Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah I’ve thought about midsize grips, but I chose this one as a compromise. There’s very little taper, and they’re half-cord, which I love. My current grips are all rubber.

PYF wild-rear end guesses to stupid questions.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

It sounds like your grips are too small. Have you tried midsize?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Yeah I’ve thought about midsize grips, but I chose this one as a compromise. There’s very little taper, and they’re half-cord, which I love. My current grips are all rubber.
Reduced taper grips like the MCC don't really help with grip issues since your upper hands primarily control grip. Reduce taper is just supposed to help your lower hand a little bit when you choke down.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

Reduced taper grips like the MCC don't really help with grip issues since your upper hands primarily control grip. Reduce taper is just supposed to help your lower hand a little bit when you choke down.

Ah, well, that may be good as I tend to choke down on long irons and hybrids to get more control. Which re-raises the question: why not get shorter long irons? This forum had a small spasm when I asked about one-length irons for my clubs longer than an 8I. Why is choking up OK but simply using a shorter club bad?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Ah, well, that may be good as I tend to choke down on long irons and hybrids to get more control. Which re-raises the question: why not get shorter long irons? This forum had a small spasm when I asked about one-length irons for my clubs longer than an 8I. Why is choking up OK but simply using a shorter club bad?

I mean, how much exactly are we talking about when you choke down? I'll choke down maybe half a inch if that if I wanna take some off a longer iron.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah, something like that. Half-inch, 3/4 inch. Not sure, never measured but that sounds about right.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I only choke down if the distance is in-between clubs.

5 papers on my grips. Love it.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Lincoln posted:

Why is choking up OK but simply using a shorter club bad?

Gripping down the club will cause the trajectory to flatten out, so it's an entirely situational play.

Conversely, at least a handful times per round, you are likely going to need to hit a high, soft-landing shot with a long iron. The problem is, if your long irons are shorter than standard, that specific shot is no longer in your bag.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Homestar Runner posted:

Gripping down the club will cause the trajectory to flatten out, so it's an entirely situational play.

Conversely, at least a handful times per round, you are likely going to need to hit a high, soft-landing shot with a long iron. The problem is, if your long irons are shorter than standard, that specific shot is no longer in your bag.

That's what hybrids are for :colbert:

My buddy has all his clubs cut way down because he's short and he doesn't lose any distance. He also doesn't add any weight to the heads either so the swingweights are very low, but it's what he's used to.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Josh Lyman posted:

It sounds like your grips are too small. Have you tried midsize?

After 3 range sessions with the no-taper standard grips, I knew it wasn’t what I needed. So this morning I put the midsize version of the same grip (Golf Pride half-cord no taper) on my 5I and hit a bucket of balls. WORLD of difference, especially when my swing thought was “soft hands.” Everything flew straight — hit a few fat, but hey. Good distance. It’s just one bucket, but I’m really, really optimistic. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I should have a segment on Golf Channel :smug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This is a long shot as I think there’s only one of you within driving range of Florida but I have a 4 some booked for my birthday next Friday at King and Bear at the World Golf Village in saint Augustine and one of my friends bailed on me so I have an extra spot. Anyone interested? Weather should be perfect.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Ok so it’s me again. I’ve hit about half a dozen buckets with the new midsize grips on my 5I, and it’s crazy good ... only when I’m thinking about a soft grip and every other aspect of my swing comes together. You know, the hit parade: straight left arm, immobile head, slow backswing & transition, hit down & through the ball, complete follow-through. Any time any one of those is off, it’s bad news. So how much work does it take at this point to get everything to come together at least 50% of the time?

In three years of playing golf, my process has been: fix one thing, gently caress up one or more of 8 other things. Pick one new thing, fix it, gently caress up one of 7 remaining things. Subtract one, repeat. I can, at this point, hit beautiful shots...25% of the time. On the driving range. Assuming diligent practice, how much better should I be, come spring? My scores hover around 95. No one part of my game is particularly strong or weak.

This thread has been very helpful, and my goal this spring will be to move up from #5 in my regular fivesome. They’ve all golfed for multiple decades.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Ok so it’s me again. I’ve hit about half a dozen buckets with the new midsize grips on my 5I, and it’s crazy good ... only when I’m thinking about a soft grip and every other aspect of my swing comes together. You know, the hit parade: straight left arm, immobile head, slow backswing & transition, hit down & through the ball, complete follow-through. Any time any one of those is off, it’s bad news. So how much work does it take at this point to get everything to come together at least 50% of the time?

In three years of playing golf, my process has been: fix one thing, gently caress up one or more of 8 other things. Pick one new thing, fix it, gently caress up one of 7 remaining things. Subtract one, repeat. I can, at this point, hit beautiful shots...25% of the time. On the driving range. Assuming diligent practice, how much better should I be, come spring? My scores hover around 95. No one part of my game is particularly strong or weak.

This thread has been very helpful, and my goal this spring will be to move up from #5 in my regular fivesome. They’ve all golfed for multiple decades.
One thing to remember is that the golf swing is dynamic. What I mean is that if you change one thing in your swing, it will often affect other parts of your swing and not necessarily for the better. That's why it's important to have a good instructor if you want to improve your game. In my experience, the worst instructors fixate on textbook tools or techniques or positions.

The most hilarious instance of this was when I went to an Edwin Watts that had recently opening up a large teaching space in the store. A new young teacher, couldn't have been more than 24, came over to me and offered a free lesson. He said my backswing was too flat/inside and gave me a drill to have the butt of the club draw a line straight back from the ball. In other words, if you have an alignment stick extending backward from your ball, imagine you have a laser in the butt of your grip (he had an actual iron with this) and have it trace right on top of the alignment stick. If you actually try, this, you'll realize it's a hilariously bad idea that prevents you from actually making a shoulder turn, causes an insanely steep shaft angle on the back swing, and contorts your wrists into useless, even dangerous positions.

The concept he was trying to apply has to do with one moment on one camera angle, this one:

Trying to trace back from the ball either before or after this moment is what gets you into weird angles, but an instructor who doesn't really know what they're doing takes the idea and runs with it. Nevermind that I don't have the same grip, torso/leg proportions, or arm length as Adam Scott. Nevermind that having a slightly flat/inside takeaway isn't necessarily problem. Nevermind that, as a scratch golfer which I told him, trying to get me to drastically change my backswing is a terrible idea as opposed to trying to limit my misses.

Basically, find a good teacher (which I know is hard) and work on his advice regularly, not just during the teaching sessions.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 24, 2017

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

In my experience, the worst instructors fixate on textbook tools or techniques or positions.

Lyman absolutely 100% on point as usual.

Conversely, a good instructor will mostly focus on tangible swing sensations. Mark Crossfield understands this particularly well and is a very solid bet from the selection of online Youtube instructors.

Lincoln posted:

You know, the hit parade: straight left arm, immobile head, slow backswing & transition, hit down & through the ball, complete follow-through. Any time any one of those is off, it's bad news. So how much work does it take at this point to get everything to come together at least 50% of the time?

Okay this is far too many thought processes at once, and is probably leading to some serious paralysis-by-analysis imo.

I think you need to start swapping out these individual swing-thought components, for cohesive swing sensations.

In my view, what you should be focusing on is one backswing sensation, and one downswing sensation. Anything more complicated than that and you'll just be spinning your tires.

So yeah, find a good "feel-oriented" instructor. In the meantime, strongly recommend that you check out some of Mark Crossfield's instruction vids on his Youtube channel, because he'll likely have some easily repeatable swing ideas to help you simplify everything.

(Disclaimer: I play to a 2 handicap)

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
In terms of the practice thing, after putting a skytrak sim in my garage and hitting 300-600 balls a week since the end of October, working with an instructor this summer to narrow my miss down to one side of the fairway (pull hook mainly), and using the drills on the meandmygolf site to fix it I can say that my swing is finally super repeatable and where it used to take me almost an entire bucket to feel warmed up to pure shots I only need about 25 balls or so. For me, I sort of go through my swing like a flow chart where each point in the swing almost feels like a checklist I'm going through and after practicing enough times I have the same checklist/flowchart every single time I hit a shot. It seems to take a lot of the overthinking out of the swing for me and as long as I go through my steps I normally pure the shot.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Just smash it!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm signing up for a winter simulator league that starts in a couple weeks and looking forward to it. The price is reasonable and they have skins so hopefully my partner and I can play for free. Have any of you guys done one of these before? I think they use foresight simulators and I'm not sure if we'll have to putt or if they just do a guaranteed 2-putt or something.

Liberator_44
Jul 25, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for golf course vlogs from courses in the US? I've watched tons from the UK, but would like to see some courses I might be able to play on some day. I've checked out Golfholics, but looking for others!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Liberator_44 posted:

Anyone have recommendations for golf course vlogs from courses in the US? I've watched tons from the UK, but would like to see some courses I might be able to play on some day. I've checked out Golfholics, but looking for others!

There really aren't any good ones that I know of besides Golfholics.

Some of the big UK youtubers have done vlogs in the US though. Meandmygolf did some out in California and Crossfield has done a few as well, particularly in the southeast.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Anyone know how to get a set of clubs sent internationally? I'm in europe and want to get my clubs sent over to france, but don't want to get drilled on delivery costs/ import fees for something I should've just thrown on the plane when I came here. Is there a cheap way to do this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Anyone know how to get a set of clubs sent internationally? I'm in europe and want to get my clubs sent over to france, but don't want to get drilled on delivery costs/ import fees for something I should've just thrown on the plane when I came here. Is there a cheap way to do this?

Shipping your own stuff is different from importing/exporting purchases, but it's always going to cost good money to ship heavy items, especially internationally.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sergio is apparently rolling Calaway now if their marketing email I just got is to be believed.

Kameh, update your clubs accordingly.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DJExile posted:

Shipping your own stuff is different from importing/exporting purchases, but it's always going to cost good money to ship heavy items, especially internationally.

Yeah i don't mind the shipping costs, but tryng to establish that they're mine and not an import is what I'm not sure doing.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJExile posted:

Sergio is apparently rolling Calaway now if their marketing email I just got is to be believed.

Kameh, update your clubs accordingly.

The Crossfield-Titleist-Taylormade ordeal is more entertaining than any of the tour player news lol

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Suprfli6 posted:

The Crossfield-Titleist-Taylormade ordeal is more entertaining than any of the tour player news lol

I mentioned up the page that I quite like Crossfield's swing ideas.

That aside, he is a gigantic baby with zero semblance of professionalism or business acumen and he's apparently very intent on creating a big embarrassing drama over nothing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Taylormade didn’t send him any gear to review last year either. Seems like he’s just making fun of TM.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Taylormade didn’t send him any gear to review last year either. Seems like he’s just making fun of TM.

That's how I saw it too. He still goes out and "buys" TM stuff to test.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Is Crossfield asking his audience to kickstart his golf review blog because the big bad OEMs won’t play ball? https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-testing/

MyGolfSpy puts out some decent data driven content but it seems like they’re jockeying to cash out on their gimmick. Could be a few bucks well spent if they actually raffle all that merch off though...odds can’t be that bad.

edit: no way these fools cant get clubs at wholesale so they’re marking up the donation request 30-40%

pmac fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 5, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pmac posted:

Is Crossfield asking his audience to kickstart his golf review blog because the big bad OEMs won’t play ball? https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-testing/

MyGolfSpy puts out some decent data driven content but it seems like they’re jockeying to cash out on their gimmick. Could be a few bucks well spent if they actually raffle all that merch off though...odds can’t be that bad.

edit: no way these fools cant get clubs at wholesale so they’re marking up the donation request 30-40%
Unless I’m missing something, Crossfield has never had anything to do with MyGolfSpy. As for that site, it’s only good for prerelease pics and not much else. Even the official GoldWRX reviews are kinda trash.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
Play what looks good imo (Mizuno and Titleist)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Have any of the recent driver technologies actually done what they claimed? I know people were raving about Jailbreak but I never saw any reviews that showed higher smash factors. All the various slots that are supposed to help ballspeed on off center strikes could help I guess but that's very hard to test for. None of the aerodynamic features actually raised clubhead speeds by more than a fraction of a mph in the reviews I saw which is well within a person's normal range of speeds.

I have a 2016 M2 because that's what Tiger has, that's obviously the best way to pick a club.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I really doubt it. Driver technology is so maxed to the bleeding edge of what is legal across all of the OEMs that I sincerely doubt you’d see any major differentiation between them.

And if you did you’d sure as poo poo know about it. Having the proper shaft in the driver would probably do worlds more good for nearly every amateur golfer.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless I’m missing something, Crossfield has never had anything to do with MyGolfSpy. As for that site, it’s only good for prerelease pics and not much else. Even the official GoldWRX reviews are kinda trash.

Nope, you’re not missing anything. Poorly written comment by me. Meant that at least he’s not doing dumb crowdfunding like MyGolfSpy.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

Play what looks good imo (Mizuno and Titleist)

Top post here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone else watching the final round in Maui?

DJ just hit a drive on a par 4 within 2 inches! 433 yards. Christ.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Anyone else watching the final round in Maui?

DJ just hit a drive on a par 4 within 2 inches! 433 yards. Christ.

That's loving insane but Kapalua's layout means even Brian Harman is hitting 350 yard drives.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

That's loving insane but Kapalua's layout means even Brian Harman is hitting 350 yard drives.

Harman seems like a little bitch. Like he’s got that short guy complex and just seems to be bitching and moaning about everything.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DJ eagled that par 4 in back to back rounds, that's pretty cool. I did that once but the hole is ~240 instead of 433. Close enough though imo.

Anyone have any grip tape and solvent recommendations? I'm planning on doing my whole bag in the next couple months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Grip tape is grip tape, in my experience.

For solvent, just get a big thing of lighter fluid. It's cheaper than any other options and does the exact same thing.