Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

Disney put the kibosh on it however, and is now planning their own Star Wars TV series.

They also killed Star Wars Detours (AKA the Robot Chicken guys try and make an entire series out of those Family Guy parody episodes) despite having almost 40 episodes completed so chalk that up as one of the positives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wouldn’t it have been more like the Robot Chicken parody episodes?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Lucas was preparing a live action Star Wars before he sold it to Disney. Legend goes that 50 scripts had been written (including one by Simon Pegg), but Lucas was just waiting for it to become more cost effective for the ambition of the series to be film.

Disney put the kibosh on it however, and is now planning their own Star Wars TV series.

Lucas had been preparing a live action Star Wars since Revenge of the Sith came out. I remember circa 2006 when Wookieepedia would have regular updates on the progress of the Star Wars TV series that was absolutely happening which was going to be set between ROTS and ANH. It was going to have the kid who played Boba Fett in AOTC reprising his role and Lucas himself was reported as saying he expected it would have at least 100 episodes.

Probably ran into the same problem as Young Indiana Jones in the end - it was too expensive for what he wanted to be able to do with it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wasn't that into Riverdale, but if they actually commit to this, like with the magic and everything, I will watch every single episode.

Oh god yes. If they lean into the modern Pseudo-Satanist Sabrina take I am definitely in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
One of more annoying 'things that LOST doesn't follow up on' moments is when Ben and Charles Widmore have their conversation and it's loaded with past history and about how one killing the other was against 'the rules' but it's never followed up on. Or the stuff with Jack's dad where it's eventually just decided that he's a form of the smoke monster but that's a huge retcon and doesn't explain his earlier appearances.

Or anything with Walt past Season 2.

I still like the show though. The first season is great and it almost always nailed all of its big turns.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

feedmyleg posted:

Rebels is pure garbage. It's incredibly derivative and brings nothing new to the table. It's characters are highly unlikeable and constantly make very stupid choices.

On the other hand it has Thrawn, which for a certain level of nostalgic fanboy is enough to outweigh the rest.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Interesting. I didn't realize Rebels turned out that poorly. That's a shame.

I guess I'll start with select episodes from The Clone Wars. I found this suggested episode watch guide. It seems pretty good, unless anyone wants to add to it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know a lot of people say to skip the original Clone Wars movie but it's worth watching for Ziro the Hutt. He's 100% based on Truman Capote.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Hopefully this adaptation won't get hosed over in its second season like American Gods did :smith:

Wait what’s happening to season 2 of American gods

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh nooooo

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I just finished the Malevolence Arc from The Clone Wars and I'm pretty surprised at how good it and the show in general is. It's more mature then I expected, and from what I've read it only get's more so in later seasons so that's cool.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
All the clone trooper arcs are amazing and very dark.

Edit: The animation gets better and better just wait until the battle on Mandalore, when its just two guys fighting with lightsabers and the hanger door opens behind them revealing a massive and gorgeous battle scene.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rocksicles posted:

You'll be eating those words later on.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yes. I didn't really love the show until season 2. I went back to see some season 1 episodes a while ago and it's really low budget compared to what the show is now. The actor steps up in later seasons.

This is good news, ty both!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

One of more annoying 'things that LOST doesn't follow up on' moments is when Ben and Charles Widmore have their conversation and it's loaded with past history and about how one killing the other was against 'the rules' but it's never followed up on. Or the stuff with Jack's dad where it's eventually just decided that he's a form of the smoke monster but that's a huge retcon and doesn't explain his earlier appearances.

I still like the show though. The first season is great and it almost always nailed all of its big turns.

What a coincidence, there was an article on LOST on Kotaku 3 days ago with the same talking points.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just finished the Malevolence Arc from The Clone Wars and I'm pretty surprised at how good it and the show in general is. It's more mature then I expected, and from what I've read it only get's more so in later seasons so that's cool.

Honestly if you liked Clone Wars you'll most likely like Rebels. It's made by the same people, albeit the animation quality is not as high, and much like Clone Wars it has a bunch of bad/so-so episodes but the also some pretty high highs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Clone Wars doesn't dumb down for kids. Rebels absolutely does.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

He should pull a Tim Schafer and crowdfund his next project so all the fans who defend him as being unfairly yanked around by the studios can pull a 180 as soon as its their money on the line.

Star Citizen: The Game: The TV Show by Bryan Fuller

Pledge now!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Star Citizen: The Game: The TV Show by Bryan Fuller

Pledge now!

That's only slightly more insane than that ridiculous You Don't Know Jack TV series from like 15 years ago, with Paul Reubens playing a fictional host against real contestants.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

That's only slightly more insane than that ridiculous You Don't Know Jack TV series from like 15 years ago, with Paul Reubens playing a fictional host against real contestants.

haha whaaaaat i gotta see this now. to youtube!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

come watch the Golden Globes with me, chat thread!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

feedmyleg posted:

True, but Rebels has, personally, higher highs than Clone Wars. I actually think that the conclusion to a long standing adversarial relationship in that show is my favourite Star Wars moment ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

True, but Rebels has, personally, higher highs than Clone Wars. I actually think that the conclusion to a long standing adversarial relationship in that show is my favourite Star Wars moment ever.

No voice over is a huge plus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Should I watch Miami Vice?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

Should I watch Miami Vice?

absolutely. for individual episode recs, i love "Better Living Through Chemistry"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah the first season is legit great. I think the official scuttlebutt was Walt kinda started going through puberty and that really stretched belief even in the gritty reboot of fantastic island

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to poo poo on awards shows, especially the godawful pairing of musical and comedy but

quote:

Best actress in a TV series (musical/comedy)
Pamela Adlon, Better Things
Alison Brie, GLOW
WINNER: Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Issa Rae, Insecure
Frankie Shaw, SMILF

Holy crap. That’s all kinds of wonderful, from the nominees to the winner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hell yeah, she deserved the hell out of that win

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

gently caress yeah Brosnahan!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if any of yall haven't yet checked out The End of the loving World on Netflix, do so right now

edit: oh man hbomberguy just put up a video about the dr. who christmas special :allears:

precision fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 8, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah the first season is legit great. I think the official scuttlebutt was Walt kinda started going through puberty and that really stretched belief even in the gritty reboot of fantastic island

Yeah at end of season 4 Walt is taller than Hurley lmfao.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

What? It has plenty of decapitations and murders and poo poo. Just this past season it had the empire using a weapon that disintegrated a bunch of people.

If you're talking about actual storytelling then I dunno. Rebels is one of the few official Star Wars things to like even touch on the fact that the force isn't just good/evil.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 8, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Having not watched any of the ceremony, I wonder if Gary Oldman getting a Golden Globe was awkward, because he's always slagged them off in the past.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He was gracious. The saltiest person was Natalie Portman when she presented the all-male best director nominees.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

precision posted:

if any of yall haven't yet checked out The End of the loving World on Netflix, do so right now

edit: oh man hbomberguy just put up a video about the dr. who christmas special :allears:

Yes it's very good and hosed up but also heartwarming, in a weird way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

we already freaked out about how good this was and you missed it SORRY

but yes it is a very very good show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This Saturday Cozi added the A-Team, and the first two episodes definitely weirded me out because Face was played by some other guy. On Sunday I watched a 70's exploitation film called "The Muthers." This combination made me wonder why exploitation films haven't been mined for TV adaptation.

The A-Team was very much an exploitation film turned TV show, and no one really has done it since. With how much the plot of most exploitation films meander a single movie could totally be padded out to at least 6 episodes easily.

Then again, maybe I just want to see a show about lady pirates.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hakkesshu posted:

What? It has plenty of decapitations and murders and poo poo. Just this past season it had the empire using a weapon that disintegrated a bunch of people.

If you're talking about actual storytelling then I dunno. Rebels is one of the few official Star Wars things to like even touch on the fact that the force isn't just good/evil.

Rebels also features a droid with no regard for human life in Chopper, who delights in spacing storm troopers every other episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm so tired of angels and demons in tv shows just being well dressed dudes. Glue on some tacky wings you assholes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm also going to the a shotout to The End of the loving World. It is astoundingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so tired of angels and demons in tv shows just being well dressed dudes. Glue on some tacky wings you assholes.
That's what he looks like in the book.