Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zoran posted:

Rex: Pyra (fire) + Rex's generic wind knuckles

I would not recommend watching any streamers for combat advice except maybe for the speedrunners. The people who are streaming their casual playthroughs are almost universally terrible at this game. There's even a series of YouTube videos showcasing each rare blade where almost every build shown off by that guy is really bad.

Does anyone know why the first blade it gives you is those wind knuckles and why it won't let you get rid of them? She's rubbish and just takes up space for no reason.

I found a youtube for Electra's quest to see if I could get to the cave I needed to get when I couldn't find it. It showed a cutscene in Gormott and then cut to them entering the cave. I mean what the gently caress is the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Taear posted:

Does anyone know why the first blade it gives you is those wind knuckles and why it won't let you get rid of them? She's rubbish and just takes up space for no reason.

I found a youtube for Electra's quest to see if I could get to the cave I needed to get when I couldn't find it. It showed a cutscene in Gormott and then cut to them entering the cave. I mean what the gently caress is the point of that?

Mechanically, wind completes a very easy blade combo after Dromarch's Water and Poppi's Earth. You get a healer because it comes at a point where your healer is absent.

I’d say you can’t release it because there are points when Pyra is absent and Rex needs at least one blade, but Rex gets another guaranteed blade before that ever happens, so it's kind of moot. The devs probably thought of this potential issue and coded that exception in early so that if any of the later events got moved around, they wouldn’t accidentally gently caress up.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 8, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zoran posted:

Mechanically, wind completes a very easy blade combo after Dromarch's Water and Poppi's Earth. You get a healer because it comes at a point where your healer is absent.

I’d say you can’t release it because there are points when Pyra is absent and Rex needs at least one blade, but Rex gets another guaranteed blade before that ever happens, so it's kind of moot. The devs probably thought of this potential issue and coded that exception in early so that if any of the later events got moved around, they wouldn’t accidentally gently caress up.

Ah, I guess the only one he'd definitely have is (Chapter 7 spoilers) Nia and you can't really rely on that one. I didn't think of that.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Taear posted:

Ah, I guess the only one he'd definitely have is (Chapter 7 spoilers) Nia and you can't really rely on that one. I didn't think of that.

It's —Roc— that I’m thinking of, but I just realized that in fact this comes up very briefly as early as the end of chapter 3.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zoran posted:

It's —Roc— that I’m thinking of, but I just realized that in fact this comes up very briefly as early as the end of chapter 3.

And you don't actually HAVE to pair them. What if you're a Rex that just ignores every single core crystal? The game wouldn't know what to do, I guess.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Yes you do. You can’t get past the first part of chapter 4 otherwise.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But you can send Roc on Merc missions, for a temporary absence. If he happened to be on one when you lose your only other blade, well. I haven't ever tried but can you send the wind knuckles on missions? If you can then rip that theory.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

But you can send Roc on Merc missions, for a temporary absence. If he happened to be on one when you lose your only other blade, well. I haven't ever tried but can you send the wind knuckles on missions? If you can then rip that theory.

Oh yea, you can!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Nope. You can’t send away Rex's second-to-last blade on merc missions, whoever they may be at the time.

Unrelated: who the hell needs Orb Master? Nia with KOS-MOS, Zeke with Zenobia, and Tora with Poppi's final form can kill the level 130 superboss in a chain attack off a single orb. Burst Symbols are kind of silly.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's a good set up for driver combos, I have anchor shot on Rex for the topple but of all the blades I've tried, I don't think any of them have ever launched and therefore smashed (unless the AI is bad at using them and I have to do them all myself?)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rex has launch on axes. Zeke has launch by default.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's a good set up for driver combos, I have anchor shot on Rex for the topple but of all the blades I've tried, I don't think any of them have ever launched and therefore smashed (unless the AI is bad at using them and I have to do them all myself?)

Rex gets launch on axes and he gets smash only on a single unique blade he receives in chapter 4. That’s the easiest setup early on—Nia breaks and Rex handles the rest of the chain himself.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Man, I don't want to use Zeke or Rex's smash blade. I don't even like swapping blades too much on Rex unless it's to build up an elemental orb because it breaks the flow of combat and the D pad is just so bad. Is that really the only source of smash in the game?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The entire system is built around swapping blades, I don't know what to tell you. Like, the fastest way to do fusion combos is chaining like 6-9 arts in a row off one attack. And Rex specifically has a niche of building the fastest special because switching between Mythra and Pyra for free counts towards the meter.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

There's an accessory called overclocking bangle that reduces blade switch cooldowns dramatically, making it very easy to go topple → launch → smash and switch right back to the Aegis, if you don’t like being stuck on Rex's smash blade for a little bit.

Zeke is an absolute driver combo maniac and will do the appropriate moves whenever he can. Nia can also launch with knuckles (or topple with axes), but her AI will generally prioritize healing and blade combos over driver combo moves, and nothing gives her smash. The next party member has break, topple, and smash on tank blades, but isn’t as consistent about switching to do driver combos as Zeke is and has no access to launch. Tora gets all four driver combo moves on his three blades very late in the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wish I could set AI priorities so I could just tell Zeke to Always Be Smashing and ignore blade combos.

Also does anyone else use Pandoria on Rex instead of an axe for their own driver combos or is it just me?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So to reliably get smashes, 2 of Rex's 3 blade slots need to be a specific weapon class and one specific blade, and the last slot can't be changed because it's pyra/mythra?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So to reliably get smashes, 2 of Rex's 3 blade slots need to be a specific weapon class and one specific blade, and the last slot can't be changed because it's pyra/mythra?

You don't have to play as Rex. I'm probably going to switch to Zeke for a bit when I start postgame stuff. Everyone is, more or less, locked to specific weapon combinations for driver combos, and everyone but Tora has to rely on at least one part of the chain being done by the AI. Most people do it as Rex because relying on the AI for Break is the easiest part because A: you can give them a beta scope to increase the chance of their break hitting, and B: it's better than hoping they don't gently caress it up in the middle of the combo instead.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Man, Zeke sucks poo poo though

Are driver combos even that necessary outside of farming gold chips, I've made it to chapter 8 just doing blade combos and final attacks, never getting past topple except when you get a plot character for a while who would solo driver combo stuff

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mods?!?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Are driver combos even that necessary outside of farming gold chips, I've made it to chapter 8 just doing blade combos and final attacks, never getting past topple except when you get a plot character for a while who would solo driver combo stuff

Nope. You won't be hurt if you never ever do a driver combo ever.

That said my normal blade setup on Rex has been Roc Gorg and Pyra so it's been really easy for me!

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Not really but if you happen to have launch and smash on your party somewhere there's no reason not to go for them either, is there

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I like to keep a healer on Rex (he has boreas) because the AI is terrible at healing and picking up potions (when they don't go flying off a cliff, both the potions and the AI partners)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after opening another 20 cores I got Dagas, which is unfortunate because he looks real cool but I already have been using Gorg as my axe guy and he's way better. how does such a badass like Dagas have such a poor skillset? meanwhile the goof troop of Ursula and Boreas are like Pixar characters but have incredible abilities

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dagas's affinity tree completely changes once you do his sidequest. He's weird like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

after opening another 20 cores I got Dagas, which is unfortunate because he looks real cool but I already have been using Gorg as my axe guy and he's way better. how does such a badass like Dagas have such a poor skillset? meanwhile the goof troop of Ursula and Boreas are like Pixar characters but have incredible abilities

Do his quest, he gets an entirely new affinity tree because he thinks going all out for you is beneath him before then. His new affinity tree is really good, he gets really nice field skills, and he's one of the few blades with three aux core slots.

His quest is a little long but I actually wish more blade sidequests did cool things like his does instead of just unlocking one affinity node or a new trust level.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I have Ursula but lmao all you guys make it sound like her sidequest is misery so I don't even bother
Plus I don't use Nia as a pc and Morag has the chatty book punchlady so I'm good with healing

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 9, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you should definitely spoiler tag like half of that post

also the ursula hellgrind is real but it's also a really good way to level mercs

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Yep, post-quest Dagas puts up a respectable showing against Zenobia in terms of damage, wields a more useful element (because it has combos with light), and has a helpful harvesting skill.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I like to keep a healer on Rex (he has boreas) because the AI is terrible at healing and picking up potions (when they don't go flying off a cliff, both the potions and the AI partners)

Too many combats take place on narrow fields where the HP potions just don't work. I get the idea of it but in practice it's dumb.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
According to my personal rare blade tier list, which is entirely based on idle animations, Dagas is S rank

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DLC Inc posted:

Thanks, will keep playing to find out more

I'd rather have Zeke since he'll be a decent bigsword fill-in when Cloud or Ike doesn't return.

You shut your goddamn mouth. :mad:

(He's the most popular FE character, he'll be back and if anything they'd drop someone like Robin)

tap my mountain posted:

I'm still curious what the skill check roadblock was for all the reviewers. Was it the gate you have to break on the Mor Ardain rooftops?

Possibly the Cliffs? That might be further than reviewers went but I could see some of those checks being a serious PITA for people who don't have a lot of levels in those skills (earth/leap?) though you'll have the means of hitting those checks unless you've neglected Tora and drawing blades in general.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How far into sagas's first affinity tree do you have to go to get his quest to make him good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Who besides Poppi and Aeaegeaeon know leap

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Looking through all my rare blades, Finch is the only other one I have

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Possibly the Cliffs? That might be further than reviewers went but I could see some of those checks being a serious PITA for people who don't have a lot of levels in those skills (earth/leap?) though you'll have the means of hitting those checks unless you've neglected Tora and drawing blades in general.

I was thinking it was the Seal place in chapter 7. I didn't have a problem until I got there and it wanted level 5 dark and I only had two dark blades.

quote:

Perceval does. As do Zenobia and Finch.

There's a really good list here that you can search.

In a vaguely related thing the abilities like Assassinate and Chivalry and etc that rare blades have are so dumb and pointless. Just take them out!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How far into sagas's first affinity tree do you have to go to get his quest to make him good

Allthe way, baby.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Barudak posted:

Allthe way, baby.

Haha wow that sounds awful

Good thing there aren't like a million other questionable design decisions in this game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zenobia can leap too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Haha wow that sounds awful

You only need like 1700 trust I think to unlock his fifth tier, and you only need to have his fifth tier unlocked to do the quest, you don't actually need to fill out any nodes (outside of I think needing to have his cavalier attitude at level 3 for one of the last skill checks in the quest)