Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I realized I had 99 common cores last night. Do you guys bother opening up commons? I opened about maybe 20 commons per party member so far.

Also, can I start making infinite money with golden cylinders? If so, whats the proper/efficient way? I wanna unlock lvl 5 devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can make easy infinite money as soon as arriving in Mor's city. Any place is good, even the docks but stack salvage blades if you can.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
But as many gold cylinders as you can afford, go down to the cargo transport area (which has the best yields), use all your gold cylinders, return to town and sell your loot for the big prizes at the exchange. Repeat until you reach level 5.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I stack salvage mastery blades on everyone with gold cylinders and I made a cool 700 hundo in like 10 minutes on Torigoth

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also once you hit dev 5 in an area you can buy a ton of cylinders for 5k each then go sell them somewhere else for 5k each to raise their dev level that way if you really want to.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tae posted:

The entire system is built around swapping blades, I don't know what to tell you. Like, the fastest way to do fusion combos is chaining like 6-9 arts in a row off one attack. And Rex specifically has a niche of building the fastest special because switching between Mythra and Pyra for free counts towards the meter.

That reminds me. What is a Fusion Combo? I see accessories and Aux Cores and junk that do stuff to Fusion Combos, but I don't know what they are. There might have been a tutorial like 100 hours ago that explained it, but I've forgotten and there's no way to review tutorials. (Who's hair-brained idea was that anyway?!)

Second question, I saw mentioned ages ago that there was a repeatable Merc Mission that gave useful loot for the end-game. I don't remember the nature of this loot, just that you get it from a repetable Merc Mission. Does anybody have an idea of what that is? I'm in the end-game now so I should have access to whatever it is. I'm at the point where I don't need to grind Merc Missions for Roc anymore, so I have freedom to do whatever with the Mercs.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Fishing from the big battleship nets you titanic craniums and other ingredients for sets that easily sell for 30k a pop

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Fusion Combo is doing a special Combo while the enemy is in the middle of a driver combo. Like you probably saw TOPPLE STEAM ERUPTION or LAUNCH BURNING SWORD at some point. That's a fusion combo.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silver Falcon posted:

That reminds me. What is a Fusion Combo?

A fusion combo is when an enemy is under the effect of a part of a driver combo or blade combo and you do the next step in the other combo. So like if I use a fire special to apply Heat and then I inflict break then I just did a fusion combo. Then if I topple I did another fusion combo. Then if I steam bomb while it's toppled I did another fusion combo. Etc etc.

Performing a Fusion combo also increases the time on both statuses before they fall off, I've kept Heat on an enemy for like two full minutes while I chain driver combo'd it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

poe meater posted:

I realized I had 99 common cores last night. Do you guys bother opening up commons? I opened about maybe 20 commons per party member so far.

All but one of my rare blades are from commons. Open everything.
It doesn't even feel like rare/legendary cores have that much of a difference between rare drop rates.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Fusion combos are what you get when you execute a driver combo move while a blade combo is in progress or vice versa. They’re highlighted by both the name of the driver combo stage and the name of the blade combo stage cutting across the screen; the announcer shouts something like “Ray of Light—Topple!” or “Launch—Second Sun!”

Fusion combos do extra damage and restore some of the blade combo bar, giving you more time to execute the next stage. A fusion combo with launch has the highest bonus, but it ends the driver combo sequence and you can’t smash afterward (usually). When you kill an enemy with a fusion combo, it'll say “Joint Combo Finish” at the top left and you’ll get a modest experience bonus for the kill, but not as much as you’d see from a chain attack overkill.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Just mash all your skills all the time doing small steps to cancel your auto attack combo to build up more arts until the narrator's just screaming his balls off

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay that was sort of disappointing, I just beat the level 130 superboss and I was only level 85. First try, too.

Can I finally be free?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay that was sort of disappointing, I just beat the level 130 superboss and I was only level 85. First try, too.

Can I finally be free?

Do you have all the blades with maxed out affinities

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Do you have all the blades with maxed out affinities

Im genuinely glad Ursula exists so I wouldn't even consider this for a second. I might max the affinity for the blades actually in my team or something? Or at least grind out enough cores for a KOSMOS pull.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Can I finally be free?

I would quit now, yes. YouTube the quests for blades you find interesting and play something else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I won't be done until I have every rare blade at S+ :shepface:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I just did my first enemy with 4 orbs and before it finished it flashed up something about a "Chain Combo Extra" and they all attacked it out of nowhere and did a shitload more damage.
What was that? Does it do it every time we've got more than 2 or 3 orbs?

And I just can't imagine getting every one of these blades up to S rank. Side quests in this are the worst and the blade ones aren't really that much different.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's called a full burst, if you break four orbs in three rounds or less or five orbs (I think?) total then it breaks all remaining orbs (for more damage than usual) and everyone hits will like all their arts for even more damage.

Also I can't think of a blade sidequest that I didn't like.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Full Bursting the last few bosses was immensely satisfying to watch everyone get 9999 XP.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Do his quest, he gets an entirely new affinity tree because he thinks going all out for you is beneath him before then.

ahahahaha that is amazing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There is nothing wrong with a game ending before 100%, everything ends, move on.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

That's called a full burst, if you break four orbs in three rounds or less or five orbs (I think?) total then it breaks all remaining orbs (for more damage than usual) and everyone hits will like all their arts for even more damage.

Also I can't think of a blade sidequest that I didn't like.

I had no idea! I wonder when it told me about that?

Electra's and Dahlia's quests were both super annoying. They have so many different steps and they all require so much messing around. Wulfric's was fine though.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
A fun game to play with Dahlia's quest is "Who Has the More Annoying Voice?"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The idea that someone would call Dahlia pretty was just mind blowing. Yea, the rabbit woman with breasts bigger than her back, her bum and toso at a right angle to one another and inbuilt high heels that are a spike. That's pretty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The answer is to put on the JP VA.

Taear posted:

The idea that someone would call Dahlia pretty was just mind blowing. Yea, the rabbit woman with breasts bigger than her back, her bum and toso at a right angle to one another and inbuilt high heels that are a spike. That's pretty.

Who wrote the Blade quests? If it was the guest artists, then that’d explain a whole lot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sometimes I play as Tora and jump everywhere just to hurt myself.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Speaking of the English VO, Zeke's 'opening treasure' grunts are basically Zapp Brannigan sound effects

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Who wrote the Blade quests? If it was the guest artists, then that’d explain a whole lot.

Every quest in the game does have a similar feel to it though. There's always something that forces you into doing about six steps when it feels like it should only be 3. If the guest artists did the quests then surely they'd have a definite difference to them?

The guest artists doing the affinity wheels would explain why they're so utterly wildly different though!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't often have Zeke and Tora on the same team but heard a great post-battle talk between them starting with Zeke making fun of how Nopon talk and Tora getting pissed lol. Also love how Zeke says "I'm really feeling it"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

I had no idea! I wonder when it told me about that?

Electra's and Dahlia's quests were both super annoying. They have so many different steps and they all require so much messing around. Wulfric's was fine though.

I'm not sure it ever tells you about full bursts :sigh:

There are some blade quests I haven't done yet, including those two (I don't even have Dahlia yet), so the possibility of a bad one does still exist for me.

Honestly if I could pick a blade I want nothing to do with though it would be Dahlia. If she was the last blade remaining I'm not sure how much effort I would put in to get her.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Taear posted:

Every quest in the game does have a similar feel to it though. There's always something that forces you into doing about six steps when it feels like it should only be 3. If the guest artists did the quests then surely they'd have a definite difference to them?

The guest artists doing the affinity wheels would explain why they're so utterly wildly different though!

I'm hating the Herald quest because it's making me fight the same annoying enemy type three times and then a mob of five of them that all have blowdown and no thanks

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what's the deal with some Blades having duplicate skills on their affinity wheel? like some of them will straight up have two rows that are the same exact thing but with a different Idea icon,. I still have no clue as to what "idea" means.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure it ever tells you about full bursts :sigh:

There are some blade quests I haven't done yet, including those two (I don't even have Dahlia yet), so the possibility of a bad one does still exist for me.

Honestly if I could pick a blade I want nothing to do with though it would be Dahlia. If she was the last blade remaining I'm not sure how much effort I would put in to get her.

A small girl tells Dahlia she's pretty and asks how she can be pretty too so Dahlia tells her about some flowers that help. Then the kid has vanished and her mum asks you to find her!
You speak to a bunch of kids in the town and they direct you to the lower level somewhere.

Then there's some snow mounds to knock over. Maybe 6 of them? Inside you find a nopon sage! You can either give him a fuckload of quite hard to find items (literally 100 of these four items) or pass a 9 score Ice mastery test instead. Thankfully I was able to do the latter, just.

Then you have to work out how to get to the secrety sort of place in the Upper Level. That requires another huge ice test (and I had to google where the gently caress to go). Then there's a big wall with a bunch of earth and wind mastery tests.

Finally you get a big fight when you find the girl at the top of this place.

Then you return to the inn and give it in, finally.

It just wasn't fun. Any quests that are over levels where it's hard to work out where I need to be are a pain really. The ice bridge to get to the secret place just isn't obvious at all until you walk right near the ledge and it triggers a little circle for a field test. I'd never have found it by myself. It's not as poo poo as ones that force you to do a bunch of merc missions though. That just means you're waiting for 40 minutes before you can finally finish it!

quote:

what's the deal with some Blades having duplicate skills on their affinity wheel? like some of them will straight up have two rows that are the same exact thing but with a different Idea icon,. I still have no clue as to what "idea" means.
The ideas are Bravery, Compassion, Justice and Truth. The things that you boost to get blades. They represent elemental affiliation and boost the chance of getting particular elemental blades from cores but nobody knows how much affect they actually have.
When you see it in the affinity wheel it's increasing your base stat in that area.

I've never seen duplicate skills on a wheel though.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 8, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DLC Inc posted:

Red affinity globes only work when using that special, yellow are passive abilities that are either always in effect when the blade is equipped or only in effect when the blade is active (I'm not sure if anyone has figured that out yet). Without a specific example I can only guess that you're seeing one type of bonus in each of those two nodes, so the blade gets to double dip on a special?

Idea is the Justice/Truth/Compassion/Bravery stuff that as far as we know only effects when pulling blades. Unlocking a node gives the driver that blade is bonded to a point towards the next level in that idea, which also has a hidden "level up" tree behind the scenes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

Yeah it's a lot of work, including a dreaded Unique boss fight near a cliff and a few merc missions.

The only reason why I bothered is because I switched to Tora late game for his 1 HP survival skill and I might as well give him a 3rd blade for elemental purposes.

It's not really that bad; I had read about it being bad and was expecting it to be a pain in the rear end, but it didn't take me much time at all. Maybe an hour or two, and part of that was waiting on the couple merc missions.

PJOmega posted:

Forget commons. Sell them and move on with your life.

This is terrible advice if someone aims to get most/all of the rare blades and stuff, since you'll want to find a few 4* commons to get more overdrives (not to mention the fact that maxing commons by sending them on merc missions is probably the best source of weapon skill points; you get like 4000 for maxing a 3*). And you also want a bunch of commons if you're aiming to get your merc level up.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This is terrible advice if someone aims to get most/all of the rare blades and stuff, since you'll want to find a few 4* commons to get more overdrives (not to mention the fact that maxing commons by sending them on merc missions is probably the best source of weapon skill points; you get like 4000 for maxing a 3*). And you also want a bunch of commons if you're aiming to get your merc level up.

Common cores still give rare blades. As I've said a few times all but one of my rares are from common cores.
Yea it's a shitter having to watch that animation tonnes of times but you're likely to at least get one rare blade out of it!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

An Abbreviated Summary of Sidequests in Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The dagger for me was the Bana's Chest sidequest. Anyone who's finished it knows what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

OK I figured out where I was going wrong with Salvaging for Mad Cash Moneys.

The treasure trader doesn't even show a trade as being available if you're maxed out on the Booster it offers. So after offloading some extra Boosters, suddenly I went from making about 30k gold profit per run to 500k. Yeah, KIND OF a big difference there!

Still wondering what that repeatable Merc Mission is that gives you useful loot. I had a look through my available Merc Missions and none of the repeatable ones I have give any loot at all, just the usual EXP and Merc Points.