Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gimmick Account posted:

Just a heads-up for you: I'm about 150 years into a fresh game with an immortal ruler & heir, both mobilized.

The ruler death thing has indeed been fixed - Thank you! - however, the immortal trait on heirs still seems to be non-functional, as previously reported. My heir is 83 years old as of this writing, and even with constant reloading, he keeps dying practically every month.

Ah cool I'll look at that on monday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

EU4 is a good game and I like it

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

There hopefully we don't have to bother about immortals ever again. Though fair warning for people, if you put an immortal on the saddle he still has a chance of dying everyday. It's only 0,005479452% but since it is every day it accumulates to a pretty big chance if you look over a longer time period like 5 years(You are 10% likely to die from falling off the horse within a time frame of 5 years)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Groogy posted:

There hopefully we don't have to bother about immortals ever again.

Just you wait, Groogs. We'll be bugging you to make sure they convert cleanly to V3 soon enough.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Groogy posted:

There hopefully we don't have to bother about immortals ever again. Though fair warning for people, if you put an immortal on the saddle he still has a chance of dying everyday. It's only 0,005479452% but since it is every day it accumulates to a pretty big chance if you look over a longer time period like 5 years(You are 10% likely to die from falling off the horse within a time frame of 5 years)

Wait so if your ruler lives to 50, he has a 100% chance of dying? That's below the average life expecency of rulers, how is that immortal?

E: I was only joking, but now that I think about it: Doesn't a 0.999945 chance of not dying each day mean over 50 years there's only a 0.37 chance of not dying from an accident? Unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how this is calculated of course.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 4, 2017

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

GrossMurpel posted:

Wait so if your ruler lives to 50, he has a 100% chance of dying? That's below the average life expecency of rulers, how is that immortal?

I think Groogy means raises their levy. "On the saddle" as in "on their warhorse".

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

That's not what I said and that's not how probability works?

It doesn't actually accumulate and becomes higher or higher. But if you are looking 5 years into the future, that he dies within that time frame by random accident is 10%
It technically never goes even above 0,005479452% each time it checks. But if you are putting a bet on that he is going to die within a 5 year time frame, the chance is 10% that one of those singular times actually gave us a death and we only need it to happen once. Also this is still just when you have made him a General and he dies from the random chance that brings.

To be extra clear: when those 5 years have passed, the chance of him dying tomorrow is still 0,005479452%. Thinking that the odds increase for each attempt is called Gambler's Fallacy

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 4, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah I just edited my post. Didn't realize that it's just when being raised as a general either.
So if your immortal dude just stays at home he really is gonna live forever as long as you don't take "5% chance to die" events?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yes if you never recruit him as a general. Maybe we should put it on so you don't have the chance of dying if he is not leading armies.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

This immortal poo poo is from CK2/custom nations, right? There is no other way to get it in an ironman EU4 game?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Only on Enrique

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Groogy posted:

Thank you for the quick reaction, Groogy! Really appreciate it. :)

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Groogy posted:

Only on Enrique

Turn him into a general and drill him until he becomes 8 pips in everything by 1700

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
gently caress playing as Aztech.

Really. gently caress'em.

It went OK, managed to reform and I had most of the peninsula in hand or as vassals.

gently caress spain and gently caress england.

I actually managed to beat Spain somehow in the first war, white peaced out.

Then one second later england invades, and I manage to stop them from even landing anything.

Then I barely barely manage to get my manpower back up before spains thinks to itself "Well the last hellwar wasn't just hellish enough for me!" and they invade again.

And i'm like "ok european powers I've been holding these fucks in the new world for six years now. Anytime!"

Then england invades again and I ragequit. They won't accept even small tokens of "Okay you beat me here have a port" it's either my whole country or bust for those fuckers.

I'm going to restart, be more agressive at the start to have a bigger economy/base to build on. Then maybe spend all my monarch points on getting my military tech on par with the europeans and maybe transition away from a regular army to a merc army so I won't ever have to worry about manpower again?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I was very confused and thought you were talking about a Shadowrun mod of some sort for a while there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Crazycryodude posted:

I was very confused and thought you were talking about a Shadowrun mod of some sort for a while there

yeah now im mad this game doesnt exist

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

StashAugustine posted:

yeah now im mad this game doesnt exist

could even work, the SR world is balkanized as gently caress and single characters actually matter

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Aztec!

Ugh. I kinda want to actually get the sunset invasion achievement now but i'm kinda burnt out.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Affi posted:

Aztec!

Ugh. I kinda want to actually get the sunset invasion achievement now but i'm kinda burnt out.

Every time I try the aztec achievement, I get burned out. I don't know whats more harrowing, the first few years before you get the snowball rolling or the first years of the Europeans coming down.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Affi posted:

gently caress playing as Aztech.

What worked for me when I played as the Aztecs was to peace out of the first DoW by giving them a gold province and like 2K ducats (they always want at least some land and they'll always take a gold province) and then westernising off that province, the second war and later I was always able to beat them even when 1-2 mil techs behind because they aren't very good at landing armies.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone played Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa? Looks like War in the East with less counter-pushing and more deciding which of your armies gets to have winter coats, might be fun.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 23, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

GrossMurpel posted:

Has anyone played Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa? Looks like War in the East with less counter-pushing and more deciding which of your armies gets to have winter coats, might be fun.

DCB is indeed a lot of fun. I should start up a new game; haven't played it since I did a PBEM right after it came out two years ago.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GrossMurpel posted:

All the DC games are really good but DC:b is fantastic.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DC:B is the only game that simulates what having a methed out fascist as your boss actually does to an army and is fantastic for it

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Agean90 posted:

DC:B is the only game that simulates what having a methed out fascist as your boss actually does to an army and is fantastic for it

But Britain wasn't part of the Barbarossa campaign?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But Britain wasn't part of the Barbarossa campaign?

Was Churchill on meth?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Probably not meth, but a cocktail of other amphetamines and barbiturates.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Just in case anyone else stopped looking at Stellaris updates because it was fundamentally broken by design in many terrible ways, it looks like Wiz is undergoing a purge of a lot of lovely mechanics in their upcoming update 2.0 and the game seems to be moving along the torturous path of leaving its lovely baggage behind and actually becoming a real game which is good and fun to play, and not the result of someone throwing some EU mechanics at a 4x game and then wondering why it doesn't work good.

So if you're interested in that people are probably talking about it in the Stellaris thread? Or you can just look at the dev diaries on the Paradox forums which are pretty well detailed

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Just in case anyone else stopped looking at Stellaris updates because it was fundamentally broken by design in many terrible ways, it looks like Wiz is undergoing a purge of a lot of lovely mechanics in their upcoming update 2.0 and the game seems to be moving along the torturous path of leaving its lovely baggage behind and actually becoming a real game which is good and fun to play, and not the result of someone throwing some EU mechanics at a 4x game and then wondering why it doesn't work good.

So if you're interested in that people are probably talking about it in the Stellaris thread? Or you can just look at the dev diaries on the Paradox forums which are pretty well detailed
I am still really irate that they based it on EUIV and not CK2

The only reason I don't take it seriously when they say "it ain't either of those" is that yeah, it doesn't do anything those other games do better than them other than earlygame

The 2.0 stuff though is maybe gonna get me to actually buy some DLCs and consider getting back to it

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I am still really irate that they based it on EUIV and not CK2

The only reason I don't take it seriously when they say "it ain't either of those" is that yeah, it doesn't do anything those other games do better than them other than earlygame

The 2.0 stuff though is maybe gonna get me to actually buy some DLCs and consider getting back to it

Clearly it should have been based on Victoria 2.

Not even joking.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not even joking.

The POP system is the best mechanic ever created in any video game, and any strategy game that uses it will instantly become a favorite of mine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not even joking.

all of the ingredients are there for it to be an optimal blend of ck2, eu4, & v2

sectors should be vassal-like with agendas and governors out for power; a medium-complexity economic/resource/etc. system and warfare most similar to eu4 (so basically unchanged in this regard), but with v2 pops that have demographic compositions and diverse needs that must be filled

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 8, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I was all hyped for Victoria in Space/Distant Worlds but with an actual production budget, especially during early-ish development when they kept mentioning "pops" without elaborating farther.

Then we got.... Stellaris. Ugh. Wiz is really fixing it up, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jazerus posted:

all of the ingredients are there for it to be an optimal blend of ck2, eu4, & v2

sectors should be vassal-like with agendas and governors out for power; a medium-complexity economic/resource/etc. system and warfare most similar to eu4 (so basically unchanged in this regard), but with v2 pops that have demographic compositions and diverse needs that must be filled

So literally Rome 2 but in space?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

So literally Rome 2 but in space?

Rome 2: In Spaaaace

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Are they removing tile management?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Or is the AI better at managing the tiles itself?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Did they throw away ship-customizing?

I have no idea why every space 4X has that, it's the sort of thing that I might fool around with in my first playthrough but the rest of the time I just want to get on with the game instead of trying to optimize ship builds, and I say that as someone who loved Gratuitous Space Battles, which was a whole game about 'sperging over ship parts.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are they removing tile management?

Nope. There's a mod that will handle it for you though. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512 Works fine, turn it on and never look at your tiles ever again.

Senor Dog posted:

Or is the AI better at managing the tiles itself?

Yes but still some edge cases where it will crap itself (usually involving robots). It's considerably easier to override now, though.

ZearothK posted:

No, thank god. Making your own ship designs is cool and good and lets what little combat strategy there is exist.

If nothing else, you should pick up Stellaris for the Star Trek mod, which is pretty conclusively the best grand strategy Star Trek game ever made (and is different enough from vanilla Stellaris to fix a lot of complaints people have, such as ship density and a boring/generic mid-game setup.) No idea how or even if it'll work with the 2.0 changes coming later this year so might as well play it now!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ZearothK posted:

I have no idea why every space 4X has that, it's the sort of thing that I might fool around with in my first playthrough but the rest of the time I just want to get on with the game instead of trying to optimize ship builds, and I say that as someone who loved Gratuitous Space Battles, which was a whole game about 'sperging over ship parts.

Because MOO had it, basically. And they're reworking a lot of things with ship building; power is now a property of the base hull + tech, armour is now just extra HP similar to shields, missiles are being reworked into their own special thing instead of a 3rd base weapon type, everyone starts with level 1 armour, shields, and all weapon types so you can make different ships right from day 1. Most of which does make the ship designer even more superfluous, but it also makes it easier for the AI, so just bashing out variants like "the same ship as before, only with more armour and bigger guns instead of shields" should be extremely simple.

Lum_ posted:

No, thank god. Making your own ship designs is cool and good and lets what little combat strategy there is exist.

Luckily they're dropping the critically flawed multiple FTL types concept so that combat can be meaningful, so this isn't an important consideration any more.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 8, 2018