Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.

Steel wool, or a wire wheel on a rotary tool if it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TheKingslayer posted:

What's the best way to take rust off cast iron? I got two small lodge pans for a pittance at the thrift store and they need a little love.

In descending order of effectiveness:

Media blasting
Wire wheel
Wire brush
Brillo pad

If the corrosion isn’t too bad, even a regular scouring pad can work, and it generally won’t touch the seasoning unless you really get nuts with it.

I’m a big fan of media blasting, since you can get all of the old seasoning off and start from totally bare iron.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
electrolysis works too, its the least labor intensive way, especially if it's anything that isnt easy to access with a wire wheel or steel wool

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TheKingslayer posted:

How much rust? Dremel with a sanding pad, sanding pad, and a dust mask is all I used.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Brillo pads or steel wool and elbow grease work fine too, if you just wanna be cheap and it's not too bad.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
yeah it depends entirely on how bad the rust is. is it just, like, powder/discoloration with no pitting?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 8, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BraveUlysses posted:

electrolysis works too, its the least labor intensive way, especially if it's anything that isnt easy to access with a wire wheel or steel wool

There is the option of tossing it in the oven and running a clean cycle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Easy Off" oven cleaner spray. Spray all over (outside), put in a trash bag and wait a day. Rust and prior seasoning comes right off. Probably other sprays too.

Before:

After:

A little elbow grease took care of those remaining specs.

After 3 rounds of seasoning:

Same pan, 1 year later:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
But the one in the first picture looks wonderful :/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

McSpankWich posted:

But the one in the first picture looks wonderful :/

It's definitely fine to cook with, but look at the uneven finish, how there are bright spots. Those spots are unpolymerized oil, and that's what you're trying to avoid when seasoning.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, harsh close-up spoilered.

:gonk:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
My ten inch Lodge looks roughly 50x more uneven than that. Uh-oh.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's definitely fine to cook with

you could have stopped there

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Sorry if I offended you BrianBoitano, I was just trying to explain why it wasn't perfect to begin with.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

No offense taken. I thought it was decent until we moved and started storing something else nested with it. The grease that came off it was the last straw, and that's when I read about the "right" kinds of oil.

Did $20 organic flax initial seasoning, sunflower oil to cook & maintain. Much better than canola + not wiping dry.

E: Do grills get too hot to keep a cast iron style seasoning? I went ahead with coat 1 since I had the flax out for my grill pan.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This is probably a dumb question but are enameled cast iron pans better or worse than regular cast iron? It says the cooking surface is 'black matte enamel', is that like a nonstick coating? or more similar to raw cast iron?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

red19fire posted:

This is probably a dumb question but are enameled cast iron pans better or worse than regular cast iron? It says the cooking surface is 'black matte enamel', is that like a nonstick coating? or more similar to raw cast iron?

Not a dumb question; they're neither better nor worse, just different. An enameled coating means they're easier to clean, but it won't develop a seasoning like raw cast iron. They will both heat up pretty much the same since they're both cast iron. I have a regular cast iron pan, but my cast iron dutch oven is enameled. The enamel will also allow you to use whatever acidic ingredients you'd like without the fear of stripping away carefully-built seasoning, since none will develop on it.

I'm probably biased, but I think enamel makes more sense for a cooking vessel like a dutch oven, while raw cast iron is better for a stovetop piece like a pan or skillet where you will probably be in there with a spatula/tongs/etc constantly agitating the food. Enamel can chip if you're not too careful with it. It's not likely, but it can happen depending on the quality of the coating on the piece.

If you're just starting out with cast iron, I'd recommend going with a raw piece first, regardless of what type you get. It'll help familiarize yourself with its heating tendencies, it'll let you learn how to season a piece (protip: just cook with it), and raw cast iron is less expensive, as well.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

red19fire posted:

There isn't much difference between a normal cast iron pan and the "enameled" one you linked above. The cooking surface is the same but the exterior is prettier.

When most people say "enameled" cast iron, they're typically referring to a pan/dutch oven that is completely coated in enamel. See most every Le Creuset piece of cast iron. As others have said, they're very nice because you can cook anything in them without worrying about your precious seasoning. They do have limitations; I typically don't use them for high heat (450F+) searing like a steak, for example. However, they still work great at searing chicken skin, pot roasts, etc.

I personally have two regular cast iron pans (8" and 12" flat bottomed, dont bother with the "grill" style) and a lot of different Le Creuset pieces (I'm a brand whore).

I'd recommend the two size pans I have above, if you're only getting one, go bigger first. Second, I'd recommend a 5.5qt+ round enameled dutch oven with a lid. These are the two pieces in my house that get by far the most use. I have larger and I have smaller dutch ovens but for cooking for 2 with left overs in mind, the 5.5qt is great.

After that, I love my braisers, which substitute as great cast iron pans (without a handle).

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

man, i tried to boil pasta in my dutch oven because I figured “hey, it’s a pot, right?”

holy poo poo that took for loving ever to come to a boil. not doing that again

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My family recently got a new grill. What’s the best way to season the cast iron grate we got with it?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just cook on it.

Use a bunch of oil and fatty meats maybe?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When I grill I usually soak a paper towel with olive oil and brush the grill with it before tossing the food on. Steaks usually have enough fat on them that they won't stick regardless, but with things like chicken breasts it's a big help.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
Protip: No matter how many delicious waffles you are bribed with, never let somebody convince you to strip and reseason a waffle iron. Its a pain in the rear end and will make you jealous as all hell.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Got a carbon steel wok with some light rust on the inside and moderate rust on the outside that I'm gonna try easy offing, then covering in canola and baking a few times

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

My family recently got a new grill. What’s the best way to season the cast iron grate we got with it?

I might as well ask this again because I’m about to season the grate tonight, probably with either coconut oil or corn oil. Also we may be using solid coconut oil instead of liquid; I don’t know if there’s a difference but please tell me if there is.

Is this Serious Eats article a good resource for cast iron seasoning?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 5, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I might as well ask this again because I’m about to season the grate tonight, probably with either coconut oil or corn oil. Also we may be using solid coconut oil instead of liquid; I don’t know if there’s a difference but please tell me if there is.

Is this Serious Eats article a good resource for cast iron seasoning?
That's a good link, follow their advice and use corn oil. Wipe it down so there's no pooled up oil, then bake / wipe / bake / wipe / you get the idea.

Whenever you use the grill, just wipe it down with an oily paper towel afterwards. No need to use a wire brush if it's seasoned right.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The grate won’t fit in my oven. :negative:

I mean, it fits most of the way in, but we can’t get the door to close all the way.

EDIT: The oven can’t hold any heat at all and I’m gonna have to season the grate on the new grill. gently caress.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 5, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seasoning on grills works fine, really.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Best thing I did was convince my boss to let me take home a chunk of half inch steel from the metal shop I work at. Takes up about half the grill area. Sanded the mill scale off, cleaned it, cleaned it, and loving cleaned it, then seasoned it with canola, then bacon, and god drat do I love cooking on it.

Thanks for reading, get yourselves some steel

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2018

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Lodge is unloading their irregular stuff onto TjMaxx and Marshalls. I got a 10" skillet, round griddle, and reversible grilling pan for under $40 this week.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there any place to get aluminum frying pans without teflon? I don't want it getting in my food

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

$35 at Costco I think I'm going to get it

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The egg rings and silicon scrapers seem pretty useless, you might want to look at a thrift store and save $33.

EDIT: If you're using the price to justify the purchase, I mean. If you want it, go hog wild ofc.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Check your local Marshalls/Home Goods/TJ Maxx, mine has a bunch of griddles for less than $20.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

moller posted:

The egg rings and silicon scrapers seem pretty useless, you might want to look at a thrift store and save $33.

EDIT: If you're using the price to justify the purchase, I mean. If you want it, go hog wild ofc.

Nah those plastic scrapers are great. I have some that came with a baking stone and use it on my skillet all the time.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I’ve bought a couple, but they end up chipping and falling apart fairly quickly. Now the chainmail scrubber on the other hand :getin:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah don't get me wrong board scrapers are cool as hell, but they're also generally pretty cheap and not much of a value-add to the Costco combo pack thing.

I used to use a board scraper to open iPods for battery replacement.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do you need to grease up the silicone molds like metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

do you need to grease up the silicone molds like metal?

Probably not but it can't hurt and butter tastes good?