Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Hey all I am the Captain of the AGDQ chat thread and even tho I'm not really going to post here I want to sincerely wish you all a happy and safe AGDQ18. Please enjoy the runs, posts, twitter drama and most importantly please have a good time out there everyone and let's cherish these memories together :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh wow installing streamlinker and twitch GUI is so much simpler than livestreamer.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And here. We. GO!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yay, ready for another round of great runs.

And more importantly, the awful block.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's to another great AGDQ, everyone! :kimchi:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh man they gave the guy on the right (didn't here name, not Spiked Vegeta or ProtoMagicalGirl) way too much foundation.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There isn't a Tetris like block this GDQ that takes up half the day due to setup? The actual Tetris playing was good but not sure if it was worth the multiple hours of setting up for it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/TheSuperSNES/status/950042202645975040

PJ off to a great start this year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pot of greed is a banned card.

I don't mind these skits at all but I bet people are going to be super mad about them

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This tutorial run seems like it's potentially going to be wreck.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Time to pick out my T-shirts! Definitely getting the FF4 shirt. I love FF4.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

wrong thread! oops

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 7, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It seems like every racing game with water or hover physics makes you go faster if you go back and forth like an idiot

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone have the link to the GDQ schedule where the current game is highlighted? When things start slipping later in the week it's a godsend.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

axeil posted:

Anyone have the link to the GDQ schedule where the current game is highlighted? When things start slipping later in the week it's a godsend.
That would be the Horaro schedule. Link's in the OP!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

That would be the Horaro schedule. Link's in the OP!

Woot.

Thank you friend!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm sorta half-watching right now, mostly just hanging out with the wife today. I already know I'll have to go back and catch up on runs from today.

I'll be able to watch a lot of this at work since I don't really have anything going on this week.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I'm at a tech conference right now, not being able to watch is killing me.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I reckon Ratchet & Clank will be mandatory viewing for people catching up. Crazy glitches, tech and fast-paced action.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TeaJay posted:

I reckon Ratchet & Clank will be mandatory viewing for people catching up. Crazy glitches, tech and fast-paced action.

Confirm. Ratchet and Clank run was great in all the right ways.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Splatoon 2 is going great so far and there's a lot of good commentary.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Splatoon 2 was A Fun Run. Not technically great but great commentary and Very Chill.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

KennyMan666 posted:

Shirts are here

Probably getting Dark Beast and Glitched Light Mythology myself.

What's the Dark Beast t-shirt design from?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Max Wilco posted:

What's the Dark Beast t-shirt design from?

Breath of the Wild, unless that's not the question.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Unreal_One posted:

Breath of the Wild, unless that's not the question.

No, that's what I meant. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I wasn't sure what game is was supposed to be referencing. I haven't had a chance to play Breath of the Wild yet, so I didn't recognize it.

I also can't tell what Pop & Bells and Use Your Head are referencing either. I'm guessing Use Your Head is from Mario Bros.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I definitely don't recognize glitched light whatever. I am a fake gamer girl.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Use Your Head is Dynamite Headdy, Pop & Bells looks like Pop n Twinbee

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doc Hawkins posted:

I definitely don't recognize glitched light whatever. I am a fake gamer girl.
Kid Icarus.

Edit: Also thanks to the mod that stickied the threads, either VideoGames or Palpek since they're the ones I contacted about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wow the room pretty much emptied out for this so far boring game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pop'n twinbee loving sucks to play casually cause the game is insanely punishing for any little mistake while also being built around moving fast through stages filled to the brim with instant death spikes so i'm looking forward to a speedrun masterfully crushing all of that game's bullshit

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there any reason why they play the games in languages other than English?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Spermando posted:

Text scrolls faster in other languages (consider some languages may need fewer words/characters to get the script across) and thus saves time

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Spermando posted:

Gotta go fast.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Weird. I remember in college they told us it takes 30% more time to say things in Italian/Spanish compared to English.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spermando posted:

Weird. I remember in college they told us it takes 30% more time to say things in Italian/Spanish compared to English.

Japanese is a very information dense language and form of writing making it almost universally faster in old 16 bit stuff just because you're scrolling through fewer boxes.

In modern, voice acted games it's really a crap shoot because there are way more factors. Italian/Spanish may be a less information dense language in general, but the script may be more succinct than the English one, actors may deliver lines faster, etc.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wow the room pretty much emptied out for this so far boring game

The game itself looks like one I'd want to play but since I usually use GDQ streams as background noise the commentary is pretty :geno:

Spermando posted:

Localization for anything is only as good as your localization team, bad ones can end up cutting a lot of flavor/nuance if they can't figure out how to translate the idioms

Like all of those joke subbed fighting movies where a guy talks for 10-15 seconds in japanese and the subtitles are just "No"

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Spermando posted:

They stated one mission didn't start until a phone call was over so Italian saved them two second just for that single phone call.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Man, couch crew just sucked this run. Commentator didn't even fill the dead air with donations, which is kiiinda bad considering they racked up like 10K there.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Add Skyrim to the List of Good Runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Skyrim's first 5 minutes were gold but it's kinda slowed down. Of course it's a 50 minute estimate so I know it's not going to be all facehugging a mountain but that's such a shame that the air got let out of this balloon immediately after such a high-octane start.

Couch crew / runner have a great vibe on this one though and they're keeping it fun even in low points like that

• Locked thread