Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

I searched the article for mentions of the UFC, didn't find any. Did you mean to post this in the D&D forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Nah just a love of Frank Dux and Bloodsport

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I searched the article for mentions of the UFC, didn't find any. Did you mean to post this in the D&D forum?

Bloodsport is like the book of Genesis of MMA.

In the beginning, Frank Dux created the Ring and the Cage
And the combat area was without form and void;
And dorkness was on the face of the arts.
And Frank said "let there be fight: and there was fight.
And Frank saw the fight, that it was good: and Frank divided the fight from the dorkness.
And Frank said, Let there be a film about my kumite, and let me be played by a Belgian dancer who claims to be an American kickboxer: and it was so.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I thought Ross Pearson was retiring after his last fight? Or maybe I was just hoping.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He probably should. I remember him being knocked out/rocked hard the past few fights.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

there was blurry rear end footage of JCVD head kicking Cody Garbrandt that came out this week

mewse
May 2, 2006

Donald Trump is literally me when I'm shitfaced

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i think rockhold is gonna beat whitaker for some reason

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

handsome only face posted:

there was blurry rear end footage of JCVD head kicking Cody Garbrandt that came out this week

post it please!!!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkH5OS6cDg
not as blurry as the one i saw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"Almost KO" is the biggest stretch I have seen since Zombie's Twister on Leonard Garcia

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

handsome only face posted:

Jean-Claude Van Damme has been having people accuse him of not being able to control his kicks since the 80s. He was sued by two actors from "No Retreat No Surrender" for being dangerous to work with.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

Jean-Claude Van Damme has been having people accuse him of not being able to control his kicks since the 80s. He was sued by two actors from "No Retreat No Surrender" for being dangerous to work with.

I always thought that was one of those soft news stories they used to talk about how hardcore the fight scenes were. In fact, I think there was a whole 'he shoots in hong kong because his fight scenes are too crazy to be shot anywhere else' or something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was just browsing a list of year-end facts and saw this one:

mmajunkie.com/2018/01/ufc-in-2017-ridiculously-robust-look-stats-streaks-skids-record-setters

quote:

Jedrzejczyk’s 225 significant strikes landed against Andrade at UFC 211 are second most in a UFC fight behind Nate Diaz’s 238 significant strikes against Donald Cerrone at UFC 141.

The record-holder is a three-round fight :staredog:

Gonna rewatch that one now.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

CommonShore posted:

mmajunkie.com/2018/01/ufc-in-2017-ridiculously-robust-look-stats-streaks-skids-record-setters

With two more rounds, Diaz may have punched Cowboy once for every day of the year.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Snowman_McK posted:

I always thought that was one of those soft news stories they used to talk about how hardcore the fight scenes were. In fact, I think there was a whole 'he shoots in hong kong because his fight scenes are too crazy to be shot anywhere else' or something

Ask Cody's teeth I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Roncho posted:

With two more rounds, Diaz may have punched Cowboy once for every day of the year.

Cowboy is basically one of those rubber guy punching targets in this fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

Cowboy is basically one of those rubber guy punching targets in this fight.

"It's almost like a mitt session. He's hitting every time."

Cerrone is loving dead and round 1 just ended. He's already taken more punches in 5 minutes than most fighters take in 3.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Lol at Cody’s pronunciation. John Clod.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

N: Cyborg wants to build the WMMA 145 division.

cyborg posted:

I can continue giving fans super fights, however in order for this division to grow it is my responsibility to respect the work of all the women fighting at 145 pounds and give the top girls a chance at the title once they have earned it,.

V: The division has 3 fighters listed

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

"I have an obligation to fight the best 145ers in the world, like the 135er I just beat who was on a 1-fight win steak and 1-4 in her last 5"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let's not ignore Dana's responsibility in this, as he's the one who keeps telling these 135'ers to go get murdered by Cyborg at 145. They are both asswipes.

Megan Anderson should be the fight, she wants it, Cyborg's said she wants it (even if behind the scenes it might be different), so it should happen.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cyborg is ducking a 135er after spending years trying to get Rousey

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Let's not ignore Dana's responsibility in this, as he's the one who keeps telling these 135'ers to go get murdered by Cyborg at 145. They are both asswipes.

Megan Anderson should be the fight, she wants it, Cyborg's said she wants it (even if behind the scenes it might be different), so it should happen.

Lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/7/16839656/mma-fightings-2017-breakthrough-fighter-of-the-year-francis-ngannou

Barely anyone on MMA Fighting rated Brutal Bob Jr.* Whittaker as breakout fighter of the year, which is kinda odd considering he ended the year as undisputed MW champion. It's not like he's had a meteoric rise like Ngannou, he's just quietly kicked the poo poo out of people to get there so I guess he might not really count but seems a bit harsh on him.

*actually bigger than Sr.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I still barely know who Whittaker is tbh and I watch drat near everything

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gay Horney posted:

He won TUF smashes (aus vs UK) which is how I know him. I have since stopped watching tuf.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I know him for his awesome and competitive fight with Yoel Romero and also a bunch of cool knockouts before that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/7/16839656/mma-fightings-2017-breakthrough-fighter-of-the-year-francis-ngannou

Barely anyone on MMA Fighting rated Brutal Bob Jr.* Whittaker as breakout fighter of the year, which is kinda odd considering he ended the year as undisputed MW champion. It's not like he's had a meteoric rise like Ngannou, he's just quietly kicked the poo poo out of people to get there so I guess he might not really count but seems a bit harsh on him.

*actually bigger than Sr.

Well he knocked out Jacare then comfortably beat Yoel Romero on one leg. That's pretty impressive imo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't remember my votes for the of the year poll here but I wanna say I put either him or Namajunas at #1. I'm an idiot if I forgot him too because he fuckin' owns.

I guess breakout fighter is more about huge surprises and impacts rather than sheer impressive performances? Why do I even care, actually? Who knows?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I voted for Volkan because nobody knows who he is. Bobby, Frankie N, and Volkan were my top 3.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

this happened to me a few months ago and I bought ufc fightpass to catch up with his ufc career. Its really worth it. He's a great fighter + his style is really uh new er up to date. really new feeling. its good.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Brown Paper Bag posted:

UFC 221 card...

:barf:

Terutos got a fight

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CommonShore posted:

I think I voted for Volkan because nobody knows who he is. Bobby, Frankie N, and Volkan were my top 3.

I think this was mine too - for me breakout fighter is going from zero to 100 and Bobby's been grinding away for years where Volkan is a collective figment of our imagination.

The first year we did these awards Chris Weidman won breakout with Khabib second by one point. The breakdown was Weidman was #1 on the ballot for people or wasn't on it at all depending on if you only include Weidman's Anderson year and ignore all his UFC fights before that.

If you didn't rate that as Weidman's breakout year then Khabib was clear #1 as that was his debut year where he killed everyone from out of nowhere (like Volkan).

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I don't think there has been a more impressive performance than managing to not get wrestlefucked by a olympic medalist and *not drug cheat* after blowing out your knee in the first round as an Australian because wrestling doesn't exist here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Byolante posted:

wrestling doesn't exist here.

we're so bad at wrestling

I was in high school when we won the 2000 olympics, and the government started throwing money at a bunch of sports that we traditionally weren't competitive in, as if ~5 years would have been enough time to be anywhere near countries that had been doing it forever. My school got funds for handball and wrestling. We hired a high school wrestling coach from America, and I did it for a couple of years but no one ever thought we'd get anything out of it. The teacher was like "you can't just take athletic 14-16 year olds and expect them to be able to wrestle with people of the same age who have been doing it since they were 6". It was fun, and I made the State championships (lost in the second round) but we were kidding ourselves. Literally any high school wrestler from the US who had been doing it their entire school life would have breezed through every single person in my division. I weighed 81kg at the time so I competed in the 85kg bracket, instead of not eating or drinking for half a day and going to the 80kg bracket.

I think the only thing Australia got out of that program was the tkd gold medal won by Lauren Burns - she had been doing it since she was a kid, and the funding allowed her to take a year off everything leading up to the games to focus on her training.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
We have ahhhh, rugby, and

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

Cricket

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

It's a great fight. It and Nate's fight with Michael Johnson are the textbook examples of Diaz hypnosis. As guys who probably could have beaten Nate stand there and get punched a lot.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Well he knocked out Jacare then comfortably beat Yoel Romero on one leg. That's pretty impressive imo.

It was amazing how amateurish he made Jacare look. Jacare is a loving monster, and Bob beat him even easier than he did Clint Hester.

Memento posted:

we're so bad at wrestling

I was in high school when we won the 2000 olympics, and the government started throwing money at a bunch of sports that we traditionally weren't competitive in, as if ~5 years would have been enough time to be anywhere near countries that had been doing it forever. My school got funds for handball and wrestling. We hired a high school wrestling coach from America, and I did it for a couple of years but no one ever thought we'd get anything out of it. The teacher was like "you can't just take athletic 14-16 year olds and expect them to be able to wrestle with people of the same age who have been doing it since they were 6". It was fun, and I made the State championships (lost in the second round) but we were kidding ourselves. Literally any high school wrestler from the US who had been doing it their entire school life would have breezed through every single person in my division. I weighed 81kg at the time so I competed in the 85kg bracket, instead of not eating or drinking for half a day and going to the 80kg bracket.

I think the only thing Australia got out of that program was the tkd gold medal won by Lauren Burns - she had been doing it since she was a kid, and the funding allowed her to take a year off everything leading up to the games to focus on her training.
There's a guy who trains around Canberra called Dennis. He won a few medals at the Commonwealth games for what that's worth. He's also a man-mountain. I'm kind of big and I was like a child next to him. Apparently he was training at AKA for a while, and confirmed for us that Josh Koscheck is a dick.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Whenever I need to explain Australia to people, I tell them that our greatest sporting rival is a country an eighth our size. And we usually lose.

I looked up the bledisloe cup, and the New Zealanders have won it 45 times, Australia 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SquirrelGrip posted:

Swimming, duh.

• Locked thread