Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm already adding Skyrim to my recommendation list simply for the runner & couch commentary. It also helps that Skyrim is broken as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you want some fun/annoyance/whatever other emotion this may induce, here's almost a thousand people being very mad that the twitch chat isn't as terrible as it is usually https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oreaa/agdq_chat_in_submode_only/

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Amppelix posted:

If you want some fun/annoyance/whatever other emotion this may induce, here's almost a thousand people being very mad that the twitch chat isn't as terrible as it is usually https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oreaa/agdq_chat_in_submode_only/

Someone is legitimately nostalgic for a time when someone randomly shouted out a slur because someone on 4chan would donate for it?

Wow.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just noticed the binary clock behind the run timer, that's really cool.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'd rather not even think about Twitch chat or Reddit.

Skyrim is a pretty good candidate for run of the year so far.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TeaJay posted:

Including SGDQ.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

TeaJay posted:

I'd rather not even think about Twitch chat or Reddit.

Confirmed. A beautiful trainwreck of glitches and great couch.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
YOU FAILED TO ATTEND YOUR WEDDING AGAIN

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Speedrun reddit is just vile. I used to lurk it because I wanted to keep up with speedruns more than twice a year but it's just, all that. All exactly that. I didn't really get the vibe there's a lot of actual speedrunners there, it all felt like it was where stream monsters went to spew bullshit

These events aren't perfect by any stretch and the event organizers don't always make the right call, but at the same time I don't really know what those people want out of GDQ

God this Skyrim run owns bowns though. I love how the skips keep escalating in how inscrutable they are

Dancer
May 23, 2011

nerdbot posted:

The Speedrun reddit is just vile. I used to lurk it because I wanted to keep up with speedruns more than twice a year but it's just, all that. All exactly that. I didn't really get the vibe there's a lot of actual speedrunners there, it all felt like it was where stream monsters went to spew bullshit

These events aren't perfect by any stretch and the event organizers don't always make the right call, but at the same time I don't really know what those people want out of GDQ

God this Skyrim run owns bowns though. I love how the skips keep escalating in how inscrutable they are

The same thing they want out of GamerGate and all that jazz. Their community has become mainstream-ish, it turns out that the non-lovely people coming in want a non-lovely community, and because there are enough non-lovely people present now, they can actually impose their will to some extent. So those of "the old guard" who liked it are now angry that their childish antics and exclusionary behaviour are no longer the norm.

And yeah, Skyrim run is amazing. I will abstain from spoiling too much, but:
"YOU HIT THE WRONG DRAGON"

e: and the very next run is the amazing personal GOTY Hollow Knight. This GDQ is off to a great start.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Usually a run going over estimate is a sign they were a skippable trainwreck disaster but Skyrim and Spla2n were both really good and fun. Goes to show how a good couch vibe can carry things

EDIT: Also in the past, the GDQ staff has been very strict about getting people in and out of the couch, especially when they're over estimate, but they've given everybody the time to say their piece or do something fun at the end so far if they want that? (They let the Spla2n guys talk through the credits, and they let the Skyrim marriage happen) I'm glad--I tooootally get why they usher people in and out on a tight clip when setup is such a big deal but in the past a lot of runs have ended kinda awkwardly? It's nice to just get that hot second to let these people say some poo poo and SO FAR, no one has overstayed their welcome, thankfully

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 8, 2018

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well, Skyrim is/was a trainwreck disaster, but an awesome one.

It's 1:35 AM but I still need to see Hollow Knight. Hopefully it won't disappoint, I really loved it last year, played the hell out of it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Skyrim is the best love story :kiddo:

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Just saw a blurb pop up on screen about an Aladdin 100% run. Is this possible and where do I donate for that?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TeaJay posted:

Well, Skyrim is/was a trainwreck disaster, but an awesome one.

trainwrecks are made or broken by the commentary, and skyrim and spla2n both had good runners/couches

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

Just saw a blurb pop up on screen about an Aladdin 100% run. Is this possible and where do I donate for that?

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/donate/22

Ctrl-F "Aladdin". It's right after the Blaster Master ones. Currently at $1907/5000

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I am very sad that I missed Skyrim.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That Infamous run ended up a lot better than I thought at the beginning, it was just really cutscene heavy in parts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Amppelix posted:

quote:

Well it is the Prevent Cancer Foundation, they're just doing their part.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I'm kinda digging the streams appearance. It's neat that they keep changing up the design with each marathon.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Have they given an official reason why the chat is subs only?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Do we really need an official reason? It's not exactly a secret how toxic it is/was

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fadam posted:

making people pay money to chat tends to make them less likely to say the n-word so they don't waste the 10 bucks or whatever it is

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

making people pay money to chat tends to make them less likely to say the n-word so they don't waste the 10 bucks or whatever it is

So that where Bichkilla and Matt Damon went after they got banned from here.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

fadam posted:

No idea. I don't think anyone knows why.

Unrelated but does anyone else remember the TASbot segment where they got twitch chat to filter into pokemon red/blue or something? It was really cool but within the first 2 seconds the word friend of the family filled up the entire screen and there was an audible gasp that filled the room. Anyway, just an anecdote I was thinking about for some reason. Peace.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mandatory lesbian posted:

It also encourages people to actually buy the sub, since the sub money goes to the charity.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It also makes it more of a chat and less of an emote spam generator.

Looks like the reasons Keep piling up.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I have no idea what the point of twitch chat is when the stream has more than like 1000 people. You're legit just screaming into a void

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

fadam posted:

Probably because even in sub mode they had to ban people constantly during the infamous run due to transphobic slurs. It is no secret that a large amount of gamers are terrible people.

As AGDQ expands they have to chose to either support the racist and transphobic comments or distance themselves from it. AGDQ's chat is part of their product.

Also anything that pisses off people that "ironically" want to say the n word is a step in the right direction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't believe how long it's been since an f zero game came out.

Does this run include the arcade only tracks that could be unlocked with a memory card taken to the arcade?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zelder posted:

I have no idea what the point of twitch chat is when the stream has more than like 1000 people. You're legit just screaming into a void

"IT ADDS CHARACTER", I scream in protest, as the chat fills with page after page of "NIGGERFAGGOT"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does this run include the arcade only tracks that could be unlocked with a memory card taken to the arcade?

You didn't need to do that to unlock those tracks, the other way though was winning all the Grand Prix cups on Master then buying them in the shop and that was insanely hard.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

As far as I know, it should!

For the record, the AX Cup could be unlocked by beating the regular 5 cups on Master, the highest difficulty, because of loving course. The AX Mute City track, Sonic Oval, gets unlocked for Time Attack if you beat the AX Cup on Master. I think this run has to do that too. There's a lot of loving setup for a Time Attack run

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watching this feels like looking into the Monolith at the end of 2001

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

It started at my 12.30am so I only caught the first couple of runs but just wanted to reiterate that Ratchet & Clank run was amazing. Every level was like "We're going to casually break physics in 4 different ways."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was a fun run. I was able to beat story mode on hardest setting and could beat all cups on expert, but Master was way above my skill ceiling and I could never do techs like this

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Reading this has been extremely bad for my chill. I hate all of these people.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
bad charity, bad stream, bad runs, bad commentary

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

bad charity, bad stream, bad runs, bad commentary

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
What's a good speedrun to show new people? People who don't know about speedrunning or gaming. Thanks, guys. :)

• Locked thread