Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Might as well legalize pedophilia." -Terry Wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

I simultaneously applaud and groan this pun.

We're in the timeline where the President is going to appear on tv proudly holding a certificate from his doctor declaring him not crazy, aren't we.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Polygynous posted:

I simultaneously applaud and groan this pun.

We're in the timeline where the President is going to appear on tv proudly holding a certificate from his doctor declaring him not crazy, aren't we.

And close-up shots will reveal the certificate is actually an informational sheet from an erectile dysfunction clinic.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Terry Wise is unironically standing up for people who shoot children, because he finds the alternative too frightening to consider

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

On top of the message being aggressively stupid, the visual metaphor makes no sense. The Clintons eat...scandals?

nm posted:

Not really:

http://www.ppic.org/publication/crime-trends-in-california/

AB109, which was the biggest anti-overcrowding measure took effect in November 2010. This actually didn't have any early releases, despite the media reporting otherwise. It just kept people from being sent to prison. This is the one that the law enforcement groups talk about the most.
The most recent Prop 36, which changed 3 strikes, was 2012. It did lead to the possibility of early release.
Prop 47 made simple drug possession a misdemeanor in 2014. While this probably lead to so early releases, due to AB109 and the older P36 (2000), this was likely a small population.
Prop 57 will lead to early releases, but hasn't really taken full effect. Most of the regulations were put in place by August 1, 2017, and none before April 1, 2017, so it isn't going to show up on stats. Particularly because it gives credits fro course competitions and the like, so people will have to work for a few years to really see huge decreases in sentences.

You wouldn't know that violence crime rate increased only modestly, but still is at amazingly low rates, and that property crime was on the decline based on most reporting. "A crime didn't happen" doesn't make for a great news story.

Please also note that an increase in "robberies" was likely a large contributor to the increase in violent crime. California has what is called an "Estes Robbery" which is shoplifting except that you push a security guard or the like. Because AB109 made theft under $950 a misdemeanor, DAs are more likely to make robbery charges on estes shoplifts. I don't know if this is the case everywhere (and it would be hard to run stats on), but we definitely saw in increase in estes robbery charges after ab109 when I was a public defender.
Thanks, this is interesting. I would like to see a breakdown at the city level rather than statewide though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

On top of the message being aggressively stupid, the visual metaphor makes no sense. The Clintons eat...scandals?

Thanks, this is interesting. I would like to see a breakdown at the city level rather than statewide though.

If you click the link they have a county wide summary.
http://www.ppic.org/data-set/crime-rates-in-california/
I wish this was broken out a little better and included more than 1 year of stats.

Also note that the increase in opiod abuse occurs during basically the same time.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 7, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Reminder that the Gay Abortions nominations are open till Wednesday, midnight eastern time.. If ya haven't nominated anything yet you got a few days left.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Terry Wise is unironically standing up for people who shoot children, because he finds the alternative too frightening to consider

Shooting children is kind of like beating them, so of course he is 100% in favor

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh, all those children injured and killed by guns?? That only happens because of IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners, the existence of whom doesn't affect my argument because

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope (1):

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton: Victorians are scared to go to restaurants because of African street gangs.

Pope (2):

Leak:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

he has risen?!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

I've been wondering about this for a while but why does Pope always draw Turnbull with that tin can Top hat?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost

BLeak to the Future

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

I've been wondering about this for a while but why does Pope always draw Turnbull with that tin can Top hat?
Everyone draws Turnbull with a top hat because he's incredibly rich. Pope's tin can top hat is because Turnbull used to be Communications Minister where his main act was to take the previous government's National Broadband Network scheme and turn it into complete shite.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Remember Clovis? Well, here's some recent toons. Remember that unlike KillerJunglist, my grasp of Jamaican politics are based on whatever scraps of news I can find, so take everything with a hearty grain of salt.

This is probably self-explanatory, but Jamaica had over 1600 murders in 2017. Which is pretty high when you consider the country has a population roughly the same size as Kansas.

Chris Gayle is a cricket player who apparently has been having a rough go of things.

Clovis still an rear end in a top hat about LGBT people (look at the soldier's shoes).

Ida Troupe celebrated her 117th birthday, which ties her with the current (verifiable) recordand makes her the current oldest living person in the world.

Human Rights...the greatest murderer of us all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

can't have any survivors, can we

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

mercenarynuker posted:

What exactly was Payne's take on the NFL protests? Cuz that would be an incredible disconnect

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That's some great human anatomy you drew there Payne

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, scarecrows look NOTHING like that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How dare all those white football players diss the flag

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Holy poo poo that "Me" Heart and dollar sign tattoos. Fuuuuuuuck off Payne.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If you're rich, you can't protest inequality because you're hypocritical.

If you're poor, you can't protest inequality because you're just jealous.

There's a common theme here. :thunk:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Pants Donkey posted:

Right, so... We should legalise paedophilia, drink-driving, cocaine and meth...?

also lol "two people talking" cartoon, what an innovative medium

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lord Hydronium posted:

If you're rich, you can't protest inequality because you're hypocritical.

If you're poor, you can't protest inequality because you're just jealous.

There's a common theme here. :thunk:

:thermidor:?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Look at that loving innocent Dutton. The man who runs Australia's offshore torture detention camps. The scary black people in that cartoon are supposed to be representative of the "apex gang" which 1. isn't a threat at all 2. was predominantly Australian born kids and not linked with ethnicity.

This is the real Dutton:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I'm confused, the first two are idiotic bullshit, but the third one is spot on? I take it Payne is one of the "return to decorum" Republicans? Or am I reading it wrong?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

hooman posted:

Look at that loving innocent Dutton. The man who runs Australia's offshore torture detention camps. The scary black people in that cartoon are supposed to be representative of the "apex gang" which 1. isn't a threat at all 2. was predominantly Australian born kids and not linked with ethnicity.

This is the real Dutton:

Why would any politician let themselves be photographed in this lightning? It makes literally anyone look evil!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ryonguy posted:

I'm confused, the first two are idiotic bullshit, but the third one is spot on? I take it Payne is one of the "return to decorum" Republicans? Or am I reading it wrong?
Yeah he'll do one or two "Trump is such a rude boy!!" comics, but then turn around and do a "WHY IS THE MEDIA SO OBSESSED WITH TRUMP?" cartoon without a shred of irony.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would any politician let themselves be photographed in this lightning? It makes literally anyone look evil!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

ryonguy posted:

No, but Payne is more of a grumpy contrarian in the Mac or Rall mode than someone upset over the dignity of the party/office.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you want context, Dutton was about to give a press conference where he blamed the continuing suicides on Nauru through self-immolation on refugee advocates.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

hooman posted:

This is the real Dutton:

Does Conan do the IN THE YEAR on TBS? I havent watched his new stuff other than the first few TBS episodes and his Confused Gamer videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzxq7h_WsAo

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

loquacius posted:

Lessig doesn't even have the excuse of being uninformed w/r/t how the line of succession works, and he still thinks HRC would get to be President if Trump goes down

Because "would" and "should" are the same word, right? And he doesn't talk about how absurdly unlikely those last steps are!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Pants Donkey posted:

Has anyone credible actually called for a ban on all guns?
Most pro-gun control people I know just want to ban the ones that shouldn't exist outside of a war zone.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

the_steve posted:

Has anyone credible actually called for a ban on all guns?
Most pro-gun control people I know just want to ban the ones that shouldn't exist outside of a war zone.

Actually, I think that you'll find that gun licencing is exactly as bad as a blanket ban on all fire arms, because both violate the 2nd amendment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!