Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

My parents were oddly prudish about certain things, and they forbade me from renting a lot of horror movies with really good box art. This was a blessing in disguise; they were almost universally complete poo poo. I mean, I missed Sleepaway Camp and some so-bad-it's-good stuff, but I also missed Dracula vs. Frankenstein.

I swear, the one at my local video store was a plastic box with an embossed cover. It ruled. This is what the film looks like:

The company that released the video is called "World's Worst Videos", so at least they can't be accused of false advertising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

LesterGroans posted:

Everyone who hasn't seen it should watch Near Dark. It's probably Kathryn Bigelow's best movie, which is saying something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of got brought up in the movie poster thread but the Mechanic remake with Statham is a really solid action movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ben Foster deserves your respect.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of got brought up in the movie poster thread but the Mechanic remake with Statham is a really solid action movie.

The sequel fits the bill too although the action is not filmed particularly well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fortunately you can all skip The Mechanic 2: Resurrection because you're about to watch the best part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjBCy5kOaY

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Has this thread discussed Blaxploitation? I’m not that familiar with the films beyond Black Dynamite.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gatts posted:

Has this thread discussed Blaxploitation? I’m not that familiar with the films beyond Black Dynamite.

Cleopatra Jones is awesome and super fun and also has a lot of firsts for the genre. Besides the other flicks folks will recommend I'd check out:

Action - Three the Hard Way, Gordon's War
Horror - Sugar Hill, Abby

Penitentiary and Penitentiary II are must watches also (I never saw the third one but heard it's pretty good).

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Tango and Cash, which I haven't seen before. I want to like it but it's just not very good, is it?

You know how there was a bit of chat upthread about how Boondock Saints is like the really bad take on Tarantino style quipping hitmen/heist gone wrong movies? This one feels like it's doing the same thing for buddy cop movies and action comedies.

I understand its origins are that Stallone was offered Beverly Hills Cop but didn't like the script, so he rewrote it to remove all the humour/make all the humour really bad, then departed from the project and used his rewrite as the basis for Tango and Cash. It's exactly like "What if Lethal Weapon but not funny or charming?" :(

Jack Palance is fun in it, though. He's the saving grace of it.

Edit: It would at least have been novel if they'd played up the "bad cop, worse cop" bit and just done it like Lethal Weapon if Riggs and Murtuagh were comically corrupt.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 7, 2018

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I understand its origins are that Stallone was offered Beverly Hills Cop but didn't like the script, so he rewrote it to remove all the humour/make all the humour really bad, then departed from the project and used his rewrite as the basis for Tango and Cash. It's exactly like "What if Lethal Weapon but not funny or charming?" :(
Can't remember which book it was in, but I once read a quote from someone saying that Stallone's version of Beverly Hills Cop was basically "he shoots lots of people with a special gun". Oh hi, Cobra.

He renamed Axel Foley to Axel Cobretti, as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I probably had it confused with Cobra.

I think the most noteworthy thing about Tango and Cash is that it's the last movie released in the 1980s.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I really like Tango and Cash, the first act is pretty bland, but once they escape the prison it just ramps up the nonsense and insanity. It’s like they handed the script over to a 13-year-old and let him run wild with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You guys should read the Wikipeadia entry on Tango and Cash, I always thought something felt "off" about it and oh boy...it had troubles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%26_Cash

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never really been interested in seeing Tango & Cash, but now I am, because Brion James is in it. Have I gone completely around the bend with B-movie fandom?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tango & Cash starts with Stallone growling “hit it,” followed by a sick late 80’s hip hop beat. The movie ends with a super Tonka truck driving around an apocalyptic hellscape located somewhere within LA city limits. Brion James uses a cockney accent, badly.

In summary, Tango & Cash is great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd try the Lethal Weapon TV series; it's pretty good. One weird thing is that Damon Wayans is older than Danny Glover was when the original Lethal Weapon movie came out by 15 years but his Murtaugh still seems younger. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tango & Cash sucks but the soundtrack rules.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought I'd try the Lethal Weapon TV series; it's pretty good. One weird thing is that Damon Wayans is older than Danny Glover was when the original Lethal Weapon movie came out by 15 years but his Murtaugh still seems younger. :D

Yeah it's not bad at all. It does a pretty decent job of genuinely trying to recapture the feel of the buddy cop movies of the era.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's definitely up there, no doubt about it.

Kurosawa is often credited with innovating the way action scenes are shot, and Spielberg and George Lucas were known to be two of his most devoted followers. Spielberg once called Kurosawa the Shakespeare of our time. So the scene in Raiders definitely has lots of Kurosawa DNA in it.

He had a very artistic stagey style of direction, but his action scenes felt really...brawly and organic. I love the way people slip over all the time in Seven Samurai, and swing while off balance. I mean, he also did the slick choregraphy in Yojimbo and Sanjuro. Was he the one who crystalised that?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah it's not bad at all. It does a pretty decent job of genuinely trying to recapture the feel of the buddy cop movies of the era.

Strike Back already did this. And it had tits.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 9, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Was he the one who crystalised that?

Absolutely yeah, there are some earlier cases but in general most of the stereotypical samurai action kill "stuff" comes from Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai.

You all probably know, but I love that the iconic someone gets slashed and they freeze and then blood sprays out of them and they fall over slowly was a mistake! At the end of Sanjuro when they filmed that take the mechanism to make the blood spurt out a little bit seemed to malfunction to the person operating it so they kept activating it over and over again causing the massive spray of blood. And I don't know if they realized how imitated and ubiquitous that would become but they knew that it was perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

I don't know that I'd call Ran an action movie, but true to the film's title, it really embodies Kurosawa's styles coming together, with tons of grand stagey theatrical moments that are then immediately destroyed by sloppy and ruthless violence. Holy poo poo that movie is amazing. Kurosawa has two of the best Shakespeare adaptations ever made under his belt between that and Throne of Blood. His flicks really are beautiful, it's crazy. Anyway I don't know if Ran is an action movie per se but that particular battle scene is sooooooo good and brutal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 9, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Absolutely yeah, there are some earlier cases but in general most of the stereotypical samurai action kill "stuff" comes from Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai.

You all probably know, but I love that the iconic someone gets slashed and they freeze and then blood sprays out of them and they fall over slowly was a mistake! At the end of Sanjuro when they filmed that take the mechanism to make the blood spurt out a little bit seemed to malfunction to the person operating it so they kept activating it over and over again causing the massive spray of blood. And I don't know if they realized how imitated and ubiquitous that would become but they knew that it was perfect.

I did a quick bit of googling and it would seem that it kicked off around the early 60s. You've also got the fantastic 'Hara-Kiri' at the same time and 'Sword of Doom' a few years later.

Sword of Doom is especially cool because it was supposed to be the first of a series, but the project fell through. And so the open-ended ending, without a sequel, takes on a new significance and it works perfectly. Like the unanticipated blood spray, it works for reasons the artists may not have intended.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sword of Doom rules and is a must watch. <3

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtAyJPuKuMY

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

To be fair, the serialized novel Sword of Doom was adapted from was also never finished. It also had earlier adaptations with the separate trilogies Souls in the Moonlight and Satan's Sword in the '50s and '60s respectively, which don't seem to be currently available.

Speaking of samurai, I just recently finished the Lone Wolf and Cub series, which are far more action-based and grindhouse than the 1960s style of samurai cinema. Very fun with lots of arterial spray. I'm looking forward to moving on to the Lady Snowblood and Zatoichi series soon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lady Snowblood 2 is such a worse movie but gets by on having a few extremely cathartic moments of assholes getting owned. Awesome double feature of course.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nroo posted:

To be fair, the serialized novel Sword of Doom was adapted from was also never finished. It also had earlier adaptations with the separate trilogies Souls in the Moonlight and Satan's Sword in the '50s and '60s respectively, which don't seem to be currently available.

Oh, it wasn't a mark against the film. It's a great ending, speaking to the character's refusal to change and his inevitable self destruction. It's just funny that it was conceived partially as a sequel hook.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Oh, we're talking samurai flicks now? Let me throw Hanzo the Razor out there- 3 movies with lots of violence, booby traps, fuzz tone guitar, some goofy dreamlike cinematography, and disturbing interrogation techniques.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

Oh, we're talking samurai flicks now? Let me throw Hanzo the Razor out there- 3 movies with lots of violence, booby traps, fuzz tone guitar, some goofy dreamlike cinematography, and disturbing interrogation techniques.

Isn't that the one about the guy who makes women orgasm so hard it acts as torture?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Isn't that the one about the guy who makes women orgasm so hard it acts as torture?

Correct and personally I'm not crazy about them but I would say the first one is worth checking out depending on what you're looking for. Like brocked says if you want what's basically the feudal Japan equivalent of a 70s grindhouse exploitation crime flick they are the final word.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Correct and personally I'm not crazy about them but I would say the first one is worth checking out depending on what you're looking for. Like brocked says if you want what's basically the feudal Japan equivalent of a 70s grindhouse exploitation crime flick they are the final word.

Woah. More so than Lone Wolf and Cub? Because the's pretty high in the pantheon of 'action hero played by schlubby looking guy'

If anyone hasn't read the comics the lone wolf and cub movies are based on, they're really good and better than the films, largely by dint of not having the action lead played by an awkward looking guy with a double chin.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Close, I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he probably played Zatoichi in any of the movies you've seen (except the Takeshi Kitano version)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

brocked posted:

Close, I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he probably played Zatoichi in any of the movies you've seen (except the Takeshi Kitano version)

They're brothers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

brocked posted:

It's true, Hanzo the Razor is played by THE Zatoichi, Shintaro Katsu himself.

He actually made his own production company after IIRC Daiei collapsed and these were the first things he produced. So of course his dick being so huge that it can be used as a form of interrogation on female suspects is a major plot point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This Lethal Weapon TV show has me thinking: Face/Off: The Series. If you made it today, it'd be 13 episodes redoing the plot of the movie; if you made it 10 years ago, every season would be 22 episodes and every episode would be about Sean Archer taking his face off and replacing it with the bad guy of the week's face as the ultimate deep cover, while he's trying to work out which bad guy of the week is Castor Troy, who took his face off at the end of the pilot episode and has been taking his face off on a weekly basis as the ultimate disguise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true, Hanzo the Razor is played by THE Zatoichi, Shintaro Katsu himself.

He actually made his own production company after IIRC Daiei collapsed and these were the first things he produced. So of course his dick being so huge that it can be used as a form of interrogation on female suspects is a major plot point.

I figured that guy never had time to take any other roles, it seems like he had a Zatoichi movie to film like every single year for 20 years or something. He has to have the record for playing the same character in the highest number of films.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Wheat Loaf posted:

This Lethal Weapon TV show has me thinking: Face/Off: The Series. If you made it today, it'd be 13 episodes redoing the plot of the movie; if you made it 10 years ago, every season would be 22 episodes and every episode would be about Sean Archer taking his face off and replacing it with the bad guy of the week's face as the ultimate deep cover, while he's trying to work out which bad guy of the week is Castor Troy, who took his face off at the end of the pilot episode and has been taking his face off on a weekly basis as the ultimate disguise.
That sounds goddamn amazing (the 10y ago version) and now I wish that was a thing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I still say my ideal action movie TV series adaption would be True Lies with Terry Crews in the Schwarzenegger role. Part Expendables, part Everybody Hates Chris, all Terry all the time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

I still say my ideal action movie TV series adaption would be True Lies with Terry Crews in the Schwarzenegger role. Part Expendables, part Everybody Hates Chris, all Terry all the time.

Who plays the Bill Paxton character that he repeatedly abuses and is constantly loving with?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Matt Dillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

B.J Novak.