Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
holy poo poo, I *was* there. It's just hard to think back to shows at the Warsaw without going right to Bomb's last show, the tears are too thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

turns out it wasn't absurdly hot and sweaty there, we were all just crying because they played "the guy from subway"

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lessthankyle posted:

I mean, I still hold out for an ASOB reunion. It doesn't help that Mike Park managed to get some good reunions together for the AMR fests.
keep holding onto that dream boy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One of my life regrets is skipping ASOB to go see Dropkick Murphys at Warped 2003 or 2004

A crowdsurfer kicked me in the face during DKM and smashed my nose flat, it was the punishment I deserved and I proudly carry the deviated septum as a battlescar/reminder of my stupidity to this day

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hackan Slash posted:

Hot take- Catch 22's recording of Keasby is better than Streetlights. Partly nostalgia, but as was said above the rawness and energy is so good. Streetlight sounds like they're just going through the motions.

A take so hot that literally everybody agrees with it

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Last bomb show was dope

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GoldfishStew posted:

Last bomb show was dope

Agreed. My biggest regret is that I forgot to bring cash, and the atm refused to take my debit card so I couldn't buy one of the great shirts there. In retrospect I shoulda offered to buy someone there a drink with my credit card in exchange for them buying me a shirt.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
ASOB reunion show was awesome. Last bomb show was great but sad too.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 4, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Agreed. My biggest regret is that I forgot to bring cash, and the atm refused to take my debit card so I couldn't buy one of the great shirts there. In retrospect I shoulda offered to buy someone there a drink with my credit card in exchange for them buying me a shirt.

There's like a 99% chance that if you went up to Jeff after the show and told him what happened he'd have given you a shirt

or at the very least taken you up on the "buy me a drink" option

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I buy band shirts too small and then get fat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

I mean, I still hold out for an ASOB reunion. It doesn't help that Mike Park managed to get some good reunions together for the AMR fests.

I went to the last one and it ruled a lot

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GoldfishStew posted:

Last bomb show was dope

Reminder that I had a ticket and got in a car accident on the way and had to miss it

Every time I listen to Campaign for a Better Next Weekend I cry inside and also sometimes outside

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

How do you think I feel I got too fat to wear a t shirt

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

One of my life regrets is skipping ASOB to go see Dropkick Murphys at Warped 2003 or 2004

A crowdsurfer kicked me in the face during DKM and smashed my nose flat, it was the punishment I deserved and I proudly carry the deviated septum as a battlescar/reminder of my stupidity to this day

I dunno 03/04 DKM was pretty rad. Before The Departed and the mainstream push.

I can't hate on the Streetlight version of Keasbey Nights too hard. Wasn't it just re-recorded to try and gently caress over Victory somehow? Can't say too much wrong about it if trying to screw over Victory was the reason for doing it.

edit: Throwdown ruled once again. Played Not To Me On That Night for the first time ever.

What also ruled was the Whiskey/Booze Fountain one of my buddies brought to the hotel for the after show parties.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 4, 2018

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

I can't hate on the Streetlight version of Keasbey Nights too hard. Wasn't it just re-recorded to try and gently caress over Victory somehow? Can't say too much wrong about it if trying to screw over Victory was the reason for doing it.

according to that text-to-speech thing at the end of 1234, victory wanted to re-release the original keasbey with bonus material (if i had to guess, demos and live footy from that era), which would have been better than a group of adults proving they're better at their instruments than they were ten years prior

edit: i grabbed my catch 22 keasbey nights cd and tomas is credited as sole songwriter for everything on the record. i BET he re-recorded keasbey so the other members of catch who weren't in streetlight at the time wouldn't get royalties from the re-release. joke's on him because victory wasn't gonna pay either way!!

if i sound like im being excessively hard on streetlight manifesto, let me offer that everything goes numb still rules and i've always found it hilarious that jeff rosenstock would offer hundred word explanations all of his songs in liner notes despite being the most literal, unpoetic and autobiographical songwriter in punk rock

yea dude we know that's what the song is about your lyrics are a livejournal set to music

Misc fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

I dunno 03/04 DKM was pretty rad. Before The Departed and the mainstream push.

edit: Throwdown ruled once again. Played Not To Me On That Night for the first time ever.

What also ruled was the Whiskey/Booze Fountain one of my buddies brought to the hotel for the after show parties.

Is that the Bedminster hotel?

I miss Boston like a motherfucker :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Buckminster.

Or Fuckminster. Depending on how the nights going

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

GoldfishStew posted:

How do you think I feel I got too fat to wear a t shirt

I still have my Mitch Clem San Antonio Rock City shirt even though it's three sizes too small for me at this point.

Anti-depressants are a hell of a drug.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I’m afraid to smoke pot because I’m scared I’ll have sad thoughts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never been able to look at a picture of the Bosstones and not think, "Why is Suggs singing with them?" :v:

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I went to the last one and it ruled a lot

You were at the last AMR Fest? You should have said something on here. AMR15 is the first place I got to hang out with lessthankyle. Which is a thing that people should definitely do, because he's awesome. AMR20 was pretty cool too, I just love Mike Park and everything he does.

I wasn't at the ASOB reunion, but I was at the farewell show at the Knitting Factory. Which the internet informs me was 10 years ago. Holy poo poo. No idea if I'll be able to go, but I did get my Keasby Night tickets.

Before my office decided to block all streaming media, I spent a lot of time trawling bandcamp for new ska related releases. The album I found last year that I enjoyed the most was this: https://sorrysweetheart.bandcamp.com/album/86d-from-everything. Kind of in the vein of Kill Lincoln. Anyone have any other under the radar releases from last year that have stood out?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

:toot:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WaffleZombie posted:

You were at the last AMR Fest? You should have said something on here. AMR15 is the first place I got to hang out with lessthankyle. Which is a thing that people should definitely do, because he's awesome. AMR20 was pretty cool too, I just love Mike Park and everything he does.

I wasn't at the ASOB reunion, but I was at the farewell show at the Knitting Factory. Which the internet informs me was 10 years ago. Holy poo poo. No idea if I'll be able to go, but I did get my Keasby Night tickets.

Before my office decided to block all streaming media, I spent a lot of time trawling bandcamp for new ska related releases. The album I found last year that I enjoyed the most was this: https://sorrysweetheart.bandcamp.com/album/86d-from-everything. Kind of in the vein of Kill Lincoln. Anyone have any other under the radar releases from last year that have stood out?

Keasbey goonmeet let's go :v:

also I hung out with lessthankyle when his band played a show in Boston like 8 years ago, it was a good time although I was pretty wasted and probably acted super awkward

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WaffleZombie posted:

No I was at the ASOB reunion, I got tickets the minute they went on sale. Good rear end show, you can see me crowdsurfing in a video for Disappointment at the Taco Bell

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Catch rules, Tomas is a talented jerk, Jeff is a talented cool dude, Fateo and I stayed in the same hotel, the Streetlight/BOTAR thing on Saturday is gonna rule but all it'll do is just remind me that Tomas is never going to record anything new ever again, I'm currently two songs into POST- and it's p good but so far is just WORRY 2 and I kinda miss when he was making Get Warmer through We Cool? where each successive album has at least a little bit of a different sound

e: Powerlessness is the best song so far simply because it sounds different than the others

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 7, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Catch rules, Tomas is a talented jerk, Jeff is a talented cool dude, Fateo and I stayed in the same hotel, the Streetlight/BOTAR thing on Saturday is gonna rule but all it'll do is just remind me that Tomas is never going to record anything new ever again, I'm currently two songs into POST- and it's p good but so far is just WORRY 2 and I kinda miss when he was making Get Warmer through We Cool? where each successive album has at least a little bit of a different sound

e: Powerlessness is the best song so far simply because it sounds different than the others

Funny, I thought POST- sounded pretty different from WORRY. I don't like it as much as WORRY right now, but Jeff albums usually take a few listens for them to grow on me.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

POST- isn't as good as WORRY I think but it doesn't matter, I'm just really glad for more stuff from Jeff. Now what I'm really hoping for this year is Vacation to be reissued finally.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Worry is also a pretty high bar to clear, it's the kind of record a decade from now he can still be proud of

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
https://twitter.com/jeffrosenstock/status/926550216139997185

When Pigs Cry fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 7, 2018

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
But I was gonna put my kids through college with my red, white and blue Adults.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i haven't played my copy of vacation of years, but the kudrow / hard girls split gets regular rotation on my turntable

where's the huge resale bubble on THAT

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Vacation is so good, let's all rank our Jeff things

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Smash Mouth - All Star
All Jeff stuff

There ranked

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

all jeffs, ranked

bridges
jazzy
goldblum
gerstmann
rosenstock
foxworthy
dahmer
sessions

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Misc posted:

all jeffs, ranked

bridges
jazzy
goldblum
gerstmann
rosenstock
foxworthy
dahmer
sessions

Bezos goes in between dahmer and sessions

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Post- is #1 on billboards heatseekers chart

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

WaffleZombie posted:

For real, AMR15 put some serious friendships on the books.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

also I hung out with lessthankyle when his band played a show in Boston like 8 years ago, it was a good time although I was pretty wasted and probably acted super awkward

The last band I played in was about 12 years ago, so I don't know who this kyle was, but I wanna meet him!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My bad, it was Josh Wow and his band Taj Motel Trio although their FB says he's not in the band anymore. No idea why I thought it was you!

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Post- is #1 on billboards heatseekers chart

the three cheers liner notes were right, all asob had to do was quit playing ska and clean up their language, then they would become huge

Misc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just found out Fury of the Aquabats is getting remastered or whatever on vinyl and it’s a blessing.