Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

That thing is going to be loud. Why do they always mess up the cooling aspect of SFF PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

People with AMD processors should keep an eye out for UEFI updates. Just as with the Intel Managemen Engine, AMD's security features appears to be not entirely secure.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Drakhoran posted:

People with AMD processors should keep an eye out for UEFI updates. Just as with the Intel Managemen Engine, AMD's security features appears to be not entirely secure.

people with AMD processors can disable PSP/TPM in the bios

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Palladium posted:

2200G/2400G, aka "who is gonna give a poo poo to the 1300X/1500X anymore".

They might as well retire the latter two SKUs since they serve no purpose with the APUs.

I mean, they probably *are*.

Now that we seem to have what the APU was supposed to do half a decade ago with Bulldozer, APUs exist to do three things:

*Claw market share away from Intel
*Claw market share away from Nvidia.
*Do the above at the same time.

Since we've seen that Vega does... for now, let's say it does "okay" at the low end (at least until we get more SKUs with APUs in them for benchmarking to get a better picture), any APUs they sell are definitively one less Intel sale, and a good chance it's one fewer Nvidia sale of like, a 1050Ti or some poo poo.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 8, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Klyith posted:

people with AMD processors can disable PSP/TPM in the bios

Not if their motherboard manufacturer doesn’t support it.....MSI.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How's asrock AMD bioses these days?

Stoked for April.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, those slides imply Zen 2 TR to be H2/Q4 2019 >:[

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean, they probably *are*.

Now that we seem to have what the APU was supposed to do half a decade ago with Bulldozer, APUs exist to do three things:

*Claw market share away from Intel
*Claw market share away from Nvidia.
*Do the above at the same time.

Since we've seen that Vega does... for now, let's say it does "okay" at the low end (at least until we get more SKUs with APUs in them for benchmarking to get a better picture), any APUs they sell are definitively one less Intel sale, and a good chance it's one fewer Nvidia sale of like, a 1050Ti or some poo poo.

Might as well sell the $100 APU, when nobody really gives a poo poo about the RX460/560. Shame about the DDR4 prices though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The 2200 and 2400G seem to be perfect for Cybercafes, based on Bristol Ridge performance they should fantastic for "epsorts" titles at medium 720p/1080p. I mean the RX560 can do high/epic and Raven Ridge will always chug on poo poo like PUBG but the solution then is to just add in a 1060/1070. Because of this it kind of makes it questionable why AMD would continue selling 4C/8T non APU parts, what's the target market besides extreme budget builds?

On another note, we know that AMD will be doing their own version of the 8809G, the question I have is whether or not anyone thinks it'd be feasible for AMD to make it socketed for TR4, and what do you think the lower bound would be on a TR4 motherboard?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Stoked for April.

Solid AF. Have their Fatality x370 pro gaming board. I was impressed when I could just flash the bios from the Internet within the BIOS itself. :D

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Llamadeus posted:

Just announced! Naturally, it's Asrock: https://www.asrock.com/news/index.asp?iD=3888

Before I clicked on that I figured the socket would take up about 1/3 of the board and I was not too wrong

SlayVus posted:

4 DIMM slots, 8 SATA slots, 3 m.2 slots and 1 u.2, 3 front USB headers, 3 PCI-e 16x slots, dual Intel Gigabit, dual band WiFi, at least 8 power phases.

Power phases go all the way up to 11 https://techreport.com/news/33040/asrock-x399m-taichi-squishes-threadripper-into-microatx

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Stoked for April.

Good if a little slow. Still waiting for a release to fix the X370 Tachi’s 1.55 GHZ bug. There’s a beta floating around that came from some German site that apparently fixes it but I’ll wait until its officially released.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

RAVEN RIDGE posted:

They're also unlocked so are overclockable and demonstrations at a CES Tech Day event showed overclocked CPU speeds up to 4.2GHz and Vega GPU overclocking yielding close to 50% performance boosts in games too.

quote:

Hardware Unboxed guy said AMD demonstrated it [GPU from APU] clocking up to 1750MHz. But, interestingly- very low stock clocks, similar to U-series- 1250MHz and 1100MHz

:prepop:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hi thread :wave:

What do you all think about the Ryzen 1700 at $250 + a A350 Asrock mobo at $88? Should I wait for AMD's April refresh, or splurge now?

This will be a turnkey, as I have everything else needed for this build.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A Bad King posted:

Hi thread :wave:

What do you all think about the Ryzen 1700 at $250 + a A350 Asrock mobo at $88? Should I wait for AMD's April refresh, or splurge now?

This will be a turnkey, as I have everything else needed for this build.

April is not that far, and if you haven't invested now, better to wait for the 400 series boards and 2000 series processors. Unless you need it now, IMHO better to wait.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
GamersNexus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5CDTUivys

Raven Ridge APU will have the Vega cores linked via Infinity Fabric.

It will be interesting to compare performance with the 8809G, where that connect is via PCIe 8x.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FaustianQ posted:

April is not that far, and if you haven't invested now, better to wait for the 400 series boards and 2000 series processors. Unless you need it now, IMHO better to wait.

$250 is a drat good price though -- the question is, why such a deep discount and what does it mean about how good zen+ will be?

one possibility is that zen+ is gonna be a great improvement (like into the 4.5ghz zone), and the cut now is reflecting the new price/performance to expect from that. they're selling old zen for a song because they're about to get totally outclassed. the other possibility is that zen+ is a more modest bump and the discount is more to clear inventory because they overproduced in late 2017. also, they were handing out 8-core 1600s recently, the cheap 1700 may just be trying to push people into just buying a drat 8-core. they seem to have plenty!

so in the first case you get a cheap 8 core now but miss out on the future 6 core with much better single-thread performance. so for a gamer who cares about the comparison to coffee lake, definitely wait until we start getting news or previews of the new chip. a non-gamer can either buy now or wait a bit, depending on what type of workload you have and how much you need the new pc right away.

in the second scenario the 1700 sale is a better deal than where zen+ will be introduced at and buying ahead of zen+ is actually the smart move.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GamersNexus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea5CDTUivys

Raven Ridge APU will have the Vega cores linked via Infinity Fabric.

It will be interesting to compare performance with the 8809G, where that connect is via PCIe 8x.

Wondering if by being linked through Infinity Fabric the dGPU can offload rendering work to the iGPU, like say physics or anti-aliasing? Not a huge potential improvement, maybe 20%?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Wondering if by being linked through Infinity Fabric the dGPU can offload rendering work to the iGPU, like say physics or anti-aliasing? Not a huge potential improvement, maybe 20%?

That's already possible with any combination of dGPU and iGPU using DX12 unlinked multi-adapter mode, the limiting factor is that no engine developer gives a poo poo about supporting such an esoteric setup.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What, realistically, is expected of the respin, is the new process likely to really allow clocks of around 4.3ish, something like that?

Wonder if the memory controller is happier with faster RAM speeds or not.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

What, realistically, is expected of the respin, is the new process likely to really allow clocks of around 4.3ish, something like that?

I think a reasonably optimistic guess would put most chips at 4.3-4.4 with a bit of extra voltage and golden chips (threadripper-level bins) are 4.5. This is purely pulled out of my rear end however, and it depends on how much you take GloFo's "15% performance improvement" at face value, how much voltage you are willing to apply, and what clocks you define as the starting point. It would be unrealistic to expect more than 4.5 average and 4.7 as a golden chip/threadripper, that's the absolute best case.

I'm guessing the memory controller might have better stability, yeah. I bet the segfault bug gets fixed too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2018

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
A 4.7ghz TR makes my nipples rock hard god drat i want it

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Scarecow posted:

A 4.7ghz TR makes my nipples rock hard god drat i want it

Yeah my dick's getting real hard for it too, ripping multiple threads now, come on put that pump on my hot smooth body

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

repiv posted:

That's already possible with any combination of dGPU and iGPU using DX12 unlinked multi-adapter mode, the limiting factor is that no engine developer gives a poo poo about supporting such an esoteric setup.

Of course, but what I am talking about is whether that can be done at a hardware level. Like what makes IF specifically better than using a PCIE connection considering it's slower. Maybe an advantage is that the dGPU can "cannibalize" the iGPU for latency insensitive workloads? Maybe the iGPU gets access to the HBM2 as well, in which case huge performance uplift even when running low power?

Also it looks like both Intel and AMD solutions have the same Z height, so looks like AMD has access to EMIB ("You get Raja, we get EMIB, joint project for two years?"). If so, does that mean AMD can reduce latency in EPYC/Rome between dies?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Of course, but what I am talking about is whether that can be done at a hardware level. Like what makes IF specifically better than using a PCIE connection considering it's slower. Maybe an advantage is that the dGPU can "cannibalize" the iGPU for latency insensitive workloads? Maybe the iGPU gets access to the HBM2 as well, in which case huge performance uplift even when running low power?

How would the hardware know what constitutes a latency insensitive workload? It doesn't have that kind of high level context.

Without engine developers guiding the iGPU offload the only alternative I see is driver fuckery with game specific profiles, which is exactly what AMD has been trying to move away from.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

IMHO I really doubt it, it's a process tweak and a design tweak. If there was that type of potential available, AMD & Gloflo really hosed it the first time around.

Which is why I think the most likely reason the 1700 is selling for $250 is that their yield is so good they are oversupplied on functional 8 core chips. There's obvious evidence to support that. And that could totally reset when they switch to zen+. Meaning that buying now isn't totally crazy if the $250 in april is back to buying a 6 core.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
That's a Microcenter price. It isn't indicative of normal reality.

I want to try and wait for April but I don't know when I'll be able to buy 8c/16t again for under $300.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm glad I saw this thread and that Zen+ is coming before I dropped money on an 1800x... or rather the ram for the fuckin' thing. Thanks guys.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think its worth noting that when they say "infinity fabric" connects the GPU and CPU, they are talking about the internal on-die interconnect. It's a 1 die package, unless something weird has changed.

"Infinity Fabric" is the lovely marketing name they are using for like 5 different interlink speeds, essentially the HT protocol over a PCIe lane of varying widths (in some configurations). "Infinity Fabric" can be insanely fast and wide, tight and fairly slow, on die, off die on package, or off package completely.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 9, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ranzear posted:

I'm glad I saw this thread and that Zen+ is coming before I dropped money on an 1800x... or rather the ram for the fuckin' thing. Thanks guys.

There’s no guarantee the RAM prices will drop by the time Zen+ comes out unless China stomps down hard and quick.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The ram I picked was $100 more than the sticker on the 1800X is all I was getting at. Sure I could reuse it on a Zen+ but I'm having Phenom flashbacks here.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Around there.

The real gain, at least for gaming, will be if they can get the single core boost up higher. One of the reasons why Coffee Lake does so well on gaming is that it will boost one core up +1GHz.

If the 2700/2800 can get a single core to push 5GHz they're neck and neck for single threaded performance.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Xae posted:

The real gain, at least for gaming, will be if they can get the single core boost up higher. One of the reasons why Coffee Lake does so well on gaming is that it will boost one core up +1GHz.

And as a bonus, it doesn't take a whole lot of extra juice at all to get all core +1 GHz.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
An 4.7GHz TR would be hilarious, but there's still the thing with the IF. Is there 3200MHz ECC RAM yet? I thought Crucial said they'd do it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

An 4.7GHz TR would be hilarious, but there's still the thing with the IF. Is there 3200MHz ECC RAM yet? I thought Crucial said they'd do it.
samsung is already making 3200mhz dies but all of them are going straight into HPC and are $$$$$$custom orders

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

samsung is already making 3200mhz dies but all of them are going straight into HPC and are $$$$$$custom orders

I have a TR 1950x with 64GB (4x16GB) of Samsung B-die ECC RAM, and it works fine. Mem overclocked just fine, bumped it from 2400 to 2933 or so with a slight voltage bump. System sees that it's ECC and if I go full retard on the OC, you can see the system log start to rapidly poo poo itself with single bit ECC errors, so it works fine.

Asrock X399 taichi, 1950x, the Liqtech TR4 360mm, and my usual pile of add-in cards. I'm not looking forward to a die shrink/refresh for my TR, but holy poo poo, getting an extra 400-700 Mhz and possibly 50% more cores would be amazing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More fat for the Intel fire.

https://twitter.com/qrs/status/950462488348446721

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More fat for the AMD fire.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16867068/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-security-updates-amd-pcs-issues

quote:

“Microsoft has reports of customers with some AMD devices getting into an unbootable state after installing recent Windows operating system security updates,” says a Microsoft spokesperson. “After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown.”

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The processors in question were Athlons and Semprons. Not sure why the Verge felt the need to omit that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because it's the verge.