Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Rastor posted:

LG says their 2018 OLEDs will support 120Hz refresh and that their image processing is so much better that it's better than Sony

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860496/lg-4k-oled-ai-super-uhd-tv-specs-google-assistant-alexa-announced-ces-2018

When do these generally come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Residency Evil posted:

When do these generally come out?

I believe you'll see the mainstream model (C8 rather than the B8 as that one has been gimped a bit) in the spring with the rest of the lineup in time for the world cup in the summer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rastor posted:

LG says their 2018 OLEDs will support 120Hz refresh and that their image processing is so much better that it's better than Sony

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/8/16860496/lg-4k-oled-ai-super-uhd-tv-specs-google-assistant-alexa-announced-ces-2018

Kinda sucks that it won't have hdmi 2.1 so no 4k 120hz pc monitor shenanigans.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not looking forward to a World Cup in a horrible time zone for me, with most the teams I like not being there.

First World Cup I’m not gonna be able to watch properly so I’m just grumbling. Gone are the days where I had so much holiday time from work I could just watch every game in the middle of the time in bliss.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

Man, that is one stupid looking stand, however, it's not even the worst one:

Having that tacky PC gaming look on a desk is one thing but who would want that in their living room. Absolutely hideous.

EDIT:

Here's the HP one, the least offensive looking one imo:

Nividia said that they are targeting even the very large displays to be sitting on the desk. These are not intending to be living room TVs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Nividia said that they are targeting even the very large displays to be sitting on the desk. These are not intending to be living room TVs.

Why does it have the shield and streaming features then?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Why is this HP's press image then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Why does it have the shield and streaming features then?

Because the Shield is a Geforce Now platform.

Rastor posted:

Why is this HP's press image then?

HP gonna HP. I'm just going by what Nividia said.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Incessant Excess posted:

Note that this seems to lack a TV tuner, making it a big monitor rather than a TV.

Which is sort of irrelevant because I haven't plugged a coaxial cable directly into my TV in 20 years -- even before cord cutting. And I imagine a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think probably nVidia saying "these are not intending to be living room TVs" can actually be translated as "we are not going to compete on price with other brands of TVs, these are XXXTREME GAMERRR products and there is an accompanying markup"

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rastor posted:

I think probably nVidia saying "these are not intending to be living room TVs" can actually be translated as "we are not going to compete on price with other brands of TVs, these are XXXTREME GAMERRR products and there is an accompanying markup"

65 inch full array local dimming alone means this thing won't be cheap. Gonna be interesting if they price it higher than a 65 inch C8 OLED.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This thing owns:

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/950487468930936833

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I love the idea of it only rolling out certain sections depending on activity.

Also Samsung built a modular "microLED" panel for building custom screen sizes. The seem is not visible when content is playing. And microLEDs are self illuminated so they can obtain OLED picture quality.

Of course it's CES so all grains of salt come with it.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/7/16861790/samsung-the-wall-microled-modular-tv-announced-ces-2018

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

For years now my dream TV has been an imaginary giant computer monitor.

-Low latency.
-Minimal image processing.
-Instant on/no boot-up time for a bunch of apps I'll never use.

For a split second I thought those Nividia based gaming TVs might fit the bill but now I'm afraid having an Nividia shield means slow start-up will still be a problem. I hate living in a future where I can't change the input on my TV because the drat thing is still booting up.

Also they look tacky.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you have the space and budget $400 seems to be the price point retailers are trying to hit for entry level 4k 55" screens.

Sorry I should have said that I can't go above 40 or so, and 32 was my floor. Sounds like it's a solid size / price range to work with?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BonoMan posted:

I love the idea of it only rolling out certain sections depending on activity.

Also Samsung built a modular "microLED" panel for building custom screen sizes. The seem is not visible when content is playing. And microLEDs are self illuminated so they can obtain OLED picture quality.

Of course it's CES so all grains of salt come with it.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/7/16861790/samsung-the-wall-microled-modular-tv-announced-ces-2018

The real issue with that display is density. They didn't make a 146" display for show at CES. That's the smallest size they can make for 4k.

So, let's bin that with real QLED as promises that Samsung will deliver "sometime."

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Where's my Razer tv damnit! I need it to look tackier so everyone knows I'm a hardcore PC gamer

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

McCracAttack posted:

-Low latency.

For a split second I thought those Nividia based gaming TVs might fit the bill but now I'm afraid having an Nividia shield means slow start-up will still be a problem. I hate living in a future where I can't change the input on my TV because the drat thing is still booting up.

Also they look tacky.

What kind of TV do you have that takes longer than 3 seconds to turn on? I didn't know that was a real issue.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

wandler20 posted:

What kind of TV do you have that takes longer than 3 seconds to turn on? I didn't know that was a real issue.

I know some newer RCA TVs take ~5 seconds to turn on and switch between inputs.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Where's my Razer tv damnit! I need it to look tackier so everyone knows I'm a hardcore PC gamer

Definitely needs more RGB LEDs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Zogo posted:

I know some newer RCA TVs take ~5 seconds to turn on and switch between inputs.
RCA makes TVs?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wandler20 posted:

I'd say my LG takes ~10 seconds to turn on. I don't really care but it's definitely more than 3.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
3 seconds sounds about right for my Sony as well if I had to guess.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

-Low latency.

Also they look tacky.

You shouldn't worry too much about the shield component if their box is anything to go by, it's extremely quick to boot. I'd MUCH rather have that built in than any other smart TV stuff.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Katosabi posted:

You shouldn't worry too much about the shield component if their box is anything to go by, it's extremely quick to boot. I'd MUCH rather have that built in than any other smart TV stuff.

Yeah Shield should be a leap up from other Smart TV platforms, at least on a basic processing power / responsiveness basis.

I'm guessing it will be in a sleep/standby mode as long as you keep the set powered.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, Nivida is sure reaping dividends from keeping their X1 processor in production for the Switch.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
What are the chances 2017 models of TVs go on sale/clearance in the next month or so? Hoping I can snag a x900e for cheap since CES just happened.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Ouhei posted:

What are the chances 2017 models of TVs go on sale/clearance in the next month or so? Hoping I can snag a x900e for cheap since CES just happened.

Won't happen until the 2018 models are actually available to buy in stores.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's probably going to be sales for the Superbowl/olympics but I don't see them being any cheaper than what they were around Christmas.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Panasonic and Sony announced UHD players with DV.

They also both announced the update isn't coming till the summer. Oh for fucks sake. Why is Oppo the only one who hasn't pulled their update?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I am officially Not Caring About HDR Formats until 2019 at the earliest, chasing early implementations just to have "everything" seems like short money. They're going to have the worst support for these formats of any hardware ever released. I'll care about it again when HDMI 2.1 hardware is stable.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

qirex posted:

There's probably going to be sales for the Superbowl/olympics but I don't see them being any cheaper than what they were around Christmas.

That might be enough. Right now the best deal is a refurbed 75" x900e for $2300, which seems like a better buy than a new x850e for $2300.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

qirex posted:

I am officially Not Caring About HDR Formats until 2019 at the earliest, chasing early implementations just to have "everything" seems like short money. They're going to have the worst support for these formats of any hardware ever released. I'll care about it again when HDMI 2.1 hardware is stable.

HDR owns and you should care. I'd take HDR over 4K. I don't care much about which one wins because my TV supports both.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wandler20 posted:

HDR owns and you should care. I'd take HDR over 4K. I don't care much about which one wins because my TV supports both.
I have a HDR TV and several HDR-capable sources, I'm just not going to give a gently caress about Dolby Vision vs HDR10+ vs HLG or buy any more hardware specifically for compatibility with those formats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, HDR10 is pretty much all you need to care about. MAYBE HLG for YouTube and eventual broadcast. That gets you 98% of the way there.

DV is just that last 2% on capable hardware.

I am intrigued by Panasonic's new player that offers additional tone mapping on HDR10 content for low nit displays. That may be helpful for LGs OLEDs and HDR10 content since they don't get as bright. We'll see how it fares in real life.

Since Panasonic offers an OLED based on LG's panel that doesn't have DV, it could end up being very well optimized for that use case.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just hate the grain of Netflix shows with DV. My 1080p sources without grain look way better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They still have the grain. DV has nothing to do with grain.

4k allows grain to be resolved better and HDR can highlight it, but those are separate things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Netlix 4K/HDR looks like garbage. I don’t even bother having a subscription with them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like I can't even show off my OLED with Netflix. I have to use Amazon Prime but there isn't nearly as many good shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Last couple shows I've watched on Netflix that have HDR have looked good to me. Stranger Things S2, Punisher, and Chef's Table.