Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've still yet to play non solo so I'll add anyone who's GT I can find. I'd love to play a few duo rounds with someone this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Honestly the awful graphics don't even bother me anymore. The only thing that bothers me is landing and buildings still being n64 era low res poo poo and not being able to enter them.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The input lag is what fucks me up. I can’t hit poo poo when people are straffing back and forth.

The only strategy there is I’m a game with no auto aim and gnarly input lag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

The input lag is what fucks me up. I can’t hit poo poo when people are straffing back and forth.

Yeah, the combo of super floaty controls, input lag, rubber banding and pop in makes hitting a moving target a nightmare (which also makes vehicles horrendously op)

I pretty much only use shotguns and high rate of fire weapons and try to only engage in close quarters.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Lower sensitivity worked out better for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcfhQYrbTYs&t=33s

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Honestly the cosmetic stuff really doesn't make a huge difference since you accidentally put on zubaz and puffy shirts when you're trying to pick up some 5.56, or willingly put on one of those long black coats which I personally think look pretty rad with a level 3 helmet.

All the clothing is more or less indistinguishable, anyway.

Hit your start button when come on a pile of poo poo so you can actually pick what you want instead of spamming the x button

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Hit your start button when come on a pile of poo poo so you can actually pick what you want instead of spamming the x button

Oh I know, I just don’t feel like the paralysis of going into the menu is worth it most of the time especially considering I don’t care what clothing I inadvertently equip. In fact tonight I put on a sweet red horizontal-striped shirt and felt like a badass Waldo which helped me get to #4 with 6 kills. New favorite gun is Mini 14, preferably with the 8X scope I found.

GT: The Midniter if anyone wants to run some games.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Live At Five! posted:

Honestly the awful graphics don't even bother me anymore. The only thing that bothers me is landing and buildings still being n64 era low res poo poo and not being able to enter them.

Here's what you do. Go into Settings on your Xbox, then Preferences. See that checked box for Broadcast and Captures? Uncheck it.

You won't be able to stream or take screenshots or clips, but it really improves the buildings loading properly, that little bit of extra juice helps this glorious unoptimized mess of a game.

Beastie posted:

Get the jump on them so they don't strafe around.

If they try to bunny hop it's actually the bestX though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have to say, I tried the control settings detailed in the video above and I love them. I had something similar but not quite, but after adjusting them I got into a 2v1 and finished them both off.

I would definitely recommend trying them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. It feels way less floaty and more like a proper tactical shooter with those controls. I don't know if I'm actually playing better but I've won some shootouts I think I may have not otherwise, but more importantly it just feels better to play.

The only thing that sucks about it is that it makes the parachute way harder to turn around imo.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 7, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Before the patch it felt like you exited the plane in the direction that the camera was facing. Doesn’t seem to do that anymore and that’s super annoying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you just shoot out the back now. If you looks towards the back end of it you can see what looks like confetti shooting out the back. I think it's other players but the graphics are so bad it's hard to tell.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Press A while in the plane. It changes the direction you face so you can actually jump towards your drop point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if this game just thinks it's funny to randomly gently caress you over or if it just does a horrible job of spawning things but I just looted about 15 houses without finding a gun, and it's not the first time it's happened.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I've definitely had those games, I'll have an AR silencer and all that poo poo but no AR. I mean, I just had a duo game where I only got a Tommy gun. To be fair, I had a silencer and extended quick draw and my friend had an m16a4 and an m24 and we got chicken dinner so I can't complain too much.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 7, 2018

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Where are you looting? Have you guys looked at the map that shows frequency of good loot?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll just drop wherever looks good. 8/10 times I'll find decent stuff right away, but 2/10 it's just like, nothing but high tops and attachments, and by the 5th house I'm like :wtf:

I don't really know the map well enough to spot distinct areas. I usually look for places that look like not many people will drop on.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's pretty random. I've played about 350 hours of this and drop in the same 4 or 5 places typically, some of them are 4 or 6 house, some are cities - sometimes the first 3 shacks you check have 4 great assault rifles/parts/full sets of level 2 gear for two players, or even level 3 stuff - then the next time you drop there you and your partner each loot 15 large houses before finding something better than a shotgun/uzi/pistol/level 1 setup between the two of you.

It's part of what makes the game so fun because each game can play out wildly differently, even if you're landing at the same spot each time - and even if you're back2back dinnerin', having landed at the same spot - which BCRock and I like to do from time to time - you can get to that victory in a variety of ways.

Sometimes all you have is a crossbow.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettyEvilDonkeyNononoCat

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah there was a day where we dropped Prison and got great poo poo for 4 people like 5 games in a row.

Next day I go there with my buddy in duos and we find nothing but attachments and smoke grenades for three straight games.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I've never had a single lovely instance of loot when I drop to the Shelter.

Also got my first chicken dinner with my buddies in our very first game together last night. Great success.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Path notes: https://forums.playbattlegrounds.com/topic/158530-xbox-game-preview-patch-notes-4/

quote:

Gameplay

Aim acceleration can now be adjusted by players via in-game option

Player weapon damage has been increased against vehicles.  We will continue to monitor player feedback and telemetry and make further balancing adjustments as needed in future updates

FPP Solo matchmaking queue will be made available for NA/EU/and Oceanic servers. We will open other modes within those regions as concurrency allows

Fixed an issue that caused indoor lighting and shadows to appear too dark and blueish

Analog stick acceleration added while exiting the plane and while parachuting

Optimization

PhysX performance enhancements

Server FPS slightly increased

Client FPS slightly increased

Some VFX received slight optimizations

Option

Music on/off option added

Bug fixes

Addressed a number of known crashes

Fixed a UI issue that occurred when multiple players attempted to loot from the same source

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I feel like FPP will be awful on Xbox but I still can't wait to try it after work. Also really hoping the increased damage to vehicles will reduce the number of people just trying to road kill people until the end of the game.

Shatwag
Jan 26, 2003

Laura Croft who?

Live At Five! posted:

...increased damage to vehicles will reduce the number of people just trying to road kill people until the end of the game.

I completely agree but I'll miss it a little because it's just so drat funny.

I really enjoy some of the absurdness of this game so I hope it gets patched to clean up gameplay issues but doesn't lose that fun ridiculousness.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It was amusing at first but it's tiresome now. I mean, I'd prefer they released a game where it was easier to shoot people instead of run them over but I'll settle for this.

I had an 8 kill game where I got in the top 5 end with me being run over by a buggy. It was truly anti-climatic.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

edit: The best crash in the game is when you're riding shotgun and your partner drops so the game just has him floor it and you're using your crappy car as an atv in a straight line in the mountains

first time this happened to me the car managed to bounce itself around all rocks/trees/houses without slowing down enough for me to bail till we crossed half the map and dunked into the sea

gt is xbox unsuck, playing on OC

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
does pc have locational chat or whatever its called? ie. can you talk to the loser hiding the shack next to you?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yes, it's how you kill about 40% of the idiots you find because they're there talking with their squad in voice chat and you and your guys are on Discord, also good for lol'in at the guy you crossbowed in the face as he drove at you on a motorcycle.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Shatwag posted:

I completely agree but I'll miss it a little because it's just so drat funny.

I really enjoy some of the absurdness of this game so I hope it gets patched to clean up gameplay issues but doesn't lose that fun ridiculousness.

Can confirm patch has not really affected vehicles. I think the car takes more damage from bullets, but they're still hilariously impervious. Managed to get all the way to 2nd without firing a single shot. Road killed 4 people driving in ever-shrinking circles, then a frag into a duo having a gun fight around a bus got my 5th. Then I got shot in the face and that was that. So yeah, spending a whole round in a car is still a good option.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe this is a bad idea but I think hitting a vehicle at all should damage the occupants, even if it's slightly reduced damage.

Or just something...as it stands they are just way too godly. A lot of this stuff could be sorted out if the game played better though. Maybe make it so they run out of gas after a few minutes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I have never had to actually use a gas can. I’d be okay with cutting their current capacity or make some start with a quarter tank just to gently caress with folks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now that I'm thinking about it I think having them low on gas would be the best solution. Give enough gas to get to the next zone and maybe get a hit and run along the way, but if someone actually wants to keep a vehicle going they should have to frequently get out and ransack houses for gas cans. At least that involves some sort of risk/reward instead of making you a rolling death machine for the entire match.

The problem isn't how good the vehicles are, it's that they last practically forever. I think every time I've won or been in the top few it was directly thanks to having a vehicle.

That said I'm surprised at how few people use them. They aren't exactly rare. Stick to a road and you'll find one within a few minutes.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
On the PC, using a loud-rear end vehicle in the end game is essentially suicide anytime in the last 3-4 circles unless you're desperate, and I'm not positive on this but I believe they now all start with a varied amount of gas, usually at least half a tank though.

We use a gas can to refill maybe every 5 games on average.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Playing and trying to join group right now. Gt: BobknobLLJK

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just applied to the club as Nostratic. Finally goons to die with!

Shatwag
Jan 26, 2003

Laura Croft who?
I played a few rounds last night. I'd say there is a marginal improvement in frame rate and load times on textures/objects after first dropping in. I didn't notice any difference in vehicle strength. I drove straight at some poor bastard and he shot the car up for several seconds until I ran him over. Also put almost a whole clip from a scar into a dune buggy and it didn't even smoke although the driver did die.

I think turning off the aim acceleration does make the aiming more crisp but it still needs work.

Anyways, good times.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I've found it's pretty easy when I'm being chased by a vehicle to just shoot the driver with something that's at least semiautomatic, sidestep, and finish the passengers off (if any.)

Just unload into the drivers's seat. If you die, they have less to loot from your corpse, if you win (and you should) you will get more things to shoot with.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Well I just experienced some serious bullshit. Got to final circle in a duo and there were 4 left including my friend and I. My buddy kills a guy running for the circle and then we waited for the last guy. We circled around and the last person was clearly not in the circle, it was an open field with no cover. Then the wall collapses and we die and get second place. There's no way that a person could have survived out of the zone for that long, so I'm not sure there even was a 3rd person.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Live At Five! posted:

Well I just experienced some serious bullshit. Got to final circle in a duo and there were 4 left including my friend and I. My buddy kills a guy running for the circle and then we waited for the last guy. We circled around and the last person was clearly not in the circle, it was an open field with no cover. Then the wall collapses and we die and get second place. There's no way that a person could have survived out of the zone for that long, so I'm not sure there even was a 3rd person.

I had a similar thing happen yesterday. I was playing solo and it was down to me and one other guy. I sprint to the final zone which is nothing but a tiny empty field, save for one tree. When I got there I was clearly the only one in it. I scrambled around for close to a minute and couldn't find him anywhere. I eventually took cover by the only tree in the area to try and look for him and still nothing. Eventually I hear a distant pop of a sniper shot and I'm dead.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you have enough health kits, energy drinks, and a level 3 backpack full of them, you can safely stay out in the dead zone for long enough to pick off the dopes in the little circle easy breezy beautiful covergirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I doubt someone had enough meds to survive outside the zone long enough in this game. They would have needed close to 20 med kits, which I guess is possible but considering the state of the game on xbone, I'd say server problems are more likely.

Live At Five! fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 12, 2018