Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
How did some of you not stock up on starters during the event? They were EVERYWHERE. Treecko was the only one that I saw before the event itself.

Treecko: 35/37
Torchic: 77/83
Mudkip: 38/38

Now I'm seeing jack poo poo. Only one Treecko popped up at work today, outside that it's been absolute trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Louisgod posted:

How did some of you not stock up on starters during the event? They were EVERYWHERE. Treecko was the only one that I saw before the event itself.

Treecko: 35/37
Torchic: 77/83
Mudkip: 38/38

Now I'm seeing jack poo poo. Only one Treecko popped up at work today, outside that it's been absolute trash.

That's cool, but I only really saw a lot of Treecko. Torchic to some degree, but barely any Mudkip. Also, I didn't spend hours playing this game during the event (just one hour and a half spree catching Wailmer at a local nest).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mudkips were everywhere here, but Treeckos were fairly rare. I like the weather system a lot more now that the gen 3 wave is over - it seems like weather really is influencing the sorts of spawns that show up. Unfortunately we already had a weedle-heavy biome, and it's always either rainy or cloudy here this time of year. On the bright side, it's almost a return to the Pidgey days in terms of evolving sprees!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The event was rad for me.

I had enough Torchic Candy to make 3 Blaziken (including my 420 Blaziken) with enough left over for a fourth, two Sceptile, and two Swampert.

Plus I got a Wailord and enough candy for Spheal's final evolution, though I was unable to catch a good enough one to evolve. I also finally got my Ice Gold medal. Just steel and dragon is left for me now.

But now it's just pidgeys and the Rose lady again, so I hope the next batch comes soon.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 5, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
someone got a lotad? I was wondering if they were regional.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mastershakeman posted:

Caught one today in the UK.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

mastershakeman posted:

They're not regional, just rare, even in rain.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh and apparently Seviper/Zangoose have switched regions, not sure if that was mentioned in here yet.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Think way more common than Unown and slightly less common than Magikarp.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Oh and apparently Seviper/Zangoose have switched regions, not sure if that was mentioned in here yet.
Can confirm, caught a Seviper this morning in North America. Were they the only regional switch?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I caught tons of mudkips and torchics, but the weather was rarely sunny so I didn't get many Treeckos. And when I did, i usually didn't use pinaps as for once I was running low on them and starter Pokemon are a real pain to catch at higher levels.

Edit: I saw a Plusle earlier, so it looks like that switch didn't happen.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There were Seedots everywhere in Asheville NC. Back here in Central IL I never got enough torchics.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I got Blaziken, Marshtomp and Grovyle, so it's a huge improvement on how quickly I got previous starters (like getting Feraligatr solely through Raids and getting a Totodile last Nov). I don't mind if I just catch a single Pokemon in an evolution line, I can just walk it for candy later. So far I'm pretty happy with the amount of Gen 3 stuff that spawned during the event, though I'm still missing a good chunk of the second wave stuff, like Shroomish, Barboach, Lotad, etc.

Also I pretend all 3* and above Raid stuff are regionals I'll hopefully get when Raids stop being garbage to rural areas.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I was in a small town for the holidays, and the entire event. Didn't see much good stuff during it overall but got a crapload of makuhita candy. I live in a reasonably large city so I have access to most Pokemon eventually. Since we went to OSM and got weather, our dry rivers actually have water spawns in them now.

I'm only missing some of the oddball ones like lotad line, feebas, and a couple others I think. Wailord is gonna take a while unless I get to run along the river soon.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I saw a pretty good number of Treecko and Mudkip but almost no Torchic.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yup, I'm back to Pidgeys, Rats and Hoots. Game officially back to boring.

I wasn't sure when the event was ending proper and was about to post the other day I lamented not being able to catch Pidgey anymore. Back to collecting for the next double exp evolve marathon!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've seen a lot of Feebas lately but they are all female and all horrible stats. And all in gated communities.

They spawned one deep inside a manufacturing plant and then one way down a canal that would be illegal and probably deadly to go into.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

More Wailmer, which is excellent, because I caught a perfect one. Only level 7 though, so I need about 600 candies to make him a proper big boy.

Hilariously I'm the same except level 8. I'm at 353 candy and lord knows if I'll stock up enough candy to get it to decent level once I get past enough to evolve it. I guess its CP doesn't really mean poo poo since a perfect max CP Wailord is just 2258.

AweStriker posted:

I saw a pretty good number of Treecko and Mudkip but almost no Torchic.

Same except flip Mudkip and Torchic. My area is already common with fire spawns so I'm still seeing them even today. Gotta walk the rest to evolve my 100% Mudkip.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Shiny Snorunt out of nowhere! It's terrible, of course, but shiny!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PoGo+ throws my numbers out of whack but I saw a decent amount of the G3 starters:

Treecko 58/77
Torchic 79/118
Mudkip 49/67

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ditto, I was catching 4-5 sloths a day before.

I've seen a lot of Feebas lately but they are all female and all horrible stats. And all in gated communities.

Why does it being female matter? I never played past Gen 2 so I'm out of the loop. I've heard you have to walk the specific one you're gonna evolve for 20km too.

I caught my first one today, poo poo stats but nice to finally have one.

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 6, 2018

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Psychobabble! posted:

Why does it being female matter? I never played past Gen 2 so I'm out of the loop. I've heard you have to walk the specific one you're gonna evolve for 20km too.

I caught my first one today, poo poo stats but nice to finally have one.

I hatched my first one ever yesterday, and I actually wanted a female one instead of a male one since I think of it as Lady Gyarados

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Wailord is the best

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Miss Blissey was kicked outside the gym! :haw:

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Can you tell if a Pokemon is shiny from the storage list or do I have to look at each one individually?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Mavric posted:

Can you tell if a Pokemon is shiny from the storage list or do I have to look at each one individually?

It depends on the mon - some are more obvious than others. You can always test by trying to mass transfer, because the game won't let you do that with shinies.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Ok good. I was worried I unluckily mass transferred one away, turns out I'm just normal unlucky.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wish Niantic made it so that you couldn't mass transfer perfect IV Pokemon, that would save so much time appraising those things

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Parrotine posted:

Wish Niantic made it so that you couldn't mass transfer perfect IV Pokemon, that would save so much time appraising those things

This is brilliant; however, I don't think they'll ever put it in.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

kensei posted:

This is brilliant; however, I don't think they'll ever put it in.

Considering they don't really even acknowledge IVs in the game beyond "Golly, that's dandy!" comments.

The whole idea of having a stat that matters that you can't readily see without a 3rd party app is just a weird implementation imo.

And yeah, I get it, IVs make a very very small difference come battle time.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
Perhaps I misunderstood; weren't star pieces supposed to be GA in the shop after the even ended? I haven't used the ones I got, but I was just noticing they are gone.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Das Doppelganger posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood; weren't star pieces supposed to be GA in the shop after the even ended? I haven't used the ones I got, but I was just noticing they are gone.

They only appear during special sales, much like super incubators

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I can't wait for this game to give us Arceus only for it to have lower max CP than Vaporeon.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Did weather always change dynamically? I thought it only changed at the top of the hour. I'm missing hundos.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

First time I’ve seen rain in LA and only 1 shuckle spawned, ton of snubbull and sandshrew tho :sigh:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lucked upon two Lotad today in the rain :v:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The weather spawns seem pretty hit or miss overall and ultimately still at the mercy of the biome you live in. It's been raining most of the day here in Oregon (weird right?) yet spawns still mostly reflect the biome (in this case, grass).

It's a neat system on paper that whittles down the stardust drought by offering bonuses and wild level 35 pokemon but Niantic could at least ramp up the weather spawns a bit more.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I think maybe something needs to be tweaked in some areas. Cloudy today and there's a bazillion makuhita, Machop, Ralts, serviper, and others, so we're doing on for weather spawns here at least on an area wide scanner map.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Did weather always change dynamically? I thought it only changed at the top of the hour. I'm missing hundos.

Pretty sure I saw a post before saying it's every 30 minutes?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's every hour, but it can also be different in different locations so if you are moving around it could change at some other time. Apparently they use AccuWeather's hourly predictions as the weather.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Entropist posted:

It's every hour, but it can also be different in different locations so if you are moving around it could change at some other time. Apparently they use AccuWeather's hourly predictions as the weather.

I think that's what happened to me. Still sucks to have rain pouring on my roof and seeing cloudy weather in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Entropist posted:

That's what I thought, but last night this popped up on the scanner at 1:14, notice that it has no weather boost(it was cloudy at the time):

So naturally I went over to get it because I wanted that fail whale, drat it, and it was close by. When I got there at 1:35, I got this weather boosted guy:

I was actually pretty bummed about it, tbh.

Anyways, so I'm leaning towards half an hour changes, or that they're at least possible if the weather changes but I haven't paid much attention to it. All I have to go on are those screenshots taken 20 mins apart that were in relatively close proximity to each other(about 1-2 miles)

• Locked thread