Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

God the gacha system sucks so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I can only imagine how much different the game is for people who pull KOS-MOS. Especially if they pull her early in the game since she's a light element damage monster that can heal your party with her specials.

brand engager posted:

God the gacha system sucks so much

Yeah :sigh:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Chapter 9 spoilers

Sorry, video game, no amount of sepia-tone flashbacks as a member of Torna is killed by not-me is gonna make me feel bad for them. I know you guys were sad or whatever but you also killed thousands if not tens of thousands of people and that's a little much to ask me to look past. If anything, I'm upset that I was never actually the one who got to defeat any of them.

But for real, how is the game gonna try and pull the sibling thing with Akhos and Petro when those two have never spoken to each other in the game before, and especially after they set up the whole thing with Mik and Petro. I literally think it came down to the fact that they realized Akhos was the most unlikable of the group and the most actively antagonistic and they needed some hook to make you feel bad when he died.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Grinded more rare crystals, pulled Finch and...

I'm probably going to be disappointed when I actually use her but drat it I am excited anyway!! She's good on Zeke, right? I think I'm gonna move her to Zeke and Ursula to Nia then just finish the drat story before I do more questing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Chapter 9:Yeah, and I don't know if it's just me, but they both looked like they were from a different game. Like, their faces looked like they were in a different style. Mikhail was similar in this regard.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can only imagine how much different the game is for people who pull KOS-MOS. Especially if they pull her early in the game since she's a light element damage monster that can heal your party with her specials.

I'm almost positive there's some behind-the-scenes mechanics to how gacha rolls work. From what I'm seeing, a lot of people are getting Perun and Adenine very early in the game, meanwhile tons of people can't seem to get a KOSMOS. I have loving bananas gacha luck in every game I play so there's only 7 rare blades I don't have yet, and I haven't done any intentional core farming either. I'm still sitting on 50 common cores and 50 rare cores, so I haven't been annoyed at all with the system but I can imagine it would suck to be stuck with generic blades because either you just cant pull a rare one, or the one you do pull is a healer on Zeke or something like that. If NG+ lets you keep your rare blades that would be really cool, even though I'm not sure I could bring myself to do a second playthrough I do think it would be fun to be able to give all the blades a try

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Momomo posted:

Chapter 9:Yeah, and I don't know if it's just me, but they both looked like they were from a different game. Like, their faces looked like they were in a different style. Mikhail was similar in this regard.

Nomura designed all of Torna, including Malos, so this isn't so weird.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm almost positive there's some behind-the-scenes mechanics to how gacha rolls work. From what I'm seeing, a lot of people are getting Perun and Adenine very early in the game, meanwhile tons of people can't seem to get a KOSMOS. I have loving bananas gacha luck in every game I play so there's only 7 rare blades I don't have yet, and I haven't done any intentional core farming either. I'm still sitting on 50 common cores and 50 rare cores, so I haven't been annoyed at all with the system but I can imagine it would suck to be stuck with generic blades because either you just cant pull a rare one, or the one you do pull is a healer on Zeke or something like that. If NG+ lets you keep your rare blades that would be really cool, even though I'm not sure I could bring myself to do a second playthrough I do think it would be fun to be able to give all the blades a try

Perun was my first rare blade pull, so yeah this wouldn't surprise me. The gatcha system is disappointing for sure, especially when you pull a good blade late in the game and have to jump through a bunch of bullshit hoops or send it off on a bunch of merc missions to fill out the affinity chart.

One nice thing is that Zeke has a lot of ATK quest blades he can use in Wulfric, Praxis, Sheba, and Herald. Meanwhile, Nia only gets one HLR and Morag only gets two TNK blades (and only one evasion-based).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Perun was my first rare blade pull, so yeah this wouldn't surprise me. The gatcha system is disappointing for sure, especially when you pull a good blade late in the game and have to jump through a bunch of bullshit hoops or send it off on a bunch of merc missions to fill out the affinity chart.

One nice thing is that Zeke has a lot of ATK quest blades he can use in Wulfric, Praxis, Sheba, and Herald. Meanwhile, Nia only gets one HLR and Morag only gets two TNK blades (and only one evasion-based).

Meanwhile I've seen at least three people in this thread claiming Cosmos was their very first rare blade

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kosmos was my second or third rare blade but I don't really know how much "easier" she makes the game because I liked Adenine more (and since it was chapter 2 I could only equip two blades and one was Pyra) and never used her.

The three blades I still need are Newt, Dahlia, and Zenobia.

Supposedly some blades are meant to be rarer than others but I think that's just confirmation bias.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
None of the blades make the game game-breaking easier, depending on their affinity charts. And the sidequest/story blades along with good 3 star blades are more than strong enough to easily beat the game anyways.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm in post game and despite opening 30+ fully boostered legendary cores I still need Dahlia, Zenobia, and Kos-Mos.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Stopped when I beat the game and didn't really do any post game stuff. Last two I needed from gacha were Newt and Vale.

My first rare blades were Azami (Rex), Kosmos (Rex), and then Ursula (Nia).

I think the last blade I unlocked was Perun. Before that was Dahlia and Zenobia?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, I was thinking - how does anyone on Alrest even know about (sorta vague-ish setting spoilers) the Architect (like, just as a vague concept)? How did that myth even start? It never really mentioned anyone going inside the world tree prior to Amalthus, and it never said anything about Klaus doing any direct interference (at least after intelligent life re-evolved) that would have started that myth.

Silver Falcon posted:

Sup fellow non-Zenobia haver! I got yet another rare Blade in my quest for her: Agate! She's cute anyway...

I've been shoving all the wind-Boosters I've gotten my hands on down Zeke's throat and she still hasn't shown up. Bah. I want to see what the fuss is about!

Regarding Boosters, folks mentioned a way to get more is through Salvaging. What's the method for that, exactly? My usual Salvaging spot, the Mor Ardain docks, didn't get my any Boosters. Is there a particular kind of Cylinder or whatever that gives Boosters?

I'm not convinced boosters increase the chance of getting blades of a particular element. I'm 100% sure that your idea levels influence the star rating of the commons you pull of their respective elements, though. I mentioned this before, but my Five has idea levels of 10+ in every idea, and virtually never pulls commons less than 3 stars, while my other party members, who only have ideas of level ~5 usually pull 2 star commons on average. The difference is extremely obvious, which is why I feel confident saying it definitely affects that.

When you think about it, boosters increasing the chance of getting blades of their elements doesn't really make sense, because ideas are capped at level 15 and theoretically the higher your ideas, the less impact boosters would have on your chance to pull blades of those elements (I mentioned this before, but having idea levels of 5/1/1/1 would give more "relative" chance of the first idea's elements than 15/10/10/10, if they actually worked that way, which I don't think they do). If you maxed out your idea scores, it would be impossible to increase the chance of getting blades of a particular idea's elements (again, if they actually worked that way).

edit: The only interpretation where boosters give you a higher chance of getting rares is one where, in addition to increasing average common star rating, they also increase the chance of getting rare blades (which would theoretically count as just 5*). I haven't noticed an improved drop rate of rares as my idea levels got higher, though, and if this were the case I feel like rare blades would be a LOT rarer early in the game when you have really low idea levels (since they would basically be the equivalent of getting a >4* common in this scenario).

Do you only get 4* generics from legendary cores? I've opened probably 100 rare cores and never seen higher than a 3*

As mentioned above, it's related to idea scores. I've gotten three 4* in the last ~30 rare cores on my Five who have 10/11 idea scores for every idea, after only getting 1 with all prior cores. If your idea scores are low, you're going to have a really tough time getting 4* commons.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 7, 2018

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Arrgh. My game seems to be broken; I had a crash after the Malos boss fight in Chapter 7 (before thinking to save, why does this game not auto save except to make blade spawning more annoying :bahgawd:).

Now some things just don't seem to work anymore:
- Can’t start Perun's affinity quest because Silas never shows up. (I had almost finished the quest before the crash.)
- Specials don't charge beyond level 1 in some (not all) fights. No idea what triggers that.
- Most suspiciously, the fast travel map no longer shows landmarks, and only works randomly (it sometimes refuses to let me warp to landmarks, for no discernible reason).

Any tips? I'm not going to go much further into the endgame with such a glitchy save, but it would suck to have to restart. :bang:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tae posted:

Boosters are from trading in the items. Do you not notice occasional "can't carry any more" when you're getting thousands of monies?

I find having to throw out/use the boosters when I'm handing in my salvage the most annoying part of the process. Can I get something that lets me hold more than 5?
I've managed to get a shop thing that gives me +10 of all shop items which is handy as gently caress, surely that exists for boosters!

I also got the items around Vampire Blade Marion that let you "provide a cure for Cole" but right now Cole won't offer me a quest and nor will Iona. When do I have to wait to? I'm still in Chapter 8.

I'm also up to 20 legendary cores and 90 rare cores used on a luck 400 character for every legendary and still no rares pulled from it. All my rares have still come from commons. I know 400 isn't super high but...loving hell! I think I have 8 rare blades left too which is quite a lot.

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 7, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

I find having to throw out/use the boosters when I'm handing in my salvage the most annoying part of the process. Can I get something that lets me hold more than 5?
I've managed to get a shop thing that gives me +10 of all shop items which is handy as gently caress, surely that exists for boosters!

I'm also up to 20 legendary cores and 90 rare cores used on a luck 400 character for every legendary and still no rares pulled from it. All my rares have still come from commons. I know 400 isn't super high but...loving hell! I think I have 8 rare blades left too which is quite a lot.

There are at least two deeds that give you +10 capacity each for boosters. I don't remember which though, sorry.

Make sure to watch for blades that give + to luck stat when you equip them. In case you never noticed (because I'm not actually sure if the game tells you this) all blades raise the stat of a character by a percentage when you have them equipped, and it's cumulative. I have two +18% and one +17% luck on Zeke plus a +50 luck stat chip on two of them and have him at like 850 luck because of it. I pull 3* or higher blades like half the time on commons now with him, and never get below that on rares or legendaries.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was thinking - how does anyone on Alrest even know about (sorta vague-ish setting spoilers) the Architect (like, just as a vague concept)? How did that myth even start? It never really mentioned anyone going inside the world tree prior to Amalthus, and it never said anything about Klaus doing any direct interference (at least after intelligent life re-evolved) that would have started that myth.

I assumed Malos and Mythra probably introduced the concept to the populace, remember it has been a few hundred years since they first appeared. There was probably some vague idea of a creator deity living on top of the giant gently caress-off tree no one could climb because of the monster though, and once the Aegises appeared they sort of filled in the gaps since they had some basic knowledge of what was actually going on.

I mean ultimately imagining life came from the single solid piece of land in the world and having that spawn a creation myth seems pretty likely. Especially since it came with its own guardian to stop the curious which probably fed into the general narrative of a fall from grace.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

IcePhoenix posted:

There are at least two deeds that give you +10 capacity each for boosters. I don't remember which though, sorry.

Make sure to watch for blades that give + to luck stat when you equip them. In case you never noticed (because I'm not actually sure if the game tells you this) all blades raise the stat of a character by a percentage when you have them equipped, and it's cumulative. I have two +18% and one +17% luck on Zeke plus a +50 luck stat chip on two of them and have him at like 850 luck because of it. I pull 3* or higher blades like half the time on commons now with him, and never get below that on rares or legendaries.

I have a +luck weapon on one but I can't find any that increase my Luck. I do see my stats change but I don't really get why different blades change it.
There are LOADS of blades I have attached to Five and not one is a luck increaser.

quote:

I assumed Malos and Mythra probably introduced the concept to the populace, remember it has been a few hundred years since they first appeared. There was probably some vague idea of a creator deity living on top of the giant gently caress-off tree no one could climb because of the monster though, and once the Aegises appeared they sort of filled in the gaps since they had some basic knowledge of what was actually going on.

Ophion has only been there in the last 500 years, since the war. It wasn't there before. And all the older blades have total knowledge about (chapter 8 spoilers) the city at the bottom of the world tree.
The architect is also part of the creation myth, they say he gave the world titans and blades and there's that big painting in Indol about it that was painted "Before anyone knows" and that's coming from a guy who is 500.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have been having a lot more fun when I switched to controlling the tank in my party. Is there a downside to Smashing with the tank instead of an attacker though?

Also what's a good healer setup for Nia? I am using Elektra Dromarch Floren because they all ended up on her, but I have Ursula and Nim on other characters

IcePhoenix posted:

Mor Ardain one of the shops gives +10 boosters. Figured it out because I kept salvaging there

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 7, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

These late game side quests are terrible. One has me doing a merc mission first (always a good sign), then hunting for a doctor, who has me traipsing through deadly poison to find three plants, requiring between 6-10 of botany and focus each. The second part has me doing pretty much the same thing in a different area, plus once in a different area, except this one switches botany for mineralogy because "gently caress you dig through the menus again" I guess. (Plus another merc mission.) Finally I get these things to the doctor, who needs help to do whatever the quest is about...requiring a third damned merc mission. I'm only doing this one because it was the least irritating of the quests still available; one wants me to give 100 rare collectibles to a nopon in a snow field and I only have two of each.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ajkalan posted:

These late game side quests are terrible. One has me doing a merc mission first (always a good sign), then hunting for a doctor, who has me traipsing through deadly poison to find three plants, requiring between 6-10 of botany and focus each. The second part has me doing pretty much the same thing in a different area, plus once in a different area, except this one switches botany for mineralogy because "gently caress you dig through the menus again" I guess. (Plus another merc mission.) Finally I get these things to the doctor, who needs help to do whatever the quest is about...requiring a third damned merc mission. I'm only doing this one because it was the least irritating of the quests still available; one wants me to give 100 rare collectibles to a nopon in a snow field and I only have two of each.

Yeah I keep hearing it described as an "offline MMO" But I cannot think of an MMO that shits on your free time this blatantly in the quests, it's almost mobile game in nature

Like I kept expecting something to pop up saying "Pay 100 Gems to pass skill check?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I keep hearing it described as an "offline MMO" But I cannot think of an MMO that shits on your free time this blatantly in the quests, it's almost mobile game in nature

Let me tell you about the second half of Final Fantasy 14 where you go through an entire island to get a pot, and then the guy goes "lol wrong pot, talk to someone else for the real quest"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Somebody sell me on having Ursula on Nia. I've been preferentially giving her Bitball healers because they have that nice full-party heal in addition to the potion-spawning skill. Ursula, and other claw healers, don't seem to have the full-party heal on anyone. What am I missing? For reference my Ursula has all but the outermost ring of her affinity unlocked.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Is there a person we can directly deride, for whoever decided to leave Myrmidon Eugene where he was? It's not even that he has launchers that will fling your rear end over the edge of the narrow catwalk you have to fight him on; your own stupid loving AI party members will just walk off the god drat edge on their own because they're fuckin stupid. You can't lure him to a safer place to fight because either he'll de-aggro and vanish back to his spawn point before you get there, or your own dumbfuck AI will keep falling off the edge and killing themselves. Or, a lv. 84 pterodactyl patrolling the area will aggro on you.
"Come back when you can fight the pterodactyl" seems like a poor notion, considering Eugene is 33, and would no longer have any progression benefits to fight apart from ticking a check off a list.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
If you need to kill him for an affinity unlock, just push him off the edge right back. You won't get his drops but it's not like you'll be missing much. Kit out a party with some blowdown skills / specials and send him flying.

Silver Falcon posted:

Somebody sell me on having Ursula on Nia. I've been preferentially giving her Bitball healers because they have that nice full-party heal in addition to the potion-spawning skill. Ursula, and other claw healers, don't seem to have the full-party heal on anyone. What am I missing? For reference my Ursula has all but the outermost ring of her affinity unlocked.

If you don't mind the change in class, Ursula seems to fit better on Rex or Zeke as a supplemental healer.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 7, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you were to look at my post history in this thread you would find a very similar post or series of posts. He's possibly the worst placement in the game. I eventually beat him because his dumb rear end walked off the edge all by his own drat self. Just as well, because on a platform like that most of the loot would've fallen off anyway.

A way to cheese him a bit is to use an ether cannon or bitball on the character you control; his counter moves (which are the ones that inflict blowdown) don't affect you if you attack from a distance.

E: I am this close to buying the DLC basically just for the five overdrives (and uhh, hopefully the rest of the stuff is good too whenever that happens)

send help

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 7, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Silver Falcon posted:

Max affinity gives your whole team an HP barrier

Lv 2 special heals the whole party

I think she has another full party heal passive ability? I don't have my Switch with me.

Also she gets a launch art with fists, and a large AOE art that spawns HP potions. Good stuff.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah I was afraid of that, and I *did* want the drops. But, I want it behind me more, really.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

5er posted:

Is there a person we can directly deride, for whoever decided to leave Myrmidon Eugene where he was? It's not even that he has launchers that will fling your rear end over the edge of the narrow catwalk you have to fight him on; your own stupid loving AI party members will just walk off the god drat edge on their own because they're fuckin stupid. You can't lure him to a safer place to fight because either he'll de-aggro and vanish back to his spawn point before you get there, or your own dumbfuck AI will keep falling off the edge and killing themselves. Or, a lv. 84 pterodactyl patrolling the area will aggro on you.
"Come back when you can fight the pterodactyl" seems like a poor notion, considering Eugene is 33, and would no longer have any progression benefits to fight apart from ticking a check off a list.

I had a similar situation while doing the last Mercenery quest. One part has you confront a dude on the rooftops of Torigoth, on a narrow catwalk. The dude has a Blowdown attack, because of loving COURSE he does. Took me three attempts to beat him. Not because he killed me, no, I was 20 levels higher than him by that point. Even knocking me off the roof didn't kill me. The problem was once I fell down, the encounter ended, and he was back to full health by the time I made it back to where he was. Such a well-designed encounter!

If you don't mind the change in class, Ursula seems to fit better on Rex or Zeke as a supplemental healer.

She's on Zeke right now, so she can easily be on Rex either if need be. If she's fine where she is I will leave her there. I'm out of Overdrives anyway.

bizarre deformity posted:

Max affinity gives your whole team an HP barrier

Lv 2 special heals the whole party

I think she has another full party heal passive ability? I don't have my Switch with me.

Also she gets a launch art with fists, and a large AOE art that spawns HP potions. Good stuff.

Got it. Sounds fun. I should pay more attention to what the Blade's specials and passives do. I was focusing on the arts because that's an active thing I can do. I did notice that KOSMOS has a special that heals the entire party for a good chunk of HP. That's fun!

I could make Rex a pretty decent healer with Ursula and Nia. The only problem is I prefer controlling Nia. She's fun and cool and like her. Rex is great and all but he's kinda too good? He's so busted it's boring. I'm at the Final Chapter right now and I don't even have Rex in my active party at the moment, partially out of spite.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I could make Rex a pretty decent healer with Ursula and Nia. The only problem is I prefer controlling Nia. She's fun and cool and like her. Rex is great and all but he's kinda too good? He's so busted it's boring. I'm at the Final Chapter right now and I don't even have Rex in my active party at the moment, partially out of spite.

Yess, preach it! I bench the main character very often in games where it's possible to do so, partly just out of some misplaced desire to be different, but partly because it often makes the game way more interesting. Like it does here.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I find it hard to put both Rex and Zeke out together, and I don't want to miss out on Zeke's battle chatter, so Rex has been on the bench for a while now while I grind out sidequests and affinity.

His Shulk throwback line and 'let's get ready to rummmmbbblllleee!' are both hilarious.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

Got it. Sounds fun. I should pay more attention to what the Blade's specials and passives do. I was focusing on the arts because that's an active thing I can do. I did notice that KOSMOS has a special that heals the entire party for a good chunk of HP. That's fun!

It took me a while to get the gist of it but each character has a different skillset for each weapon and blades don't impact what the skills do at all. I thought when it showed me the roles of blades in conjunction with their weapon, I'd eventually see ATK bitballs or something, but no, bitballs are always for healers because every character's move pool has a healing skill in it. Katanas always have aggro-boosting moves because all katana blades are tanks. Because of this, the only difference between two spear users is their element and what their specials/passives are, so those are generally the things that make or break a blade.

Kind of a disappointing system imo because I would have loved to see offensive bitball blades or healing axes

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

PJOmega posted:

I'm in post game and despite opening 30+ fully boostered legendary cores I still need Dahlia, Zenobia, and Kos-Mos.

Sadly, that's not even all that unlucky. I've opened a good 60+ legendaries and who knows how many rares at lvl 99 with 2x 3 star luck accessories, full boosters, and 3 luck mod blades engaged and I'm still 5-8 blades off completion. Feelsbad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is the only way to do that to take Pandoria off him?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I beat the game. It was a wild, and very stupid, ride. I loved it. :allears: I shelled out for the expansion, too. Here's hoping the added stuff will be good. Like a lot of folks had mentioned, I'd love a New Game+ where you can keep all the unique Blades you got.

Looking at the list of unique Blades in the credits, looks like the only ones I don't have are Newt, Dagas, Dahlia, and Zenobia. That's not bad, I suppose.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It took me a while to get the gist of it but each character has a different skillset for each weapon and blades don't impact what the skills do at all. I thought when it showed me the roles of blades in conjunction with their weapon, I'd eventually see ATK bitballs or something, but no, bitballs are always for healers because every character's move pool has a healing skill in it. Katanas always have aggro-boosting moves because all katana blades are tanks. Because of this, the only difference between two spear users is their element and what their specials/passives are, so those are generally the things that make or break a blade.

Kind of a disappointing system imo because I would have loved to see offensive bitball blades or healing axes

Oh yeah, I got that. Nia has the same arts on knuckles no matter what Blade she has equipped, and such. So I had kind of ignored punch-claw healers because they don't have a dedicated healing art other than the potion-spawning one. In the case of Ursula though, I guess she doesn't need one. I'll have to fiddle with it some more. Ursula is cute and I'd love to use her and Nia could use an Ice Blade.

Edit: Oh, and somebody was wondering about a sidequest to help out Cole? I just found it. It might unlock once you beat the game?

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2018

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Silver Falcon posted:

I had a similar situation while doing the last Mercenery quest. One part has you confront a dude on the rooftops of Torigoth, on a narrow catwalk. The dude has a Blowdown attack, because of loving COURSE he does. Took me three attempts to beat him. Not because he killed me, no, I was 20 levels higher than him by that point. Even knocking me off the roof didn't kill me. The problem was once I fell down, the encounter ended, and he was back to full health by the time I made it back to where he was. Such a well-designed encounter!

I remember that putz. I was able to actually drag the fight to the middle of a rooftop and avoided that trauma.

Just beat Myrmidon Eugene, for that matter. I put Azami on point. For the first 3/4ths of the battle, my team bar would keep losing a pip because Nia would fall off the edge, and respawn on a goddamn bent girder detail with no real way back on to the catwalk. So, she'd cast a couple things, then fall off again. Eventually they put her back on the catwalk and she stayed safe the remainder of the fight.
With Azami, I stayed out of the fucker's knockdown/blowback gimmicks. I actually managed to put two elemental orbs on him, and had fully regained the affinity bar. It was going unexpectedly well, *despite* the ether cannon's blowback effect being successfully evaded every single god drat time. I was actually set to beat the guy clean.
I had one more combo set to go, I figured one more orb couldn't hurt for the overkill. The finisher was with Roc. He had the perfect amount of health left to take him out with a three-burst chain and a healthy buffer into overkill.
Roc's combo finisher gets the blowback, and pushes him over the edge to his death.
:xcom:

The best part, was that all his drops were on the ground below, and I was able to survive the fall with about 2% of my health and collect it all.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Arrgh. My game seems to be broken; I had a crash after the Malos boss fight in Chapter 7 (before thinking to save, why does this game not auto save except to make blade spawning more annoying :bahgawd:).

Now some things just don't seem to work anymore:
- Can’t start Perun's affinity quest because Silas never shows up. (I had almost finished the quest before the crash.)
- Specials don't charge beyond level 1 in some (not all) fights. No idea what triggers that.
- Most suspiciously, the fast travel map no longer shows landmarks, and only works randomly (it sometimes refuses to let me warp to landmarks, for no discernible reason).

Any tips? I'm not going to go much further into the endgame with such a glitchy save, but it would suck to have to restart. :bang:
On the fast travel map you can turn on and off the landmarks. I accidentally turned mine off and thought i had a glitch.

Is pyra currently in your party? If not you can’t do almost all sidequests because she’s in the cutscene.

I think you can’t go past level 1 then because you’re supposed to be in a dungeon that restricts ether. Finish chapter 7 and most of this stuff should be fixed. You can turn on the landmarks yourself.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

One last thing, I promise. What's the quickest way to gain Affinity? I've got a couple Blades that just need a bunch of Affinity to unlock their last node and it seems to take forever to tick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The Torigoth merc final fight was easily the worst even tho I was like 20 levels higher. I think it took five tries. I tried to bring him around to the bigger roof section but he would just get stuck on the corner and would never come. Myrmidon Eugene fell off in like 3 secs so I was cool, done.