Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

It's finally time to replace my old Ikea desk with something that isn't particle board garbage, but I'm having trouble finding a replacement. All I want is a large, flat surface, no bigger than 30" x 60". I had been thinking of building my own desk but I bought a house and I've got side projects coming out my ears already.

The Herman Miller Envelop looks interesting but it's expensive and I don't think it's wide enough (at 45") to comfortably support 2x 24" monitors on arms and still have enough space for desk speakers and the other occasional thing (like a cup of coffee).

I've been looking at small dining room tables and stuff from local stores since they seem to be the closest thing to what I want but a big slab of stained sealed maple with simple metal legs are generally in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark which is a bit much.

Are there any mass produced computer desks that aren't trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

titaniumone posted:

It's finally time to replace my old Ikea desk with something that isn't particle board garbage, but I'm having trouble finding a replacement. All I want is a large, flat surface, no bigger than 30" x 60". I had been thinking of building my own desk but I bought a house and I've got side projects coming out my ears already.

The Herman Miller Envelop looks interesting but it's expensive and I don't think it's wide enough (at 45") to comfortably support 2x 24" monitors on arms and still have enough space for desk speakers and the other occasional thing (like a cup of coffee).

I've been looking at small dining room tables and stuff from local stores since they seem to be the closest thing to what I want but a big slab of stained sealed maple with simple metal legs are generally in the $1500 - $2000 ballpark which is a bit much.

Ikea sells solid wood furniture too. I don't know if you want to avoid Ikea or avoid particleboard, but if you just want to avoid particleboard, the below link is for an Ikea desk, with dimensions of a little under 30" x 60" and made from solid beechwood, for a little over $200.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09046433/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I took one of the beefy ikea tops and put it on this

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Management-Adjustable-Workstation-DESK-V103E/dp/B073K1JSW7

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

titaniumone posted:

I have this in Tuscan (the only good color.) It can't fit a monitor arm, but it is loving gorgeous in person.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
I found a warehouse nearby with old Steelcase desks for ~$150, highly recommend.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I got two workbench tops from home depot and some pipes to bolt on for legs. Turned out great and now I have a huge desk with tons of flat space to clutter up with toys and computer crap. The pipes ended up being the more expensive part and I could've used fewer of them to save on costs, but I'm really happy with it.

Here is the workbench top I got (it was on sale at the time): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Solid-Wood-Top-for-6-ft-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-G7200AS-US/206497844

Have some pictures! Apologies if I've posted some of these before.

The bottom of the workbench top:

Building the leg frames:

(Some were pre-cut segments and the longer pieces were cut for me at Home Depot, which took forever by the way)

The desk completed and in place:

After ~6 months or so:

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

titaniumone posted:

I used an Envelop desk with an Embody chair (important). You can fit 2x24" on there, but you'll need a special monitor arm, specifically a Zorro monitor arm with a low-profile clasp. Call an authorized HM reseller to find the specific P/N otherwise no monitor arm will fit because of the cord carrying tray in the back of the desk. I like the rubber (?) infield, but unless you intend on reclining with an Embody the ergonomics on it suck outside that specific configuration. Any other chair will butt into the edge of the desk, so you can't get as close as you would with an Embody that has a skinny contour in the middle.

Have you looked into an Uplift desk? You can always DIY a top and buy just the legs/control board from Human Solution. I've got a big fat maple top on the first-gen Uplift 800. My only regret is not buying a 900.

Humanscale keyboard tray + Ergotron monitor arm + Uplift desk and you've got a solution that'll last a long time. I'm 6 years in and everything is still in great shape.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

titaniumone posted:

the envelop owns but probably won’t work if you’ve man child and convinced yourself you need two monitors for some weird reason

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

TenementFunster posted:

the envelop owns but probably won’t work if you’ve man child and convinced yourself you need two monitors for some weird reason

I am, and I have

nem posted:

I used an Envelop desk with an Embody chair
but unless you intend on reclining with an Embody the ergonomics on it suck outside that specific configuration

I have an Embody, which is part of why I was curious about the envelop. I don't know how much I'd actually use it leaned back so although it looks cool, odds are it would probably not be the right choice. Having to replace my existing monitor mount with another expensive one in addition to the cost of the desk is probably the end of it for me then. Very helpful, thanks.

To those suggesting getting a nice surface and mating it with legs -- all good ideas, but I can't be hosed to even do that much, I bought a 70 year old house last year and there are more than enough projects to keep me plenty busy. I definitely want something where I can just be a lazy piece of poo poo and click "Add to cart" :shrug:

The Uplift and most other sit-stand desks are very close to what I'd want design-wise, other than the sit-stand legs. I know that I'll never, ever use the stand configuration (lazy man child etc), so it would work but feels like a waste.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
it’s a great desk just not for nerds. you could probably pull off your idiot nerd monitor bullshit with one, but it will look stupid. then again, dual monitors always look stupid so go for it

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I've looked stupid for over 30 years, if I stopped now I don't know what would happen

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
2 monitors looks fine. Some weird rage going on with that comment.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TenementFunster posted:

it’s a great desk just not for nerds. you could probably pull off your idiot nerd monitor bullshit with one, but it will look stupid. then again, dual monitors always look stupid so go for it
You sound cool.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Dual monitors always look dumb side by side. Either the bezels are set in the middle of your work area at which point you are never not craning your neck like an idiot no matter which one you’re looking at, or you have a “main“ monitor and another big dumb monitor off to one side which looks just as ridiculous. The best way to do dual monitors is to stack them vertically... which is still kind of dumb.

So basically the only proper way to use more than one monitor is to use at least three.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

we're hating on dual monitors?

What about triple monitors with RGB everywhere

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

So basically the only proper way to use more than one monitor is to use at least three.

Agreed. I've found 3 24" 1080 monitors to be the best setup. Higher resolutions don't give me the same ease of snapping windows around, and there are many programs that I run full-screen, which looks dumb currently at anything higher than 1080.

I'm talking about real work here. If you just browse SA and play video games, another setup may be better.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Photex posted:

we're hating on dual monitors?

Just look at his post history in here.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Dual monitors always look dumb side by side. Either the bezels are set in the middle of your work area at which point you are never not craning your neck like an idiot no matter which one you’re looking at, or you have a “main“ monitor and another big dumb monitor off to one side which looks just as ridiculous. The best way to do dual monitors is to stack them vertically... which is still kind of dumb.

Why not four? :eng101:

(4x27" - pic taken right after I moved into my new apartment, it's more cluttered now :v: )

I lust for an ultrawide setup with two 27"s on top.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wibla posted:

Why not four? :eng101:

(4x27" - pic taken right after I moved into my new apartment, it's more cluttered now :v: )

I lust for an ultrawide setup with two 27"s on top.

you see like a prime candidate for dual 21:9 monitors stacked

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
wow, those are all cringey desks. really embarrassing poo poo. i assume none of you have women in your lives

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TenementFunster posted:

wow, those are all cringey desks. really embarrassing poo poo. i assume none of you have women in your lives

Got a hot wife and two monitors. How the gently caress did I do this!?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Photex posted:

you see like a prime candidate for dual 21:9 monitors stacked

I'm not sure... I'd have to try one 21:9 first and see how much I like it.

But I could get a 34" and then use two 27" vertical or something...

You know how it goes... once you get enough pixels it's hard to let them go.

TenementFunster posted:

I looked at your post history, I'm not sure you're one to talk. About anything :v:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Wibla posted:

I'm not sure... I'd have to try one 21:9 first and see how much I like it.

But I could get a 34" and then use two 27" vertical or something...

You know how it goes... once you get enough pixels it's hard to let them go.

You'll love it. Hth.

I went from PLP 20"/30"/20" (4960x1600) to just a 30" (2560x1600) and now I'm rocking a 38" ultrawide that's 3840x1600. It's hard to let pixels go, it's even harder to accept bezels back.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
about how long of a surface would i need for a 2 person desk if both workstations are against the same wall?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Parachute posted:

about how long of a surface would i need for a 2 person desk if both workstations are against the same wall?

i like 6ft desks a lot so I would say 12ft but i mean, im currently sitting in front of a 4.5ft desk at work :v:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wibla posted:

I looked at your post history, I'm not sure you're one to talk. About anything :v:

wouldn't be surprised if TF quit the forums forever after that burn

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Parachute posted:

I know I just talked smack about dual monitor setups, but your question entirely depends on how many monitors there will be in total, whether they’ll be on floating mounts, much space you will want for non-computer stuff, etc.

So what will the setups look like?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Theophany posted:

You'll love it. Hth.

I went from PLP 20"/30"/20" (4960x1600) to just a 30" (2560x1600) and now I'm rocking a 38" ultrawide that's 3840x1600. It's hard to let pixels go, it's even harder to accept bezels back.

One of the things I like about 4x27" is that it's fairly easy to divide things across the different monitors - but at the same time I don't run out of pixels (heh) when working on stuff on one monitor. Hard to beat that without going 38" 3840x1600 or similar.

That being said, I don't really use the last few horizontal inches on either of the side monitors (IRC on the right, discord/misc other things on the left), so I'd probably be fine with a 38" :haw:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I know I just talked smack about dual monitor setups, but your question entirely depends on how many monitors there will be in total, whether they’ll be on floating mounts, much space you will want for non-computer stuff, etc.

So what will the setups look like?

1 monitor each, no mounts or computer stuff unless we are talking about procreating or perhaps a small pizza feast

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

at the date posted:

wouldn't be surprised if TF quit the forums forever after that burn
i just surrendered my account to lowtax. dual monitors are actually good now.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Has anyone hacked up the back of their desk to make room for the clamp hardware for an arm? Most of the cheapish $2-300 desks that I've seen have a back to them which looks like it will be in the way.

I'm looking for a medium, <60", L shaped deal with drawers/filling space if anyone has any suggestions...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

rizzo1001 posted:

Has anyone hacked up the back of their desk to make room for the clamp hardware for an arm? Most of the cheapish $2-300 desks that I've seen have a back to them which looks like it will be in the way.

I'm looking for a medium, <60", L shaped deal with drawers/filling space if anyone has any suggestions...

It's not really what you asked, but the best way to mount the monitor arms is to drill a hole through the tabletop and anchor it with a bolt through the bottom. The clamps are typically wobbly and not very secure. This is less noticeable with the dual mounts or other arms where you can't move the monitor very far away from the vertical arm, but ultimately, to make them somewhat secure, they have to be clamped down to the point where the desk surface is going to get marred anyway.

I had to get over my hesitation to drill a hole in the desk by realizing that desks/desk surfaces aren't that expensive, and I don't see much changing in the monitor arm technology space to make me feel bad that they are permanent.

The arms I use are: https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Articulating-STAND-V001/dp/B00B21TLQU

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Ah, unfortunately the Silverstone arm I have (which I like and spent too much money on to match my case) doesn't have the grommet mounting option/hardware. Stupid desks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

rizzo1001 posted:

Don't IKEA have something that would work for you?

Don't get their Bekant elevation desks, by the way. They have a weird wobble where the top of the desk isn't secured tightly that IKEA consider a wontfix for who knows what reason.

I can totally understand your hesitation to drill in your desk; I am too much of a purist to do it myself. With some desks, though, you can always replace the top at a later point.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

ufarn posted:

Don't IKEA have something that would work for you?

Don't get their Bekant elevation desks, by the way. They have a weird wobble where the top of the desk isn't secured tightly that IKEA consider a wontfix for who knows what reason.

I can totally understand your hesitation to drill in your desk; I am too much of a purist to do it myself. With some desks, though, you can always replace the top at a later point.

Do you mean the sit/stand desks because I have a normal corner version of the BEKANT and I don't find it wobbles excessively.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
Ikea doesn't have much for corner/L shaped desks as far as I could tell. The sit/stand desks seem like the only ones that really support monitor arms, no back panel, but unfortunately don't pass the aesthetics test/storage. I'm totally fine hacking up the desk, just wondering if there was anything out there I was missing. Basically if manufacturers just made the cable pass through bigger I'd be all set.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

rizzo1001 posted:

Ikea doesn't have much for corner/L shaped desks as far as I could tell. The sit/stand desks seem like the only ones that really support monitor arms, no back panel, but unfortunately don't pass the aesthetics test/storage. I'm totally fine hacking up the desk, just wondering if there was anything out there I was missing. Basically if manufacturers just made the cable pass through bigger I'd be all set.

Bigger cable pass through, you say?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hole+saw

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Upgrade from a crank standing desk to a motor powered one (kept the same black top I had). This one is the base I ended up buying. Free shipping took about a week. ~20 M6/M8 screws and you're done. Needed 8 M6x1.0-13mm threaded inserts for my desk top (Ace hardware or online) to mount it with the provided machine screws. This thing is sturdy as hell. It's pretty solid steel.

Pondering monitor arm (or dual) and a second monitor. I wish the s2716DG had a non gsync version that didn't cost 400+ bux. Makes for great coding screen real estate.

I wish the new Corsair K63 they announced at CES came in cherry browns, I'd be on those things in a heartbeat (gently caress cables).

Getting the cables whipped into shape still, but this stuff and these guys work wonders. Jeebus help me whenever I have to move again.

Just don't look under the desk :gonk:

Next step, the junk to the left of the desk:

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Repurposed an old hardwood coffee table since I can't afford anything from even IKEA at this point. The desk lamp is IKEA from my teens, still haven't changed the bulb. And my first teddy watches as I code :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
My (actual) desktop.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/yyV6Mp

Top window possibility got me on that case.