Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i'm really enjoying the medieval times mod. what other mods go well with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Tribal Essentials and Tribals Know Nothing, and consider turning your research speed way down via the scenario editor.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Is the dropship mod still broken?

I've not used it yet but after reading all the thread i really want to try it.

Sort of. I finally got it to work by turning all my colonists hauling priority to off, expect for 1. Once you have a ship built, you can go to the loading screen and load up your cargo, but don't assign any colonists there. You have to manually click the colonists and right click the ship and tell them to load up. It's a minor hassle but that is the only way I've got it to be somewhat reliable.

If you have more than 1 colonist loading up the ship at a time it seems to crash the game, and if you have more than 1 colonist boarding the ship it seems to crash as well, so you have to work around it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fairly early in a tribal start, I just had a relatively heavily armed pirate raid try to dig into my base... straight through a huge Ancient Danger that I'd built next to. It contained five megaspiders and six pods of space dudes, who proceeded to slaughter the raiders and then all die in the resulting fire from one of the raiders' molotovs.

I love free loot! :getin:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Fairly early in a tribal start, I just had a relatively heavily armed pirate raid try to dig into my base... straight through a huge Ancient Danger that I'd built next to. It contained five megaspiders and six pods of space dudes, who proceeded to slaughter the raiders and then all die in the resulting fire from one of the raiders' molotovs.

I love free loot! :getin:

When wildlife helps you it just feels amazing, especially if its a tiny mad animal attacking mechanoids in your hour of need and inexplicably going all holy grail on them. I had a full on gollum experience with megaspiders and....the tunnel....in one map. To access the the map from the south you had to go through caves. Every few months some group would want to pass through but a message would pop up about them being afraid of the spiders. I'd vouch for their safety because the spiders were way off the main path, but every time they'd manage to fumble around in the caves long enough to get killed. By the time I decided to do some megapest control the floors were littered with goodies. The map was considerably less interesting after I eradicated them and if I roll a scenario like that again I'm just keeping them as a map feature.

Just on the subject, I had tried originally to kill them with heat by bricking them in but it just wouldn't cook in a closed off area in the caves like it does in a building. Is that related to the tip about getting under a mountain during a heatwave? Do overhead mountains just suck out heat or something?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Had a bunch of visitors checking out my colony and as they left, they encountered at the gate the caravan coming to trade and all hell broke loose. They were probably at war, though it's possible 2 rivals started duking it out and aggro'd the other group, but the result was anyhow that the visitors got massacred and the trade caravan recreated Jurassic Park 2, fleeing the map on foot while being butchered by a rampant dino horde that had been outside my walls and probably hit by stray fire.

Still, free loot and a few survivors that joined me after being patched up because they were abandoned by their group.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 8, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jose posted:

is there a way to get rid of psychite addiction just my guy kills himself whenever visitors decide they're happy and leave some flake or yayo

addictions as a whole are a real ordeal to purge. failing mods, you're looking at roughly a 2 season detox time (~30 days) with lots and lots of negative moods during the detox period, most likely leading to multiple breaks.

so my suggestion is basically to have a detox facility built. it's a real pain in the dick to set it up, but considering how much trouble it is to have a junkie around, i think you'll find it's worth it in the end.

you basically want 3 rooms that are all at least 6x6. one should be outdoor. the other two indoor. the outdoor room is the work room. the indoor ones are the store room and the bedroom.

intinerary for all of these:
work room:
- some very time consuming thing to do. art is the best but if they refuse to do art, you can set up a hand tailoring bench or something of that nature.
- horseshoe pin

bedroom:
- bed
- table
- chair
- chess table

storeroom:
- 2 seasons' food (if you're using pemmican, this is ~1k pemmican and will take 15 squares to stock)
- supplies for work (if art, wood or stone blocks)

make an area in the detox facility and restrict the sufferer to that area. then double or triple wall the entire perimeter and forget they exist for 2 seasons. be sure to keep in mind that if your sufferer is a pyro you will need to manually set a lot of things to build in stone (you can build stone or metal beds, tables, etc. they are not as good but that's not the point here).

if you need to pop in to intervene in something (they broke the bed or whatever), wait until they are showing a 'catharsis' moodlet. that will keep them stable while you do your thing. just be sure they're sealed away again by the time that moodlet runs out.

it will still suck. dealing with addictions always sucks. but this will keep them as stable as possible by giving them a safe place to get their poo poo taken care of and forcing them to be outdoors to work will both keep them occupied longer (due to the work speed penalty for outdoors) and also keep them from getting cabin fever. rehabbing pawns is a pretty important capacity to have though, unless you're down with just exiling anyone with a problem (i've never liked that much).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cabin Fever will still take root unless your outdoor area is huge, I think 300 tiles in size is the minimum. An enclosed area smaller than 300 tiles is considered an unroofed room, and still causes cabin fever. It super sucks. However cabin fever takes a week to show up, and two weeks before it gets serious, so you can still do all that and just let them out to look at the sun for a second twice a month. It adds more micro though, which is presumably what you want to avoid.

Detoxing in general is a big enough pain that personally I never allow Chemical Interested / Fascinated pawns into my colonies, although I might consider recruiting an addicted pawn without those traits, if they bring something to the colony that I really need.

If you're using a bionics mod, detoxing is easy since you can just cut their legs off and keep them in the hospital and give them bionic replacements once they get over their addiction, but if you don't have that then you pretty much have to go to a lot of effort like Coolguye outlined above.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

If you have a Chemical Fascination pawn however, just kill or exile them because they are basically addicted to every drug in the game and will go on a daily drug binge as long as they can find a path to your drugs. Restrictions or forbidding won't stop them, only walls with no doors can stop them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mzbundifund posted:

If you're using a bionics mod, detoxing is easy since you can just cut their legs off and keep them in the hospital and give them bionic replacements once they get over their addiction, but if you don't have that then you pretty much have to go to a lot of effort like Coolguye outlined above.

Bionic parts are in the base game, you just have to buy them instead of manufacturing them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hm, weird, i must have not noticed cabin fever last time i built a detox facility if it works like that. i wonder if that changed recently.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coolguye posted:

hm, weird, i must have not noticed cabin fever last time i built a detox facility if it works like that. i wonder if that changed recently.

Must have, I used to keep a small area in the middle of my base open with some trees for that purpose

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Set Up Camp mod, "caravan" to the tile right next to your main base, permanent mini settlement with no drugs of any sort. No need for walls or juggling cabin fever. Just ship the assholes off to your work camp. Arbeit Macht Frie sign is optional.

Or just give them to Dagon as a payment for his blessings, but I assume that's not supposed to be an option.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Detox camps are probably my favorite idea that I've never needed to implement. Psychology's methadone and options to treat things such as pyromania, anxiety, and chemical fascination might tax my medicine stores, but getting people on a regimen of sage smoke for their problems is a pretty quick one with a good grower.

bird food bathtub posted:

Set Up Camp mod, "caravan" to the tile right next to your main base, permanent mini settlement with no drugs of any sort. No need for walls or juggling cabin fever. Just ship the assholes off to your work camp. Arbeit Macht Frie sign is optional.

Or just give them to Dagon as a payment for his blessings, but I assume that's not supposed to be an option.

:godwinning:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can caravan to set up addicts in a detox zone in vanilla, but the reality of the situation is that due to the inherent instability of addicts, they're very likely to get themselves into a horrible spiral a long way away from anyone - and you still need to do the most intensive part (prepare a nontrivial amount of food for them) before they leave.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Warmachine posted:

Detox camps are probably my favorite idea that I've never needed to implement. Psychology's methadone and options to treat things such as pyromania, anxiety, and chemical fascination might tax my medicine stores, but getting people on a regimen of sage smoke for their problems is a pretty quick one with a good grower.

:godwinning:

What if they have methadone addiction, smarty pants? :colbert:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I got a chemical fascination guy with great shooting skill who was a passionate cook, and I figured I could totally use that. I've had good luck with just arresting people going on drug binges. Sure it's kind of annoying to have to do, but I kept my chemical interest people happy and so I basically never had to deal with it.

Unfortunately this chemical fascination guy had a horrible scar on his torso that caused constant pain, so he was constantly breaking down. And my colony produced massive quantities of Flake as its primary export. So that was an issue! Eventually I got the bright idea to buy a pain stopper to get rid of the bad mood for pain. This guy was also a nudist so he was really happy about that all the time, and I set him to joy activities half the day because I really just needed him to shoot and help with cooking every now and then, not for constant labor. I would make sure this guy was too drat happy to ever break.

There were three things I didn't know. First, Chemical Fascination is not the same as Chemical Interest. My Chemical Interest colonists are only into soft drugs, so they had never been tempted by my massive piles of flake, and I had no beer or smokeleaf. Second, binges aren't really breaks- 100% happy pawns will still randomly go on binges. Third, it is impossible to arrest someone with a painstopper without killing them.

tl;dr: I accidentally created an uncontrollable naked drug fueled monster who feels no pain. I've walled him into his room for now, but I don't really know what to do with him now. This is pretty awkward.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 9, 2018

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think Painstoppers are kind of a faustian bargain even on non-idiot pawns. It's quite possible for a pawn to get tore up while assaulting a seige or get caught out by a sudden manhunter pack spawning near them, and if they're immune to pain they'll either stay standing until they die rather than lying down and having the manhunters lose interest in them, or else get so badly damaged that they move at 1 meter per week, but can't be taken to a hospital because they're technically still standing, and by the time they bleed enough to be forced down despite the lack of pain, there's not enough time to take them to bed and treat their wounds before they die.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, this was the first time I'd used a painstopper and they seem... really bad! I didn't know that unconsciousness was almost entirely a product of pain. The ability to go unconscious when you're hosed up is important!

This guy is good at melee too. Maybe I'll just give him a sword and let him fight to the death next time I get a raid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

painstoppers are great if you are in a situation where you can expect someone to be solo or mostly solo. particularly since self-treatment came out, it means that someone could get beaten up and still slap a tourniquet on themselves to stop them from bleeding out.

in a situation where you can reasonably expect help from comrades, painstoppers become very bad very fast. which is most situations.

e: that said, we freaking need one of the properties of EPOE in vanilla - that is, someone with sufficiently high medicine (i think like 10) can use glitter meds to just out and out cure scars.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 9, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

painstoppers are great if you are in a situation where you can expect someone to be solo or mostly solo. particularly since self-treatment came out, it means that someone could get beaten up and still slap a tourniquet on themselves to stop them from bleeding out.

in a situation where you can reasonably expect help from comrades, painstoppers become very bad very fast. which is most situations.

e: that said, we freaking need one of the properties of EPOE in vanilla - that is, someone with sufficiently high medicine (i think like 10) can use glitter meds to just out and out cure scars.

They're not something you want to slap on everyone, but you can do worse than making a squad of pain-immune commandos that run around sacking pirate bases.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Epoe needs synthetic skin to fix scars, iirc.

Regardless, I completely agree.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

Epoe needs synthetic skin to fix scars, iirc.

Regardless, I completely agree.

oh right, epoe hardcore got split off onto some other mod name because of the huge confusion exchanges like this one caused. i forget what the new name is. :/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Chronic pain from scars is nuuuuuuuuuuuuts.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

Chronic pain from scars is nuuuuuuuuuuuuts.

Seriously.

Alright FINE I'll get the animal riding mod. Surely my bloated mod list can handle one more weird gimmick.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

#rimworld

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Seriously.

Alright FINE I'll get the animal riding mod. Surely my bloated mod list can handle one more weird gimmick.

What do you call bloat? I'm at 144 currently.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

It gives the animal handlers with no combat skill a purpose in combat that for sure. Too bad the jedi guy is poo poo at ridding the ostriches.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

wit posted:

What do you call bloat? I'm at 144 currently.

Mind posting your current mod list and load order?.

I'm running about 30 i think, maybe a touch more and im having some annoying errors which are why I've not added anymore yet.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Fist time using the jedi & lighsaber mods:

:thunk:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Mind posting your current mod list and load order?.

I'm running about 30 i think, maybe a touch more and im having some annoying errors which are why I've not added anymore yet.

I was actually in the process of going through them all and color coding them and reordering them, categorising them in terms of QOL, immersion, anime as gently caress-ness and trimming redundant ones etc but heres a dump. (there is a mod to color them and also a mod to dump them because why not)

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The Esoteric Order of Yog-Sothoth gathered in reverence for a glorious sacrifice performed by the Reverend Novak. Cthulhu did not deign to grace her with His psionic growths, but a multitude of rats appeared from the altar, allowing the Order to genetically engineer many chicken-rabbits. Praise Cthulhu, He works in mysterious ways.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 10, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dang there's some crazy cool looking mods out since I was last playing Rimworld a few months ago :eyepop:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Has anybody tried the psychoid tea? I was thinking of letting my colonists have some, as long as they rotate through beer, ambrosia, tea and smokeleaf, that should keep them from getting addicted to any of them right?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Dang there's some crazy cool looking mods out since I was last playing Rimworld a few months ago :eyepop:

I'm having a delightful time with Run and Gun in my from-scratch save, as being able to leapfrog between cover while shooting adds some more tension to the wild west revolvers and shotguns battles I'm in. That said, the goddamn Brotherhood of Nod is a pain in the dick to deal with because of their loving laser beams.

If I ever get around to modding again, I really want to make an alien races mod series for the Endless Space races.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cugel posted:

Fist time using the jedi & lighsaber mods:

:thunk:

Well yeah it's a lightsaber.

That means it will cut off whatever it hits, so it isn't necessarily an instant kill unless you get lightsabered in a vital organ.

The main oddity is going to be that it will presumably also instantly destroy walls unless bashing doesn't take into account weaponry and only uses your natural attack.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 10, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Holy poo poo tornadoes are straight bullshit. Had one spawn in my base and destroy:
5 generators
2 colonists
every single EPOE workbench
2 component benches
10 hospital beds
4 batteries
a stockpile of components
1 refinery
1 communications thing
2 refrigerators

all in about 15 seconds. gently caress that poo poo im reloading.

Edit: Just got hit with another tornado. Do they even stop on their own, or do they have to go to the edge of the map? Also their paths seem... less than random.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 10, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've had this game for ages yet never make it past the first year.
There just seems to be this hang up where I will manually set priorities but they don't follow it all that well.

That and I don't know what to prioritize.
I make loads of food, fill a fridge, make medicine and decent defenses and then everyone dies to a loving squirrel.

Edit: I'll spend the time to make sure all my people don't have any tasks they cannot do but then will refuse to do things in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah it's a lightsaber.

That means it will cut off whatever it hits, so it isn't necessarily an instant kill unless you get lightsabered in a vital organ.

The main oddity is going to be that it will presumably also instantly destroy walls unless bashing doesn't take into account weaponry and only uses your natural attack.

Make sense, but the same light saber with the cheap crystal thingy was 10.5 damage per second. The current crystal I bought for more than 6000 silvers.