Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Zo posted:

bad charity, bad stream, bad runs, bad commentary

bad post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JesseHechtCREATIVE posted:

What's a good speedrun to show new people? People who don't know about speedrunning or gaming. Thanks, guys. :)

Mario 64 would be my go to, though if they don't know anything about gaming they might not really understand the technique that goes into a good run.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sub only mode seems to be raking in the prime subs from non regulars with Amazon prime that haven't used their tokens

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What's a good speedrun to show new people? People who don't know about speedrunning or gaming. Thanks, guys. :)

Show them a speedrun of a game they like.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

They don't play games at all? I feel like the best hook for speedrunning is finding a game someone thinks they know well and showing he or she a speedrun of that game.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

The Tetris exhibitions might be a good call, nobody is ignorant of Tetris.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Maybe a speedrun of Super Mario Bros? Everybody has played SMB.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

are you looking for a good speedrun or a good GDQ run with commentary?

for the former, Mario 64 0 Stars is a pretty good short "what the gently caress is going on" kind of video

for the latter, CovertMuffin's Jedi Knight 2 run is a pretty good "I'm explaining thing as I go along" kind of deal that's entertaining and not 3 hours of :spergin:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Amppelix posted:

If you want some fun/annoyance/whatever other emotion this may induce, here's almost a thousand people being very mad that the twitch chat isn't as terrible as it is usually https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/7oreaa/agdq_chat_in_submode_only/

holy poo poo the entire subreddit is filled with garbage right now.

breitbart link it or something? jesus christ

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Anyone doing Mario 64

Or if you want to ease them in with something less mind boggling, start with anything from PJ, MechaRichter, Klaige, Murphigator, or Blechy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

axeil posted:

holy poo poo the entire subreddit is filled with garbage right now.

breitbart link it or something? jesus christ

It's always like this. Capital-G Gamers love to hate GDQs. They hate being told not to swear, they hate being told not to be racist/sexist, they hate that GDQ allows women and trans people to be on screen, etc.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Popped back in on work break, thanks guys for the game suggestions. What I've been ahowing people before was Super Punch Out Blindfolded but now it'll be Mario 64.

Can't check now, but did Aladdin meet the incentive? Thanks, all. :)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

It's always like this. Capital-G Gamers love to hate GDQs. They hate being told not to swear, they hate being told not to be racist/sexist, they hate that GDQ allows women and trans people to be on screen, etc.

Gamers are trash and should be purged from the internet, good lord.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A male America Chavez?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Popped back in on work break, thanks guys for the game suggestions. What I've been ahowing people before was Super Punch Out Blindfolded but now it'll be Mario 64.

Can't check now, but did Aladdin meet the incentive? Thanks, all. :)

I think aladdin is about 80% met.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Scalding Coffee posted:

A male America Chavez?

You heathen, that's beloved comic book supervillain, Cocknocker!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Made a mistake. A male Ms. Marvel.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

The Lobster posted:

Maybe a speedrun of Super Mario Bros? Everybody has played SMB.

I haven't. :smuggo:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Well whose fault is that?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Good morning friends. Any good stuff between Hollow knight and now?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Slickdrac posted:

Thanks for the too tired;didn't watch recap.

I feel like tracking donation stats and doing analysis numbers, right now, it's just the hourly values and the pace it puts us on.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3KTgd6Qz5c5PMPKSqdUjZmcq4EbsNPk5gGa0EIfkSo/edit#gid=0

Anything anyone particularly would be curious about? I'm thinking each hour's average over the week (ex: 1-2 AM each day, 1-2 PM each day), whole day average, game by game amounts, and maybe some kind of formula that gives a "balanced" amount per game based on the hourly averages (basically, games in the middle of the night don't get as much, even if they are good, what would they get if they were midday).

Cross posting this since other thread is too fast and it'll get missed by morning crew.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts9Ne_SEWyM

Best watched at around 2 am.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The other thread moves too fast, are there any runs particularly worth watching?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I still maintain that Halfcoordinated's Transformers run is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APVsIGyX7sM

Impressive skill, clear commentary, relatively short, and, if all else fails, really dumb puns and everyone cracking up and slash or groaning. I've gotten two people to watch the whole way through. Then they started quoting the dumbest puns and I regretted everything.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

axeil posted:

Gamers are trash and should be purged from the internet, good lord.

Good morning everyone, I really don't like these kinds of posts, I think they are silly and damaging to us all. It's weird that every single person here because of what we're enjoying this week can be considered a "gamer" for sure, but we're using that term now as a weird self-flagellation because we don't like aspects of the community? That's giving that mentality we don't like the win and full permission to let that behavior take ownership and define how we interact with each other. Please stop it. Every single fanbase on earth is overflowing with shitheads and gaming is the first time I've ever seen people en mass just give up. I'd rather be optimistic, like what I like and enjoy things with people I like without this elitist shame-fest I see going on.

What I fear with SA is an arms race out-do each other with this BS and eventually become this sad person, joyless rear end in a top hat:

Feel free to make fun of me for this, but I think my point is solid and uplifting. I hope you all have a great day and enjoy speedruns and posts and don't let the bad stuff get you down :)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's pretty much why I'd prefer to have the emphasis on nice things and good times these events bring and less about the negative reactions that the vocal minority tends to have.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

beep by grandpa posted:

Feel free to make fun of me for this, but I think my point is solid and uplifting. I hope you all have a great day and enjoy speedruns and posts and don't let the bad stuff get you down :)

nah I agree

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
YEAH, it's TMR time!

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I really recommend people checking out the Coop contra run. Some really good gameplay to the point where they were completely in sync for some points plus TMR has some great reactions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Contra coop was pretty rad.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

beep by grandpa posted:

Good morning everyone, I really don't like these kinds of posts, I think they are silly and damaging to us all. It's weird that every single person here because of what we're enjoying this week can be considered a "gamer" for sure, but we're using that term now as a weird self-flagellation because we don't like aspects of the community? That's giving that mentality we don't like the win and full permission to let that behavior take ownership and define how we interact with each other. Please stop it. Every single fanbase on earth is overflowing with shitheads and gaming is the first time I've ever seen people en mass just give up. I'd rather be optimistic, like what I like and enjoy things with people I like without this elitist shame-fest I see going on.

What I fear with SA is an arms race out-do each other with this BS and eventually become this sad person, joyless rear end in a top hat:

How long have you had that post saved in a text file?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My posts only come straight from my heart :)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I agree. :3:

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

beep by grandpa posted:

My posts only come straight from my heart :)

can you put it in a pastebin

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My shortlist of recommendations so far:

- Skyrim (it's a marvelous trainwreck and a broken game)
- Contra (some excellent co-oping)
- Aladdin (impressive tech and singing)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

My shortlist of recommendations so far:

- Skyrim (it's a marvelous trainwreck and a broken game)
- Contra (some excellent co-oping)
- Aladdin (impressive tech and singing)

I missed everything between Arkham Asylum and Aladdin. Stupid having to sleep for work.

I'll make sure to watch Contra!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bringing this over here so Data Chat doesn't clog up funposting

This data is great

Looks like yesterday evening was incredibly strong (compared to AGDQ '17) up until what, 11pm when it started to drop off in a big way. The first night overnight block was relatively strong in '17 in comparison to this year

'17 11pm-4am: $16,001
'18 11pm-4am: $7,055

In those overnight time slots last year were

MGS 2
Devil May Cry
Silent Hill 4

This year was

Part of Arkham Asylum
Littlebigplanet 2
Prinny 2
Battleblock Theater

Obviously looking at the data without a full 2018 is borderline meaningless, but last year's first night was definitely like, "Gamer Games"

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Chaos option: Animorphs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
If people feel the pain of lack of tetris, I thoroughly recommend the Wario Woods run by Peteyboo. Really good couch with informative and fun content (LISTS) and super sleek gameplay.

• Locked thread