Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

If Wario is the evil one, then it stands to reason that Wally/Waldo is evil and Maldo/Mally is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the wa in wario stands for waru which means something like "bad" in japanese

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Elfgames posted:

the wa in wario stands for waru which means something like "bad" in japanese

Pretty sure they just flipped the M to make Wario. The pun came later when they made Waluigi. Wal(/r)ui means bad in Japanese.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

Pretty sure they just flipped the M to make Wario. The pun came later when they made Waluigi. Wal(/r)ui means bad in Japanese.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Blackchamber posted:

He has stated before, and I'm sure several times, that he is like a smart person. Not valley girl 'like' but that he and smart people have a lot in common 'like'. He's also smart related because at one point when he was explaining why hes 'like a smart person' he said his dad graduated from MIT or something, and we all know that college degrees are passed down as an inheritance.

Actually, degrees are passed down genetically. As far as he knows, at least.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The upside of that is that you can get high school graduate cum for a fraction of the price, and it tastes the same.

This is excellent, Mr. Goodbody. I am pleased with your redemption.

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Killed By Death posted:

Wally is the original name and used everywhere but the US and Canada. However, that character's name is still Odlaw everywhere :shrug:

Not in Germany.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

... Malter?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Krankenstyle posted:

has anyone actually seen trump since he was on multiple tvs at his own press conference?

I think you'll find that's not all he put on those TVs.

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/949035084992180225

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

PaulBearer posted:

Not in Germany.

https://youtu.be/J2M0EP1lRmk

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PaulBearer posted:

Not in Germany.

:sweden:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWh6PMi9Ek

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
-Where's Waldo?
-Here
-Here
-There
-Here too

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Prepare to have your minds blown.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It seems that other countries either change the name to be alliterative with "why" or just don't translate:

Except France has to gently caress it up for everyone.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sorry to dredge this back up, but the phrase "100% Australian Meat" is very concerning. Maybe it's because I'm just so used to everything being sold in America as food has to specify somewhere what it actually is, but something that is simply labeled as "meat" is just vague enough to bother me. Is this horse as Chunks indicated? Or is it ground up Aussies as the box seems to state?

Dead horse = tomato sauce
And it's not horses, its just pork/beef sausage meet in a pastry wrap. The meat pies however.....there were reports of camel meat found in those.

ChunksNensja has a new favorite as of 12:44 on Jan 7, 2018

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

Captain Splendid posted:

It seems that other countries either change the name to be alliterative with "why" or just don't translate

And some change it to a similar name that sounds more natural to their language :norway:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
*runs in, breathless*

When I was seven we got a puppy for Christmas. It was a golden retriever/Samoyed cross, so my sister rightly wanted to name him Falco after the white dragon from The Never Ending Story. It was a perfect name. I won the coin toss to name the puppy though. I named him Waldo, after the books I had been into for a few months.

Little kids are dumb as hell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Railing Kill posted:

*runs in, breathless*

When I was seven we got a puppy for Christmas. It was a golden retriever/Samoyed cross, so my sister rightly wanted to name him Falco after the white dragon from The Never Ending Story. It was a perfect name. I won the coin toss to name the puppy though. I named him Waldo, after the books I had been into for a few months.

That was Falkor. Falco is the bird guy from Star Fox.

:goonsay:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also the guy who made Rock Me Amadeus, a fine choice.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

All this Where's Wally? chat reminded me of the TV show of it that I used to watch as a kid. The theme song hasn't held up and it's hilariously bad/cheesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr767KfRK3o

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Bloop posted:

The luck dragon's name in the original German is "Fuchur" which for reasons obvious when spoken aloud was changed for the movie.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phlegmish posted:

Also the guy who made Rock Me Amadeus, a fine choice.

Also a pretty sweet motorcycle

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Hey, why’d you take my glasses? What are you doing? Kramer, don’t pull that lever! Kramer! You’re a van Buren boy, remember? Kraaaammmmerrrrr

twoday has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jan 7, 2018

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

The Bloop posted:

Sounds right. I haven't seen TNS in 25 years, so yeah.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Spudd posted:

All this Where's Wally? chat reminded me of the TV show of it that I used to watch as a kid. The theme song hasn't held up and it's hilariously bad/cheesy.

It always creeped me out how Wally just hosed off every 5 minutes

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Spudd posted:

I thought I was having some weird fever dream when I saw this on tv that one time as a kid. The only thing I remember about it was a short clip where the bad Waldo parachuted into a pit with crocodiles or something, that dude was pretty boned

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ChunksNensja posted:

Dead horse = tomato sauce
And it's not horses, its just pork/beef sausage meet in a pastry wrap. The meat pies however.....there were reports of camel meat found in those.

If you can think of an easier way to solve the feral camel problem, you just let them know.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you can think of an easier way to solve the feral camel problem, you just let them know.

This surfaced a few years ago when the UK had its horsemeat scandal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO05OUjsJgs

The IKEA chocolate cake came out worse though: :itwaspoo:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spudd posted:

Holy poo poo, that's where the awful NES game's theme song came from?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4QJungpOyo&t=5s

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The Greatest American Author I'll Never Actually Read is finally getting his proper honoring.
The President as a Shrieking Pile of Void Crabs; or, The Cosmically Horrific Satire of Dr. Chuck Tingle

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Railing Kill posted:

*runs in, breathless*

Terrible name for a dog just because it might go missing and then you'd have to put up posters that wouldn't be taken seriously.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pets should not have people names. :colbert:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sorry your parents named you Scrappy Doo

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

Toby disagrees.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Picnic Princess posted:

Toby disagrees.

His name is Kunta Kentae.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing will ever be funnier to me than the time I saw a guy yelling at his barking dog: "Richard! Stop it!"

The loving dog's name was Richard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Toby disagrees.

His name is Toby, he doesn't have any say in this at all. Now if his name was Mister Freckle Face, then I'd hear him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Nothing will ever be funnier to me than the time I saw a guy yelling at his barking dog: "Richard! Stop it!"

The loving dog's name was Richard.

"FENTON! OH JESUS CHRIST, FENTOOOOON!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

Fenton enjoyed himself.