Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Astonishing Wang posted:

This is a reminder to not put a glass bottle of super hot tea into a sink full of ice water to cool it down. The bottom will crack and it'll start leaking tea into the sink, and you'll burn your dumb hands trying to pick up the hot bottle of tea to save it.

Also, I found some dried hibiscus flowers so I'm going to try making some Jamaica kombucha. I also bought some lavender but I don't know about using that as a flavoring.

Good idea!

I just started my 2 gallon continuous brew. poo poo gun be siickkk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good idea!

I just started my 2 gallon continuous brew. poo poo gun be siickkk.

4/1, I started my CB with very little starter and a fair bit of SCOBY, but it had been broken up by the person I got it from so it was in cut strips. (not sure why)

Queue Monday; the CB is moving along beautifully, but still too sweet to call Kombucha.

Today I get to go home and taste it for the first time since Monday and I'm very very pumped to see the results.

I've also started another gallon batch with a different SCOBY to see if this one turns out any better, taste-wise.

You've sent me down the rabbit hole.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's warm enough I can start fermenting. Does it really matter too much what type of tea you use? I have some old loose leaf I'd like to use but it's either some random green or black.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I've had success with black and green teas. The only thing I've heard about it is that you should try to keep feeding a SCOBY the same type of tea to keep it healthy - one SCOBY for green tea, one for black, etc.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I looked into it a bit, and had some info in the book I used (sorry, I'm at work right now) but the main point is that there's herbs and tea. 2 different things.

http://www.kombuchabrooklyn.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/tea_blending1.jpg

Some teas and herbs CAN make a decent tasting kombucha but can (on the long-term) cause damage and reduce efficiency to/of the SCOBY so you try to save SCOBY in a scoby hotel for experiments, but not your bottom-bitch SCOBY.

Here's the authors of the book explaining it on their site:

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/tea-and-kombucha-what-to-use-and-what-to-avoid

Good luck!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've been introducing people to Kombucha.

Very mixed results. ProTip: Do not describe it as "kind of a snotty hockey puck made of germs."

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm a bad booch daddy and I let this last round go too far to the vinegary side.

Here are some things you can do with over-aged kombucha, aka Kombucha vinegar:

1. Hair Wash/Tonic/Rinse
2. Facial Toner
3. Cleaning Fluid
4. Salad Dressing
5. Marinade

I decided that my preferred method of dealing with the sour kombucha is to FLUSH IS DOWN THE loving DRAIN. To remove clogs and stuff :shobon:

RECIPE/USES – Kombucha Kleaner

Use full strength in a spray bottle on all surfaces. Wipe clean with a soft cloth – no rinsing needed. Add a drop or two of tea tree oil or lavender oil for anti microbial properties and a pleasant scent.
Spray down showers and tubs to reduce soap scum.
Add ½ cup of Kombucha vinegar to the wash to brighten colors and soften clothes.
Remove mineral deposits from your coffee maker or dishwasher – run 1 cup of Kombucha vinegar through a cycle.
Add ½ Kombucha and ½ water to a bowl. Boil in microwave. Wipe microwave clean.
To keep the drain running – Pour baking soda down a drain, follow with Kombucha vinegar. When foaming stops, rinse with hot water. Repeat until clog is loosened.

I'll definitely be trying out the marinade options, and probably salad dressing as well. I'll report back with any successes.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This is my fourth brew. First was too flat, second was good, third molded because it was too cold in the basement and here we go with #4:

I'm curious to know how long you generally do secondary fermentation - 3 days or so?

Not sure how I'm going to flavor it, probably with fresh garden strawberries.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Planet X posted:

I'm curious to know how long you generally do secondary fermentation - 3 days or so?

Not sure how I'm going to flavor it, probably with fresh garden strawberries.

I usually let the second fermentation go for about two days but I've pulled it after only one. Strawberries are probably my favorite fruit to add so far. It's hard to beat the sweet and mellow flavor. Pineapple is pretty good too. I've been buying frozen fruit when I see it cheap, but fresh always seems better.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I got a few strong glass bottles for kombucha, but I may try just bottling it up in some of the store bought bottles as you have. I usually use some liter sized plastic bottles. That way you can feel the pressure on the plastic easily to prevent them from expanding too much.

Do you add sugar too, or just the residual sugars from the fresh fruit mash?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I just use growlers now and leave them in the fridge. I almost never add sugar, it just seems counterintuitive since I'm trying to stay away from soda. I assume most fruits you'd add would have enough sugar.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
In between getting a dog and moving from 3 houses to 1, I've let my CB go far too long. Methinks I've got some Kombucha Vinegar and a 3 inch thick scoby.

At least starting a new batch should be a cakewalk.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It seems like the scobys are pretty resilient. Clean your shitter with the vinegar 😊

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Gosh dang folks, I found a new favorite flavor. I got some plums from a friends tree and ended up freezing some. I chopped them up and put them in the booch and it tastes super good if you're a fan of plums.

The tea that I've been using for the last few batches is an earl grey with bergamot - I bought a box of ~1 lb. of loose leaf tea, and I've been using about 1/4 cup per batch.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I was making some pretty tasty stuff with the bog-standard Nestea Coldbrew packs.

I do need to step up my tea quality but I'm so overwhelmed by this house move that I haven't done diddly poo poo with my scoby friend.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm using the cheapest poo poo I can find - this was like $5/lb at the Asian market :smug:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
have you guys learnt how to just brew some loving liptons and stop drinking literal garbage yet

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Oh man, does someone like something that you don't like?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

mindphlux posted:

have you guys learnt how to just brew some loving liptons and stop drinking literal garbage yet

Regarding Kombucha: :iia: Kiss my butthole, friend.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I never thought to wonder about kombucha modern history...

https://food52.com/blog/20366-queer-history-of-kombucha

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

I've got a batch ready to go. Ginger peach flavored.

The last strawberry flavored batch was my best so far.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
One of us!

Nice man, I let mine fall by the wayside while I got a puppy and bought a house but soon the SCOBY will ride again.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My SCOBY held up to about 2 weeks in a moving box, and is now churning out booch in Mexico.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
OG scoby has died a terrible disgusting death involving flies and tiny worms. New scoby has been obtained and I'll make sure the next batch is better sealed so flies can't get in :argh:

YEAH IT'S STILL A MIRACLE DRINK, gently caress YOU!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Plastic mason jars don't get a perfect seal so they let air in and out, but are tight enough to keep out pests. My scoby has been sitting pretty for almost a year without any maintenance.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My aunt gave me a scoby for Christmas and I finally got to taste my first batch of booch this weekend. Used candied ginger (my homegrown had gone bad) for the 2nd ferment and it’s amazing. So drat gingery, so drat good.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

runchild posted:

My aunt gave me a scoby for Christmas and I finally got to taste my first batch of booch this weekend. Used candied ginger (my homegrown had gone bad) for the 2nd ferment and it’s amazing. So drat gingery, so drat good.

I like this a lot! Looks like I'm shoppin' for Ginger.

runchild
May 26, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I like this a lot! Looks like I'm shoppin' for Ginger.

I like ginger a lot, so extra-gingery was right up my alley. I just bottled my second batch with some fresh ginger last night, so I’ll report on any differences in a couple days.

Also, a reminder to everyone to be careful! The aforementioned aunt had a bottle explode yesterday. Cheap flip-top + forgetting to burp it = boom. Fortunately no one was in the kitchen, but unfortunately she didn’t take pictures.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Awesome! I've used a bunch of fresh ginger but never candied. That sounds great! I started a second ferment today - a growler of strawberry lemon and a smaller bottle of blueberry lemon - both were grown in green tea. I'm going to pick up some more black tea soon so I can mix it up.

runchild
May 26, 2010

My fresh ginger did not go as well as my candied ginger. It was much drier and dangerously fizzy - I lost about a third of the total to foam overflow. But the real disappointment was much less ginger heat and flavor. Too many variables to be sure why it all happened, so I want to split a batch between fresh and candied to get a more controlled comparison. But that’ll have to wait, cause right now I’ve got myself a pineapple! Gonna try a tepache while I’m at it, too.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
This looks like a combination of making soda and making beer. Can I die from drinking this because it looks disgusting but I almost want to try it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

This looks like a combination of making soda and making beer. Can I die from drinking this because it looks disgusting but I almost want to try it.

I guess there are probably ways that you could die from this if it goes really wrong. Don't drink anything that looks grosser than the pictures you see here in this thread.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
A couple of new recipes that I tried and liked - I blended the ingredients and mixed them into the Kombucha for a second fermentation.

Serrano Lime
------------------------------------
1/2 Serrano pepper
Juice of 1 lime
~30oz. of Kombucha

This one may need a little more lime, and I think I'll try with Jalapeno next time. I think the Jalapeno flavor will work a little better.

Apple Ginger
------------------------------------
1/2 Apple
1" ginger
~30oz. of Kombucha

This one is awesome - the apple flavor is subtle and the ginger really shines.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Ive been doing this for ages and you really cant gently caress it up.

Fermenting at this months room temp 24 - 28C (75 - 82F)

(lightly fizzed green tea Jun/kombucha from earlier today, chilled, not extra carbonated)

I originally got a kombucha scoby and something called a Jun scoby, but they have probably intermingled over time. I still keep the (mostly?)Jun one green tea and the normal one black tea.

The containers above I fill with about 4 litres (1 gallon), usually leave about 1 litre behind (tap level) and just top it up. Every so often I take out the scobys and give them a rinse and clean the containers and start again.

I pour off finished batches after about a week into soda or wine bottles and refrigerate. Occasionally I will put some in beer bottles and cap them, store at room temp for 5 days for more fizz, then refrigerate.

If I have more than I can drink in the fridge I just let the scobys go, they grow away fine, then I remove the top ones, keep the bottom one or two, dump the vinegar (and save some for vinegar...which I just drink anyway), give them a rinse and and start again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jun_(drink)

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 26, 2018

runchild
May 26, 2010

My pineapple kombucha was pretty good but the tepache...did not go well. My attempt at a ginger bug also flopped. Lotsa smelly failures for me these last couple weeks.

I moved on to my experiment comparing fresh and candied ginger, and my findings are twofold:

1) The fresh ginger accelerated fermentation somehow. I opened the first bottles after about 24 hours and got mediocre carbonation on both. 12 hours later the candied was good but the fresh overflowed. It also got drier faster, but that could just be the lack of sugar coating.

2) The candied ginger imparted more flavor in the same amount of time. Combined with the residual sugar levels and more forgiving carbonation schedule, it’s the clear winner for me.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do you make your own or are you buying the candied ginger somewhere?

runchild
May 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Do you make your own or are you buying the candied ginger somewhere?

I’m working my way through a container I got in the bulk food aisle of my grocery store.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I brewed in the past and might pick it up again. Way easier than beer and less time consuming. It is a bit hard to keep up with drinking so much of it though as the brew time is so short. I'd often run into issues with fermenting too long and it turning to vinegar. I'd say the hardest part about making Kombucha is getting the timing down.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
One of my boyfriend's friends gave me a four-pack of kombucha beer (Elderwand by Unity Vibration) for Christmas and it's piqued my interest. Is there anything I should know to avoid if trying the normal stuff for the first time? I don't intend to do any homemade until I know if I like the non-beer type. Elderwand is loving magic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

gamingCaffeinator posted:

One of my boyfriend's friends gave me a four-pack of kombucha beer (Elderwand by Unity Vibration) for Christmas and it's piqued my interest. Is there anything I should know to avoid if trying the normal stuff for the first time? I don't intend to do any homemade until I know if I like the non-beer type. Elderwand is loving magic though.

The only boozy kombucha I've had was from BoochCraft and it was awesome, but it's not as tasty just because of the alcohol - the regular kombicha will taste better generally.

• Locked thread