as far as I can tell. Lots of the foams in other biab products seem to be underwhelming in the price/performance department.

Most decent foam products will include some type of active cooling properties (i.e., phase change material), so that is not at all unique to Serta iComforts.

I always feel awkward making many posts in the thread (given that I work for one of those big bed companies), because I'm not going to shill out, but I'm always lurking to answer questions that folks may have.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We're looking at buying a new mattress after our pillow-top became very uncomfortable after ~4 years. IKEA is the most practical retail location, assuming places like Walmart don't have good mattresses. My partner complains of sore hips and shoulders, as well as waking up when I stir, so I guess we're looking for something plush? What are some good IKEA models, King size, that could help us with that?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Synastren posted:

Where the gently caress are you shopping that you're finding iComforts for that price? Those have very specific guidelines from Serta for pricing purposes. The most expensive iComfort we sell is roughly 2.5k, so I have no idea what you were looking at there.

Younkers. The outlet in my area is being closed, so I thought I'd check out their "everything-must-go" inventory-clearing sale (which translated to 10% off :jerkbag:). Everything in their furniture gallery was still very expensive compared to other furniture shops I've been looking at.

I may have been looking at the pricing label for the wrong mattress or something. All the mattresses they were selling, though, were well clear of the $2000 mark.

Synastren posted:

I always feel awkward making many posts in the thread (given that I work for one of those big bed companies), because I'm not going to shill out, but I'm always lurking to answer questions that folks may have.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's nice being able to access industry knowledge. And from everything I've read and seen this market comprises of millions of people so it's not like you're tipping the scales too heavily any one way (or are even able to).

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My wife ordered a purple but didn't like it very much. It's still basically a foam mattress and has the same "feels cool when you try it out for a few minutes but you feel like poo poo after a full night" thing a lot of them do. She put a soft topper on and it's fine now but there's not much point in having the special rubber poo poo if you're gonna do that. She's less than 120 lbs which apparently is not recommended.

My fat goon rear end meanwhile thought it was fine but not anything special.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

After spending the entire loving weekend reading up on mattresses I decided to go with the Purple mattress (got the 3" layer on their new version). The grid system means better air circulation and significantly less heat retained... right?

It all seems very goofy and I'm not convinced it'll work out but I suppose that's what the trial period is for. At least now I should have something to sleep on when I move into my new place that won't be "the floor".
My fat, hot-sleeping rear end is definitely interested in how this goes for you.

P-Mack posted:

My wife ordered a purple but didn't like it very much. It's still basically a foam mattress and has the same "feels cool when you try it out for a few minutes but you feel like poo poo after a full night" thing a lot of them do. She put a soft topper on and it's fine now but there's not much point in having the special rubber poo poo if you're gonna do that. She's less than 120 lbs which apparently is not recommended.

My fat goon rear end meanwhile thought it was fine but not anything special.
You didn't find it any more breathable than a spring mattress before the topper?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

My fat, hot-sleeping rear end is definitely interested in how this goes for you.

You didn't find it any more breathable than a spring mattress before the topper?

Not really, but I never really had a breathability concerns with regular mattresses so it wasn't even on my radar.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I ordered the new Mint Tuft and Needle mattress which looks decent, I will let you all know if it works out.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Quick 9mo review of a Sealy we bought: Sealy Posturepedic Proback Firm King (I forget the exact model name, but it changes on a monthly basis it seems). Like a $1k :canada: with all the extras (box/frame). Higher end of the medium level mattresses from what I could tell (Synastren can probably give more details). Pocket coil with a thinner foam/latex layer than others.

I'm a side sleeper, that sleeps warm.

Old mattress was a softer one with a thicker foam/latex that you sink into. Started getting that morning aches due to lack of support, also very warm.

Initial impression: A bit more firm than I'm used to, but the body support was A1+. Didn't realize how good pocket coil is for reducing movement. Sleeps cooler since it's not enveloping me in foam. Solid 8 hours every night.

9mo: Foam layer isn't holding up IMHO as well as it should (compresses faster), but springs are fine (no sagging). Basically a thick mattress topper will solve this (kind of expected it, and that's why we got a firmer model - easy to add, hard to remove padding).

Sex: Way better than old mattress. Firmness is good. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

How do y'all feel about Saatva?