Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

At first glance, that's a SATA II board but you'll still see that poo poo fulfill storage requests faster than an hdd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks, on the fence at just replacing the whole thing. Everything still works great, but it's only a matter of time.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

baquerd posted:

Thanks, on the fence at just replacing the whole thing. Everything still works great, but it's only a matter of time.

A SATA3 SSD on a SATA2 is only present a bottleneck when it comes to transferring large enough files to a faster drive (like a SATA3/NVMe SSD), otherwise in normal usage there should be no difference because latency and IOPs are still the same.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone know what chipset is used in the Team Group L5 Lite SSD? newegg has the 480gb for $100

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know what chipset is used in the Team Group L5 Lite SSD? newegg has the 480gb for $100

Ain't worth being a guinea pig when the 500GB EVO can hit $129 during special sales and the WD Blue usually sells for $10-15 more at MSRP.

We don't trust their RAM in the BYOPC thread, and we'd talk anyone out of taking a chance on it and to spend just that little bit more on something proven.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yup, why take the chance? All the second tier SSD vendors still have to source their NAND from the big three (Samsung, Micron, Toshiba), so the only way they can realistically cut their costs on is the controller which is a very bad idea for the consumer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

Yup, why take the chance? All the second tier SSD vendors still have to source their NAND from the big three (Samsung, Micron, Toshiba), so the only way they can realistically cut their costs on is the controller which is a very bad idea for the consumer.

Dude, controllers have been pretty stable for years. The thing is getting good quality NAND.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I watch Slickdeals pretty religiously and I have yet to see a deal on a non-Samsung SSD that is cheap enough that I would ever consider buying anything other than a Samsung or perhaps a WD. Seems highly likely that you'll still be using that Samsung as a data drive, if not a boot drive, in 5-10 years when that crappy Team Win drive is a distant painful memory.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I watch Slickdeals pretty religiously and I have yet to see a deal on a non-Samsung SSD that is cheap enough that I would ever consider buying anything other than a Samsung or perhaps a WD. Seems highly likely that you'll still be using that Samsung as a data drive, if not a boot drive, in 5-10 years when that crappy Team Win drive is a distant painful memory.

Crucial is as low as I go. You can save a few bux.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trip report on the old Intel drive I talked about: Attaching it to a USB-SATA adapter, I could at least get Windows to read the partition table and begin reformatting it. CDI tells me health status = 100%. However something may have gotten stuck with the formatting, it's been sitting at 67% for far too long.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 29, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Amazon currently has the 500GB WD Blue with 3D NAND for the same price as the older non-3D NAND drive: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Capsaicin posted:

ahahaha holy poo poo this is so much faster. windows booted up in like, 8 seconds.

I remember my first SSD :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What's actually the bottleneck on startup now? Why does it take 8 seconds instead of 2?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Probably the BIOS

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Probably the BIOS

Or Windows' natural tendency to bloat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Post.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's actually the bottleneck on startup now? Why does it take 8 seconds instead of 2?

IMO, besides the obvious POST sequence, its prolly because software code itself becomes a bottleneck once the underlying hardware becomes faster than a certain threshold. Because from what I see even on a RAMdisk old games like Red Alert 2 would still have a few seconds of load time; in fact it's virtually the same speed if they were on a SSD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it decompression?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it decompression?

Both decompressing data, also building internal data structures from the assets, uploading data to the GPU, more things I don't remember.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My old 120GB Intel 330 is becoming a restriction so it's time for an upgrade.

For basically the same price I can get either a 250GB 960 Evo plus the adapter board for my non-M.2 equipped motherboard or a 500GB 850 Evo.

Is NVMe worth the loss of capacity for a system drive?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't take that sort of capacity hit just to get NVMe

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't take that sort of capacity hit just to get NVMe

Agreed. Everything I've read indicates that the increased speed of NVMe might be noticable...occasionally. you'll notice having twice as much capacity constantly unless you're someone who stores essentially nothing on their PC.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I didn't really have an option for NVMe but my 500GB 850 EVO has been a champ for 804 days so far:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd get the 500GB evo, then later on get NVME for the system drive.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Echoing. I just did the same thing in upgrading from an older near-first-gen SSD (a Vertex2 in my case). Got a smaller 960 Evo and a Crucial MX500 for game storage. In the end? I barely could tell any difference, even compared to the Vertex. If you're a regular end user like me, I would go with the bigger SATA SSD.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Until you can afford to splurge on an 1TB nvme.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly at this point for fast storage, wait for third-gen Optane. Hopefully they'll make it cheaper, or at least figure out how to put the second-gen stuff in an M.2 form factor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BIG HEADLINE posted:

wait for third-gen Optane. Hopefully they'll make it cheaper

I need an intel logo with the i and l extra tall, the i on fire, and the l being approached by an airliner

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm more interested when will the floodgates of cheap anti-price fixing chinese NAND so I can fill up my PC with $100 2TB slow-but-still-fast-enough non spinners

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Palladium posted:

I'm more interested when will the floodgates of cheap anti-price fixing chinese NAND so I can fill up my PC with $100 2TB slow-but-still-fast-enough non spinners

Yeah, I'd honestly be happy with a 2TB SSD that was speed-limited to 300/300 just to banish spinners altogether for everything but my NAS box.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
While we're wary of how Optane marries users to the Intel ecosystem, how well are the alternatives doing? Is Samsung, for example, optimistic enough about their first-generation Z-NAND performance to take the crown? Or is it something like an interim technology in an attempt to prevent Intel from getting too many years ahead on that sweet sweet storage-memory hybrid market?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The AIC Optanes don't marry you to any ecosystem except for the Star Citizen ones

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'd honestly be happy with a 2TB SSD that was speed-limited to 300/300 just to banish spinners altogether for everything but my NAS box.
Yeah having a 2TB NVMe SSD is really nice.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

WhyteRyce posted:

The AIC Optanes don't marry you to any ecosystem except for the Star Citizen ones

oh poo poo

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Rebounding back from this with what looks like almost-SSD-sized Optane storage in M.2 format: https://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/CES-2108-Intel-Launches-Optane-800p-M2-2280-SSDs-60120GB-Capacities

Max capacity 120GB

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The product they should have released a year ago :golfclap:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That at 256GB with PCIE x 4 would own really hard.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That at 256GB with PCIE x 4 would own really hard.

But that already exists....for a lot of money

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

WhyteRyce posted:

But that already exists....for a lot of money

Ah sorry, in M2. I wouldn't even mind 128GB if it was PCIEx4 M2.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I have a 240GB PNY 8LR8 Pro that I bought about 4 years go and used relatively lightly. At the time, it had rather positive reviews. About a month or two ago I noticed something seemed off, and after benchmarking it realized that while reads were fine, writes to the SSD had slowed to a trickle. Random and sequential writes of ~ 3MB/s. I backed it up, swapped it and formatted and trimmed it but it's still hosed even empty. Should I chuck it in the bin or does anyone have any idea how to rescue or repurpose it?

I checked PNY's website and they 1) don't have any firmware for it anymore and 2) don't have software to secure erase it.
I'm never buying anything but Intel or Samsung again.