Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Real hurthling! posted:

Respawn was hosed by contract. If ea offered a bigger number than a competitor for purchase they had to agree

How is this poo poo even loving legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Desperate people will sign anything :capitalism:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DeathChicken posted:

lol I happened to play WWE18 while visiting my little siblings over the vacation. Lo and behold, making a CAW nowadays grants you like four moves to begin and the rest are locked behind crates. The hell

:laffo:

That is so loving bad. It's been a long rancid diarrhea strewn road from the days of No Mercy on the N64.

Truga posted:

Desperate people will sign anything :capitalism:

And you can make them desperate by releasing their only product in the same week as Battlefield / CoD specifically so they don't meet sales projections and become completely dependent on an emergency cash injection for survival :eng101:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

How is this poo poo even loving legal?

Right of first refusal.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
My man, the most engaging gameplay is when you have to play over and over to get things. Or you can just pay some money to skip that.

Extremely engaging.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

lol I happened to play WWE18 while visiting my little siblings over the vacation. Lo and behold, making a CAW nowadays grants you like four moves to begin and the rest are locked behind crates. The hell

Whelp, we had a good run, WWF games. *dusts off No Mercy and Here Comes the Pain*

Not like anything else really did it better than these two.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Real hurthling! posted:

Right of first refusal.

I've been reading too much Battletech stuff and this registered as "Trial of refusal" at first, Vince Zampella's (Respawn CEO) gotta fight Andrew Wilson (EA CEO) to the death. :black101:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Skoll posted:

Whelp, we had a good run, WWF games. *dusts off No Mercy and Here Comes the Pain*

Not like anything else really did it better than these two.

Yeah that's the same as UFC

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's always Fire Pro.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Figure it's worth resurrecting this thread for something related - Yong Yea dug up a few interesting journal articles from EA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC19cGJa-xw

In Jim Sterling form if you prefer :bahgawd: to :geno::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_QaTtvI2tg

The tl;dr version: EA has live-tested and is in the process of patenting a form of matchmaking that is deliberately skewed. It works by preventing a player from losing or winning too often in order to maximise engagement and reduce "churn" (putting the game down and not playing for a while/forever). The system uses calculated metrics to match players based on skill, but skewing in favour of less/more experienced players to increase the chances of the desired result. Players who lose two or three games in a row will be matched with lower skill players, while players who win too often get thrown to the 420quickscope crowd. This is all done without the player's knowledge, and is designed to be undetectable.

In case that doesn't make your skin crawl, the conclusion to the second paper offhandedly states that the framework is flexible enough to maximise any desired metric, from play time to, you guessed it, spending.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sometimes I swear that’s whats going on with my overwatch queues

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

would not surprise me for a second.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ignoring that last paragraph, that's what matchmaking systems are supposed to do. :confuoot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that seems pretty normal to me, and is what I want to have happen when I play a multiplayer game :shrug:

edit: The part about tuning it toward pushing people to buy stuff or spend longer playing is lovely, but as a whole the system seems like something totally standard, except peoples' perception of it has been twisted by the spooky monetization boogeyman.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 9, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Ignoring that last paragraph, that's what matchmaking systems are supposed to do. :confuoot:

no, it's supposed to set up fair matches. in the long run, fair matches should arrive at a fair win rate, and in the short run it's a crapshoot since all participants have a real shot at winning.

what's described is setting up unfair matches to counter - or create - streaks.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Avalerion posted:

CJacobs posted:

Yeah that seems pretty normal to me, and is what I want to have happen when I play a multiplayer game :shrug:

thread suddenly invaded by retards, call the cops guys

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The introduction to the second paper states that standard industry practice/conventional wisdom is geared towards "fair" matchmaking - trying to match you against players of similar enough skill levels that the outcome of the match is not easily predictable. If it's dynamic or clever enough, it'll spot when you're either having a bad day or are on a roll, and put you up or down a bracket accordingly. The aim is to put you in a match you can win.

EA's method is to tip the scales so that the results of your next match are as predictable as possible. Instead of pitching a player with a .95 w/l ratio in with others in roughly the same boat, it chucks them in with the .60 scrubs so they can feel like a king for a few games before pitting them against the 2.5 god-kings so they don't get too big for their boots. Instead of making a system where you're likely to win or lose matches based on the law of averages, it's designed to plan out your win/lose streaks to keep you from putting the game down.

Murderion fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 9, 2018

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how is that even going to work? if your ELO/win ratio/KD/whatever is collecting what is effectively useless data because you've skewed the odds, how will it even know your actual skill level so as to match you against lovely players to keep you playing?

in my experience at least, my buddies and I will keep playing while on a streak but the moment we lose a few after that we are changing gametype or game altogether, unless the games are incredibly close (and therefore, well matched on skill level). if we lose a few then get an easy win we usually call it a day then also.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Laserface posted:

how is that even going to work? if your ELO/win ratio/KD/whatever is collecting what is effectively useless data because you've skewed the odds, how will it even know your actual skill level so as to match you against lovely players to keep you playing?

I imagine it's not concerned with actually knowing your skill level but just making sure you get matched up against chumps periodically to bolster your ego. How exactly they would do that would probably have to do with other data rather than just basic win ratios, which makes it doubly problematic, but I imagine they aren't too concerned.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jokes on EA, I’m terrible no matter who I play against

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Laserface posted:

Elo handles uneven matches. adjusting the rating change based on the expected win rate of the match is built into the formula. picking players to create a likely outcome doesn't make the data of the outcome useless.

except maybe if you set it to create extremely lopsided games, but, well, just don't do that. i suspect that it wouldn't be good for optimal manipulation to be too blatant anyway.

Prav fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 9, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Great, game matchmaking is already mostly dogshit and now these chumps want to make it even worse.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine it's not concerned with actually knowing your skill level but just making sure you get matched up against chumps periodically to bolster your ego. How exactly they would do that would probably have to do with other data rather than just basic win ratios, which makes it doubly problematic, but I imagine they aren't too concerned.

I suppose it just tracks actual skill and if you start a losing streak it dumps you into babbys first FPS for a round with all the mouth breathers so you can clean up and hit the top of the leaderboard, get that dopamine and then plonks you back into the actual skill level mmaking?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Laserface posted:

I suppose it just tracks actual skill and if you start a losing streak it dumps you into babbys first FPS for a round with all the mouth breathers so you can clean up and hit the top of the leaderboard, get that dopamine and then plonks you back into the actual skill level mmaking?

Well, who knows if they've even implemented it successfully yet, but I'm sure they'll find a way (to gently caress it up).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you're not keen on listening/reading these videos, here's it in a nutshell:

1) A research paper that proposes dynamic difficulty if player telemetry starts indicating they're getting bored or frustrated. They've got 9% improvement in "engagement" with this.
2) A research paper that says that fair matchmaking is not the way to maximize player engagement. They did this by making triplets of match outcomes (LLW, WWL, LWL, etc), and figuring out which triplets cause players to drop out. The easy way is to make sure player's last match of the session (which they can figure out) is a win, which creates "significant improvement" in retention. There's other ways too. They then verified their predictions with a live database and...yup, they were right.

It's definitely not good that we've got entire research teams successfully able to hack people's brains to get them to play longer so that they can sell them more poo poo.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So first there was handholding in SP now there is this poo poo. Of course you lost a ton at first in CS back in the late 90s but we had fun in getting better. It took some work but that was also rewarding.

Ahh the scout, so nice to do double hs with it. People would get so mad. Nowadays my old man reflexes can't keep up with the kids...

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’m not sure how to feel about this.

The optimist in me wants to believe this could be used to help with frustrating losing streaks that leads to a rage quit and that “engagement” = “fun playing the game”

But the realist/pessimist knows that companies can combine this with Activision’s patent to pair people who are on a roll with a winning streak against a whale, get crushed, and tempt them to spend more money to “even the playing field”

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you're not keen on listening/reading these videos, here's it in a nutshell:

1) A research paper that proposes dynamic difficulty if player telemetry starts indicating they're getting bored or frustrated. They've got 9% improvement in "engagement" with this.
2) A research paper that says that fair matchmaking is not the way to maximize player engagement. They did this by making triplets of match outcomes (LLW, WWL, LWL, etc), and figuring out which triplets cause players to drop out. The easy way is to make sure player's last match of the session (which they can figure out) is a win, which creates "significant improvement" in retention. There's other ways too. They then verified their predictions with a live database and...yup, they were right.

It's definitely not good that we've got entire research teams successfully able to hack people's brains to get them to play longer so that they can sell them more poo poo.

I mean, that's why literally every game genre has you leveling up, even if it doesn't mean anything. It's why when you play an FPS, there's always a number when you kill someone telling you how much XP or whatever you're getting. I'm fairly sure someone researched that, too, and figured out that that kind of thing improves retention.

And dynamic difficulty's been there since Max Payne (2, I think). RE4-6 all had dynamic difficulty, too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

actiblizz already has a patent on that :allears:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Panzeh posted:

And dynamic difficulty's been there since Max Payne (2, I think). RE4-6 all had dynamic difficulty, too.

Goes back to Unreal/Tournament in 1998 even.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a bit of difference between matchmaking based on skill and matchmaking based on "what's more likely to get this person to buy poo poo from us", because, well:

This is a patent by activision.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Might be a good way to suppress cosmetic sales, warn people that if they buy they'll be teamed with bad players.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Panzeh posted:

I mean, that's why literally every game genre has you leveling up, even if it doesn't mean anything. It's why when you play an FPS, there's always a number when you kill someone telling you how much XP or whatever you're getting. I'm fairly sure someone researched that, too, and figured out that that kind of thing improves retention.

Games have had dynamic difficulty since like, very early shmups. Though then it was mostly there to make the games even harder for better players so they'd spend more quarters.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Joke's on you nerds. I don't have friends so don't ever play multiplayer.

A few people in here describing games/lootboxes as "loving you in the rear end": Dudes, your problem isn't lootboxes or games you don't like...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

The optimist in me wants to believe this could be used to help with frustrating losing streaks that leads to a rage quit and that “engagement” = “fun playing the game”

Bad news. Player "engagement" is a term that actually means "player who has been converted into a revenue source". It has nothing to do with actually playing the game or having fun. Notice how the word is used in comparison to "retention".

https://venturebeat.com/2016/03/08/engagement-is-the-new-arpdau-and-dau/

EA & Activision's plans to increase player engagement via dynamically manipulated match making has nothing to do with improving the player experience but everything to do with opening wallets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr Scumbag posted:

Joke's on you nerds. I don't have friends so don't ever play multiplayer.

A few people in here describing games/lootboxes as "loving you in the rear end": Dudes, your problem isn't lootboxes or games you don't like...

Merely, it's their own blind ignorance as to how pleasurable getting hosed in the rear end can actually be.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DisDisDis posted:

Games have had dynamic difficulty since like, very early shmups. Though then it was mostly there to make the games even harder for better players so they'd spend more quarters.

That's true- i forgot about rank in arcade games and the old 1cc strategy of strategically using up lives to get it down for things like final bosses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know what MMOs need? Gear advancement via a system that looks like a slot machine.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10764734

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
posting that gif from the link here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doesn’t elite have that except you can’t even buy the stuff?

• Locked thread