Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is there a list of non-gatcha non-plot rare blades so I can try to get them all before pulling on cores again because my current luck tops out at like 400 and I don't have any legendary cores anyway

like, I got praxis a while ago so I assume I get theory at some point?

Boost her affinity until it reaches lv 5 to get the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wulfric-From story, but not required to be used right away.

Kasandra-Purchase the Greedy Monster report from an Informant. Go to the Near Chansagh Wastes salvage point in the Empire of Mor Ardain just above Anangham #2 Dock. Keep salvaging until the Gluttonous Marrin monster appears. Defeat it and obtain her Lucky Core Crystal.

Praxis-Complete the “Crystal Clear” sidequest.

Theory-Complete the "Blade-Sharp Memory" sidequest. (available after completing Praxis's affinity)

Sheba-Purchase the Inherited Core Crystal from Torigoth located in Gormott Province. (500k, talk to owner after bonding with her to get 250k back)

Vess-Complete the “Tranquility” sidequest.

Herald-Fulfill the offerings at the Shrine of Sealing in Theosoir located in the Kingdom of Tantal to obtain her Sealed Core Crystal.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Oh that's a lot fewer than I expected, I'm only missing Herald and Theory from that list

I looked up Herald's unlock conditions and what the gently caress

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh that's a lot fewer than I expected, I'm only missing Herald and Theory from that list

I looked up Herald's unlock conditions and what the gently caress

Herald's is super easy. You just go to the first fast travel at mor ardain dock, then shortly after the path to the elevator is a item spot. Stack mineral blades, you get like 5-10 each time. Fast travel back. Takes like 8 seconds each time.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It boggles my mind how I managed to beat both the 118 and 130 superbosses but the Relentless Arduran one-shots my party with his smelly breath

water resist V aux core on your tank. it's a cone attack so don't stand in front of the thing yourself and you won't be hit.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
OK i thought it was 100 of each item on that list because it totally seemed like something this game would do

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Is there a list of non-gatcha non-plot rare blades so I can try to get them all before pulling on cores again because my current luck tops out at like 400 and I don't have any legendary cores anyway

like, I got praxis a while ago so I assume I get theory at some point?

In order of availability:

Chapter 2

Sheba (Water Ether Cannon): Buy the Inherited Core Crystal in Torigoth.

Chapter 3

Wulfric (Earth Megalance): Acquired from the Elder Arachno fought during the story. Not story-relevant, though.

Chapter 4

Vess (Electric Bitball): Meet Vess in Torigoth and run some errands for her.

Kasandra (Dark Shield Hammer): talk to Razzlydazzly in Argentum by the Maelstrom, then get a bad result salvaging near Chansagh Wastes in lower Mor Ardain. You can get there from the back side by crossing the field of level 80 dinosaurs, or you can retrieve the gate key from the Fief of Forgetfulness, which you visit during Vess's quest.

Chapter 5

Praxis (Water Megalance): Buy the "Core Crystal Hunters" tip from an informant, then go to the back alley in Torigoth where you first met Mòrag.

Chapter 6

Herald (Electric Ether Cannon): Break the wall in the Theospiti Temple Ruins in Theosoir and make 100 offerings at the altar.

Chapter 7

Theory (Ice Chroma Katana): Advance Praxis's affinity chart to tier 4, then go to the Royal Guard Barracks in Fonsa Myma.

edit: I lose

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Reiterpallasch posted:

water resist V aux core on your tank. it's a cone attack so don't stand in front of the thing yourself and you won't be hit.

Ohhhhh this makes sense. Not the cone part, the game has very finnickey and busted aoe zones, but it's using a water attack on Poppi who's still sitting on a fire affinity. Might have to grind out a water elemental core.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

The level 90 dinosaurs in Temperantia are a pushover and good for 2-3 levels per kill if you finish with a chain attack each.
Nah can't take those guys down yet, they can oneshot me with the tail bullshitk, then i get stuck in an eternal loop of losing/gaining aggro and all my party meter needing to go to revives. :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Did I imagine it or was that a mandatory Keen Eye 3 check in the crucible? If so, that is some serious bullshit right there. Keen Eye 3 is theoretically possible to get without rolling a blade for it but it's an arduous effort by this point in the game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Make sure you're not fighting the one off by himself near the two alive giant titan weapons, that one is for some reason stronger despite being the same level as the others. Have you finished the game yet? When you beat the game and make a save, loading it will spit you back at the door before the fight with all the experience you gained from the fight. So, if you wanted, you could fight the final boss multiple times for a ton of EXP, that should easily boost you to 80. Even at low-mid 70s you should be able to grind on King Ken though which will require you to have beaten the game

Amppelix posted:

Did I imagine it or was that a mandatory Keen Eye 3 check in the crucible? If so, that is some serious bullshit right there. Keen Eye 3 is theoretically possible to get without rolling a blade for it but it's an arduous effort by this point in the game.
This is why I think there's some nudging on which blades you get, I hear tons of people talk about how Adenine is one of their first blades they pull who, conveniently, has Keen Eye.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
[quote="RazzleDazzleHour" post=""480059712"]
Make sure you're not fighting the one off by himself near the two alive giant titan weapons, that one is for some reason stronger despite being the same level as the others.
[/quote]
I'm not sure, I'll go check. The one stomping me is the one nearest to the small Ardainian Camp waypoint, I'll go wander off and try to stab another.

Edit: Nope, died to a different one. Will just find something else to stab.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 9, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Narrative dissonance that the final boss is way, way easier than some level 65 bikes because they can spam Topple stun-lock you to death

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I was half hoping that at some point the game would explain who the tutorial narrator is, but nope, I guess it's just some disembodied voice referring to itself in the first person.

Minor final boss spoiler (heh): the summoned monsters had drops. Why does anything past the point of no return have drops.

Anyway, I liked the game, it's reminiscent of older Xeno games in several strong ways, it has a lot of issues with repetitive sidequests, whoever okayed the blade gacha and merc mission systems deserves punitive electroshock therapy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is why I think there's some nudging on which blades you get, I hear tons of people talk about how Adenine is one of their first blades they pull who, conveniently, has Keen Eye.

Gorg is literally my latest Blade pull, in chapter 6, and the first one I've ever got with Keen Eye. And I had to spend a whole lot of cores to get him. This nudging if it exists is not very reliable at all.

Although I wonder if I'd gotten stuck there and started pulling in desperation it would've pretty much instantly given me a Keen Eye blade? That would be really smart, and this game does have smart decisions in a couple of areas surprisingly enough.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I lost on my first attempt at the final boss because it decided to move out of range when I had no adds to fight, so my party was just sitting there waiting for it to get close so we could fight again. Instead, it slowly charged up an instant kill move that wiped my party.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

I lost on my first attempt at the final boss because it decided to move out of range when I had no adds to fight, so my party was just sitting there waiting for it to get close so we could fight again. Instead, it slowly charged up an instant kill move that wiped my party.

Yep, same here. I don't know how I was supposed to know that would happen beforehand.

Also: I decided to burn some core crystals before starting the final battle. I picked up a rare, some chicken girl whose name I forget. Sorry, kid, maybe in another life you won't wait until the literal end of the game before deigning to show up. Enjoy your seats for the final battle, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

Nah can't take those guys down yet, they can oneshot me with the tail bullshitk, then i get stuck in an eternal loop of losing/gaining aggro and all my party meter needing to go to revives. :(

i'm pretty sure that the tail attack only hits behind them? pull with the lure button and make sure you don't spin the dinosaur passing enmity to the tank.

but you could also beat the final boss a few times for 99k xp (don't do this) or farm the spider things in gormott below the traveler's resting tree (probably better?)

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Reiterpallasch posted:

i'm pretty sure that the tail attack only hits behind them? pull with the lure button and make sure you don't spin the dinosaur passing enmity to the tank.

but you could also beat the final boss a few times for 99k xp (don't do this) or farm the spider things in gormott below the traveler's resting tree (probably better?)
I think some of the problem is that inevitably some potions get thrown out behind them, and then Nia goes after them out of necessity and gets thwacked, leading to a cascade failure. I'm going to see if going with 4th as a tank and the other two as pure healers helps, I don't have much passive healing unfortunately.

Spiders sound good. Don't think I really want to fight the boss anymore, he had the same problem of potions being thrown out miles away because of the hitbox.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh yeah, for those i had rex main heal with ursula and the story blades; the party won't go for hp potions if they're topped off constantly

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Amppelix posted:

It's Keen Eye 2 and Ancient Wisdom 3, along with a separate check for Fire 3 and Wind 2. Those are all pretty doable with the blades you're given. The only field check required in the story that you can't meet with guaranteed blades is, I believe, a check for Electric 4 in chapter 9.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keep in mind that level 3 specials from bit ballers heal the party. Considering Rex can lightning speed get to level 3 special with all his gimmicks, it's a nice tip in mind without actually spending time as a bit baller.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I think I might hate myself?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 9, 2018

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

Congrats on pushing through the nine circles of hell

I only did the first set of missions for Ursula, but I was a major fan of the Nopon talent agent.

Look at this goateed dirtbag.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Make sure you're not fighting the one off by himself near the two alive giant titan weapons, that one is for some reason stronger despite being the same level as the others.

The reason is that it's a named monster.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Gorg is literally my latest Blade pull, in chapter 6, and the first one I've ever got with Keen Eye. And I had to spend a whole lot of cores to get him. This nudging if it exists is not very reliable at all.

Although I wonder if I'd gotten stuck there and started pulling in desperation it would've pretty much instantly given me a Keen Eye blade? That would be really smart, and this game does have smart decisions in a couple of areas surprisingly enough.

...I remember failing a skill check and immediately getting a rare blade after that. This requires testing.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Am I supposed to keep grinding the Vocal lessons 1 or 2 to progress after the first performance for Ursula? It didn't unlock any higher levels

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Just unlocked the Chapter 5 new guy, burned 10 rare and 39 normal cores, and didn't get a single rare on any. Christ.

My oldest son watched the whole thing with me and by the end of it said that it's pretty f'd up how on every core before just showing you what you really got, they'd always tease you with the silhouette of an actual rare.
He's right, that's total bullshit.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

5er posted:

Just unlocked the Chapter 5 new guy, burned 10 rare and 39 normal cores, and didn't get a single rare on any. Christ.

My oldest son watched the whole thing with me and by the end of it said that it's pretty f'd up how on every core before just showing you what you really got, they'd always tease you with the silhouette of an actual rare.
He's right, that's total bullshit.

I've been seeing the same one rare silhouette for the last 50 rolls

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm level 80, so I tried the strat posted a couple pages ago to beat up Cloud Sea King Whatshisname for Cores and profit and HOLY drat is it fun to go HULK SMASH a giant octopus into the ground over and over and over!

The return of about 15 Rare Cores and 8 Legendaries was not an exaggeration. That's about my average. Of course I've beaten the bastard like three times and I haven't gotten a single unique Blade from all those Cores, but hey! I did get like 4 4* Blades out of it, so that's something. But seriously, please come home, Zenobia.

I also got some got some Moon Something Chips, which boost crit rate like whoa. Did I get those from the Cloud Sea King? I am not very observant... I would like more of those Chips. They are good. I have them on all four story Atk Blades so far. For the tanks, Gold Chips seem better, as they boost block rate. Haven't decided what kind of Chip is best on healers.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I just got morag. I managed to pull both finch and godfrey on her, but they are both hammers. would i be better off doubling up so i got brighid/finch/godfrey, or switch in a common tank core with a katana? building her as an evade tank natch.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god Tora's grampypon was murdered by a dapper-rear end criminalpon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Farg posted:

I just got morag. I managed to pull both finch and godfrey on her, but they are both hammers. would i be better off doubling up so i got brighid/finch/godfrey, or switch in a common tank core with a katana? building her as an evade tank natch.

She gets another katana tank from the story. Element variety is way more important unless you're manually controlling.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You can also get theory, an ice katana, through Praxis' quest. Praxis is also available via a sidequest.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

bizarre deformity posted:

:wtc:

Xarbala posted:

Oh my god Tora's grampypon was murdered by a dapper-rear end criminalpon.

I love the Nopon so much. Best mascot species I've seen in a video game series

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Farg posted:

Finch is amazing on her, as she's the only evasion-based hammer tank in the game. That setup should be absolutely fine and you can later sub in a third evasion tank whenever you get one, or maybe some attackers in the third slot as well if you're playing as her. Spears give her a smash so she could do 3/4ths of the driver combo by herself, as do katanas.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow that's a very nice Topple + Launch + Smash move you have there Jin, mind letting me have that permanently? No? Didn't think so.

Still, it's hilarious how effective this move is. If the target doesn't resist parts of the combo it's just dead.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

110 hours into the game and I just realized that each blade has a stat modifier that increases one of your stats by a specific amount and thats how people have been deciding which units are good on which. Vale gives +ether so you give her to Nia who has ether-based spear attacks. Wulfric has +str so you give him to someone with strength-based spear tech.

gently caress.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

110 hours into the game and I just realized that each blade has a stat modifier that increases one of your stats by a specific amount and thats how people have been deciding which units are good on which. Vale gives +ether so you give her to Nia who has ether-based spear attacks. Wulfric has +str so you give him to someone with strength-based spear tech.

gently caress.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that but I've just been too lazy to crossreference between different Blades and Drivers' Art movesets. That and I don't have Four yet and I feel like that's when I'm going to go nuts with the Blades I have now. (If I get good Ether Cannon rares I'll overdrive them to Five later when he finally hops on?) The game technically gives you the info at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Xarbala posted:

Oh yeah, I've noticed that but I've just been too lazy to crossreference between different Blades and Drivers' Art movesets. That and I don't have Four yet and I feel like that's when I'm going to go nuts with the Blades I have now. (If I get good Ether Cannon rares I'll overdrive them to Five later when he finally hops on?) The game technically gives you the info at least.

I think the Five ether cannon build is the most significant moveset difference in the game, most skillsets between characters are almost identical in everything except the little bonus things they do. You'd think Rex wouldn't have the same wild-rear end animations as Five does for his main weapon, but he basically does. I went through most of the game with +hp tanks on Four who's supposed to be an evasion tank, so it's not a huge deal, but I've managed to pump one of my characters up to 700 luck using stat-boosting blades so I can pretend like I'm gonna get better core pulls. Only five rare blades left...