Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

People still work with Roman Polanski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
If you defend woody Allen on any level you are a giant piece of poo poo and part of the problem, hth

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If i worked on his movie i'd kick him in the dick on the last day so hard it fell off

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

bad day posted:

He molested and married his stepdaughter like ages ago, why are people even talking about Woody Allen. I can’t stand his movies, they’re not funny, I have no idea why anyone likes them.

Some of his earlier stuff holds up, like Love and Death.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was a huge Louis C.K. fan for the longest time, but I'm completely done with him.

I'm done with Woody Allen too, but I can't deny that Annie Hall is a terrific movie, and he has written and directed some other good things (but none were as good as that, a true classic).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Louis CK really hurt because I thought his comedy was great at probing around the inner morality of people, but all of that obviously goes out the window when you yourself indulge in the same heinous thoughts your id dreams up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

esperterra posted:

Same, tbh. Woody def has done some skeazy poo poo w/r/t the timing around marrying Soon Yi, which is a weird situation far beyond their age gap, but I can't condemn him without knowing the full truth. I want to believe Dylan Farrow and feel terrible for her, whatever happened, but I also kinda fully believe Mia Farrow is and especially was batshit insane.

Whatever happened to Dylan, whether it was Woody abusing her or the other theory of Mia feeding her lies at such an impressionable age, or whatever, I feel terrible for her and what no doubt was a tumultuous household to be in during the time of that divorce.

The Allen situation just isn't as cut and dry as many others, so I can't really blame anyone in or out of the industry for falling on either side of believing Dylan or not.

Here's the thing though: the whole idea of "oh that lady is crazy" is a tactic specifically used to discredit women who speak out. It's why Harvey Weinstein was able to get away with being King Sleazebag Rapist for so long, because he had a massive publicity department behind him that could make make women like Rose McGowan (also someone who has been called batshit insane a lot and has been vindicated over the last few months) look like they're crazy. Woody Allen has some top tier publicists whose job it is to make you think that Mia Farrow is and especially was batshit insane.

I'll let Dylan Farrow's words speak for themselves here, and it's why I think this goes beyond "he said, she said":

quote:

Allen denies my allegations. But this is not a "he said, child said" situation. Allen's pattern of inappropriate behavior — putting his thumb in my mouth, climbing into bed with me in his underwear, constant grooming and touching — was witnessed by friends and family members. At the time of the alleged assault, he was in therapy for his conduct towards me. Three eyewitnesses substantiated my account, including a babysitter who saw Allen with his head buried in my lap after he had taken off my underwear. Allen refused to take a polygraph administered by the Connecticut state police.

In the final legal disposition of the matter, a judge denied him custody of me, writing that "measures must be taken to protect" me and that there was "no credible evidence" that my mother, Mia Farrow, coached me in any way. A prosecutor took the unusual step of announcing that he had probable cause to charge Allen but declined in order to spare me, a "child victim," from an exhausting trial.

It is a testament to Allen's public relations team and his lawyers that few know these simple facts. It also speaks to the forces that have historically protected men like Allen: the money and power deployed to make the simple complicated, to massage the story.

he was in therapy for his broader inappropriate conduct, which was witnessed by multiple people, not just Mia. A judge denied him custody and, most importantly, there was no credible evidence that Mia coached her. The idea that Mia coached Dylan to say this was an argument concocted by Woody Allen and his legal team to muddy the waters, which worked because of his publicity team and the reputation of Mia Farrow at that time.

The real reason that the Allen stuff appears to be more unclear than some instances is because when you say "oh i don't like woody allen because of what he did to his daughter," the first thing that generally comes to mind is the Soon-Yi stuff, which, while creepy and evidence of a broader attitude towards younger women that is uncomfortable at best, isn't illegal. That's because that has been in the media for years and years and has become a part of Allen's broader story in a way that Dylan's allegations haven't, because they were largely covered up for about 20 years until 2014 when she wrote her open letter on the night he was receiving a lifetime achievement award at the Golden Globes.

My more conspiratorially minded thought is that Allen and his publicists didn't really shut down talk about Soon-Yi and how questionable that relationship was because if that's the first thing people think of when they think of Woody Allen's creepiness, then it's easier for them to shut down talk about what he did to his daughter because people are too distracted by the other gross (but legal and not really on the same level) thing. a really gross sleight of hand trick.

edit: for a more recent example of the same trick being played in the media, think back all the way to October 2017 when we all learned that Roy Moore was a gross molester. While the plan for the actual campaign was to deny everything and slander all involved parties, the conservative media at large went with a different approach: deny the most troubling (and illegal) allegations and counter with "well yeah he's a creep but it's not illegal to hit on 16 year olds and also think of all the good he would do for the Republican Party". Nothing Woody Allen did with Soon-Yi was ever illegal, and so when you try to say "oh woody allen is a child molester" the response from someone looking to defend him is "look, i know he's creepy but he never did anything illegal with Soon-Yi, and plus, look at all of the great movies he's made".

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 8, 2018

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Also, batshit insane women can be abused. Mentally ill people are some of the worst-treated people in society.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Academy members now regret banning Weinstein so hastily
https://pagesix.com/2018/01/06/academy-members-now-regret-banning-weinstein-so-hastily/

'When Hollywood’s most prestigious organization, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) — the group of nearly 7,000 actors, directors and other industry types who dole out the Oscars — expelled Harvey Weinstein on Oct. 14, audiences applauded. But by acting so swiftly, a mere nine days after the New York Times first reported allegations of sexual assault against the movie producer, the outfit now finds itself facing a dilemma.

Put simply: What to do with the rest of them?

“Harvey opened the floodgates,” said one male Academy member. “Now the Academy’s drowning in a tide of s—t. They don’t know what hit them.”

What hit, of course, were more alleged horror stories about so many other members: Kevin Spacey assaulting multiple young men, Dustin Hoffman sticking his hands in women’s pants, director Brett Ratner forcing himself on actresses. Ben Affleck seen on video groping a female host on “Total Request Live.” Screenwriter James Toback accused of sexual misdeeds by nearly 40 women. (As of this past Tuesday, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said it is considering criminal charges in five cases against Toback. He, Spacey, Hoffman and Ratner, deny the claims against them.)

And it’s not just new allegations that are haunting the Academy. What to do about two of the most notorious accused sexual predators in Hollywood, Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski, who were charged years before the Weinstein stories broke? Or, for that matter, Casey Affleck — who last year won the Best Actor Oscar — and the two settled cases of sexual-harassment against him? (Cosby and Affleck deny the accusations.)

To join AMPAS, you must work in the production of theatrically-released films and be recommended by two members — unless you are already an Academy Award nominee, in which case you are automatically considered for inclusion.

Before Weinstein, there had only been one example of revoked membership: “Godfather” actor Carmine Caridi in 2004, who’d loaned out Academy screeners that wound up being sold.)

Now, a barrage of petitions, complaints and letters are hitting Academy CEO Dawn Hudson and newly elected president John Bailey about these other men.

Some Academy members are fed up with the feet-dragging. “...right now, it’s easier to get someone an Academy Award than to get them expelled from the Academy.”'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm not trying to say Mia Farrow is some awful villain or that Woody Allen is def not a creep, just that there's a lot going on in the case that makes things unclear. Hasn't Moses Farrow also come forward before with claims that Mia was physically abusive and coached Dylan for the accusations against Allen? There's just so many sides to the story, and it makes it difficult to try and decipher the truth. Did Allen do it? Maybe. Did a Farrow furious over his affair with Soon Yi make it up to get back at him? Maybe. Were either of them abusive to eachother or their children? Maybe. We may never know.

I prob worded my thoughts badly earlier, I didn't mean to brush it aside as if Mia Farrow being a bit unhinged (which I do think she kind of is, though surely through no fault of her own) makes it all her fault or anything, or that Allen himself couldn't have fed into that at the time (and certainly has since, iirc the way he's talked about Farrow has been pretty disgusting whether you see it as a guilty man pinning blame elsewhere or an innocent man lashing out at the person responsible for the claims). Just that it's a muddy situation all around where I'm personally hesitant to take any one side.

But again I don't blame anyone who does take a side. It's one of those cases where I can buy believing either. I just don't feel right doing it myself. I feel terrible for their kids no matter what the truth of the matter is.

e: iirc the first time the 'mia coached dylan' thing was floated was after he took a lie detector test and passed, while mia refused to take one at all or something. there's a lot going on and a lot of material both of their teams had to run with in campaigning for and against the case.

e2: actually refreshing myself on some of this i think child psychologists were involved with the initial claim dylan had been coached, but i can't find atm if this was before or after the polygraph

What a loving mess of a case in general.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 8, 2018

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zogo posted:

Academy members now regret banning Weinstein so hastily
https://pagesix.com/2018/01/06/academy-members-now-regret-banning-weinstein-so-hastily/

'When Hollywood’s most prestigious organization, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) — the group of nearly 7,000 actors, directors and other industry types who dole out the Oscars — expelled Harvey Weinstein on Oct. 14, audiences applauded. But by acting so swiftly, a mere nine days after the New York Times first reported allegations of sexual assault against the movie producer, the outfit now finds itself facing a dilemma.

Put simply: What to do with the rest of them?

“Harvey opened the floodgates,” said one male Academy member. “Now the Academy’s drowning in a tide of s—t. They don’t know what hit them.”

What hit, of course, were more alleged horror stories about so many other members: Kevin Spacey assaulting multiple young men, Dustin Hoffman sticking his hands in women’s pants, director Brett Ratner forcing himself on actresses. Ben Affleck seen on video groping a female host on “Total Request Live.” Screenwriter James Toback accused of sexual misdeeds by nearly 40 women. (As of this past Tuesday, the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said it is considering criminal charges in five cases against Toback. He, Spacey, Hoffman and Ratner, deny the claims against them.)

And it’s not just new allegations that are haunting the Academy. What to do about two of the most notorious accused sexual predators in Hollywood, Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski, who were charged years before the Weinstein stories broke? Or, for that matter, Casey Affleck — who last year won the Best Actor Oscar — and the two settled cases of sexual-harassment against him? (Cosby and Affleck deny the accusations.)

To join AMPAS, you must work in the production of theatrically-released films and be recommended by two members — unless you are already an Academy Award nominee, in which case you are automatically considered for inclusion.

Before Weinstein, there had only been one example of revoked membership: “Godfather” actor Carmine Caridi in 2004, who’d loaned out Academy screeners that wound up being sold.)

Now, a barrage of petitions, complaints and letters are hitting Academy CEO Dawn Hudson and newly elected president John Bailey about these other men.

Some Academy members are fed up with the feet-dragging. “...right now, it’s easier to get someone an Academy Award than to get them expelled from the Academy.”'

Maybe some kind of 3 strikes law, since they're in cali

3 settlements

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also can I just say I think it's weird Mia Farrow is still close friends with Roman Polanski, all things considered? Especially if it's true what Allen did to Dylan. Especially when there's zero doubt Polanski is guilty of the same horrendous crime.

Again, a mess!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

esperterra posted:

Also can I just say I think it's weird Mia Farrow is still close friends with Roman Polanski, all things considered? Especially if it's true what Allen did to Dylan. Especially when there's zero doubt Polanski is guilty of the same horrendous crime.

Again, a mess!

...yeah, that actually is kind of sketch and like the one thing that makes me side-eye her in the situation

you would think that having her daughter get raped would kind of turn her against the idea that some pedos are ok

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

esperterra posted:

I'm not trying to say Mia Farrow is some awful villain or that Woody Allen is def not a creep, just that there's a lot going on in the case that makes things unclear. Hasn't Moses Farrow also come forward before with claims that Mia was physically abusive and coached Dylan for the accusations against Allen? There's just so many sides to the story, and it makes it difficult to try and decipher the truth. Did Allen do it? Maybe. Did a Farrow furious over his affair with Soon Yi make it up to get back at him? Maybe. Were either of them abusive to eachother or their children? Maybe. We may never know.

I prob worded my thoughts badly earlier, I didn't mean to brush it aside as if Mia Farrow being a bit unhinged (which I do think she kind of is, though surely through no fault of her own) makes it all her fault or anything, or that Allen himself couldn't have fed into that at the time (and certainly has since, iirc the way he's talked about Farrow has been pretty disgusting whether you see it as a guilty man pinning blame elsewhere or an innocent man lashing out at the person responsible for the claims). Just that it's a muddy situation all around where I'm personally hesitant to take any one side.

But again I don't blame anyone who does take a side. It's one of those cases where I can buy believing either. I just don't feel right doing it myself. I feel terrible for their kids no matter what the truth of the matter is.

e: iirc the first time the 'mia coached dylan' thing was floated was after he took a lie detector test and passed, while mia refused to take one at all or something. there's a lot going on and a lot of material both of their teams had to run with in campaigning for and against the case.

e2: actually refreshing myself on some of this i think child psychologists were involved with the initial claim dylan had been coached, but i can't find atm if this was before or after the polygraph

What a loving mess of a case in general.

here's a pretty substantial reminder of the facts of the case: (i bolded the part that is most relevant to our current discussion)

quote:

Earlier this week in Slate, I took issue with Robert B. Weide’s much-passed-around Daily Beast piece defending Woody Allen against accusations of sexual assault that have been made by his daughter, Dylan Farrow, who recently wrote an open letter in the New York Times detailing her memories of the alleged abuse. Many readers have criticized my piece for focusing on Weide’s rhetoric and tone, not his facts. So here’s a just-the-facts second pass clarifying five key points that Weide fumbled.

No. 1: The sexual-abuse allegations did not happen in the midst of a custody battle.

In his Daily Beast piece, Weide refers to “Mia [Farrow]’s accusation—used during their custody battle for their three shared children—that Woody molested their 7-year-old adopted daughter Dylan.” He also suggests it’s unlikely that Allen would have molested Dylan “in the middle of custody and support negotiations, during which Woody needed to be on his best behavior.” Many of Allen’s defenders have floated the possibility that Mia Farrow concocted the allegations to use as leverage in the custody battle; Steve Kroft suggests just this scenario in the introduction to a 1992 60 Minutes interview with Allen. In that segment, Allen tells Kroft that it would have been “illogical” to molest Dylan “at the height of a very bitter, acrimonious custody fight.”

The problem with this line of reasoning is that Dylan Farrow’s allegations did not emerge in the midst of a custody battle. According to Phoebe Hoban’s 1992 New York magazine story, as of early August 1992—eight months after Mia Farrow had discovered Allen’s sexual relationship with her daughter Soon-Yi Previn—Allen had been “prepared to sign a 30-page document that virtually precluded his seeing the children he doted on without a chaperone.” Then, on Aug. 4, 1992, Dylan told her mother that Woody Allen had sexually assaulted her in Mia’s Connecticut home. At that point, Mia and Dylan went to Dylan’s pediatrician, who reported the allegations to authorities. Allen did not sue for custody of Dylan and her two brothers, Moses and Ronan, until Aug. 13, 1992, a week after he was informed of Dylan’s accusations.

In a June 1993 decision, Acting Justice Elliot Wilk of the New York State Supreme Court found “no credible evidence to support Mr. Allen’s contention that Ms. Farrow coached Dylan or that Ms. Farrow acted upon a desire for revenge against him for seducing Soon-Yi. Mr. Allen’s resort to the stereotypical ‘woman scorned’ defense is an injudicious attempt to divert attention from his failure to act as a responsible parent and adult.”

No. 2: The Connecticut state’s attorney stated that he had probable cause to bring charges against Allen.

Weide writes that Allen “was never charged with a crime, since investigative authorities never found credible evidence to support Mia’s (and Dylan’s) claim.” In fact, the Litchfield, Conn., state’s attorney, Frank Maco, in consultation with Mia Farrow, decided in September 1993 not to press criminal charges, despite having “probable cause,” in the belief that a trial would further traumatize Dylan. At that point, Allen had already been denied not only custody but any visitation rights—supervised or unsupervised—with Dylan, per Wilk’s decision in June of that year. (As the New York Times pointed out at the time, “Mr. Maco's remarks about the case were criticized by some legal scholars, who said it was an unfair attempt to have it both ways by claiming victory without taking the case to trial.” Maco was later rebuked by a state Grievance Council for his actions, though it did not find that Maco had violated any provision of Connecticut’s code of conduct for lawyers.)

No. 3: Dylan Farrow’s testimony was not marred by “inconsistencies.”

“There were problems with inconsistencies” in Dylan’s narrative, Weide writes. On Aug. 4, when a physician asked Dylan where her father had touched her that day, she pointed to her shoulder; she explained to her mother later the same day that she was embarrassed to talk about her private parts. After that first doctor’s visit, however, her story remained consistent, detailed, and specific.

No. 4: The unsuspicious nanny was outnumbered.

Weide makes a lot out of a deposition by a nanny in Allen’s employ, Monica Thompson, who stated “that she was pressured by Farrow to support the molestation charges,” and that another nanny, Kristie Groteke, had told her that she “did not have Dylan out of her sight for longer than five minutes.” Weide does not mention that Groteke herself testified that she lost track of both Dylan and Allen for 15 to 20 minutes on Aug. 4. Weide does not mention the testimony of babysitter Alison Stickland, who, on Aug. 4, witnessed Allen “kneeling in front of Dylan with his head in her lap” (a detail recounted in Dylan’s open letter). Weide does not mention that Sophie Berge, a tutor, later noticed that Dylan was not wearing underwear.

No. 5: The head of the Yale team investigating the allegations never spoke to Dylan Farrow.

Weide quotes at length from a sworn deposition by John Leventhal, the pediatrician who led the Yale–New Haven Hospital Child Sexual Abuse Clinic’s investigation of the allegations. Leventhal’s deposition hypothesized either that “these were statements made by an emotionally disturbed child and then became fixed in her mind” or “that she was coached or influenced by her mother.” But Leventhal himself never interviewed Dylan Farrow, nor did he interview her mother or any of the child care workers present at Mia Farrow’s home on Aug. 4, 1992. Dylan was interviewed nine times over a six-month period by Julia Hamilton, who had a Ph.D. in social work, and Jennifer Sawyer, who had a master’s degree in social work. Neither Hamilton nor Sawyer would testify at trial, and Leventhal would only testify via deposition; as Weide points out, they also destroyed their notes on the investigation. (Diane Schetky, a professor of psychiatry and past editor of the Clinical Handbook of Child Psychiatry and the Law, itemized other irregularities in the Yale investigation in this 1997 Connecticut Magazine piece.)

In his 1993 state Supreme Court decision, Wilk found that testimony “proves that Mr. Allen's behavior toward Dylan was grossly inappropriate and that measures must be taken to protect her.” In May 1994, the Appellate Division of the state Supreme Court cited a “clear consensus” among psychiatric experts that Allen’s “interest in Dylan was abnormally intense.”

My colleague Dahlia Lithwick wisely cautions against trying this case again in the court of public opinion. But it’s also worth remembering that—no matter how Robert Weide wants to spin things—Woody Allen did not fare well at all when actual courts of law looked at the facts.

this is more than enough for me IMO

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...yeah, that actually is kind of sketch and like the one thing that makes me side-eye her in the situation

you would think that having her daughter get raped would kind of turn her against the idea that some pedos are ok

i don't really give a poo poo about Mia Farrow in this case (other than to say that her continued association with Polanski is gross), it's about believing what Dylan Farrow says (which is generally backed up by the legal opinions of judges who worked on the case). Also Woody only did a lie detector test with a member of his legal team, he refused to do one for the Connecticut police department.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's wild to me seeing people in this thread calling the Woody Allen case complicated or up-in-the-air at all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

It's wild to me seeing people in this thread calling the Woody Allen case complicated or up-in-the-air at all.

it just means that his publicists are very, very good at their jobs.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess, for me the big thing is that medical team or whatever that interviewed Dylan found no evidence of abuse. Of course, there's some serious weirdness surrounding that group too; it's a bit hard to get my head around. Anyway I don't think it's exactly an open and shut case, but my knowledge is based on like 3 hours of Internet research a few years ago so I could be completely off base.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
The Dave Chappelle Netflix comedy specials feature some prime rationalizing about the culture of Hollywood.

To his credit, Dave sees how bad it really is and knows it has to change, but how seems to elude him because he still wants to look himself in the mirror and see a good guy. The guy who still clings to calling women "bitch" in a casual way decides that accusers have a "brittle soul" and that Iceberg Slim should be quoted as serious philosophy. Because capitalism is really the problem you see, not some guys who just want to get rich off the backs of women.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like Woody Allen being a pedo creep has been an open secret for so long that people are numb to it; paradoxically, to the point that they'll deny it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like Woody Allen being a pedo creep has been an open secret for so long that people are numb to it; paradoxically, to the point that they'll deny it.

Everybody in a position to make waves is probably just hoping he finally dies so that they can post their very brave thinkpieces about how they always knew and how concerned they are about this issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

exquisite tea posted:

Everybody in a position to make waves is probably just hoping he finally dies so that they can post their very brave thinkpieces about how they always knew and how concerned they are about this issue.

I think you hit the nail right on the head and drove it through the goddamned board.

See also: how everyone discussed Michael Jackson post death.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Speaking of Michael Jackson, people asked earlier about Mia still considering Roman a friend... similarly Cory Feldman has said over and over Michael Jackson is the only person in the entire industry he trusted completely and believes his innocence

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I think you hit the nail right on the head and drove it through the goddamned board.

See also: how everyone discussed Michael Jackson post death.

Post-death, the pendulum seems to have swung more to "Jackson was just crazy and thought he was a kid and people tried to profit off of that by making false accusations" as opposed to people thinking he molested kids. The percentage is much different than it was right around the trial(s) when people were saying "I knew it!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

I'm puzzled honestly.

Darko posted:

Post-death, the pendulum seems to have swung more to "Jackson was just crazy and thought he was a kid and people tried to profit off of that by making false accusations" as opposed to people thinking he molested kids. The percentage is much different than it was right around the trial(s) when people were saying "I knew it!"

I dunno man, reading some of the stuff that's come out since then makes me think, yeah, he was definitely a chomo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 8, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm puzzled honestly.

I dunno man, reading some of the stuff that's come out since then makes me think, yeah, he was definitely a chomo.

I had studied a lot of the Jackson material for something I was writing and the biggest issue is that there is and was so much false or misinterpreted information about the cases and the surrounding circumstances.

As an example, the oft-repeated talk about Jackson letting kids stay in his bedroom is offset by the fact that his 'bedroom' spanned two floors. Or that when kids stayed with Jackson often their parents stayed too.

There were absolutely false accusations against him. The ones before his death (that led to him being in court) were certainly that. Even after reading up on so much of it, it's really hard to make a concrete decision.

Jackson is a singularly weird case because of his mental state. His family largely leeched off him when he outgrew them, treated him like poo poo and then he spent most of his adult life as a semi-recluse who tried desperately to capture a childhood he never got to have. Trying to provide reason to him sometimes is a fools errand.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 8, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/VioletPaley/status/950252181965410304

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not James Franco so I don't remember that

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its naht true its bullshit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twerking on the railroad posted:

The Dave Chappelle Netflix comedy specials feature some prime rationalizing about the culture of Hollywood.

To his credit, Dave sees how bad it really is and knows it has to change, but how seems to elude him because he still wants to look himself in the mirror and see a good guy. The guy who still clings to calling women "bitch" in a casual way decides that accusers have a "brittle soul" and that Iceberg Slim should be quoted as serious philosophy. Because capitalism is really the problem you see, not some guys who just want to get rich off the backs of women.
It played kind of similar to the Stewart and Silverman stuff I've seen. There were cringeworthy moments and obviously their first instincts are to defend themselves and their friends, but all three seemed to basically acknowledge that they knew their instincts were wrong and they needed to work through some complicated feelings to grow. Being a comedian just seems like a bad place to be when you're going through some personal conflict over some very public stuff.

Like, Chappelle's whole thing with the transgender joke was kind of microcosm of it, I think. He starts defending himself saying he isn't a bigot, he retells his joke because he wants to show its funny and not offensive, he makes a couple of jokes about himself to try and show he isn't a bigot, and then he ends up finally acknowledging that he feels bad for hurting someone. He seemed to put the entire personal conflict on display.

I'm willing to give folks who say "I'm not the bad guy, i'm not the bad guy... am I the bad guy?" some time to get there. I've experienced the same process and probably will again. I think its not terribly easy to uproot your own sense of self and moral standards like that and the questioning and discomfort is probably the right first step. Its people who reject it and fight who probably aren't going to get there.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 8, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

STAC Goat posted:

It played kind of similar to the Stewart and Silverman stuff I've seen. There were cringeworthy moments and obviously their first instincts are to defend themselves and their friends, but all three seemed to basically acknowledge that they knew their instincts were wrong and they needed to work through some complicated feelings to grow. Being a comedian just seems like a bad place to be when you're going through some personal conflict over some very public stuff.

Like, Chappelle's whole thing with the transgender joke was kind of microcosm of it, I think. He starts defending himself saying he isn't a bigot, he retells his joke because he wants to show its funny and not offensive, he makes a couple of jokes about himself to try and show he isn't a bigot, and then he ends up finally acknowledging that he feels bad for hurting someone. He seemed to put the entire personal conflict on display.

I'm willing to give folks who say "I'm not the bad guy, i'm not the bad guy... am I the bad guy?" some time to get there. I've experienced the same process and probably will again. I think its not terribly easy to uproot your own sense of self and moral standards like that and the questioning and discomfort is probably the right first step. Its people who reject it and fight who probably aren't going to get there.

I think Stewart on the Stern show gave a pretty good reasoning behind what he had said. I think part of it is that we seem to expect the 'right' answer instantly. It's different asking you or me what we might think of CK, but it's a lot different to ask a friend, particularly if you're doing it on live TV (In that respect I think Stewart was a little flummoxed, but he should've seen it coming).

I think when it comes to transgenderism it can just be complicated for some people. Chappelle's jokes to me seemed to be someone accepting of a person's choice, but not understanding it and that's where the comedy comes from. In terms of our modern day conversation about these issues, I think these are the people who are being left behind the most. I have friends, wonderful people without a bad or bigoted bone in their body, but being transgender is a mystery to them. And I think if you go online right now and try and talk about it you can't afford to be confused by it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was his joke

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Very roughly paraphrased:

"I totally get why you feel you have to do this, and your commitment, by virtue of its cost (cutting your dick off) proves how real this is for you. No one should ever feel disqualified or disenfranchised for what their brain is telling them is right.

But like ew right? Who would wanna see Caitlyn Jenner's gross fake pussy."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was something about how he read that Caitlyn Jenner might pose naked in SI and while he respects her choices and everything she's been through "but yucky." Something like that but it was obviously more of a journey and he ultimately does like 20 minutes around that, the reactions, and his reactions. He defends himself a bunch, makes some more jokes including some about him hooking up with a transgender lady when he was younger, and then ends up with a story about reading a letter from a young transgender fan who was hurt by it and it affecting him and making him rethink things.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 8, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I'm glad there's more to it than that first description because that's basically one of those mid-90s shithead comedian jokes about "look, i understand that gay people don't choose to be gay and I respect their gayness but BOY HOWDY I AIN'T SUCKING NO DICKS!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the description sounds like a pretty accurate (to my memory) account of the joke itself which I guess he told on a previous special (I didn't see it). But his material on this special was all basically about the fallout of that joke and the ups and downs as he tried to process if he had done anything wrong.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

It was something about how he read that Caitlyn Jenner might pose naked in SI and while he respects her choices and everything she's been through "but yucky." Something like that but it was obviously more of a journey and he ultimately does like 20 minutes around that, the reactions, and his reactions. He defends himself a bunch, makes some more jokes including some about him hooking up with a transgender lady when he was younger, and then ends up with a story about reading a letter from a young transgender fan who was hurt by it and it affecting him and making him rethink things.

The person who wrote the letter wrote a thing about how they feel Chapelle misrepresented them fyi
https://medium.com/@tylergfoster/i-wrote-dave-chappelle-a-letter-about-his-terrible-transgender-jokes-55478970b9f

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Yossarian-22 posted:

Defending John Landis is especially dumb in lieu of Rod Serling being the far superior director

Rod Serling is the GOAT in being ahead of his time.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Comedy needs context and tone to *get* where someone is going with a joke, and can't really be judged by excerpts and quotes. See the initial news reporting about Chapelle's show before anyone actually saw it.

Also, the perspective of a black man raised by Boomers about false accusations or level of response to accusations on celebrity, as well as fighting for one's identity will be different than that of someone else.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darko posted:

Comedy needs context and tone to *get* where someone is going with a joke, and can't really be judged by excerpts and quotes. See the initial news reporting about Chapelle's show before anyone actually saw it.

Yeah, I remember not really being on Dave's side until I saw the skit that made him quit the show. Then you can see where he's coming from by freaking out about it being a skit written by his white lead writer, filmed by a predominantly white crew and feeling like he's making a minstrel show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What skit was it?