Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I AM BRAWW posted:

Is the AUG or the Commando better for IQ?

I have been trying the Commando for a while after getting a sweet skin for it, but I'll probably go back to the AUG. The recoil on the Commando feels relatively really harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Rook owns for being able to tank damage around obj. His problem is that his hitbox was modeled on a refrigerator box but the solution to that is to park him behind desks and chairs so you have to shoot through stuff to kill him.

Apparently he's a very controversial operator around here though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Rook chat: He was super loving useful to me as a newbie, especially because I wasn't so great at FPS games using a mouse and keyboard yet, so I was trying my loving hardest to just aim straight.

I would also suggest newbies pick up Kapkan and Fuze. Kapkan will net you free kills and "barricade door, drill laser" is a pretty simple task and makes you rush in prep phases, which is something they should be doing anyway. Fuze is just loving hilarious to play and even if you kill the hostage you have a good time.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
rook isn't bad, just boring

and yes a skilled rook player will certainly have the attackers sitting there thinking "wow that rook is playing very well and contributing to their team" followed by a sigh of relief because that's one less trap/camera/3 speed to worry about

Deltasquid posted:

I used to use the AUG but a lot of people swear by the Commando. I think it's the fact that you can put a foregrip on it and it has higher damage that makes it a bit more reliable, but it's personal choice.

fwiw IQ is my most played op and i have generally ran with the Commando (angled+flash hider) when playing seriously because i'm not banging high RoF headshots as often as just dumping into the body. the slight increase in dmg per shot is noticeable imo

i feel like the aug is better in tight corners. its the same with the mp5 vs p90

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Had a fun (not fun) casual game yesterday against a group that went recruit every round and tried all kinds of weird gimicks one of which was to all go Russian recruit with the machine gun as attackers and just surround the point (which had more walls than we could reinforce) and just mag dump 500 rounds untill the walls just disappeared. We got crushed hard.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Is the AUG or the Commando better for IQ?

The Commando will kill anything it hits, but if you actually want to hit something the AUG is your choice. So it's basically personal preference.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The Aug takes up like 99% of the screen unscoped though. That thing is enormous, and even bigger yet with an ACOG.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Basticle posted:

Had a fun (not fun) casual game yesterday against a group that went recruit every round and tried all kinds of weird gimicks one of which was to all go Russian recruit with the machine gun as attackers and just surround the point (which had more walls than we could reinforce) and just mag dump 500 rounds untill the walls just disappeared. We got crushed hard.

This is why I unironically love the game.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Thief posted:

even better is when someone vaults into danger but pulls off a bullshit headshot before they land in the trap or fall to death like they're in a Jason Bourne freefall

This video features two mats in plain sight along with a bullshit headshot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjHr6kqFXM

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q_9Fyy0T1E

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ive only played this game for a few weeks but I think I agree rook is a good starting OP. Simple ability that has a net benefit and then you can anchor or wander slightly off objective and still help out. Its good to have some simplicity when learning because even learning which walls to reinforce can be overwhelming.

Also if one more pubbie reinforces the floor in the objective room so i cant use it to flank im gonna lose my mind. Cielings ok reinforce very important but floors? Why?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it'll compromise a select few anchor locations but otherwise the only time you really see ppl sealing the floor hatch is to make it as hard as possible to extract with the hostage

in bomb its usually bad because on the off chance they plant in the hatch im pretty sure you can breach it to instantly destroy the defuser

Polka_Rapper posted:

This video features two mats in plain sight along with a bullshit headshot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EjHr6kqFXM

lol a cool frost buff would cause wriggle damage to people stuck in the trap

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Cielings ok reinforce very important but floors? Why?

To counter Ash...?
(not really)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm guessing that Frost didn't slow her bleeding as soon as she went down, because I'd think she would have lasted just a tiny bit longer that you would have.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So I bought the Starter Edition.

Help.

Can I buy the Standard Edition and pretend nothing happened, or will there be some weird account fuckery that prevents it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Airspace posted:

Help.

Can I buy the Standard Edition and pretend nothing happened, or will there be some weird account fuckery that prevents it?

As far as I know, you can buy the normal edition.

Alternatively, I think you can unlock all the original operators via a bundle which will cost you about 30 dollars.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Danknificent posted:

This is why I unironically love the game.

yea LMG rushes are the poo poo, they're what sold me on LMGs in this game in general, you can actually shut stuff down with suppressive fire if you've got a few people doing it. normally people will see a bunch of shots in an area and be like "imma peek dat" but they don't when you've got a squad of people chewing through walls, they actually tend to go around when that's happening

although i only use LMGs when i can convince a few other people to LMG rush

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Airspace posted:

Help.

You can unlock all the original operators in a bundle which will bring you up to par.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Jack Trades posted:

To counter Ash...?
(not really)

Prevent getting buck'd to some degree with a reinforced hatch? You can't really protect anywhere but the hatches though, so mostly useless- best protection is a roamer on top floor and floor beneath you.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

Cielings ok reinforce very important but floors? Why?

Usually reinforcing the floor is pointless but there are a couple places like the bar on Chalet where it can be bad if the enemy is throwing frags up from below you into the small objective room. There's also a few places where it's detrimental to not open the floor like the game room on House where you can somewhat defend from below or at least use it to escape danger.

Also IQ Commando chat: the Commando sucks on full auto because of the recoil but if you put a vertical grip and a muzzle brake on it and use the 3 shot burst mode it's really, really good. 3 body shots will kill/down anyone except 3 armor characters with Rook armor.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It may just be that im new and terrible but my placement matches havent been so bad.

I mean im losing them all but no one has mics so i dont feel like im letting the team down by not talking. And i at least go 1 for 1 with deaths most rounds so thats nice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

It may just be that im new and terrible but my placement matches havent been so bad.

I mean im losing them all but no one has mics so i dont feel like im letting the team down by not talking. And i at least go 1 for 1 with deaths most rounds so thats nice.

Play with goons so you don't have to suffer.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
An operator who could go up through hatches would be interesting

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I use the AUG with IQ because it has pretty good damage output and works quite well with a compensator despite higher recoil than the SIG552. That being said, the 552 is still pretty awesome.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Airspace posted:

Help.

If you bought it on Steam and have played less than two hours, you might be able to refund it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Airspace posted:

Help.

be like me and throw good money after bad and just buy everyone :thumbsup:

Except Tachanka.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I thought I was getting good at this game but actually after playing ranked for a while I have discovered that I am horribly irredeemably bad. And I can't blame ping or specs either. Oh well it's still fun!

Looking forward to those Ela nerfs though because hoooooly poo poo that amount of bullets with next to no recoil wtf.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 9, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol when you find out she's already been "nerfed"

Kapzy
Aug 15, 2015

When are they supposed to be deploying the new recoil system?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

They haven't mentioned that since everyone dunked on it. It's strange because I've never seen a pro player blaming the recoil for anything, or crying out for a revised recoil

Also players like beaulo and others at his level just go for headshots 99-100% of the time

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

bewilderment posted:

I thought I was getting good at this game but actually after playing ranked for a while I have discovered that I am horribly irredeemably bad. And I can't blame ping or specs either. Oh well it's still fun!

Looking forward to those Ela nerfs though because hoooooly poo poo that amount of bullets with next to no recoil wtf.

:same: Somewhere in 300 hours of casual I inadvertently became competent and am now generally MVP every match, but I know if I were to try ranked I'd be the deadest weight.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

my kinda ape posted:

Play with goons so you don't have to suffer.

I dont know any goons who play on Xbox :(

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Danknificent posted:

:same: Somewhere in 300 hours of casual I inadvertently became competent and am now generally MVP every match, but I know if I were to try ranked I'd be the deadest weight.

You would be surprised. In ranked I find that overall people are much more at my level than in casual where I'll be stomped by a plat or Ash smurf.
Mid gold ranked is pretty cool, people usually know their stuff but are not abusing pixel peeks, dropshot and other bullshit too much.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont know any goons who play on Xbox :(

I do! gt Boastradamus

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like to reinforce floor hatches and put batteries on them when bandit just for the comedy of when someone walks over them and doesn't understand what is happening at first.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Bandit + barbed wire has been killing it lately. No one bandits the barbed wire anymore in plat\diamond ranks, dropping it under the hatch or random doors on maps that you don't really need all 4 bandits on walls absolutely destroys drones, last minute pushes and just random hatch drops just because it isn't expected anymore.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I play on Xbox as well as pc. Gt is 'Swish Jones'. Feel free to add me and shoot a message to let me know you're a goon.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

bobua posted:

Bandit + barbed wire has been killing it lately. No one bandits the barbed wire anymore in plat\diamond ranks, dropping it under the hatch or random doors on maps that you don't really need all 4 bandits on walls absolutely destroys drones, last minute pushes and just random hatch drops just because it isn't expected anymore.

electrifying barbed wire is my favorite thing to do with him and is pretty underrated since the somewhat recent re-buff

wire placement in general is :can: imo but you can min/max the spread in meaningful ways as a trapper. with bandit you can put them in corners behind doorframes and hide the battery in a difficult to snapshoot spot. they will walk over it while "slicing the pie" as they say and shock themselves at least once. you can use this technique to do serious damage to overzealous bomb defusers.

also if this type of wire trap is next to a reinforced wall, you can sacrifice 1 extra battery to the wall. they will think its just that flat surface and still run into the room only to get shocked when you doubled down.

also shockwire at the top of ladders is funnier than a claymore because they will often try to tank the damage

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This is actually incredible

Why the heck did I buy the christmas poo poo like 20 mins before this was available