Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

This MMX Race Belongs on the Best Of List.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Love Big Jon. Glad he's with us in 2018.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

JerikTelorian posted:

This MMX Race Belongs on the Best Of List.

Down to the wire for 2 of the 3 runners where one screw up could easily cost you the win. I never was big into megaman, but that race was super fun to watch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Givin posted:

Love Big Jon. Glad he's with us in 2018.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ugh it sucks they have to be up here debunking rear end in a top hat YouTube videos about charity raising money

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I just heard "PC port" and "reason why this game is so broken" so I think the runner just answered my question from the previous page.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
on the other hand I really did enjoy hearing them talk about the process. I like how transparent they are with the process.

Are people just putting their lists up randomly, or are we collecting them into one master post? My sister has satellite so I'm gonna download the good ones and give them to her when I see her next

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ugh it sucks they have to be up here debunking rear end in a top hat YouTube videos about charity raising money

To be fair the videos aren't actually out of concern for charity money, it's just more socially acceptable than saying "they won't let me be a bigot on this internet TV channel"

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Has there been a run at one of these where someone just happens to die like, 70-80% of the way through and loses all their progress? I understand these are the best in the world at running these games, but they're playing fast and loose with their save files it looks like.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Has there been a run at one of these where someone just happens to die like, 70-80% of the way through and loses all their progress? I understand these are the best in the world at running these games, but they're playing fast and loose with their save files it looks like.

usually I'd that's possible the runner will have a safety save just in case.

they have killed a handful of runs that were just going horribly in the past.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Capsaicin posted:

it happens occasionally. If that's a real fear, they usually just have backup save files at or around major chokepoints just in case. And sometimes runs just end up getting mercy killed instead

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Capsaicin posted:

It was part of what made Super Metroid any% NMG races so exciting. No one would save so one mistake could be fatal entirely. Hell, someone who was in dead last ended up winning because he was the only one who didn't make a fatal error.

Sadly they ran Super Metroid into the ground, and a very ill advised comment sort of nuked it for the time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

iospace posted:

Sadly they ran Super Metroid into the ground, and a very ill advised comment sort of nuked it for the time.

There is an actual reason that there's not a Super Metroid race besides 'it was getting old'?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hellioning posted:

There is an actual reason that there's not a Super Metroid race besides 'it was getting old'?

Yeah, it's "nobody submitted a decent Super Metroid run."

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pakled posted:

Yeah, it's "nobody submitted a decent Super Metroid run."

Oh. That works too.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hellioning posted:

The comment they are referring to is last year when one of the couch people that said nothing the entire run, took the mic and pretty much told people saying Waaaaahh in a waluigi voice to go stand in front of a bus outside the hotel and die.

Run on sentences are awesome!

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Metal Gear Solid run was.....

Solid.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The runner for MGS was really good at commentary.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it happens occasionally. If that's a real fear, they usually just have backup save files at or around major chokepoints just in case. And sometimes runs just end up getting mercy killed instead

Looking at you "that Pokemon run that requires a frame perfect button press to set the RNG correctly" and led to 2 hours of "it's not supposed to be like this" until the runner could switch carts to the safety save.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Edit: Wrong thread. MGS run was sick though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JerikTelorian posted:

Looking at you "that Pokemon run that requires a frame perfect button press to set the RNG correctly" and led to 2 hours of "it's not supposed to be like this" until the runner could switch carts to the safety save.

The worst part is the runner still hosed it up after that part and had to redo a pretty good portion of the run.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

JerikTelorian posted:

Really hoping B2/W2 isn’t like that run

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JerikTelorian posted:

link for this please

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

It was this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkKO6ZLIuA

IIRC, the problem is that he wanted a specific seed, but when you save and load a game, you have a different seed for combat damage, etc. I think the position or availability of a certain legendary is set at the time your Trainer ID is set, so he has that saved, but he doesn't have right right combat encounter seed and thus the game is something of a shitshow.

Edit: The MGS3 run was pretty good with some on-stream goon shout outs. The runner suffered from some 60Hz bugs, as well as a few flubs that really rattled him. Fortunately he calmed down enough to finish the game under time, and it was fun to watch for sure.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 9, 2018

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
It also took several minutes for each attempt, and when they failed a few times and moved to their safety save, they found that too much time had elapsed and their seed got scrambled on the safety save, so they had nothing. I think they ended up doing a non-speedrun Let's Play of the game rather than mercy killing the run, limping along for 2+ hours before time ran out.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 9, 2018

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Yeah that Heart Gold run basically relies entirely on RNG manipulation, but that game isn't particularly easy to manipulate. Like, the guy planned on running a route that most runners only nail one out of a handful of times, with no margin for error or safety at all. It was always a dumb idea.

This Halo run is cool, I always love seeing the wacky platform antics that runners find in the series.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Just got back from the event. The MMX race + MGS1 was excellent live. MGS3 I got most of the way through but it takes me about 45 mins to get home and was starting to fade.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I missed the end of mgs 3 but by all accounts he seemed to get less shook up after the end fight

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Is there a place yet where all the VODs are compiled?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Gdq has a youtube that they upload the runs too, generally during the week

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Reddit always has a thread, I just seat he'd for agdq 2018 vod and it came up

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Lobster posted:

http://gdqvods.com/

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks guys!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3KTgd6Qz5c5PMPKSqdUjZmcq4EbsNPk5gGa0EIfkSo/edit#gid=1303272005

Charts updated through Monday. Since that very weak showing from 1 until 9 AM, donations have been the strongest in comparison to last years events. Finally pushed ahead of SGDQ.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Here's the Reddit thread for VODs this year if anybody wants it. They've been very prompt about updating in past marathons.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

World Record on Burnout Paradise.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

The Lobster posted:

World Record on Burnout Paradise.

Worth watching just for the donations

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

El Matador is already going on my recommendation list. It's got a crazy spin mechanic that allows you to clip through anything and fly through the skies, because well, he is EL MATADOR and he does whatever the gently caress he wants

Also, great couch.

e: AlsoSerious Sam 3 was AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 9, 2018

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Worth watching just for the donations

There were a handful of goon callouts in the middle of it too. The donations totally made it worth it though.

The Dye run was also pretty good because they had the Devs sitting on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Slickdrac posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t3KTgd6Qz5c5PMPKSqdUjZmcq4EbsNPk5gGa0EIfkSo/edit#gid=1303272005

Charts updated through Monday. Since that very weak showing from 1 until 9 AM, donations have been the strongest in comparison to last years events. Finally pushed ahead of SGDQ.

Jesus, what happened between 5 AM and 6 AM

• Locked thread