Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd that the one where toad moves the pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Catching up on VODs this morning. The Contra co-op run is really, really good.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 8, 2018

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'd that the one where toad moves the pieces?

Wario's Woods.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not that I would never win, but is it me or the prize minimum bid is way higher then past years?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Not that I would never win, but is it me or the prize minimum bid is way higher then past years?

overall or for a specific item? I heard a lot of complaining about the 8th gen console bundle, but hey, 150 for all three's still a steal :shrug:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheTofuShop posted:

overall or for a specific item? I heard a lot of complaining about the 8th gen console bundle, but hey, 150 for all three's still a steal :shrug:

Individual items. I noticed stuff like the figurine for Krool is 30 dollars, which that probably was a ten dollar item in past years.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This DKC RBO is mental.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna add both Donkey Kong Country runs to my recommendations list: DKC2 for being a great race with great tech and DKC Reverse boss order for ... being really insane. Another good candidate for Best run of the event for me.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
"Here try this"

*drops mic into frame*

nope :(

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Reverse boss order is almost always a wild time. Crowd honking with k-rool hits was great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how was caveman's Gunners Heaven run

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
One of the photogs ambushed me again.

https://twitter.com/uraniumanchor/status/950439329087795202

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Just watched Contra co-op, really good run, definitely watch that poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

If people feel the pain of lack of tetris, I thoroughly recommend the Wario Woods run by Peteyboo. Really good couch with informative and fun content (LISTS) and super sleek gameplay.
I swear her enthusiasm was super catching, even if I only understood some of what she said. Definitely one of the runs worth a watch to see what speedruns can also be about.

*in David Attenborough voice-over* And here we see the elusive UA, watching over his kingdom of cables, for which any messing will receive swift retribution and will require alcohol appeasement at the end of AGDQ.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this sa2 race is brutal. one guy pulling off a bunch of crazy tricks on his first try and recovering whenever he messes up, while seraphim is just left in the goddamn dust.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Colonel posted:

this sa2 race is brutal. one guy pulling off a bunch of crazy tricks on his first try and recovering whenever he messes up, while seraphim is just left in the goddamn dust.

Definitely worth watching this one for the ridiculous tricks, especially the "12% chance of not dying" one on the final stage.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Day two has definitely been pretty great. Magical Pop'n, Aladdin, Wario's Woods, both DKC games, and SA2:B were all great runs.

Edit: Add Sonic Mania to that.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 8, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently people are being banned for re-hosting AGDQ this year. Does this have anything to do with the chat being sub only?

A random example someone sent me: https://twitter.com/Forsen/status/950353455469744128

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does the charity get money from ads on rehosts? If not I'd say probably that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Half of my followers list are hosting AGDQ so I'm assuming the people getting banned were actually streaming the feed as their own instead of actually hosting it.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
The Sonic Mania speedrun is awesome.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
From what Ive heard, some of the hosting channels are being used to harbor the really toxic nature of twitch chat that sub only mode is being used to try and stop, and such channels are being banned for harboring that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Violently Car posted:

The Sonic Mania speedrun is awesome.

The Oil Ocean Zone was basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPx8ZBFQDo

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

From what Ive heard, some of the hosting channels are being used to harbor the really toxic nature of twitch chat that sub only mode is being used to try and stop, and such channels are being banned for harboring that.

Yeah the sad refuse over on reddit really want to boycott AGDQ but they can't just not watch so they've devised a system of re-hosting and having their own :airquote:uncensored:airquote: chat in order to not give any money to AGDQ. You know, for charity.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Transphobia and general toxicity are not limited by a $4.99-or-mom's-Amazon-Prime-freebie sub. There were tons of people being assholes when sub only mode was turned on and it only added to the toxicity by starting "pleb" arguments in chat. Sub only mode should have never been turned on in the first place. Now that it's off, GDQ chat is still only about "get a sub badge, plebs." As long as there aren't any awful, attention whoring may mays like waluigi's waahs that spring up this week, I think AGDQ18 is gonna pick up the pace and lead to some super exciting PBs or, dare I say, WR runs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Apparently people are being banned for re-hosting AGDQ this year. Does this have anything to do with the chat being sub only?

A random example someone sent me: https://twitter.com/Forsen/status/950353455469744128

According to https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/8/16863098/games-done-quick-twitch-chat-hosting:

quote:

A Games Done Quick representative confirmed that the organization isn't involved with Twitch's removal of other casters hosting the original stream.
Update: A Twitch representative told Polygon that "anyone is welcome to host the GDQ event as long as they're not blocked by or banned from the hosted channel and do not violate our Community Guidelines. The majority of channels hosting GDQ have done so without issue."

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodplay it again posted:

Transphobia and general toxicity are not limited by a $4.99-or-mom's-Amazon-Prime-freebie sub. There were tons of people being assholes when sub only mode was turned on and it only added to the toxicity by starting "pleb" arguments in chat. Sub only mode should have never been turned on in the first place. Now that it's off, GDQ chat is still only about "get a sub badge, plebs." As long as there aren't any awful, attention whoring may mays like waluigi's waahs that spring up this week, I think AGDQ18 is gonna pick up the pace and lead to some super exciting PBs or, dare I say, WR runs.

Sub mode is still on, there was an issue on twitch where some people subbed weren't displaying badges.

e: The idea of anyone saying "A $5 barrier to entry is horrible" on a $10 barrier to entry forum board is :ironicat:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

While I've done absolutely no research on this, EVO has always historically been sub-only mode just because it makes them that much money to do subs.

There's really nothing but benefits to just locking the chat to subs for GDQ. It's a fundraiser. Mad nerd money is still money.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No but you see freeze peach is the most important thing in the whole wide world.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for the clarification.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Chat is way better this year. Sure there is a lot of free the plebs comments but people will get over it. I checked out one of the rehosted chats. It has such "hilarious jokes" such as Blackman instead of bat man and bunch of what is this referring to a transgender person.

I can't believe people want to go back to that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Shwqa posted:

Chat is way better this year. Sure there is a lot of free the plebs comments but people will get over it. I checked out one of the rehosted chats. It has such "hilarious jokes" such as Blackman instead of bat man and bunch of what is this referring to a transgender person.

I can't believe people want to go back to that.

Yeah the only way to have done this better is if GDQ announced ahead of time that it was going to be sub mode only so everyone had enough time to get the drama out of their systems before the event instead of during

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Transphobia and general toxicity are not limited by a $4.99-or-mom's-Amazon-Prime-freebie sub.

It's not eliminated but it's certainly limited. It's also easier to moderate when people aren't spamming the n-word at a thousand messages per minute.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

It's not eliminated but it's certainly limited. It's also easier to moderate when people aren't spamming the n-word at a thousand messages per minute.

Also if you want to pay $5 for the honor of dropping an N-bomb and then have to reroll a new account and pay for a new sub to do it every time, that's fine, but by definition it's going to cut out a lot of the low-effort heavy spam

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is some data post of chat through the years. https://imgur.com/a/eh1iP

It looks like previous years they were doing about 500-600 message per minute with an average of 1 emotes per message. Now its 150 message a minutes with 1 emote per message. So basically it still a flood of emotes that no one could possibly keep up with.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

e: whoops, wrong thread!

Still pretty interesting to see that chat data, very obvious that no one with a brain should be going in there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

twitch chat is still bad and a nightmare but its less bad and less of a nightmare in sub only mode

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

twitch chat is pointless over 1000 people in a stream and people actively invested in it are probably a danger to themselves and others

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
GDQ Twitch chat has one use: Finding out if the stream issue you're having is on your end or their end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Should I expect anything exciting/fun from the Metal Gear/Halo 5 block coming up, or is that a safe time to catch up on all the VODs everyone is recommending? I'm trying to maximize my limited watch time!

Contra race, Wario Woods, and Aladdin were all good recommendations so far, and I was lucky enough to watch the Skyrim run live.

• Locked thread