Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fly Molo posted:

Both, really. When you play, get stomped in the balls for an hour, and get nothing, it's loving bullshit (maybe 7 tokens if you get enough kills, or 7 more if you win a few rounds? So 2/3 of one reward... if you win). It's no surprise the player base is tiny and eroding. It really needs skill-based matchmaking, some rewards for losing (2 tokens and a blue?), and an in-game matchmaking component. Maybe put them in newbie trials or something.

This is coming from someone who wins often, has all the season 2 guns, and enjoys it a lot. There's just no reason for your average player to participate, and it's just not built for high-level skilled play. The high TTK, low damage tick rate (leading to endless kill-trading), and loving P2P game hosting make it a lag/bullshit nightmare.

I'm the filthy casual who thinks me and another hunter killing eachother with Golden Gun at the same time is hilarious in quickplay modes.

See also, Morrigan-D coming into it's own as suicidal last stand guaranteed missile to the dick kill against Nova Bomb spammers.

But I can see that being frustrating to people wanting something more resembling the counter strike it's comp playlist game modes are not really emulating properly. Not enough fun for actual "Casual shooter" with the literally two minute cooldowns unless you are running some form of gimmick to try and work around that. Not tight enough for chasing that "We're a comp shooter too!" dream, while proudly calling out reddit posters over how they didn't fix their bugs but put their buggy gun up on Xur.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

oh also i just checked and it looks like it's a thing that needs a premade so that too

Trials is a high end experience. It takes much less time than doing a raid. But you still need a premade, but can be people from a chat or a LFG site.

Good trials, like in Destiny 1 where supertense, forcing placers to become "their better self". A unique experience that everyone should experience.

Just not Trials is not very inviting or fun, because reasons, but that may change in the future.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cowcaster posted:

honestly i've never tried trials mostly because it seems like the time investment to do a best out of 9 rounds would be a pain in the rear end
Your card won't start until your first win, and it ends when you get three losses. Any losses before your first win are wasted time, since losing a Tot9 match gets you basically nothing. Once you have your first win, you play until you have three losses, so if you go 1-3, its only four matches. A flawless record is 7-0, and there are payouts for every odd number of matches won.

Trials is blisteringly unfun if you aren't way above the curve in PvP, and the negligible rewards for a loss makes me expect that below average players will (continue to) gradually stop playing, raising the bar to entry and draining the Trials player pool.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo, we have need for a few warm bodies for a Prestige Raid clear at 6:00 PM EST 1/06/18. Were all sick of the Acrius item in our heavy weapon slot, come be a bro and join us in the Dogscord (https://discord.gg/7B9nvm)

We are all gonna have to relearn fights anyway, so as long as your 300+ light level this should be fine.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 6, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo, we have need for a few warm bodies for a Prestige Raid clear at 6:00 PM EST 1/06/18. Were all sick of the Acrius item in our heavy weapon slot, come be a bro and join us in the Dogscord (https://discord.gg/7B9nvm)
Is the prestige raid just the normal raid but +30LL?
e: No

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Elysiume posted:

as someone who just finished it, it's not worth it

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Xarbala posted:

Also picked up a hard light out of nowhere.

Hard light with a recoil mod is very viable in PVP with hipfire, people trash on it more than it deserves imo. I really wish I'd been able to get the ornament for it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Glans Dillzig posted:

as someone who just finished it, it's not worth it

but we did it!!

much easier after we relaunched to clear spawn and network glitches

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xur gave me Sweet Business and Zavala gave me a 160 speed instant summon sparrow. A Dawning miracle!

Gunsmith gave me the same ship I've gotten and sharded twice before because it looks dumb as hell.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kesper North posted:

Hard light with a recoil mod is very viable in PVP with hipfire, people trash on it more than it deserves imo. I really wish I'd been able to get the ornament for it.

Hard light is cool and good, The main thing to watch for is if you love seeing strings of yellow numbers or not at farther ranges. Taking the "But it has no damage falloff!" for granted means you can end up drawing a cartoonish bullet hole outline around your enemies.

Or at least, the more skinny enemies. It's an interesting experience bringing Hard Light to say, Arms dealer "Aw yeah, filling fat legion full of lasers no problem from across the map! Now to kill those psions and fallen sniper drones taking potshots at me... I said. Now to... Hold on, this time for sure."

PvP meanwhile is chock full of hallways and doorways to actually take advantage of the bouncy ammo more often. I think one goon managed some sick bounce shots off the ceiling to kill a titan hiding behind their shield wall.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 7, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffle House posted:

They fortunately knocked it down to 7 wins from Destiny 1's 9 wins, so you don't need to go that hard. And you only need one win to chill in the social space, instead of a flawless card

Trials of the Nine Seven

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Section Z posted:

PvP meanwhile is chock full of hallways and doorways to actually take advantage of the bouncy ammo more often. I think one goon managed some sick bounce shots off the ceiling to kill a titan hiding behind their shield wall.

It remains the single coolest thing I've done in Crucible to date. :allears:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

amazing. Someone lossed.

guess you can get a masterwork out of Cayde chests :thunk:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 7, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Apart from the enemies just being straight up hard, each fight has tweaks to make it more annoying/difficult. I'm probably missing some, but off the top of my head:

Baths - after a centre phase, the game forces a team scramble by assigning a specific player to each plate. bathers drop a field that strips your buff

Gardens - two more dogs, plus more aggressive pathing

Gauntlet - everybody must run the gauntlet once. on the final all-run phase there are only three balls instead of four. a projection (which must be shot) spawns together with the punch baby

Calus - when you punch a baby in the throne room, you swap out with one of the players in the dreamscape

Finally, when you die in prestige mode you lose your revive token for that fight.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kessel posted:

Gauntlet - everybody must run the gauntlet once. on the final all-run phase there are only three balls instead of four. a projection (which must be shot) spawns together with the punch baby

On our prestige run today, we actually had all 6 players finish running the gauntlet and dunk in the final phase (where everyone runs). I've never been on a crew that did that in regular gauntlet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
glad to see a return of an old d1 favorite - a team of solos against a team of 2 2-stacks

good poo poo blorngo

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Hmm, weird. These two identical shader stacks haven't stacked.

Okay, well maybe if I juggle it into my vault and out agai-

:thunk:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Waffle House posted:

Hmm, weird. These two identical shader stacks haven't stacked.

Okay, well maybe if I juggle it into my vault and out agai-

:thunk:

this isnt news, people have been talking about it since day one of the dawning, its because shaders you get out of your freebie dawning gifts dismantle into shards instead of bright dust

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angry Walrus posted:

this isnt news, people have been talking about it since day one of the dawning, its because shaders you get out of your freebie dawning gifts dismantle into shards instead of bright dust

Just as awkward though considering you can't tell which is which.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I must be slow on the news, but it's still pretty rad.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
love too have my tiny shader inventory lose even more slots because bungie doesnt want people getting too many shaders for free that they could dismantle for 5 dust

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Angry Walrus posted:

love too have my tiny shader inventory lose even more slots because bungie doesnt want people getting too many shaders for free that they could dismantle for 5 dust

excuse me it's seven dust okay

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kessel posted:

excuse me it's seven dust okay

https://youtu.be/hy17DWrjNT0

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there the equivalent of town portal in this game? I'm still on the free trial and Diablo-Halo is kind of fun but I'm still on the fence. The SP missions seem very linear, but at the same time there's no quick way to see a map without the long transition to the Director thing. I think D2 and D3s interfaces spoiled me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trip Report: I got my goon pal Archtype and he and I PUGged 4 dudes from LFG and we cleared the Prestige Raid in 3 hours on the nose start to finish, running underbelly.

Baths is the only one that’s substantially more difficult as the trash mobs can easily overwhelm you solo. Your teammates have to help you with bathers and you can’t ignore trash.

We spent like 45 minutes on baths and only need 2-3 attempts on Gauntlet and probably only 3-4 attempts on Dogs. Once you figure out your routes that fight plays the same.

We used PMChem’s suggestion of the ported guy always going mid in Callus and that worked super well.

So now that I understand the Prestige mechanics I can definitely lead more goons through, it really wasn’t as much of a hassle as some people made it out to be. I know my normal raid team could do it in 2 hours easy.

I’ll say it was worth it, especially considering 3 hours was including only one of us having ever done it before and besides me & Arch (or Spacebandito sniping he final boss for the clear!) we had never played together before.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

Is there the equivalent of town portal in this game? I'm still on the free trial and Diablo-Halo is kind of fun but I'm still on the fence. The SP missions seem very linear, but at the same time there's no quick way to see a map without the long transition to the Director thing. I think D2 and D3s interfaces spoiled me.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you can press M to go directly to the map.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Walrus posted:

this isnt news, people have been talking about it since day one of the dawning, its because shaders you get out of your freebie dawning gifts dismantle into nothing at all

FTFY.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Junkenstein posted:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but you can press M to go directly to the map.

Are there multiple way points per location? E.g. Do I always land next to the cathedral on Earth?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Are there multiple way points per location? E.g. Do I always land next to the cathedral on Earth?

In the trial, no. All the other parts of Earth are higher level than you.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Hey I guess this answers the question on trials matchmaking

quote:

The current trails/crucible system that matches based on location is easily exploitable using a VPN.

Basically, by sharing a VPN, clan members are able to consistently match with their own if their group is big enough. I know because my own clan members invited me to join them to cheese flawless wins (also why I'm using a smurf account).

https://imgur.com/a/7YqYk

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also: looks like private matches are BACK!!!!

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Ahhahah a hoooooly poo poo

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

thia was also possible in d1, fyi

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't understand what i'm looking at. they got matched against an empty team? or the team ragequit giving them a flawless victory?

edit: i should read the post and not just look at the picture

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
I think my major problem with Eververse isn't so much the fact it even exists, but the fact that it's not really "funded" anything... particularly new?

Like, in Destiny 1 they used Eververse as the reason that SRL was a thing (even though it was probably made like, at the same time as the rest of the stuff in TTK). But other than that, everything else has just been like... reskins and bringing back old content? Which is good and all, but I think there'd be far less animosity towards it all if they ever added new content that wasn't just repackaging content that came in either the base game or DLC of some sort.

There are other issues with Destiny 2 other than the fact microtransactions exist, but it does feel like microtransactions exists just to fund more microtransactions currently. Put some of that money towards like, making a event-specific strike or something for gently caress's sake Bungie.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

lol if you think MTX money is going anywhere other than to ActiBlizz shareholders.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

TVsVeryOwn posted:

lol if you think MTX money is going anywhere other than to ActiBlizz shareholders.

Uh you mean Bungie shareholders or members or whatever

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jetamo posted:

Like, in Destiny 1 they used Eververse as the reason that SRL was a thing (even though it was probably made like, at the same time as the rest of the stuff in TTK).

SRL was made by a single employee as part of some inner-office brainstorm weekend thing, completely not serious. They liked it tho and, once an idea was formed to actually do something with it, they just polished it up and released. It wasn't some plan from on high developed by a team lol

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

cvnvcnv posted:

SRL was made by a single employee as part of some inner-office brainstorm weekend thing, completely not serious. They liked it tho and, once an idea was formed to actually do something with it, they just polished it up and released. It wasn't some plan from on high developed by a team lol

Fair enough, I didn't know that. Still, my point remains that I'd like to see them do more than just remix/rerelease old content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Perhaps they should let passion projects be a part of the game development again.

It beats brainstorming how to suck all the fun out of the game. I can't even think of an iconic weapon in D2 right now, yet the first one had Thorn, Gjallarhorn, Mythoclast, Fatebringer, Hawkmoon, Icebreaker, Black Hammer etc etc etc... the game just doesn't generate conversation and excitement like the first one did, for all the faults it had.

• Locked thread