Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think we've ever done a sheep game in here before, but the rules are pretty simple:

Fill out this survey with who you think BSS as a whole thinks is the answer. You get one point for everyone who answers the same as you, including yourself. E.g. if you and 28 other people pick Theodore Roosevelt for best president, you all get 29 points.
Most points at the end wins.
There's a handful of questions that specify 2017, but the ones that do not are open to the entirety of comics history, so keep that in mind as you fill it out.
You don't have to fill anything out, but you'll be losing out on a point if you leave anything blank.

I will give the winner a forums upgrade of their choice.

Feel free to discuss your answers here, but beware that if you fill out your survey and start talking about it, it might give someone else a leg up.

I will be closing responses sometime on January 7 (basically whenever I get around to it), so you have until then to fill out your answers!

Let me know if something's not working for whatever reason and I'll fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I couldn't think of any new artists in 2017 so I had to leave that one blank.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

I couldn't think of any new artists in 2017 so I had to leave that one blank.

I figured since it said "Breakout" I could pick someone who had done earlier work but who had a lot of exposure in 2017.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I figured since it said "Breakout" I could pick someone who had done earlier work but who had a lot of exposure in 2017.

Jack Kirby.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

joehonkie posted:

Jack Kirby.

Yeah he's an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I entered, and I look forward to finding out how wrong I was!

I kind of gave up on tryign to divine BSS' whims and just went with my gut for half of them.

Also I misunderstood the tiebreaker I think. Oh well!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fun thing is that it means whatever you think everyone else thinks it means :)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Oh damnit, I hosed that one up. I thought the first entry was supposed to be BSS's best webcomics poster instead of my own name.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What in the world does that bonus question possibly mean

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

purple death ray posted:

What in the world does that bonus question possibly mean

I just figured it was how many questions you think you'll get right.

Or was it how many points you think your score? In which case I massively underbid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just figured it was how many questions you think you'll get right.

Or was it how many points you think your score? In which case I massively underbid.

It’s this. Guess your final score. It’s not a sheep question.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I lost.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Worst Comic Book Movie Adaptation and Worst Webcomics probably won't get a single match, unless everyone decided to focus only on the recent ones(Webcomics still wouldn't get a match)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I should have tried for the Black sheep so I could have at least claimed to win something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samuringa posted:

Worst Comic Book Movie Adaptation and Worst Webcomics probably won't get a single match, unless everyone decided to focus only on the recent ones(Webcomics still wouldn't get a match)
You're wrong on both accounts.

In fact, there is only one with no matches yet. Comically, even the tiebreaker has a match, so hopefully those people don't need a tie broken.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 6, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Final day bump. I'll tabulate the winner tonight!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here we go! We had 13 respondents for this, which isn't a huge turnout, but still led to some fun answers.

Best comics publisher:
1. Image - 5 votes
2. Marvel - 4 votes
3. DC - 3 votes
4. Valiant - 1 vote

Worst comics publisher:
1. Marvel - 5 votes
2. DC - 4 votes
3 (tie). Aspen, Double Take, Zenescope, Malibu - 1 vote

Best artist:
1. Jack Kirby - 8 votes
2 (tie). Akira Toriyama, Gurihiru, Leila Del Duca, Yusuke Morata, Phil Noto - 1 vote

Worst artist:
1. Rob Liefeld - 6 votes
2. Greg Land - 4 votes
3. Greg Pak, Humberto Ramos - 1 vote

Best writer:
1 (tie). Alan Moore, Tom King - 3 votes
3. Grant Morrison - 2 votes
4 (tie). Chris Claremont, Jonathan Hickman, Tom Parkinson-Morgan, Walt Simonson, Al Ewing - 1 vote

Worst writer:
1. Nick Spencer - 6 votes
2 (tie). - Jeph Loeb, Daniel Way - 2 votes
4 (tie). - Chuck Austen, Scott Lobdell - 1 vote

Best character:
1. Batman - 3 votes
2. Peter Parker/Spider-Man - 2 votes (technically one of these is for Newspaper Spider-Man, but I'm being nice)
3 (tie). Ciocie Cioelle Estrella Von Maximus III, Honey Badger, J. Jonah Jameson, Kamala Khan, Rockslide, Yorick Brown, Young Jean Grey - 1 vote

Worst character:
1. Red Hood - 3 votes
2. Sally Floyd - 2 votes
3 (tie). Barry Allen, Beast, Clevin, Nazi Cap, Joker, Shaft, Wolverine

Best superhero:
1. Batman - 3 votes
2 (tie). Superman, Gwenpool - 2 votes
4 (tie). Dr. Doom, Honey Badger, Ms. Marvel, Raven, Spider-Man, Squirrel Girl - 1 vote

Worst superhero:
1. Red Hood - 4 votes
2 (tie). Batman, Captain Marvel, Daken, Hal Jordan, Infamous Iron Man, Iron Fist, Mr. Fantastic, Shaft, Superman - 1 vote

Best supervillain:
1. Dr. Doom - 8 votes
2. Joker - 2 votes
3. Kite Man, Magneto, Stilt Man - 1 vote

Worst supervillain:
1. Nazi Captain America - 6 votes (yall had some creative ways of naming him)
2. Joker - 3 votes
3 (tie). Hemogoblin, Jason Todd, The Blob - 1 vote

Best comics movie adaptation:
1 (tie). The Dark Knight, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Logan, Winter Soldier - 2 votes
5 (tie). Batman Returns, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Wonder Woman - 1 vote

Worst comics movie adaptation:
1. Justice League - 4 votes
2 (tie). Catwoman, Elektra, Oscar Award Winner Suicide Squad - 2 votes
5 (tie). Batman v. Superman, F4ntastic Four, Superman IV - 1 vote

Best comics TV adaptation:
1. Daredevil - 4 votes
2. Legion - 2 votes
3 (tie). Justice League Unlimited, Luke Cage, Supergirl, Teen Titans, The Punisher, iZombie - 1 vote
I'm legitimately surprised that Batman: TAS didn't get a single vote

Worst comics TV adaptation:
1. Iron Fist - 6 votes
2. Inhumans - 3 votes
3 (tie). - Generation X, Legion, Spider-Man Unlimited, The Defenders - 1 vote

Best decade for comics:
1. 1980s - 6 votes
2 (tie). 1970s, 2000s - 2 votes
4 (tie). 2010s, 1960s

Worst decade for comics:
1. 1990s - 11 votes
2. 2000s - 2 votes

Best new series of 2017:
1. Black Bolt - 4 votes
2. Mister Miracle - 3 votes
3 (tie). Captain America, Miracle Man, Unstoppable Wasp, Dog Fighter XX - 1 vote

Worst new series of 2017:
1. Secret Empire - 5 votes
2 (tie). - America, Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider, Generation X, Secret Empire 2, "probably something x-men" - 1 vote

Breakout writer of 2017:
1. Tom King - 6 votes
2. Saladin Ahmad - 3 votes
3 (tie). Chip Zdarsky, Al Ewing - 1 vote

Breakout artist of 2017:
1. Mitch Gerads - 3 votes
2. Russell Dauterman - 2 votes
3 (tie). Elsa Charratier, Gary Frank, Nick Derington, "Some new artist who draw really cool looking comic", Jack Kirby - 1 vote

Best newspaper comic strip:
1. The Amazing Spider-Man - 8 votes
2. Calvin & Hobbes - 2 votes
3 (tie). Peanuts, The Far Side - 1 vote

Worst newspaper comic strip:
1 (tie). Garfield, The Amazing Spider-Man - 2 votes
3 (tie). Cathy, Dilbert, Family Circus, Mallard Fillmore, Nancy, Prickly City, Intelligent Life - 1 vote
Those two people who picked Newspaper Spider-Man should be ashamed of themselves

Best webcomic:
1 (tie). Gunnerkrigg Court, Kill Six Million Demons - 2 votes
3 (tie). Atomic Robo, Bad Machinery, Cucumber Quest, Oglaf, Achewood, It Hurts - 1 vote

Worst webcomic:
1 (tie). Ctrl Alt Del, Penny Arcade - 2 votes
3 (tie). Homestuck, Moon Over June, Questionable Content, Single Female Protagonist, So You Want To Be A Cartoonist?, "Someone's weird TF gender bending fetish comic", Spinerette, "i dont know something with furries" - 1 vote

Best comics video game:
1. Batman: Arkham City - 3 votes
2 (tie). Batman: Arkham Asylum, Injustice 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - 2 votes
4 (tie). Marvel Heroes, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Spider-Man 2 - 1 vote

Worst comics video game:
1. Superman 64 - 4 votes
2. Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite - 3 votes
3. Marvel Heroes - 2 votes
4 (tie). Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis, Batman Forever (SNES), Superman (NES)

So the best possible score is 132 points! I'll be tabulating actual scores after I make dinner, so watch this space!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 8, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Can't believe I was the only one to vote for Spider-man 2 in Best Videogame. And no one picked Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Ya'll disrespecting the classics.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I meant to say Greg Pak, not Greg Land.

Also, for the record, I called Nazi Captain America "Steevil "Hydra Supreme" Rodgers"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Covok posted:

I meant to say Greg Pak, not Greg Land.

Also, for the record, I called Nazi Captain America "Steevil "Hydra Supreme" Rodgers"

Well, it wouldn't have helped you anyway, since we have a winner and it's Doctor Spaceman scoring 116 of 132 possible points! Let me know what forums upgrade you want. If you've got everything, we can figure something else out.

In second place is Big Bad Voodoo Lou with 107 points, and in third by tiebreaker is Yvonmukluk with 99 points!

The rest of the scores are as follows:
Roth - 48
Achillesforever6 - 93
Alhazred - 36
Bravest of the Lamps - 72
Bagrada - 84
peepee - 82
Covok - 72
Samuringa - 99
Lightning Lord - 91
Jordan Kai - 93

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Well, at least I got a cool medal

Covok
May 27, 2013

Who put the Joker as the worst super villain?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Me, I honestly didn't consider Nazi Captain America as a villain for some reason, it really is a better choice.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Can't believe I was the only one to vote for Spider-man 2 in Best Videogame. And no one picked Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Ya'll disrespecting the classics.

I didn't vote for my favourite in that section, I know thinking Asylum is better than City is the minority view.

E: Although if I had voted for Asylum it would have been the most popular :shepface:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
It's not really my favorite, I genuinely thought Spider-Man 2 still had some clout, 90% of my picks were wild guesses to what this board consensus could possibly be and the rest I phoned in.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Samuringa posted:

Well, at least I got a cool medal

What the hell tiebreaker did you put down that I beat you? I put something like 14 because I misunderstood the question!

I'll take it, though! 3rd is right after 2nd & 1st!

Also drat, how'd I forget Red Hood exists? I just went for Hal & Barry.

Also what up fellow Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 liker, whoever you are!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I had a good feeling I had this for sure, knowing the tastes of BSS. But congratulations to Doctor Spaceman!

I guess I let my hate for the Joker as a character blind me. Have you ever met any hardcore Joker fans who think he's a misunderstood rebellious rogue, who cheer for his murder sprees and root for his abusive relationship with Harley because "they're made for each other"? Some of the creepiest weirdos I've ever met.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What the hell tiebreaker did you put down that I beat you? I put something like 14 because I misunderstood the question!

I'll take it, though! 3rd is right after 2nd & 1st!

Also drat, how'd I forget Red Hood exists? I just went for Hal & Barry.

Also what up fellow Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 liker, whoever you are!

I didn't expect to actually get tied to anyone so I just put in 7 cause it's the lucky number.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I had a good feeling I had this for sure, knowing the tastes of BSS. But congratulations to Doctor Spaceman!

I guess I let my hate for the Joker as a character blind me. Have you ever met any hardcore Joker fans who think he's a misunderstood rebellious rogue, who cheer for his murder sprees and root for his abusive relationship with Harley because "they're made for each other"? Some of the creepiest weirdos I've ever met.

Doctor Spaceman let me know he has all the upgrades he wants and has passed the prize along to you. Since I can't PM you, you clearly don't have platinum. Want that?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I really overestimated the Beast hatred on this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Doctor Spaceman let me know he has all the upgrades he wants and has passed the prize along to you. Since I can't PM you, you clearly don't have platinum. Want that?

That is really kind and generous of both of you, but I really don't NEED it, especially since I didn't win. I appreciate you and your effort on putting this together, though!

• Locked thread