Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Lou is bad and I hope he gets vanished when his contract is up. The Leafs need to upgrade on defence and I want those decisions way the gently caress away from Lou.

I'm kind of amazed they haven't dealt from forward depth and acquired a couple decent D-men, I guess they're gonna wait for the deadline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm kind of amazed they haven't dealt from forward depth and acquired a couple decent D-men, I guess they're gonna wait for the deadline

I'm sure they've been trying.

A deal for a stud like Gudbranson takes time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

I'm sure they've been trying.

A deal for a stud like Gudbranson takes time.

I doubt the team needs jellybeans and jujubes that bad

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Boston is better than probably anyone in the metro.

And now I have to go wash my hands after typing that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I hear Brent Seabrook can bring Cup winning talent and confidence to any D corps...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

I hear Brent Seabrook can bring Cup winning talent and confidence to any D corps...

You joke but he's better than most of their D corps

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Martytoof posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about bad management?

Bad management is the Cup drought, when the talent disappears for years and children are born and live and die without seeing a proper first line centre. That is the time of bad management, Call your Grandma, when the inept francophones pick up the telephone. Dozens of years ago there came a drought that lasted a generation. Goalies disappeared to win cups elsewhere, same as talent that was traded away for peanuts. And the women raised their babies as Nashville fans rather than see them starve for good hockey, and wept and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks.

*thinks about Dave Nonis, Randy Carlyle, Brian Burke, John Ferguson, Ron Wilson, Paul Maurice...*

:lol:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about bad management?

Bad management is the Cup drought, when the talent disappears for years and children are born and live and die without seeing a proper first line centre. That is the time of bad management, Call your Grandma, when the inept francophones pick up the telephone. Dozens of years ago there came a drought that lasted a generation. Goalies disappeared to win cups elsewhere, same as talent that was traded away for peanuts. And the women raised their babies as Nashville fans rather than see them starve for good hockey, and wept and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks.

You dare doubt this man?

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/950151559823978497

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We decided to go to the gophers game tonight, the spectators are hilarious. They actually talk about plays and why something happened and instead of shooooot! it's "ooh dats a nice wrister"

And during shoot the puck they're talking how hard it is to shoot on shoes.

Hockey with knowledgeable fans is way better.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The crazy part is it can absolutely hurt him, confidence is key to young players

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'd like to take this opportunity to say gently caress TODD BERTUZZI

Ditto!

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

You dare doubt this man?

The Athletic article is chock full of gold https://theathletic.com/205729/2018/01/07/basu-the-drama-surrounding-the-no-1-centre-position-continues-to-define-bergevins-tenure/

Marc Bergevin posted:

“I’ve been here for six years, I’ve seen Alex every day,” Bergevin said that day. “Centreman’s a tough position, demanding. I’m sure as we speak today Alex is not able to play that position every day. I don’t need 10 more tries. I know he’s not. If at some point it changes, some guys figure it out later on and it’s possible that he does. But as we speak today it’s not the case.”

Bergevin omits that 4.5 of those 6 years had Therrien jerking around and loving up the development of Galchenyuk, and every other player under the age of 28.

I am barfing.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
So where will Jagr end up after Calgary terminates his contact?

I'd like to take this opportunity to say gently caress TODD BERTUZZI

Truth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/hayyyshayyy/status/950181233933324290

:stare:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I wish Jaden Schwartz and Robby Fabbri were healthy

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The crazy part is it can absolutely hurt him, confidence is key to young players

It's not just confidence, experience in a position helps a lot. Zone entries and neutral zone defense are different for wingers than for centers, and some less talented players have made a career out of being able to do simple positional things really well - Brandon Prust standing guys up or pasting them to the boards in the neutral zone despite not having great hands or skating comes to mind. Obviously, a lot of players do adjust and change positions, but it seems this obviously isn't one of them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LumpyGumby posted:

So where will Jagr end up after Calgary terminates his contact?

Which teams hasn't he played for yet (other than Columbus)?

What happened? Did he finally run out of gas or does Calgary not see him as a fit?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He got injured and he's not really healing because he's old.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Pens good. Still please don't trade that first JR.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HABS ARE BACK BABY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hahaha no I’m just kidding guys Habs still bad. I took the oilers joke and I replaced oilers with Habs!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Looking at the boxscore I see that Karl Alzner scored a goal. :lol: Shaaaaaame on you Vancouver

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Zodijackylite posted:

Sorry, nobody could take this good draft away from the Vancouver Canucks.
(3/4 are no longer with the team)

mackenze stewart was in fact such a horrific pick that it invalidates all the other picks in this draft

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

the talent deficit posted:

mackenze stewart was in fact such a horrific pick that it invalidates all the other picks in this draft

I heard he's a real team player. There is no I in Mackenze.

I just Googled him and this headline says it all: "Canucks hope to turn newly signed Mackenze Stewart into a winger"

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
The Golden Knights have been better and more fun than I could ever imagine before the season

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I really don't buy the "magical underdog" narrative some people push about Las Vegas. There's a salary cap, friendly expansion draft rules, and to be honest, little difference between the top and bottom of the league except for extreme outliers like Arizona and Buffalo. They weren't going to be the Capitals, Sharks, or Senators.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Vegas kind of needs to go ahead and win the President's Trophy at this point. Wouldn't even surprise me if they do end up with it too.

Martytoof posted:

HABS ARE BACK BABY

Oh gently caress I know this joke too. Always gets a laugh. :haw:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ElwoodCuse posted:

I really don't buy the "magical underdog" narrative some people push about Las Vegas. There's a salary cap, friendly expansion draft rules, and to be honest, little difference between the top and bottom of the league except for extreme outliers like Arizona and Buffalo. They weren't going to be the Capitals, Sharks, or Senators.

I agree that the league is more competitive than it would seem based on standings and that it was clearly wrong to assume that Vegas would just immediately finish 31st. But, even if the overwhelming consensus was that Vegas would be a playoff bubble team (which is a generous prediction considering that their roster is an outlier like Buffalo and Arizona), they’re currently leading their conference by 3+ points with games in hand and they’re only 3 points behind Tampa (whose roster is an outlier in the other direction). And they’ve been doing this with a rotating cast of dead goalies. Maybe not miraculous, but still pretty magical.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ovie's strategy for success against the blues: poo poo when you can.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reminder that you guys thought the player protection rules were bad for Vegas and discussed several times how it was designed to cripple the team out of the gate.

And also liked Dustin Brown and the Kings.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think Vegas is doing well for a few reasons:
1. Multiple players who the general consensus on was "Yea, they're pretty good, but can they be a top-6 forward/top pairing guy now that they're not on *insert team*?" turned out to be legit. Karlsson, Marchessault, Miller, Schmidt, Theodore, and Smith all come to mind here. Not sure if this was luck or a credit to Vegas' scouting/GMGM, but I think most people would have expected one or two of these players to pan out, not literally all of them.
2. Goaltending is way better than it has any right to be. Fleury is not this good. Subban's numbers are more reasonable but still in "elite" territory and I'm not sold that he's actually that good yet, but he's young so he might be.
3. I think their depth wins them a lot of games or at least keeps them in them. There's no real stars on the team but almost every forward is easily middle six on any roster in the NHL, and almost every defenseman would easily slot in on the second pairing for most teams. There aren't really any combos that get pushed around since all of them are at least decent.

On another note, after years and years of having 0-1 players hit 100 points in a season, it's pretty cool that there are maybe a dozen players with a shot (some more likely than others) at it this year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Looking at the boxscore I see that Karl Alzner scored a goal. :lol: Shaaaaaame on you Vancouver

It was soft as gently caress, too

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought Vegas would be a bubble team if they drafted BPA. Then they picked dudes liked Pebbles and Sbisa and I thought they would suck.

Woops

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This deadline is gonna be hilarious with Chiarelli, Dorion and Bergevin all being sellers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Vegas still try to swing as much talent out the door as possible, or do they try to be buyers?

They might get a 1st rounder for a couple people

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Does Vegas still try to swing as much talent out the door as possible, or do they try to be buyers?

They might get a 1st rounder for a couple people

If you buy that they're just riding hot and their true talent is a below average team then it's strategically right to sell. On the other hand they're a new team leading the conference so it's probably actually immoral to sell. Maybe they have room to move one of the 10 NHL(ish) defencemen they drafted thinking they could trade them in the offseason.

However, they really, really should not buy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

If you buy that they're just riding hot and their true talent is a below average team then it's strategically right to sell. On the other hand they're a new team leading the conference so it's probably actually immoral to sell. Maybe they have room to move one of the 10 NHL(ish) defencemen they drafted thinking they could trade them in the offseason.

However, they really, really should not buy.

Yeah I'd probably just stand pat if I were them and ride the wave. Don't sell because that's unfair to the fans and the team but don't buy either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Vegas should probably be a seller for the sake of long-term stability/building a stable of good prospects, but I can also totally see their management buying into the hype.

If I was their GM I'd probably do nothing to be honest, maybe make a trade or two if someone is overpaying. I would absolute not be a buyer. Given how much they've already achieved this year they might as well see what the team can do. A playoff appearance is going to do more for the growing fanbase/credibility of the franchise than getting a few first round picks, and they can still sell at the draft, albeit for probably not as much as at the deadline.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

On the subject of Vegas, this is all I have to contribute to the conversation.

https://twitter.com/KevinAllahbanc/status/950227388691984385

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vegas should pick up Jagr

• Locked thread